Payback

Deal Breaker
Please log in to read the full chapter

She halted when she saw his familiar back on her way to the Library.

 

After their last conversation, she would rather stay out of his sight for a few more days. Running to the nearest corner, she looked back to where Luhan is still standing as though waiting for someone. 

 

Not waiting for her hopefully. 

 

As far as she could remember, they have nothing scheduled for the day. Unless he had something urgent to talk with her, he should have texted her. The absence of a text message gave her a license to not have a reason to chase him.

 

"Who are you hiding from?" Kris' familiar deep voice almost made her jump out of her hiding place.

 

"No one," was her quick reply, while trying to act nonchalant. She looked up at him, squinting.

 

If he noticed her weirdness, he didn't say anything. Instead, he invited her for a snack.

 

He said it in a way that sounded stiff, she almost laughed.

 

Between having to deal with Luhan's irresistible charm and Kris' good-natured personality, she chose the latter.

 

There's no harm in talking with him. He's always been nice to her.

 

And she needed a distraction anyway.

 

###

 

What's the use of a handsome distraction when her mind would helplessly wander back to the doe-eyed boy she was hiding from earlier?

 

She discreetly looked at her phone, while Kris droned about the subjects he's in danger of flunking.

 

No text message.

 

For all she knew, he was probably waiting for someone else, a fan perhaps? Or a girl he's crushing on?

 

Then why did she feel jealous at the prospect? 

 

A made-up cough pulled her out of her trance. She guiltily looked up.

 

Kris' expression could be likened to that of someone waiting for a reaction which she clearly failed to give on time.

 

What was he talking about earlier?

 

Like connecting the dots, Dara figured out what had him worried.

 

Subjects. Flunking. Basketball. 

 

Luhan...

 

Don't even go there.

 

Kris is in trouble with some of his subjects?

 

Just like Luhan.

 

Not again. 

 

Stop thinking about him.

 

Before Kris could voice out the favor he's been meaning to ask of her, she said, "You need my help?"

 

###

 

Kris' small smile cannot be wiped off. He had hit two birds with one stone as the saying goes.

 

Not only did he succeed in offering financial help to Dara, he will get to spend some time with her.

 

And he meant to make every time spent with her meaningful.

 

###

 

"Is there a problem?" Dara asked as she sat with her friends during lunch.

 

Bom's frown was alarming. It's enough to answer Dara's question. 

 

There seemed to be a problem, alright. And she hoped it had nothing to do with her.

 

Minutes later, Dara wanted to run upon hearing the word 'Make Over'.

 

How bad the things Bom heard while in the rest room, Dara had to know. In a hushed voice, Bom told them what she had accidentally heard.

 

Knowing Bom, she wouldn't stop until Dara is convinced. Those girls gossiping criticized Dara as though she's the ugliest girl at school. This Bom had emphasized, adding how she had restrained herself from announcing she was there, hearing all the trash talk. 

 

It should be understandable how affected she was and why she's insisting now that the only way to prove those gossipers wrong was if Dara will accept her 'brilliant' suggestion. 

 

Minzy and CL were nodding in encouragement, showing their approval, which only made Bom more persistent to Dara's dismay.

 

That would be the perfect revenge, Bom reasoned.

 

"They will be in for a rude awakening. It's either they're blind to your natural beauty or they're simply insecure. Add to that the fact that you've been spending a lot of time with Luhan lately." 

 

She need not mention that last part, in Dara's opinion. She felt her cheeks grow warm.

 

There was a triumphant smile on Bom's face while she's probably imagining her plan and how it'll put the gossipers where they belong.

 

"I'll think about it." Not wanting to be vain, but must she really resort to a make over? Is there something wrong with her?

 

Realizing the term 'make over' does not suit her, Bom rephrased it as 'enhancement only' since Dara is already pretty.  

 

Wanting to change the subject, Dara told them about Kris' generous offer in exchange of a tutorial session.

 

"Oh my God!" Bom exclaimed, a little too loud. Those nearby threw curious glances at their table.

 

Dara gave Bom a wary glance.

 

"Oh, sorry. What did you tell him?" She said in a somewhat hushed voice.

 

"Of course, you all know my financial situation right? You can't blame me if I accepted his offer."

 

"I wonder how many more should we add to the long list of girls wanting to be in your shoes right now," CL whispered.

 

"This I got to see. He's the second most popular guy at school. I'd be really surprised if no one will have a violent reaction to this," Minzy's brows furrowed in curiosity.

 

"Prepare yourself," Bom reminded if Dara needed reminding.

 

Dara had thought about it last night. She really needed the money. If it was worth it, she'll find out soon after their first study session.

 

That was the longest lunch break Dara had to go through, really. And they were only able to eat after all the talk.

 

And later, she wondered whether her and Luhan's study session will be just as long. 

 

Maybe she wouldn't notice the time. 

 

Well, because she enjoyed it no matter how much she would strongly deny that it meant nothing.

 

###

 

"What's this for?" Dara asked when Luhan handed her a red box, which looked like those displayed at malls during Valentine's Day. They met late in the afternoon at the tables by the courtyard. Anyone who'll pass by will immediately conclude that Luhan was giving her a box of chocolates.

 

"A thank-you present?"

 

He's not even sure. How was Dara going to accept such a present?

 

She pushed the small package to him, as politely as possible. "Thanks but I can't accept this."  

 

"Why?" It sounded like a whine. But a cute one.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter