Distant

Deal Breaker
Please log in to read the full chapter

Monday morning, Dara tightly hugged the thick book against her chest, as though drawing strength from it to be able to do what she had to do.

 

Why was she feeling jittery at the prospect of approaching Luhan?

 

She saw him by his locker, putting in some books while struggling with the letters that occupy half of the space—more than half actually because some even fell on the floor. 

 

He quickly picked up the letters and forcefully shoved it inside his useless locker.

 

With a deep sigh, she walked up to him. She could already feel the intensity of the dagger-like glares directed at her by some fangirls who were standing nearby. Refusing to be affected, she kept her usually cold expression on and focused on her target.

 

"Luhan-ssi," she began. It sounded like a squeak to her. Not loud enough she supposed that's why he didn't even realize her presence. He was busily stacking the letters but it still looked messy from where she was standing.

 

She could hear the incoherent whispers. Great, today will probably be the beginning of her social life's downfall— Oh wait, she didn't have a social life according to Bom.

 

The pressure to make the conversation quicker than quick was pressing.

 

"Luhan-ssi, you got a minute?" She finally managed to make her voice loud enough.

 

He turned to his left and was startled to find her there. "Oh. Sure," he replied, sounding a bit confused why she was talking to him all of a sudden.

 

"I'll help you. Meet me at the study hall near the Library later at around four o'clock to talk about some arrangements. Is that fine with you?" she asked in a business-like tone.

 

His face completely brightened. "Really?!" A charming smile graced his lips and she was fascinated by it. 

 

Before such feeling become transparent, she was able to suppress it. Focus Dara, she commanded herself because this is not the time to let past feelings emerge.

 

"Yes."

 

"Thank you so much," he said, relief was evident in his handsome features.

 

"See you later," this she said in a soft voice before walking away, because to be honest, she was kind of nervous at what's going to befall her later in the hands of his fangirls.

 

 

*  *  *  *  *

 

As usual, the cafeteria was buzzing with continuous chatter. Minzy and CL were late again.

 

"Omo!" Bom suddenly shrieked when she sat down and saw what was on Dara's hair. Her blood boiled at the prospect that it had anything to do with her friend's decision to help Luhan. It was the only reason she could think of.

 

"Ya! What's wrong with you?" Dara asked, already taking the lid off of the dressing for her vegetable salad.

 

Bom leaned closer to whisper. "Someone stuck gum on your hair."

 

Dara in her breath. She shouldn't be surprised right? Such was the consequence. But really, sticking gum on her hair was all they are capable of? Fine, she needed a haircut anyway.

 

"Where is it exactly?"

 

"It's on the left side, the lower one-third of your hair length. Thank goodness it's not on the top of your head," she answered, annoyed at whoever did it.

 

"Do you have scissors?" was her calm question. Her eyes roamed around for the suspect. But she couldn't find anyone suspicious.

 

Bom wordlessly rummages in her bag for her not so sharp scissors, the kind that's included in sewing kits.

 

"Please cut it," she requested while uncapping the bottle of her orange juice.

 

"Here and now?" Bom asked in disbelief.

 

"Yes and please be discreet. Just the part where the gum is stuck. I'll cut it later at home." Thank goodness their table is located near the corner.

 

"Ya! How can you be so calm about this?" Bom asked while discreetly taking the hair strands that needs to be cut.

 

"It's just hair, it'll eventually grow back."

 

Seconds later, Bom placed the cut strands on the table. Dara wrapped it in a table napkin and put it on her bag's pocket.

 

"How dare them do such immature act," she fumed, obviously angrier than Dara could manage to feel. 

 

"Don't worry. I'm sure they won't do anything harmful," she said even though she's uncertain of it.

 

*  *  *  *

Please log in to read the full chapter