Epilogue

The Love Replacement
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song inserted in this chap: Eternal Love by Michael Learns To Rock. (credit to owner)

 

1 month later… (New York)

 

Park Shin Hye parted her lips in awe as she walked into the huge and beautiful penthouse. It was so big and it was at least two times bigger than the apartment they stayed in Korea. She walked straight towards the glass sliding door, opened it slowly and stepped out to the balcony. The size of the balcony was at least about the same size as the apartment she rent in Korea. No kidding, just the balcony itself was so big. When her eyes looked further to the view in front of her, she gasped and her hands naturally moved to her 4 months growing baby bump. The penthouse is facing directly to the New York Harbor. She could see the tiny Statue of Liberty in front of her.

“Do you like it?”

A deep voice that came from behind of her shook her off from her deep thoughts. She squirmed a little when Min Ho wrapped his arms around her slightly swollen belly with his hand caressed it tenderly.

Shin Hye inhaled a deep breath. “What is there not to like?” The house is so big and the view is breathtakingly beautiful. She sighed softly before she turned around, facing him. She looked at him with a disbelief gaze. “Really? A penthouse in the Ritz Carlton Residence with a New York Harbor view?” She paused, biting her lips. “Please tell me you rent it.” Her eyes were stern on him.

Min Ho could tell she is not pleased with the new apartment. She looked angry and serious. He cleared his throat and stared at her warily. “Hmmm… I hmmm… I… bought it…” His voice was getting softer and softer. He studied her face intently before he continued. “Since I decided to move here in New York, I’ve been looking for an apartment like this. You know, when we wake up, the first thing we see is something that reminds us about our happy love story. This is perfect. This is a dream house, a home sweet home.” He smiled slightly when she didn’t say anything and he tightened his arms around her. “By the way, why are you so angry? I thought any woman will jump in joy when they see a penthouse like this.”

Looking quietly at him for a moment, Shin Hye finally let out a defeated sigh. “I’m not any woman. And of course I understand your intention to get a place like this. Perfect is not enough to describe this house. The view… the view is more than perfect. But we are only 3 persons here. I mean even after your mother is recover and move in to stay with us, there will only be 4 of us. Why do we need to stay in such a big place?” She paused and sighed again. “And I don’t even dare to ask you about the price of this house.”

Min Ho grinned cheekily at her. “We won’t be 4 of us forever. Our family will expand and we definitely need a big place like this.”

Shin Hye pursed her lips and become speechless. She just couldn’t do anything when he smiled and acted so boyish in front of her.

Min Ho moved his hand up and caressed her cheek lovingly. “And most importantly, I want to give you the best.” He continued with his eyes looking intensely at her. “The Statue of Liberty, the Central Park, the New York Harbor, the Empire State Building, all of these places was our sweet memories. Those places meant so much to us.”

She held his hand that was touching her face and squeezed it softly. She smiled helplessly. “I know. And even I’m angry now but deep inside my heart, I’m jumping in joy. But I just think that we shouldn’t spend lavishly since both of us are jobless now.”

He laughed and pulled her into his embrace. His chest is vibrating against her face. “So this is what you were worried about?” He kissed her soft hair and continued again. “If you are worried that we are jobless, then let me tell you that I already have a plan for that. We won’t be jobless very soon.”

“Plan?” Shin Hye pulled back slightly and looked at him curiously. “What plan?”

Min Ho smiled secretively. “I’ll let you know after everything is confirm. It’s still too early to tell you now.”

Shin Hye narrowed her eyes and hit his chest softly. “Don’t tell me you are going to buy me an art school or something. I don’t think my weak heart could bear that kind of surprise.”

Another loud laughter rings into her ears. “Although that is a very good idea but no. It’s not that.” He paused and looked into her eyes. “You have no idea how much money that your husband have. You really don’t need to worry about money when you are with me. You should learn it by now that I’m quite a wealthy man.”

Now it was Shin Hye’s turn to laugh. “My husband? Who is my husband? The last time I checked, I’m still not married yet.” She as she raised her left hand up, showing him her empty ring finger.

Min Ho bit his lip, as he looked at her hand, speechless. He took her hand and placed it against his chest before looking at her again. “It was my fault that this beautiful finger of yours is still empty. No worries. I’ll fix this situation real soon. One thing at a time.”

Shin Hye laughed softly as she nodded. “Okay. I’ll wait patiently for your next surprise. But before that, can we go now? Sook Joo eonnie is waiting for us in the fast food restaurant. Let’s go.” She held his hand and both of them smiling happily heading towards the door.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

“What are we doing here?” Shin Hye asked as both of them holding hand in hand, walking in the Central Park. “I thought we are going to the hospital to visit your mother.”

Min Ho didn’t reply her and just smiled at her. He finally stopped walking when they reach the Bow Bridge. Turning towards her, he looked into her eyes and smiled. “Do you still remember what I told you during the first time I brought you here?”

Shin Hye smiled. “Of course I remembered. You said the Bow Bridge is one of the most romantic setting in New York. It gracefully gathers lovers in real life. There were a lot of lovers who had their proposals and wedding here.” She looked at him and chuckled. “Are you planning to propose to me here? But I didn’t see you holding any flowers. If you think I’ll say yes just because you knocked me up, then you are very wrong. I’m not going to yes so easily without a diamond ring or flowers.” She said teasingly.

Without saying anything, Min Ho stepped forward and held her hand. His serious and intense gaze makes her felt nervous in a sudden.

“You were right about the story of this Bow Bridge and you were also right that I’m going to propose to you here today.” He said with a slight smile on his lips. Tightening his grip on her hand, he continued again. “I’m not a romantic person. As what I told you last time when we were here, I got everything very easily since I was a kid. I don’t need to fight or struggle to get anything.” He paused and inhaled softly. “But after meeting you, I felt different. The feeling I had for you was so different and terrifying. You seems easy to get, too easy that I didn’t cherish in the past. It was a tough and painful journey that we have to go through before we could finally be together.”

He smiled again. “I know flowers is a must for a marriage proposal but I didn’t buy any because I don’t think those are what you want.”       

Shin Hye didn’t say anything and just listened to what he say with full concentration. She was just teasing him about the flowers. What he said now was so much more precious than anything. Her body went stiff almost instantly when he suddenly got down on one knee, kneeling before her, staring deep into her eyes. He moved his hand into his pocket and took something out. He lifted his hand up to her, opened her palm slowly and her eyes reddened when she saw the thing he put in her hand. It was not a ring but a cufflink.  

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

It’s a beautiful feeling

What we got deep inside

We got a flame that will last forever

Together you and I

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

 

Shin Hye swallowed hard and looked at Min Ho again. “I thought after I left you in the apartment that night, you have already thrown this away. I never thought you are still keeping it.”

Min Ho glanced at the cufflink and smiled. “How can I throw this away? This cufflink is not just a symbol of your grandmother’s love for your grandfather but it also symbolized the promise that I made to your grandmother. I still remembered that day when I went to see her after received her call. She is the bravest woman I have ever seen. Although she knew that she will be dying soon but she was not afraid at all.” He paused and took Shin Hye’s hand and caressed it softly. “You must have taken the brave character from her.”

Shin Hye sniffed back the tears as she took a deep breath. “W-What are you trying to say?”

Holding her gaze for a moment, Min Ho spoke again. “Your grandmother was right all along. It’s really not easy to not fall in love with you.”

“Even if you don’t love her now, you will eventually fall in love with her. I’m very sure about that.”

He smiled recalling what her grandmother told him that day. “She was so sure that I’ll eventually fall in love with you.” He looked up at her again. “What is there not to love? You are so beautiful in and out, so kind, so brave, so strong. You are the most beautiful and lucky thing that have ever happened to me.”

His eyes slowly shifted down to her swollen stomach. “And now, you are the mother of my child.” He took the cufflink and brought it up to her eye level. “This cufflink was a present given by your grandmother to your grandfather. Before he passed away, he gave this cufflink to your father and wants him to make a promise to love, to take care and to protect your mother forever. And he did it. Even in death, he was there with her.” He squeezed her hand softly when he saw the tears pooling in her eyes. “Although their love didn’t stay for a long time but I’m very sure their love story will still continue in somewhere far away from us. I couldn’t thank them enough for bringing such a beautiful girl into my life.”

“Before your grandmother passed away, she gave me this cufflink and want me to promise her too that I’ll take care of you and love you. At that time, I hesitated and didn’t make that promise whole-heartedly. Of course I’ll take care of you but I’m not sure I could really love you. I was unsure with my own feelings and let you slipped away from me for 3 years.” Min Ho paused and heaved another deep breath. He looked into Shin Hye’s eyes with full sincerity. “So this is the reason why I brought you back here today. Standing at the place that I pledged to win your heart back, I would like to make the same promise once again.”

He gently opened Shin Hye’s palm and put the cufflink into her hand. He then put his hand into his pocket and took a beautiful diamond ring out. The diamond ring was delicate and beautiful, sparkling under the sunlight.     

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

Such a rush of emotions

There’s no way we can push it away

Cause they’ll never tear our love apart

Our bond will never break

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

 

Shin Hye covered with her hand, trying to stifle her sobs. Her heart was beating so fast as her breathing accelerates. No word could describe how she felt right now. The image of her meeting him for the first time in the nightclub suddenly replayed in her mind. He was so handsome and those gazes in his eyes were so intense and dangerous that it burned into hers. That was the moment when she fell in love with him. After everything happened between them, she never dream that he will one day kneel down before her, asking her to marry him. Her beautiful dream has finally come true today.

Min Ho inhaled a deep breath before he spoke again. “I never told you before that I have bought this ring for a long time.”

“For a long time?” Shin Hye managed to ask through her thick emotion.

He nodded. “That night on your birthday, when you came to my apartment and take care of me because of my stomach ulcer, I was actually planning to propose to you.”

Shin Hye tilted her head and raised her brows in surprise.

“That day was the first time I finally admits to myself that you are not a replacement but is someone very important to me. That day was also the first time that I took the courage to confess to you that I love you.” He smiled thinking back of his late confession on that day. “But too bad. I was late. You chose Jong Suk. This ring was hiding in my pocket for the whole night. I was so heartbroken and I even shed tears after you left. But also because of that, I understand how much pain I have brought to you all those years. I never thought that you would give me a second chance to give you this ring again.”

 

“I love you…”

“I was too stubborn to admit that I have already fall in love with you because a part of me still couldn’t let So Ra go.”

“It’s too late.”

“If you told me all this 3 years ago, I will be very happy and no matter how hard it is, how long you need me to wait for you, I will never leave you. But your confession was 3 years too late.”

“Go now… before I change my mind, go now.”

 

Shin Hye stared down at the diamond ring and a tear finally rolled down her eyes.

“There is shine and rain in life but once the storm is over, we’ll see bright shiny day again. I was so stupid to let you go in the past and broke your heart into pieces. But I’m grateful that I was given a second chance. Thank god that it was not too late to mend your heart and win you back. Having you by my side is what completes me.” Min Ho said as he looked at her expectantly. He cleared his throat before he said the most important line in his life.

“Marry me, Park Shin Hye.”

Tears were now streaming down her cheeks uncontrollably. She held his gaze and her lips slowly curled into a soft smile. It was not sad tears; it was happy and beautiful tears. She slowly lifted up her left hand and brought it closer to him.

“Yes, I’ll marry you, Lee Min Ho.”

Min Ho almost jumped up and screams in joy. He couldn’t hide his excitement and laughed happily. He took her hand and quickly slipped the ring on her finger. He got to his feet and pulled her into his arms, hugging her tightly.

“Thank you for saying yes.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Inside a beautiful traditional elegance Riverside Church in New York City, Min Ho was standing at the side of the chancel beside the priest, looking happy and nervous at the same time. He was wearing a black suit with a black bow t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter