A Faded Love

The Love Replacement
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So Ra.”

Lee Min Ho finally found his voice back after a long intense silence between them. He just finished a brunch meeting with a client and was thinking to get something nearby. When he came out of his car, he saw a girl fell down and he quickly rushed over to help her. He never thought the woman that he have been looking for so many years was now standing right in front of him. Except for being slimmer now, she still look the same.

Kang So Ra was too nervous and the only thing that appeared in her mind at that moment was to leave that place as soon as possible. But she never thought the harder she wanted to hide, the easier she will be found. When she fell down and someone grab hold of her arm, she just wants to quickly thank that person and run away as soon as possible. When she looked up and her eyes locked with the familiar gaze that she have missed for the past 3 years, everything that she forced herself to forget was now rushing back into her mind again. Everything around her seems to freeze at that moment and suddenly it became so difficult for her to breathe. Her heart was beating so fast that she felt her hands were covered with cold sweat due to nervousness.   

“M-Min Ho oppa…” She said the name that was once made her heart fluttered every time she called him.

Min Ho held his breath and looked at her in disbelief. He needs someone to tell him that he was not dreaming now. He has used so many ways to find her but none of it could locate where she was. And now, out of the blue she was suddenly standing right in front of him. He always think that if he really found her one day, the first thing he would do was to pull her into his arms, embrace her tightly and never let her go again. But now, with her really standing right in front of him, the feeling was so much different. He finally understands the heart that was broken by her has recovered for a long time without him realizing it. The pain that he felt all these while has no longer because of her.  

“Y-You…” Before he could finish what he wanted to ask, he sensed someone was looking at them and when he turned around, his eyes were widened in shock. The person that stood right behind him was the last person he wants to see now.

“S-Shin Hye… what are you doing here?” He asked.

So Ra turned to Shin Hye too and she quickly averted her gaze when their eyes met. She is Jong Suk’s girlfriend and it means she knows about her. Shin Hye have helped her a lot for the fundraising event and she felt bad for lying to her.

Shin Hye fiddled her skirt nervously before she looked at Min Ho. After the painful break up in the apartment during her birthday, she never thought she would see him again anytime soon, especially at a time like this. Her mind was clouded with a lot of questions. She was confused. The Kang So Hyun she knew was actually Kang So Ra, the woman that has been haunting her, hurting her indirectly for the past 3 years. So she was the one that Min Ho has been waiting and loved for so long, the one that he used herself to remind him about her. And the funniest part was they already knew each other and she like to be friend with her. She glanced at So Ra before she looked down and chuckled silently. It seems like the fate has never stop teasing them.

“I was having a drink with…” Shin Hye paused and inhaled deeply. “… Kang So Ra-sshi.”

So Ra looked back at Shin Hye apologetically. “S-Shin Hye… I’m…” She bit her lip, doesn’t know how to explain to her.

Min Ho creased his brows, still looking at Shin Hye. “You know So Ra?” His tone was surprise.

Shin Hye took another deep breath before she nodded. “She is one of the volunteer from the orphanage charity body in Brazil. The proposal for the fundraising event was prepared by her.”

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” Min Ho asked.

“She didn’t know it’s me.” So Ra cut him off. “I was using another identity all this while. She didn’t even know my name is Kang So Ra.” She then turned to Shin Hye again. “Shin Hye, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to lie. I really didn’t know that all of you were related. I have no idea that Jong…” She paused as she stole a sideway glance at Min Ho. “… Jong Suk is your boyfriend.”

Shin Hye looked at her and smiled slightly. “It’s okay. I’m not…” Before she could finish her sentence, her phone rang. When she saw the caller ID, her natural reaction was looking up at Min Ho. She cleared and smiled awkwardly at them. “I’m sorry, I have to pick this up.”  She said before she answered the call.

Shin Hye: Eo, Jong Suk.

Jong Suk: I’m sorry, Shin Hye. I’m still stuck in the meeting. I don’t think I can make it for lunch with you.

Shin Hye: It’s okay. I… I… need to go to the church anyway. I promised Ye Joon that I’m going today.

Jong Suk: oh okay. Then I’ll call you again after the meeting end.

Shin Hye: Hmmm… I’ll wait for your call.

Jong Suk: Okay, bye.

After she ended the call, Shin Hye looked back at them. The awkward atmosphere was suffocating and she thinks it would be best if she excuse herself from them. She was sure Min Ho wanted to be alone with So Ra now. She felt like an outsider standing in between them.

“She have an appointment with friends. The plastic bag she was carrying is very heavy. If you are free, I think it would be better for you to send her over.” Shin Hye said, looking at Min Ho. She then turned to So Ra and smiled softly. “I’ll see you at the church.” But before she could walk away, Min Ho grasped her hand and stopped her from moving.

“Where are you going?” He asked as he glanced at So Ra before looking back at Shin Hye again. “I can send both of you together.”

So Ra was slightly shock with Min Ho’s reaction. He acted nervous when Shin Hye wanted to leave. She took a quick glance at them before she said. “You should send Shin Hye. I’m okay. I just need to meet a friend nearby. I can go myself.” She leaned down and wanted to take the plastic bag that was lying on the floor but before she could even touch it, Min Ho grasped her hand too. “You are not going anywhere either. I’ll send you there.”

Both Shin Hye and So Ra looked at Min Ho at the same time. So Ra stared down at her hand before she looked at Shin Hye’s hand that was also tightly grabbed by Min Ho. Just by looking at how they stare at each other, So Ra could already sense something unusual between both of them. That gaze in his eyes was familiar. She recognized it because it was once belongs to her.

So Ra let out a defeated sigh before she pulled her hand away from him. She understands this man. He wouldn’t let go if they don’t give in. “Since Shin Hye is going back to the church, just send both of us back to the church together.”

“You are not meeting with your friend?” Min Ho asked.

So Ra smiled at him softly. “Friend can wait. I guess you have a lot of questions to ask me. We should settle that first.” Pointing at the huge plastic bag, she looked back at him. “That was indeed very heavy. Please help me to put it in the car. Thank you.” She said before she slowly walked to the side, leaving both Min Ho and Shin Hye standing there.

With his hand still holding tightly onto Shin Hye’s, he turned to her when he felt Shin Hye squeezed his hand softly.

“A-Are you okay?” She asked cautiously. Even though her heart felt uncomfortable, but she was worried about him. She wanted to know that he was fine for meeting So Ra in a sudden without any preparation.

Min Ho glanced at her for a brief second before he let go of her hand and took the plastic bag on the floor.

“Let’s go.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Shin Hye noona! So Hyun noona!” Little Ye Joon ran towards Shin Hye and So Ra when he saw them at the gate.

Shin Hye smiled as she kneeled down with her arms opened widely. When Ye Joon threw himself into her embrace, Shin Hye hugged him tightly in her arms. “Ye Joon-ah, noona miss you so much.”

Ye Joon pulled away from her and smiled sweetly. “Ye Joon miss you too. I have made a birthday card for you. Why didn’t you come here on your birthday? You promised that you would come. I waited for you the whole day. Sister Mary has bought a birthday cake for you. Do you know that day was So Hyun noona’s birthday too? We thought to celebrate your birthday with her together.”

Shin Hye stole a sideway glance at Min Ho when she heard him cleared his throat. She smiled slightly at Ye Joon. “I… I was busy with something that day. I’m so sorry. But since it was So Hyun noona’s birthday too, did you make a card for her too?”

Ye Joon nodded his head with a smile. “I did. So Hyun noona love it a lot. Let’s go inside. I want to show you the card.” He said before looking up at So Ra. “So Hyun noona, Lee Teuk hyung was looking for you just now.” He turned around and pointed at Park Jeong Su who was walking towards them. “He is over there.”

Jeong Su let out a wide smile when he saw So Ra. “So Hyun, I was looking for you…” But then, he stopped at mid-sentence and his smile slowly faded when he saw Min Ho standing not far away from them. He quickly looked back at So Ra with a worry gaze.

“How…”

“I bumped into him just now when I was having a drink with Shin Hye.” So Ra cut him off, looking at him meaningfully.

Jeong Su took a deep breath before he turned to Min Ho. “Hi… Min Ho.”

Min Ho clenched his jaw and looked sharply at him. “Jeong Su. It has been a long time since we last met. When was that? It was 3 years ago, right?” His voice was stern and it send goosebumps to whoever that was listening to him.

Shin Hye stood up and looked at them. She was confused with why Min Ho calling Lee Teuk as Jeong Su. Lee Teuk was So Ra’s partner and seeing how Min Ho looking at him, she was sure he knows Lee Teuk. So, Lee Teuk changed his name like So Ra too. His real name is Jeong Su. The intense atmosphere was worrying her. Looking at his expression, she wasn’t sure how long he could hold his emotion.

Min Ho inhaled several deep breaths before turning to So Ra. “We need to talk. I think you owes me a serious explanation.”

So Ra held his gaze for a while before she nodded. “Of course.” She then turned to Jeong Su. “Are you done with the practicing? Can I use the music room?”

Jeong Su nodded in hesitation. He took a step closer to So Ra and looked at her worriedly. “Are you sure you will be okay?”

So Ra assured him with a smile. “No worries. I know what to do.”

Jeong Su sighed deeply before he nodded again.

So Ro turned back to Min Ho and smiled slightly. “We can talk in the music room. It’s just over there. Shall we?”

Before Min Ho replies her, he looked at Shin Hye and walked towards her.

Shin Hye could sense So Ra and Jeong Su gaze was glued at her when Min Ho approached her. She slowly looked up at Min Ho with her hands fisted nervously at her both sides.

“I’ll just talk to her for a while.” He said softly. He doesn’t know why he needs to explain to her but he doesn’t want her to misunderstand anything.

Shin Hye bit her lip and was taken aback for a moment. She looked into his eyes with concern. “J-Just in case you need anything… I’ll be around.” She knows it was not right but she couldn’t control herself. She wants him to know that no matter what; she will be there for him. She wasn’t jealous because they will be alone in the music room but she was worried with what they were about to talk later. Although she doesn’t know what exactly happened to So Ra in the past but she was worried with Min Ho’s reaction towards it. He might freak out if he knows that So Ra lost her leg.

Min Ho’s eyes lingered a moment longer on her before he turned around and follow behind So Ra towards the music room.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

They have been standing in the music room, staring at each other for a long moment; neither of them speaks. The intense silence was deafening and it makes So Ra felt even nervous. It has been 3 years since the last time she saw him. He was still the same, still breathtakingly handsome. But there was one thing about him that has changed. The way he looked at her was no longer the same. The tenderness, the warmth, the love, it has all gone. She laughed silently to herself. She can’t blame him. It was her fault, a fault that she will never forgive herself.

So Ra broke the eye contact with him before she sighed softly. Her hands clenched the soft fabric of her skirt nervously. She looked up at him again when she heard his footsteps, inching his way towards her. She parted her lips and when she was about to say something, Min Ho pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly. Her eyes were widened in shock and her whole body went rigid. Her heart was pounding tremendously fast against her chest and she dare not even breathe.

Min Ho tightened his arms around her, closing his eyes; he tried to recall the feeling he used to have for her. He has waited this moment for so long. When he was left alone in the church on their wedding day, he was totally devastated. His heart was so pain that he thought he would not survive. For 3 months, he hid himself in his own world every night and numbed himself with alcohols. His life was soulless and he almost loses the willpower to live. He was sad, angry, worried, scared, disappointed and most importantly, he missed her so much. And now, after 3 long years, she was back in his arms again. Holding her so close like this, his heartbeat raced. But then he realized that the nervous beating of his heart was not for her. It was beating for the woman who was not in this room. He inhaled deeply before he pulled away from her. He took few steps backward and looked into her eyes.

So Ra held his gaze and let out a sad smile. “You don’t feel the same way anymore.” 

Min Ho smiled weakly. “It has been a long time. I don’t remember how it used to feel anymore.”

So Ra looked down and tried to hide her tears that were started to well up in her eyes. “I’m sorry. It was my fault. I was the one who let you go.”

Min Ho sighed deeply. “You know sorry is not the answer I’m looking for. I want to know the reason. I want to know whether the problem is with you or me. If I remember correctly, all the while we were fine. We have been together for so many years. We went through so many things together. You know how I felt for you and that was why we came to an agreement that we should take our relationship to another level. If you don’t think the same, if you don’t love me, then why did you agree to marry me when I propose to you? You should just tell me directly that you don’t…”

“I love you.” So Ra cut him off, looking at him painfully. Tears already blurred her vision as she struggled to regain her composure. “I have never stopped loving you. Becoming your wife is my dream. You have no idea how happy I was when you proposed to me. It was a dream come true for me.”

“Then why did you leave if you really love me?” Min Ho asked. His voice was almost painful to hear. “Does that even make sense to you? If you really love me that much, if marrying me was your dream come true, then why did you leave me alone on our wedding day?”

So Ra bit her trembling lip hard, clenching her hands into tight fists. “I have my reason. Please forgive me.”  

Min Ho chuckled sadly with a heavy sarcasm in his tone. His eyes were red and filled with disappointment. “So… this is the answer I get from you after all these years? No explanation, nothing.” He laughed, inwardly cursing his own stupidity. 

“Do you know how worried I was when you just disappeared like that without a word? I was looking everywhere for you, checking all the hospitals, police stations, worrying that you met with an accident or anything bad happen to you. I started going crazy whenever I heard news about women got captured and murdered. I was unstable, dangerous, insane and even…” He paused and clenched his jaws. Because of her, he even let himself to drag the innocent Shin Hye into the mess and hurt her deeply.

Tears were already dripping down So Ra’s face as she started to sob painfully. “I’m sorry. I’m very sorry.” Looking down at her leg that was covered with the long skirt, she closed her eyes.

“Was it Jeong Su?” Min Ho asked softly.

Her eyes fluttered open instantly as she looked up at him. “What?”

Meeting her eyes again, he continued. “You were with him all these while.”

It was not a question. It was a statement. So Ra looked at him in confusion. “How do you know?”

Min Ho inhaled sharply. “I’ve known him for a long time. Ji Seok, Jeong Su and me, three of us were best friends. I can tell when he was lying and hiding something from me. I know he love you secretly even before we started dating. I’m sure you know about it too. He cares for you a lot and it only make it more suspicious when he acted like nothing when you were missing. Five months later after you disappeared, he was disappeared too.” He stopped and sighed deeply. “Ji Seok told me that someone saw him in Brazil with a woman that look like you. Since then, I know you were alive.”

So Ra was surprised. “So, you know it all along that I was in Brazil. But why didn’t you look for me?”

Closing his eyes briefly, he recalled that night when Shin Hye begged him not to leave. If he could make a firm decision that night, everything would not be like this now. He exhaled a sharp breath before looking back at her. “I did send someone to find both of you in Brazil. But I didn’t know that both of you have changed your names.”

Without replying him, So Ra just let the tears continued to roll down her face. She doesn’t know how to explain to him. She doesn’t have the courage to tell him the whole truth. It will only hurt him even badly that he already was. If he thinks she left him because of Jeong Su, she rather let this misunderstanding to continue. It would be so much better than the truth.

“I… I don’t know what else I could say anymore. I dare not ask for your forgiveness. I just hope to lessen your pain as much as I can.” She said in a quivering voice. “I’m sorry.” She cried softly.

Min Ho looked at her for a long second before he stepped closer to her and slowly brought his hand to her wet cheeks. He gently wiped her tears away before he pull

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter