Side by Side (SeHo) 1/3

Opposite & Side by Side

green - main characters
faded green - already set couples
blue - friendship
dotted blue - aqcuaintance

* Please note: This chart describes the situation at the end of their story.

 



 

"Sehunnie, your hair looks different today."
Fidgety, Sehun looked to the floor.
"Yes, Hyung."
He felt a friendly pat on his shoulder.
"This style looks good on you. It's very mature."
"Thanks Hyung!", he said, beaming brightly.
As Suho passed by to leave for the conference room, he was still grinning so widely that he had to bite his lips in order to tone it down.
"Aww my god - Senpai noticed me!", he heard the deep voice of one of his best friends chirping in a horrible fangirly-like voice.
"Oh, shut up noodlehead!"
"...Says the one that looks like Draco Malfoy."
He pinched Chanyeol's arm. Hard.
"I hate you. Go away.", he said monotonously.
"Why? You're gonna substract points from my house?"
"Why are we even friends?"
Chanyeol remained cheerful, no matter how grumpy Sehun was.
"'Cause we need each other?", he dramatically sing-songed.
Sehun snorted.
"Tch, sure you need me - But no way in hell would I need you for anything!"


"Chanyeooool... Just what am I doing wrong?! Tell meee...!", Sehun whined as he desperately planted his face onto the coffee table.
"Hey, easy over there, Sehun. You're gonna ruin the decoration.", Xiumin camly said from behind the counter.
"Mmhdfg..."
"Excuse me?"
"He said: Couldn't care less.", Chanyeol helpfully translated, taking a sip from his hot chocolate which he had successfully saved from Sehun's outbreak.
"Yah! You brat! Behave yourself or I'll freeze that bubbles in your tea."
"Channiiiieeee....! Come on, help me! You're supposed to! You're my best friend!"
Chanyeol quirked his eyebrow.
"Didn't you say Kai was your best friend just this morning?"
"Details, details. Shouldn't you feel honored I'm asking you instead of him?"
"Oh the privilege, I can feel it boosting my poor self-confidence.", he dryly replied.
"Oh shut up. Just answer that one question, then: WHAT. AM. I. DOING. WRONG?"
Chanyeol leaned back and stirred his beverage.
"The question is, Oh Sehun, what aren't you doing wrong?"
He sighed deeply, and that would mean something with his voice being pretty deep to begin with.
"Sehun, there's hardly anything you didn't do wrong besides pretending you're into girls."
"Seriously?! Are you making fun of me?"
"You see me laughing?"
Sehun looked daggers at him, even more grumpy than before.
"Yeah, Yeol's right on that one. In all respect Sehun; you at courting people.", Xiumin casually threw in.
The piercing look changed its' target to the barista who remained unimpressed.
With a loud slurp, Chanyeol finished his hot chocolate and loudly placed the cup on the table, to garner the attention of his two gifted friends.
"That's it!", he dramatically began.
"This has been going on for over a year now and I'm tired of watching this joke you call your pursuing."
"Yah, stop insulti-"
"-And that's why I've decided to help you, in spite of the fact you're an annoying little brat."
"You're doing it again, you-"
"-Soooo you better be grateful for I already have a plan in mind.", Chanyeol continued, expertly ignoring Sehun's protests.
"Let's meet at the restaurant Kai's parents own on Monday, 7 P.M. Don't you dare to be late, Maknae!"
"B-but-"
"No buts allowed. And now shoo, I thought Kai was waiting for you."
Damning the giants' strength, Sehun was slowly pushed outside, all the while protesting loudly.
"I'm not even the Maknae anymore! What about Tao?!"
"Don't bring our panda into this - He HAS a boyfriend, unlike you!"

Sehun had expected to see Chanyeol and Kai, yes. Probably also Tao and Minseok since they were their respective boyfriends(and obsessed with Chinese food).
When he stepped into the restaurant, however, to see a huge table put together to offer seats for -he squinted his eyes as he counted- eleven people, he was flabbergasted. Especially so, considering that ten of those seats were already filled.
In the middle sat Chanyeol, giving him a pointed look.
"You ARE late after all, Maknae."
"I-I'm not-"
"Sit down, come on, we're all hungry!"
Sehun obeyed before his bratty self had time to kick in and he slinked into the seat opposite from Chanyeol.
Bewildered, he looked around the table. There were his friends with their plus one, as expected - altough he mainly considered Tao as one of his best friends, instead of 'Kai's boyfriend'.
But there was also Kyungsoo, the quiet and anti-social guy from his afterclasses and the new kid, Chen(They were hardly ever found without the other, so no surprise there).
Then there was his colleague Baekhyun with the first-aid teacher Lay; two people he talked to once in a while, but wasn't overly close to. And to the far rigtht of the table sat Luhan, that one who worked in the convenience store of Kai's parents. Next to him sat a guy he had never seen before.
It only took him a few seconds to take in all these information, before he incredulously looked at Chanyeol.
"Did you just invite every person you know?! Is this some kind of birthday party?"
He could hear some chuckles and tried very hard not to blush at all the attention.
"Fear not my little Hunnie, I got this.", Chanyeol boomed as self-confident as ever.
He leaned back to look at all the guests who ceased their chatter.
"Now that we're finally complete,", he glared at Sehun shortly, "I'll officially welcome you one more time! I know most of us know each other more or less, but we should still make some short introductions, shouldn't we?"
He was clearly referring to Luhan and the tall dude next to him, who obviously were not too familiar with anyone.
"Since there's no one here besides us I guess it's safe to also mention our gifts - Let's start with Xiuminnie here~"
And so everyone gave his name, age and gift with a more or less confident aura ranging from the still very shy and fidgety Tao to the boisterous diva Baekhyun.
As soon as Chen's name was mentioned, however, Kris jumped up.
"So you're Chen!"
"You two know each other?", Kai asked with confusion written all over his face.
Suddenly uncomfortable with all the attention he got, Kris sank down, mumbling something along the lines of 'Nevermind, sorry about that...'. With amusement twinkling in his eyes, Chen just proceeded, though he seemed slightly uneasy about his gift.
Sehun almost dropped his cup when he found out that tall, y-looking guy was actually the boyfriend of the petit and vulnerable Luhan. That 'sweet and caring clutz' Luhan always swooned about? Really now?
When everyone was finished, Chanyeol hurried to get the attention again, before everthing went down in casual chatter.
"Sooo... Why have we all gathered here today?"
"Free food?", Baekhyun fell in.
"Why would you think it's free?"
"Well, because obviously you're gonna treat all of us?"
"Shouldn't Sehun be treating us instead?", Kai added helpfully.
"Why ME?"
"Okay guys, let's discuss that later. Back to the headline. WHY have we all gathered here? Exactly-", he continued hurriedly, before any interruption could get to him, "We want to help out this pitiful lad over here."
"I'm not pitifu-"
"Shh. Sehunnie. We're already here, there's no need to deny it now.", Chanyeol said calmly with Xiumin next to him nodding knowingly, agitating Sehun even more.
"I. Am. Not. Pitiful."
"So explain to me then, why EVERYone at this table is in a happy relationship? Even people who met their love later than you? Even people that are by far no social butterflies? Even Tao?"
"Yah. Play nice.", Kai intervened protectively, to what the taller one only answered with a defensive stance.
"Don't get me wrong; I adore Tao, we all do, but you cannot deny the fact it's close to a wonder the two of you found each other that quickly."
"Can we not talk about me, please?", Tao peeped with a blush on his face.
"Fine, so how is the fact I'm the only single here helping? Don't you make fun of me enough as it is?", Sehun fell in with an annoyed voice.
"Now you're being stupid. Can't you see we're all far more experienced and therefore able to help you?", Baekhyun interrupted the banter between the two.
"Actually you're right!", Tao said with excitement lighting up his eyes.
"Everyone here is pretty amazing, like Luhan who is very attentive and Kris who is very caring... And Lay for example - he knows Suho very well!"
Gratefully, Chanyeol fluffed the blonde's hair.
"Now that's a smart one. I actually thought the same thing - and that's why I've prepared this-", he said as he took out a bunch of colorful cards, each signed with a name.
He passed them around and everyone got their rightful card.
"Every card has a different point written on it. It's something the owner of the card excels in, while little Sehunnie fails miserably."
"I in'-"
"...Whiiich is why you can teach him, right?", Chanyeol cheerfully said while Sehun was swiftly ignored.
"You can all choose on how to teach him, though. Baekhyun already made a group chat for us, so we can set up the dates. Any questions?"
Sehun raised his hand with an expression of barely concealed anger.
"Yes, Sehun?", Chanyeol said in an overly polite voice.
"Why the heck did you decide on what to write on this cards? Why are you even the leader of all this?"
"Well, obviously because I'm the only one around here who knows everyone well-enough."
Sehun would have loved to protest, just for the sake of it. But as he thought about it... It was kind of true. Chanyeol had always been close friends with Baekhyun and Kai, thus he usually hang out with Tao as well. He and Chen had clicked the moment they met. At his firefighter-job he worked together with Luhan and Kris and he was the one to play in a band with the anti-social Kyungsoo and he could call Xiumin -the most anti-social of them all- his boyfriend.
"But... But you don't know anything about Lay!", he weakly stammered.
"Oh please. I've had more privat first-aid lessons than all of you had regular lessons together."
"Hey guys, I brought the menu.", Kai said and whatever came after that was lost in the excited calls for food by the starving teenagers.

"Ah, I love honey-dipped chicken."
"What's that called, Luhan?"
"Could you pass me a little of this?"
As everyone was deeply immersed in the wide display of food, Sehun was thinking.
Thinking whether he was supposed to be freaking out right then. He felt belittled, pitied and overall stubbornly angry. On another note, though, he was getting desperate. All his attempts had failed and maybe the others would have some useful advices after all? Except for Chanyeol of course, he was just being a jerk, Sehun stubbornly added in his head.

When the initial hunger was gone and everyone kept leisurely eating a bit of this and that while engaging in conversations, Tao nudged Chanyeol beside him.
"Hyung... Why am I only having 'aegyo'? Is it even that important?", he asked quietly with a slightly disappointed face.
Again, Chanyeol only fluffed up his blonde hair and smiled.
"Well, you're also our lucky charm. Our trump card so to say~"
"You're just trying to comfort me, aren't you Hyung?"
"I would never.", he said with an overly dramatic face.
"Aegyo?", Sehun perked up, "I don't need any aegyo! I don't want Suho-Hyung to think of me as cute!"
"But maybe Suho digs the cute type?", Lay threw in with a tiny mischievious smile on his lips.
"D-does he?", Sehun insecurely stammered, his stoic facade falling immediately.
Baekhyun nudged his boyfriend's shoulder as he kept laughing at Sehun.
"Stop playing with him, it's cruel!"
"You're all stupid. I'll go talk to someone nicer.", Sehun angrily stated as he got up and went to the far end of the table, where Luhan and his boyfriend were seated.
Kris, who had been following the lively gathering with interest, was slightly overwhelmed and hadn't talked a lot yet. All the more of a reason to get to know him.
After all, Sehun was rather close with Tao and Luhan due to their regular study lessons in the convenience store. And even though he wouldn't easily admit it, the elder had become dear to him.
"Hey."
"Uhm. Hello."
Oh, he had a really deep voice. And he looked kinda scary up close.
"So you came here even though you don't actually know me."
Not sensing how rude this came out(that's Sehun for you), he watched Kris scrunch his eyebrows together. He seemed angry.
For a few seconds, uncomfortable silence reigned, before Luhan broke out in his bright laughter, making his characteristically unattractive face as he repeatedly slammed his hand on his thigh.
"You two are hilarious!", he giggled (oh so manly), "You both give out this misleading cold vibes while you're both actually nothing but awkward and shy... I can't with you two... Please continue...!"
As they both looked at each other with a flustered face, Sehun tried to move the conversation to a safer topic.
"So... What's written on your card? What can I expect from you?"
"Uhm. It's-"
"NU UH!", Luhan fell in, forcefully clamping a hand over his mouth.
"That's a secret for now. Where would be the fun in telling you already, Sehunnie?"
Sehun only groaned in resignation.
"Who allowed you to call me like that?!"

Sehun didn't have more success that evening in finding out what the cards said.
Most of them went along with it being a secret for now or stating they weren't sure on how to go at this. Kyungsoo only gave him a look that had Sehun backing off immediately(for if there was anything truly scary, then it was the silent earth-gifted boy), while Lay only had that mysterious smile on as he opened his card to take a look at it.

The only easy one was Chanyeol, surprisingly.
When they had finished their dinner, a few of them had stayed back to help cleaning up. Including Kai and Tao(obviously), Chanyeol, Xiumin and Sehun himself.
"My card? It says 'honest'. So, Sehun...", he said, walking up to him to seriously pat his shoulder, "Just be honest. Suho Hyung is older and smarter than you - You lie, he figures it out. Easy as that - Be. Honest. Got that? Yeah? Well, I guess I'm done, then."
Wordlessly, he stared after his so-called best friend who moved to gather some more bowls.
"That's it?"
"Huh? Oh. Yep."
"...Seriously?"
"Don't be sad. I'm already the leader and my contribution is yet to come."
"And what's that supposed to be?"
"I'm giving you a good start. What would you say is your biggest asset?"
Sehun blankly looked at him.
"Yeah I know it's difficult, but think about it."
"Shut up, , I have plenty of good assets!"
"Well, your language isn't one of them.", Xiumin not-so-helpfully added.
"He's a very good dancer!", Tao cheerfully fell in and once again Sehun swore to himself to replace those other useless idiots as his best friends.
"Yeah, he's decent.", Kai generously added, "Just kidding, Sehun's pretty good."
"Okay, and what do we need to do first? Actually Baekhyun contributed on this one, you can thank him later... But anyways, the first thing to do is get attention! We need to somehow make Suho see you as potential boyfriend material. And the easiest to aim at is the libido - again, Baekhyun's idea. He said it's the most obvious and easy thing, so we'll just make sure he gets a good view of your best moves."
"So... Like a stage performance? There isn't any at the moment, though..."
"Don't worry about it. Lay and I have been thinking about a possible choreography, we can get to it as soon as you're ready!", Kai chimed in.
Again, Sehun could only blink as his friends planned out his life. They really were prepared, weren't they?

Pretty much a week later Sehun knew the little choreography by heart. You could've woken him up at 3 AM and he'd be able to follow it.
Sehun was a quick learner if determined(and no learner at all if un-determined).
"Okay. I think you got it by now.", Kai said, wiping the sweat of his face with a towel.
Sehun wanted to sigh in relief but before he could even attempt to do so, Kai added:
"Tomorrow we'll set you up with Suho, then. Before that, I wanna see it one more time, perfectly."
"Ugh, but Hyung, I'm already-"
"I said one more time. I want to see a perfect performance, ready for the stage. Exactly how you wanna look like tomorrow. So control your movements AND your face, got it?"
Sehun wanted to act up like the frustrated kid he was but once in the dance studio Kai turned into a strict and merciless teacher who wouldn't have any of his antics - And that was probably the reason he was the leader of the dance team and not Sehun.
So he only huffed.
"This is gonna be over real quick.", he firmly stated as he got ready.
Kai only nodded as he texted Chanyeol.

To: Yeol
Okay, get him.

"Ah, our student body president is studying so diligently~", Chanyeol quietly mumbled as he and Xiumin observed him through the glass walls of his office.
"He doesn't even seem like a student anymore with all his duties.", Xiumin agreed.
For a while they both watched Suho who was completely immersed into his paperwork with an attractive pair of glasses framing his attentive eyes.
"If you look at him this way, I get what Sehun sees in him.", Xiumin suddenly whispered, "He is pretty handsome."
Alarmed, Chanyeol whirled around to look at his boyfriend instead.
"You think he's handsome?!", he frantically whispered back.
Xiumin just shrugged.
"Well, he has all the stuff going for him; pale and clean skin, good facial features... I'd personally think he doesn't reach Luhan's or Kris' level, but-"
"You also think Luhan and Kris are handsome?!"
"Sure, don't you think so?"
"Well. Maybe... Well.", Chanyeol stammered, before he got quiet, continuing to look at Suho.
Seeing his boyfriend look like a kicked puppy, he sighed.
"Stop overthinking so loudly, it's unbearable!", he said as he slapped his shoulder.
"But-"
"So what? So what if other people are handsome or cute? You are hot. What else would I want?"
Instantly, Chanyeol's face brightened and Xiumin got up, dusting his uniform off.
"And now watch closely as I prove you exactly why I'm a better actor than you."

"You think it's serious?", Suho worriedly asked as he followed Xiumin to the dance studio.
"Well, you know how easily Kai gets waist-injuries. He was told to lie down and he says he hardly feels any pain, but if you could just check him up real quick it would be a great help. There are some dance recitals coming up, after all."
"Ah, it's no problem. It would be ridiculous to wait for Lay when I'm around to do a rough check-up. By the way Xiumin-", he said as he eyed the poker-faced male, "You really are changing for the better lately. You've become quite caring."
Xiumin merely snorted.
"Chanyeol's rubbing off on me."
"I hope so.", he replied with his gentle signature smile.
Xiumin took a last look over his shoulder where the said boy gave him a thumbs up.
He strode before Suho just to abruptly stop in the doorframe, leaving Suho to almost crash into him.
"Why are we-"
"Shh. They're in the middle of a rehearsal."
Suho stepped next to him, peeking into the room. If they entered the room now, they would have to walk in front of the mirrors, which would indeed be very rude.
That moment a song began to loudly boom out of the set-up speakers.
"We'll just wait for them to finish, otherwise that'd be pretty rude, wouldn't it?"
Suho nodded and patiently stood there, naturally turning his attention to the only person moving - which was Sehun. The young one wore a loose muscle-top and seemed already pretty worked up with sweat glistening on his forehead. Still, his stance was firm and professional and as soon as the song began, his limbs seemed to come back to life with sharp movements.
Xiumin internally padded Lay on the shoulder for the song choice. It was Jonghyun's "Crazy", a rather unusual song that went for a sultry, yet classy image. Overall a very mature song which was perfect to make Suho notice the eternal Maknae's possible appeal.
And even Xiumin himself had to admit he was impressed. Instead of the whiny and childish Sehun he saw a highly concentrated, handsome blonde who was so immersed into the dance and the imaginary audience in the mirror, that he paid his surroundings no mind. He easily danced as if he intended to steal the spotlight to himself. There was neither insecurity in his sharp movements, nor in his intense gaze that was fixed onto the mirror. And as his movements got more fluid and sultry, his usually odd habit of his lips made a completely different statement.
Xiumin discreetly stepped back a little to carefully observe Suho. He seemed to genuinely admire him, but this wouldn't be enough. Scrutinizingly, he kept searching his eyes.
Sehun didn't know this, but this was some sort of initial test. A test to determine whether this whole thing had a chance or not.
But Suho seemed so incredibly unaffected. At some point during the song, Suho stopped smiling so brightly, though. Feeling uneasy, Xiumin bit his lip. A bad sign?
The performance went on like this and whenever Xiumin's eyes flitted over to Sehun he could only internally facepalm at Suho for not reacting at all.
He didn't even smile anymore. He also didn't seem to be bored, though. Just a little confused maybe?
When the song ended and the people inside the room started clapping, they both didn't move immediately. Sehun only went over to his water bottle and bent down to retrieve it. That was when Xiumin saw it.
'HAH!', he thought triumphantly, as he saw Suho's brown eyes uncounsciously travelling down to Sehun's agreeably firm behind. It had only lasted for a second, but it was enough.
Quickly, he got out his phone.

[To: S/S '16(group)]

13:37
From: Xiumin

Game's on.

13:37
From: Baekkie

Awesome. I'm first~!

13:39
From: Kyungsoo

I'm first.

13:39
From: Baekkie

You're first!

13:40
From: ChenChen

Y's everyone so scared of Soo? There's nothing scary 'bout him?

 13:40
From: Baekkie

You ask too many questions... I worry for you.

13:40
From: Kyungsoo

Sehun. Today, 5 PM after school at the coffee shop across the gym.

13:45
From: Kyungsoo

Oh Sehun.

13:47
From: Kai

Give him a minute, Kyungsoo. When he found out Suho had been watching, he walked into a glass door. We're treating him real quick, then he's all yours.

13:47
From: Yeol

Pictures?
Videos? :D

13:48
From: Kai

You're a horrible friend.

13:48
From: Yeol

His BEST horrible friend, at your service ò_óv

13:48
From: Kai

I'll send them later.

 


 

"You're late."
"Excuse me my highness, for I had lessons to attend.", Sehun answered with a roll of his eyes.
"Are you giving me attitude, Oh Sehun?", Kyungsoo asked neutrally, with narrowed eyes.
Sehun almost flinched at the deadly aura he emitted.
"Nope.", he hurriedly said, straightening his posture as he sat up straight.
Everyone knew that Kyungsoo was Suho's cousin. But since they didn't seem particularly close, Sehun didn't deem it worthy enough to risk his life by asking Kyungsoo about him. Then again, who did Kyungsoo seem close to? Besides Chen?
Casually, Kai joined them with their drinks.
Oh. Right. He also was kinda amicable towards Kai.
Wait a second...
"What are you doing here?", Sehun asked with a raised brow.
"I take it you don't want the bubble tea, then?", Kai asked, mirroring his expression.
"You know you're my best friend.", Sehun hurried to assure as he reached for the cup of his favourite bubble tea.
"So...", Kyungsoo quietly began as he took a sip of his hot chocolate, "I'm gonna keep this as short as possible, so you better pay attention."
Out of habit Sehun raised his hand.
"Can I ask a question first?"
"What is it?"
"Why are you even doing this? Don't you like, I don't know, hate my guts?"
The black-haired male only furrowed his brows the slightest bit as he took a spoonful of whipped cream.
"I don't 'hate your guts'."
"Then why-"
"Chanyeol asked, okay? And Chen seemed all excited, that's why. Now stop asking stupid questions."
"Speaking of Chen, where is he?", Kai asked curiously. Seeing one without the other had gotten a rarity to be taken note of.
"Ah, he has some privat lessons with Suho. You know, since he's rather new to all this gift-controlling. I'm getting him later."
Lucky guy, he thought. Sehun's power was the control of air, which was pretty dangerous and automatically put him in category 1. Still, he had never been the type to lash out with his gift when faced with emotional pressure; thus he had never been on the receiving end of privat lessons with Suho. Obviously a good thing, but still...
"Don't gimme that look.", Kyungsoo said with annoyance lacing his voice, "You'll get your alone time soon enough. Chen needs him more than you right now."
He sighed deeply.
"I wonder if anyone's gonna teach you how not to be a selfish brat."
"Yah!"
"O~kay, time to study~", Kai intervened light-heartedly, reaching into his pocket to put out a pale violet card.
"Since Kyungsoo and I had points that go hand in hand -and since we want you to make some progress before Suho graduates- we decided to combine them."
Kai put the card on the table for Sehun to see it.
There, in Chanyeol's messy handwriting and with a bright marker was written:
How to read a situation.
Before Sehun could comment on that, Kyungsoo added his green card.
Be curious.
Sehun blinked. And looked at Kyungsoo. Who's look easily told him NOT to take a wrong step now.
Deciding he valued his life very much, he cleared his throat.
"So... If I want to confess to Suho, I need to be able to read a situation. And be... Curious?", he carefully stated. Sensing his effort in trying not to offend him, Kyungsoo nodded curtly.
"Tell me then. What do you know about Suho?", he asked as he continued to swirl the tiny silver spoon in his beverage.
Sehun tried his best to look less eager than he was.
"Well, I know his age and family background - he has both parents and an elder brother. He is a very diligent person who likes to contribute to the society and wherever else his help is needed. He genuinely has all of us in mind and always treats me to food."
Kyungsoo nodded along.
"Is that all?"
"Well... He once introduced Chanyeol to the voluntary fire-fighters and-"
"What does he do after school? As a hobby?"
Sehun blinked again, his lips out of habit.
"He does a lot of paperwork and school work, so-"
"Who are his closest friends?"
"I-I guess Lay, since-"
"What's his future ambition?"
"Since he majors in law it must be something like-"
"What's his view on the current political discussion regarding gifted ones?"
Sehun sighed and threw up his arms in defeat.
"I don't know...", he mumbled, slumping in his chair.
"How can you not know stuff like that?", Kyungsoo asked with an equally deep sigh and Sehun felt as if he had just failed a job interview.
"Be nice on him Soo.", Kai gently said, passing Sehun a Macaron he had purchased with the drinks. Gratefully, Sehun took it and slowly unwrapped it with a depressed face. With a caring smile, Kai went on.
"Look, we don't question your affection Sehun. Not knowing this stuff is not an accusation in any way. That's not what matters."
Kyungsoo put down his now empty cup and his voice, too, got softer.
"Kai is right. It's not. What matters is... Would you be interested in knowing these things about him?"
Sehun looked up at him with shimmering eyes.
"Y-yeah...", he stammered, "Of course I would."
The kind smile he got in reply was so un-Kyungsoo-like he almost doubted his eyes.
"See? That's the way to go. First and foremost you need to be interested in another person's life. His life might be fundamentally different from yours and that includes his surroundings, but also his values and views on it. Wanting to find out more about a person you feel affectionate towards, is the first step. It's not to blubber about oneself, but to listen attentively and ask questions when the time is appropriate. You see what I'm getting at?"
Sehun nodded, as he chewed on his macaron. It made perfect sense. He shouldn't just focus on throwing himself at his Hyung, but instead try to find out more about the person behind his diligent teacher.
"Which is where I come in.", Kai spoke up as he returned to the table with a tablet of new drinks and a few sweets.
Unhurriedly, he slipped back onto his seat as Kyungsoo reached for a strawberry macaron.
"So if I want to find out more about Suho-Hyung, I need to read the situation, right?"
"Yes, that's a good point.", Kai agreed as he took a sip from his drink.
"You need to be attentive to observe the reaction your opposite has towards other people or different situations. That's why it goes hand in hand with curiosity - If you pay attention, you will be able to read the distinct body language as well as verbal ways of him to deal with things. And this will in turn tell you something about what kind of person Suho actually is."
Again, Sehun nodded.
"So what's the other point?"
Kai grinned at him approvingly.
"I can see, you are actually paying attention right now, good boy."
Biting his lip, Sehun held back the snarky comment on his tongue since he was actually curious.
"The second point about reading the situation is that it's a crucial key to all other things the Hyungs will talk to you about. You need to keep your surroundings in mind as well as all the information you've got. Your actions should be made based on what outcome you want to have."
"This... Sounds complicated."
Kai chuckled lightly, but it beared no mocking.
"It's only the choice of words. Let me give you a few examples.
When you and Soo were on the verge of starting a catfight, did I take a side? No. Because I know Kyungsoo and you are both hot-headed and could go at this for hours, no matter who is in the right."
Both heads flew up to look at him, but he wouldn't let them have a word.
"When Kyungsoo started to mercilessly bombard you with questions like a history teacher in an oral exam, did I wait for him to stop? Yes, because otherwise Kyungsoo would have grilled me for venturing into his category. Instead I paid attention to you and comforted you when I thought you needed it. Aaand just now, when we finished the 'curiosity'-point, I hurried to get a few more drinks and sweets. Why? Because I'm a er for sugar? Well, I am. But I got them so Kyungsoo had something to busy his hands with since he feels absolutely mortified at letting you see his soft side."
Both of them now gaped at Kai, who seemed to internally work through a list.
"Anything else...?"
"Y-you think so much stuff all the time?! Are you like, a girl or something?", Sehun broke out and for once Kyungsoo didn't seem inclined to kill him for being stupid since he was busy looked quite embarrassed himself.
"Well, it comes naturally to me. But the main point is: I do notice a bunch of things. But I think wisely about when to address them."
Still a little shocked, Sehun nodded.
"You know-", Kyungsoo spoke up, "That DOES sound like a rather feminine treat."
"You don't need to team up with Sehun now. I've always registered stuff like that and that was the reason you liked me in the first place, wasn't it?"
Opening his mouth, and then closing it again, Kyungsoo finally agreed begrudgingly.
"Woah. That's why you're the only able to handle Kyungsoo.", Sehun broke out in sudden understanding.
A deadly stare was sent his way as Kai shook his head.
"And that, Sehun, was the wrong moment to voice your thoughts."

"You know... I'm positively surprised at how openly you take advices, but I'm still very sure you're going about this the completely wrong way."
"Pshh, Kyungsoo, he's gonna notice us!"
With an annoyed groan Kyungsoo flicked Chen's forehead.
"This isn't some kind of Spy-movie, Chen!", he harshly whispered.
"Are you angry he's pursuing your cousin, Soo?"
"Oh please, I couldn't care less about-"
"Shh, both of you, I think he's gonna enter this shop.", Sehun hissed as the quarrel behind him ceised with Kyungsoo rolling his eyes and Chen jumping up beside him in excitement.
"What's that? A pet shop?"
"So Suho-Hyung likes animals...", Sehun mumbled as he tried to inch closer without being too obvious.
"Look, I really don't think it's neccessary to-", Kyungsoo began but was cut off immediately.
"Ah, no, he's just chatting with the man behind the counter! Who's that? Whyyyy...."
"Stop whining, maybe he's just a friend."
"But look how handsome he is... I knew it, he's more into the charming and cute type-"
"Stop making up stuff! That's not reading the situation at all!"
"Guys, he's coming!", Chen whispered as he tugged the two out of sight.
That afternoon they followed Suho from the pet shop into a huge discounter where he bought an old Green Day album that was on sale("Hyung listens to this kind of music?!"), a bunch of instant ramen ("He doesn't cook?"), and watched him helping an old lady with carrying her heavy bags("Don't you dare start swooning now, Oh Sehun!").
When the sun was already hanging low he seemed to be on his way home.
Kyungsoo had picked up the complaining again after a break of resignation.
But since Chen didn't seem tired at all, he had no choice.
"I just want to know where he lives!", Sehun defended himself.
"That's called stalking and is probably illegal."
Without warning, Suho stopped in front of a cinema where a monitor showed the latest teasers. He seemed to watch with interest. Lost in observing the object of his affection, he was suddenly(and quite brutally) shoved towards him. The force of the push sent him tumbling various steps until he collided with his side, making the elder jump.
"Oh my Go- Oh. Sehun. God, you scared me.", he exclaimed with a hand over his chest.
"Ah, Hyung, it's you... F-fancy meeting you here.", Sehun uttered as he straightened his appearance and caught a glimpse of the two traitors leaving the scene with Chen sending him a confident 'Ok'-sign. 'Nothing's ok here!', Sehun thought fuming. What was he supposed to say?
"So... What brings you to this city district?", Suho asked politely and Sehun directed his full attention to him, mentally scolding himself for spacing out.
"I was just... Just... Around. Yeah. So, you want to see one of these movies, Hyung?", he awkwardly asked, trying very hard to just change the topic already.
Not reading much into it, Suho nodded thoughtfully.
"Yes, maybe... It says the next Pirates of the Carribean movie is gonna premier next Thursday."
"I didn't take you the type for this kind of movies.", Sehun blurted out without thinking. Clamping his hand over his mouth, he could almost see Kai's judging look.
Suho didn't seem upset, though, he only laughed a little in embarrassment.
"Yeah, my friends never fail to make fun of me for that... They'd never go out of their ways to actually watch it with me, though, so how would they even know for sure it's no good?"
"I-I would like to see it."
Suho regarded him with a surprised look.
"You would?"
"Uhm. Well. It looks interesting, doesn't it? I mean, I like One Piece, so... It's about pirates and who doesn't like the Carribean, I mean... It's great for holidays..."
He saw him raising a brow and mentally facepalmed.
Then he remembered Chanyeol's words. Be honest.
Looking to the ground, he balled his fists as the words burst out.
"Alright, I have no clue about this movie...! But since you like it I'm curious and want to give it a try! And also, you said you have no one to go with, so...", he trailed off, not daring to look up to be met with an accusing look.
Instead he got rewarded with a pat on his hair, slightly messing it up. It was an open secret that only Suho was allowed to touch the blonde's hair, otherwise he'd go into his full-blown brat mode.
"Ah, that's very nice of you.", Suho cooed, obviously misinterpreting Sehun's intentions as pity for his lonely Hyung.
"You don't need to force yourself, though-"
"No! I want to, I really do! Hyung, let's watch this movie together...!"
Knowing very well that his whining always got him whatever he aimed for concerning Suho, the elder shook his head in resignation with a gentle smile on his face.
"Alright then. Let's go and watch it. I have a full schedule on Thursday, though. How does Saturday sound?"
"Perfect.", he answered without even checking.

[To: S/S '16(group)]

17:15
From: Yeol

What do u mean you're gonna dump me on Saturday?!
U can't put love before friends, that's against the bro code! D:

17:15
From: Sehun

Stop crying.
Just go and seduce your own boyfriend
If he doesn't freeze your first that is

17:15
From: Xiumin

I READ THAT.

17:18
From: Xiumin

By the way. What on earth makes you think he's the active part?

17:18
From: Yeol

Xiu!

17:18
From: Baekhyun

I kneeeew it~
(Btw - Lay you're owing me one now)

17:18
From: Sehun

HAH!
Omg
Channie, ur so cute.
I'll never forget this.
EVER.

17:19
From: Kyungsoo

STOP spamming this group.
I'm tired of receiving notifications.

 


 

Here it is, the first part of Oh Sehun's long journey in learning how to win someone's heart.
I know it might seem like I'm being a bias towards the XiuYeol couple,
but Chanyeol is his best friend after all(wasn't it Kai? Sehun, make up your mind already! ;)
Besides that I decided to give every couple their own little moment, so please be patient; we'll see more of the others soon~!

Most of you probably don't remember, but I've set up the graphic with the thought in mind that people always get along well with their neighbouring signs. That's how a lot of natural affinities work in this story, hence the KaiSoo or Chenyeol friendship.

Enough banter from me - What do you think so far?
This might be the last time to request for any appearances or whatever you'd like to see
- I'm feeling a little nostalgic and am open to suggestions!

Love,
Sugar-and-Salt


 

P.S.: Whaaat, Chanyeol is a bottom? Well, I'll leave that up to your fantasy.
Just pointing out that Xiu could've been messing with the others. He can be a troll like that.