Chapter 4: Tests

Popular

It didn't take too long to convince myself to go out to the local convenience store and purchase three different pregnancy tests (the lady at the cash register gave me a very odd look as I placed the items on the desk).

The second I got home, I leaped up the stairs two at a time and locked myself in my bathroom. Don't even ask me how I generated enough pee for those three pregnancy tests, but somehow, I did.

Each of them took five minutes to bring up a result. Leaning against my bathroom wall, I did the best I could not to think about anything, but I couldn't stop the thoughts from flowing through my mind: What if I really am having Jong-dae's baby? Should I get an abortion? Will Jessica and mom find out if I do that? What would happen if I kept the baby? Ugh, I'm panicking...

The timer on my phone went off. With shaking feet, I turned towards the sink that I had put the tests in.

+           Pregnant           Yes

My heart stopped.

They are all positive.

I stood stock still for a moment, unsure of what to do with myself, when I felt my inner voice of reason breaking through the cloud of confusion saying, "Stop standing there like an idiot and go to the hospital- maybe they can give you a more accurate test."

So I gathered up my things and was out the door before my sister, who was on the couch in the living room watching TV, could ask where I was going.

I speed-walked all the way to the local gynecologist, made my appointment and awkwardly sat down among the several pregnant women who were in the room, a couple of whom stared at me like I was an alien- teenage pregnancy isn't exactly common where I live.

"Miss Krystal Jung?" called a tall lady from the hallway adjacent to the waiting room. I stood up and followed her into a consultation room, complete with that machine that doctor's use during ultra-sounds.

"Please, sit," said the doctor, "My name is Dr. Linda Smith, and I take it you're Miss Jung?" 

"Yes, that's me," I said, only half-cheerful.

"So," Dr. Smith began, sitting down in her chair behind her desk, "Why have you come to see me today, Miss Jung?"

"Um, well..." I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eye, I was so nervous. Fidgeting with my hands in my lap, I said quietly, "I took some pregnancy tests earlier and, um, they were all positive."

"And you would like some confirmation?" 

I nodded.

"I see," she said, sighing and leaning back in her chair, "Well, for starters, if you are pregnant, do you know how far along you would be?"

I blushed as I said, "About three weeks, maybe..."

"About three weeks...well, in that case, it's too early to perform an ultra-sound, but we can always perform more tests- which brands did you use?" I told her the names. "I see...well, those are the most reliable ones out there, so the only alternative is to try a blood test. What do you say?"

I flinched. I hated having blood taken, but it didn't really seem like there were any other options. "H-how long will it take for the results to come out?"

"Well, we recently had our technology updated, so about an hour. Can you stay here for that long? I'm afraid you'll have to wait in the waiting room, as I have a lot clients to see."

I nodded without hesitation. She fiddled around in her desk for a minute before producing a long needle and donning some green latex gloves and a packet of plasters. "All I need you to do now, Miss Jung, is roll up your sleeve."

I did as I was told and looked away as she came and sat down beside me. I winced slightly as I felt the tiny prick of the needle, and clenched my jaw. "All done," she said once she had placed a miniature plaster over where she had just drawn blood, "Now I'll go and ask my colleague to deal with this, and you just need to go and wait in the waiting room now." With a smile at me, she left the room. 

I walked slowly back to the waiting room and sat down once again. The waiting was hard. I tried to distract myself by reading the various pamphlets they had on display, but it became a vicious cycle of getting worried, trying to calm myself by reading something, coming across the word pregnancy and then getting worried again- although I don't know what I was expecting from those pamphlets considering where I was.

My phone buzzed. When I the screen, I saw a text from Jong-dae saying: We need to talk about something.

I unlocked my phone and quickly sent a reply: What do we need to talk about?

Twenty seconds later, he replied with: Meet me tomorrow at the park? 

Sure.

Obviously, I started worrying. Oh crap, what if Jessica or my mom found the tests and called his parents? What if he already knows? What if he wants me to get an abortion? What if he hates me now? It didn't occur to me that there could have possibly been another reason as to why he wanted to see me.

"Miss Jung?" came Dr. Smith's friendly voice from the corridor. I stood up and followed her back into the consultation room. 

"So," she began, lowering herself into her chair, "Your test results are back..."

"...and?" I asked tentatively, sitting down opposite her.

"Well," she began slowly, "I don't know if what I'm about to tell you is good news or bad news to you, but before I do tell you, I just wanted to let you know that this test has so far proven to be 98% accurate, so you can be pretty certain that whatever this test tells you is true. Do you understand, Miss Jung?"

I nodded, feeling myself become more and more tense. This was it. This was the moment that would define the rest of my life. Everything depended on what Dr. Smith was about to tell me.

She sighed. "Miss Jung...you're pregnant."

I ran out of the building with my hand covering my face. I ran like this all the way home, and all the way up the stairs, blocking out Jessica's concerned call of, "Krystal?" 

I ran into my room, shut the door and crumbled against it, sobbing into my knees. I'm pregnant. I'm having a baby. At the age of seventeen. I'm gonna be a mom in less than a year.

Everything is over for me.

 

A.N: Woo! This was a mighty long chapter (at least for me)! Hopefully I'll be able to update a little more frequently for the next few weeks now that I'm off school and my DEATHLY ILLNESS has mostly gone *touch wood*, so please look forward to that! I really appreciate the nice comments I've been getting- honestly, even when it doesn't seem like it'll be that big of a deal when you first write it, reading nice things really makes my day :-) See you in the next chapter! (God, it was so tempting to write 'space cowboy' just then.)