Intro

The Dinos and Miss Jung

 

A little introduction from me. The name is Amber Josephine Liu. You may call me Amber. I prefer that way since everyone called me by that name and of course because it’s a given name in my birth certificate. I’m a girl for sure and I’m 20 years old. I have a little brother. His name is Aiden Joseph Liu but I always call him Aiden. He is 8 years old and I’m a legal guardian for him after the death of my parents. My life is a tragic. My mother passed away after giving birth to Aiden while my father died few months ago after a long battle of lung cancer.

 

Ever since my father passed away, both Aiden and I suffered and struggling to live. We never have a proper house to stay because both my paternal and maternal grandparents disown us, claiming that we’re the cause of our parent’s deaths. I never blame nor hate them for doing so. Somehow I can relate how painful yet heartbreaking is that knowing their only daughter and son left them early.

 

I remembered how they reacted when I brought Aiden to their house to inform them about my father passed away and wanting them to help Aiden. They shooed us and threaten to call the police if we ever come to their house again. I was begging for their mercy to take Aiden in but sadly only to be greeted by the guards that later asking us to leave politely. Some tried to give us money but I refused to take it because I know, I didn’t come for money but for my poor little brother to be taken inside.  

 

I backed out and hugged my brother tightly feeling sorry because I can’t fulfill my promise to him. It was raining heavily and I cried out loud. Aiden cupped my face and asked me why our grandparents don’t open the gate. What should I tell him? He is just 8 years old, for God sake. My first lie to him, “We’ve got the wrong house Aiden.” The innocent boy only nodded his head and took my hand and says “It’s okay Hyung. You can take care of me. You won’t leave me right?” By then, I pulled his body and hide him inside my soaking shirt. Ever since that day, I took the full responsibility to take care of my only bloodline.

 

Aiden is a very good and obedient boy. He didn’t deserve to be hatred because he is still a fragile and innocent soul. I will sacrifice just about anything and everything even my soul just to see him happy and live in a life that he deserved. He is indeed my strength to wake up daily and live until now. Despite of our hard life, he did well in every exam he took. Although I couldn’t afford to enroll him in a good school, he never failed to make me proud.

 

I’ve always bragging about his flying colors result. My audiences are always our neighbors, my colleagues in the wet market and the fast food restaurant where I work part-time. I can’t stop smiling from ear to ear hearing how they congratulated and complimented him. It got me a cramp muscles around my jaws that lasted for days sometimes. But I always love it and the feelings keep me warm inside.

 

For whatever happened in our daily life, I never forget to offer my prayers in the nearest church to tell God how thankful we are and how well my little brother did in his exams so God can pass the message to my parents even though I know they are looking at us every second and so proud of him.

 

 

********** A year later **************

 

 

I remembered the first time when Aiden told me that his teacher wanted to see me at his school. I was so afraid and nervous of what to do next. I went to check on my little notebook where I always jotted down and kept the payment receipt for his school fees. I scanned the whole pages but only to see that I never missed any payment. I wonder why his school teacher wanted to see me after all.

 

“Yah, little Dino! Why did you do this time?”

“What?”

“Why all of sudden your school teacher wanted to see me? Did you do something at your school?”

“Hyung, do I look like a dork like you?”

“Yah, it’s in our blood okay?”

“No. It is not.”

“Yah! You little Dino! Come here you little brat! How dare you smug like a boss in front of me?”

“Hyung, grow up will you?”

“Haisssshhhh… This kid! Seriously, why your teacher wants to see me?”

“I don’t know hyung. Just come with me and meet my teacher already!”

“What should I wear anyway?”

“Are you really my hyung? You act like my little brother again.”

“Yah! I hate you little Dino! By the way, tomorrow don’t you dare to call me hyung. I’m still a girl. We should show manners and you must call me Noona, okay?”

“Are you a girl, hyung? I don’t remember calling you Noona before. By the way, I love you too.”

“Are you sure you’re nine years old? Go sleep now. We still need to wake up early tomorrow.”

“Good night hyung.”

“Good night little Dino.”

“Hyung, you going to love my teacher. She’s a nice teacher.”

“Just sleep first, little Dino.”

 

As I lay myself on the thin mattress, I can’t stop thinking why his school teacher wants to see me. I got up and browse our shared cupboard. I pick up few polo shirts that I keep very well for occasions like this. Even though I did not earn much from my jobs but still I don’t want to embarrass my little brother whenever I have to come to his school. I chose the white polo shirt and a pair of black jeans. I fold it neatly and place it near the little Dino school uniform. I went back to lay by his side and kiss his forehead and pull the blanket to his chest.

 

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

hey there... thanks for reading my story. i'm still a newbie. i hope you'll enjoy reading it. Your comments are welcomed... thanks ^^v