Swing Set - Joonhyuk

★Whispering Lucifer★ A SHINee one-shot collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N - Alright, I named your story 'Swing Set' because it really suited the story. I hope you liked, especially since you didn't specify much I wrote the best that I could also I hope the fluff was OK, I tried really hard because I have serious problems in writing fluff now a days! Read through it! I hope you enjoyed it!

Onew may have been the eldest in the group – for heaven’s sake, his preferences sometimes were like an old man’s – but he definitely had the little kid mentality. On days it was raining, the other members wanted to stay inside and read books or watch the TV to see if they were on, on the other hand, Onew would grab Taemin’s hand and drag him out of the dorm and into the rain since he was the youngest and therefore the easiest to bully. If he saw cotton candy he would bug the manager so much the other members would shove him personally out of the car to go buy the cotton candy and run back to the van. Let’s not even talk about what would happen if Onew spotted fried chicken. Everyone would have to dive for cover because Onew was desperate.

Minho truly thought that he was one of the most unlucky people when he walked into the dorm after returning from SM after dance practice. Taemin was out promoting his ‘Ace’ album, Key was working on a ‘Twoheart’ thing with Woohyun once again and Jonghyun was preparing an OST for some new drama. So that meant that he was alone in the dorm with Onew. They had just moved into a new dorm because of the fans crowding their old neighbourhood. It was a disturbance to the neighbours.

And because they had just moved in, Minho hadn’t unpacked his bags yet, otherwise he’d sit and read a book in his room. But since all of his books were still taped up in their boxes, he’d have to settle for the TV and maybe watch reruns of a soccer match. He sighed and kicked off his shoes. He walked over to the fridge and pulled out a banana milk. He knew he was stealing from Taemin’s stock, but at the current moment, he didn’t exactly care. He walked over to the sofa with the unhealthiest snack that he could grab and sat down, switching on the TV.

He flipped through the channels, chewing and drinking. Crazy schedules, he was really tired and he deserved a break like Jinri. He could see the pictures of her enjoying herself and it made him so jealous. He sighed and settled for the rerun of Krystal’s drama ‘My Lovely Girl’. Lucky kid, she got to act with Rain Sunbae. He leaned back on the sofa and put his legs on the coffee table. He was enjoying himself and staring at Krystal in awe for her acting when suddenly the most childish member of their group jumped in front of him.

He was sporting his ‘Hello’ hairstyle.

“A fan told me this is my cutest hairstyle. Do I look cute to you?” Onew asked with a bright smile.

Minho choked, spurting banana milk all over the coffee table. He clutched his shirt and coughed, leaning over the packets of chips and sweets while he tried to return to his normal state. Onew didn’t help as much by coming behind him and pounding his back like there was absolutely no tomorrow. Minho coughed even more, pushing Onew away as he tried to regain his breath.

“Oh my gosh, hyung, what on earth?” Minho gasped out.

“Do I look cute?” Onew repeated the question once again.

“Why are you even asking me that? You look old, like you usually do,” Minho said, waving his hand in a dismissive manner. Onew pouted and then sat down next to Minho to watch with him. Minho was startled by the sudden peace and silence. Usually when Onew found the time to bug him, he would never stop till Minho forcefully threw him out of the room or just went along with it. Minho turned to look at Onew who was pouting next to him and failing at glaring at the TV.

Aw…so cute…

Minho froze at his own thought.

Wait, what? I did not say that…think that…same thing…who cares?...just no!

“Agh!” Minho slapped himself and screamed.

“What’s wrong?” Onew asked in surprise.

“Nothing…please go away…” Minho whined.

Silence only disturbed by the sound of chips crunching.

“Minho ah,” Onew turned to Minho, a blindingly happy smile on his face. Minho turned to look at his hyung, uneasily. “Let’s go out, there’s a playground nearby. It looks like fun.” Onew grinned at Minho and grabbed his hand in a tight grip. Minho gulped. Why was he the only one at home? Couldn’t Onew take anyone else? He could call Jonghyun to see if he was done with his work!

“Hyung, I’m watching-” before Minho could even finish speaking, Onew grabbed the remote and turned off the TV. “I’m eating-” Onew grabbed the chips and shoved the last bits of it into his mouth. “But hyung!” Minho whined.

“But Minho!” Onew wailed right back. “Minho, come and play with me! Come and play with me!” Onew grabbed the sofa pillow and started hitting him with it. Minho let out a very girly squeal and then tried to crawl away from the pillow-crazy-chicken-lover Onew. The blows grew even harder and the great Dream Team Choi Minho found absolutely no escape when his forehead met the arm rest. Onew grabbed Minho’s ankle and dragged him back down the sofa and glared down at him, that pout back on his face. “Come to the playground with me, or I’ll flick forehead!”

“Alright, I’ll come with you!” Minho surrendered instantly. He was not going to play with the life of his forehead when it came to Onew, for all he knew, Onew might even split his head open with the amount of force he put into flicking people’s foreheads, it’s why no one dared to play rock, paper, scissors with him. Onew pulled away, a happy smile on his face.

“Come on! I miss swing sets the most!” Onew grabbed Minho’s wrist and dragged him out the door. Both of them pulled up the zips of their jackets and then pulled up their hoods to avoid being recognized by anyone. Minho was confused. He hadn’t seen any playground nearby. Onew led him across the streets and then down an alley. The roads were starting to become uneven as they walked on. The roads started to become narrow and they started to wind around on end.

“Where are we even going, hyung? Did you spend the day exploring or something?” Minho asked. They spent the next few minutes jogging down the uncivilized, narrow roads. “Hyung, how are we supposed to find a playground here? How do you even count this as nearby?” Minho asked. He got absolutely no answer from Onew. “Or are you trying to kidnap me and sell me off? Hyung, I know that I’m good looking, but you could’ve grabbed Jongin or something and-” Minho cut off. “Yah! Hyung are you even listening to me?”

“Sh!” Onew put a finger on Minho’s lips. Minho went cross eyed as he tried to stare at Onew’s finger, suddenly feeling extremely violated by Onew’s innocent finger. He was tempted to it to make Onew take it off his mouth. “We’re here…”

“What do you even mean we’re here? We’ve been winding around in coffin sized alleys for the past few who-knows-how-long, where would a playground even come from? From the sky-” Onew grabbed Minho’s jaw and made him look forwards. “-and…Woah…”

In front of them was a huge open field with a brightly coloured playground in the middle. It looked like it had been made for at least fifty kids to play in at the same time. It was surrounded by a metal-net fence and a gate that had a sign that said ‘Playground Is No Longer In Order’.

“Wait, so are you telling me that we are about to break into an abandoned park?” Minho asked incredulously.

“I already broke into it. It’s fun, I don’t know why it shut down.” Onew shrugged and pushed open the gate. It creaked on its hinges.

“What if it’s haunted?” Minho asked worriedly. Then an even worse idea occurred to him. “Wait, you came here this morning didn’t you? You’ve dragged me here to kill you! You’re possessed! Someone save me! He’s going to murder me-”

“Oh, keep quiet,” Onew grabbed his arm and dragged him into the playground. “Let’s go to the swing set!” Onew jumped up and down happily like a little kid, pointing at the bright, red swings. Minho found himself chuckling at Onew’s childish behaviour. He was so cute at times.

Choi Minho! Again? You need to put your head on straight!

“Alright then, but you’re the only one swinging,” Minho said. He followed Onew to the swing set. Onew sat down, a huge smile on his face. Onew kicked off and started swinging as Minho leaned against the pole that held the swing set up. Onew was laughing in delight. Minho smiled as he watched Onew.

“How are you so young and carefree, hyung?” Minho whispered.

Onew was indeed the eldest member in the group, but in all honesty, he was the happiest member of them all. Taemin was always running around now a days with his popularity increasing and he was actually getting pretty scary sasaeng fans. Key was running back and forth filming ‘We Got Married’ and he was working on ‘Twoheart’, Minho was wondering when Key would snap and go crazy. Jonghyun was working hard on doing his own stuff even though he didn’t show it to the public much. He was toiling away at giving the younger kids vocal lessons and trying to get Joonmyeon off his back because the EXO leader was desperate for a stress reliever and advice, so he turned instantly to his best friend. Minho pitied Jonghyun the most, no one really saw what he was doing but he was working so hard. Minho and Onew were the only two who had the least schedules. But everyone knew how much stress Onew was going through even though he smiled it all away.

With SM Entertainment falling into crisis, everyone turned to SHINee expecting them to save their sinking ship. Onew was working hard on their comeback planning and he was working on setting up things with their fan club, dealing with the press, he was also dealing with the EXO press and helping out the EXO members with the crisis they were dealing with. SM was falling to the rock bottom and Onew was expected to deal with the outside works, especially since Leeteuk was still being harassed with the incident of his father and his grandparents.

“Minho! Join me!” Onew said waving at Minho.

Minho rolled his eyes, but walked forwards anyways and sat down on one of the swings before slowly swinging himself forwards, letting go of all his worries and becoming a child once again. The last few months had been so stressful for all of them, but now, he let himself let go. With Onew right next to him, Minho forgot everything. Then he understood why he both liked and disliked Onew at times.

Onew was his cure. But like a drug addict, he wasn’t ready to let go of his worries.

------o------

“And where were the two of you?” Jonghyun asked with crossed arms as Minho and Onew arrived back at dorms, breathless and laughing to their hearts content.

“Out walking,” Onew answered without batting an eyelid.

“Out walking, huh?” Jonghyun asked in annoyance. Taemin was passed out on the sofa and their manager was shifting through their things in the fridge. “And we weren’t even invited.”

“You could go out for a walk too, you know,” Minho said with a shrug.

“Hyung, pass me one of Taemin’s banana milks,” Onew said walking over to the fridge.

“You guys were out for three hours according to the guard. Where did you guys go and walk for three hours?” Jonghyun asked with a raised eyebrow. Minho looked at the clock and noticed that it was eleven fifteen in the night already. Their manager went over to Taemin and slowly shook him awake.

“Taemin ah, we have to go. You have another shooting,”

Taemin slowly sat up and looked around.

“Ah, hi hyung,” Taemin smiled at Onew and Minho.

“Here kiddo, I packed you a couple of stuff,” suddenly Onew was by Taemin’s side, holding up a bag of snacks and necessities. Taemin blinked before taking the bag with a thankful smile. Taemin stood up and walked out with their manager. After Onew made dinner for them, Jonghyun instantly fell asleep in the room that he shared with Key.

Minho searched for Onew to find him on the balcony and looking down at the small streets below. There was a cool breeze in the air and the silence

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter