004

Mr Alpha & Mr Bravo

Tumblr

 

"You have to go, Jiyeul-ah! It's really fun." Eunah said as she tried to catch up with you. As usual, in her arms were a pile of books. She tried to balance them in one hand while she pushed her glasses up with the other. 

 

"I'll think about it first." You replied, slowing down and pulling a few books from her to help loosen the load. 

 

"Thank you." She whispered, then hugged the rest of the books against her chest. "I hope you'll go!" 

 

"I hope I will too." You said. Frankly speaking, you didn't have much interest in going to the camp. Especially to a place owned by such a rude and disrespectful person. You used to be fond of camps but being in the school didn't make you look forward to it at all. The people who all of higher status than you were, or have talents you don't. They all seem much more superior to you and most of them are hostile and unfriendly. Take Ahri for example. She has been shooting unpleasant looks at you the whole day and so did her group of friends. Whenever you pass by them, they would start whispering and snickering at you. 

 

"Let's go change quickly. We have gym now." You said and pulled her to get your gym clothes. The two of you got changed and headed to the gym. You both made it in time for gym and gathered around infront of the gym coach, like everyone else. You spot Ahri across you and you smiled politely. Instead of receiving a smile back, she glared at you. You felt as if she stared right into your soul or something. Wiping the smile off your face, you turned your attention back to the coach instead. You didn't understand why she was acting so cold towards you but something told you it was because of Bobby... Half way through the briefing for the games, the gym door burst opened and everyone turned silent, turning towards the direction. Everyone watched the guy as he beamed sheepishly and jogged towards the coach, waving his hand a little in the air in embarrassment.

 

"Mian~" He sang casually then a laugh escaped his mouth. That voice was familiar to you, so you tiptoed and peeked over someone's head. To your uptmost surprise, it was Bobby. 

 

"Bobby Kim." The coach snapped with a stern face as he glared at the young boy. Bobby jogged up next to the coach then awkwardly bowed at him.

 

"Sorry sir! I fell asleep during the talk..." He said and people started giggling. You too, couldn't help but smile slightly. Bobby was a little embarrassed about it, yet at the same time, he seemed calm and casual, as if the scary aura of the coach doesn't bother him one bit. There was only one word to describe how Bobby looked at that moment and it was 'Cool'. 

 

"You shall run 5 rounds more than everyone else during the warm-up." The coach yelled and Bobby held his hands up in a surrender position.

 

"Alright alright. I'll run but you don't have to yell. I'm right infront of you, sir." He grinned and that oviously made the coach even madder. If a guy shows up late for your lesson and dare act so mighty and unafraid, you would be mad, wouldn't you? Coach Shin was a hot-tempered and unreasonable man. Such confident behaviour literally threw him off his top. 

 

Everyone started smiling and giggling among themselves. You bit back a laughter and felt a nudge from Eunah.

 

"He's so cool and cute at the same time, isn't he?" Eunah whispered to you. You turned your eyes back at Bobby. He was grinning and scractching his head at the angry coach. Angry words spilled out of the coach's mouth but Bobby didn't seemed bothered by it. After a few minutes, Ahri spoke up. "Coach, can we start?" 

 

That simple question and the coach's anger seemed to disappear. He remembered about the lesson and hastily asked everyone to start warming up. Unexpectedly, he asked Bobby to lead the warm-up. What an irony... Now that you looked again, it seemed like the coach liked Bobby. As in, he favoured Bobby. So what's up with all that yelling?  

 

Bobby stood himself infront of everyone and grinned. "Let's start." He shrugged and started stretching. Everyone followed him. Half way through the stretching, Bobby glanced around to make sure everyone was doing it right. When your eyes made contact, he jumped up and forgot about the stretching. His cheeks flushed pink and he coughed. 

 

"Hi." You mouthed and smiled. He waved and grinned from ear to ear. Everyone was done and started jogging laps around the court. You ran with Eunah but she slowed down drastically after the third round.

 

"Eunah, are you okay?" You asked, slowing down as well and patting her back. She looked pale and extremely exhausted. She shook her head and stopped completely.

 

"I... have asthma... I'll be fine... I'll... Just go rest." She panted as she stared at the ground. She seemed to be having difficulties breathing and that made you panicked more.

 

"Asthma?!" You cried, quickling pulling her to the side and sitting her down on a bench. "Why didn't you say so earlier?" You didn't know what to do so you kept patting her while glancing around worriedly. No one seemed to notice you guys as they ran on ahead. Bobby was running at the back so he saw the two of you sitting by the side and he ran over.

 

"What's wrong?" He asked, looking at the two of you worriedly. You were so relieved that he was here.

 

"She's... She's having asthma." You quickly explained and shot him a 'what-do-we-do' look. 

 

"Do you have your inhaler?" He asked and you mentally slapped yourself. Wow, Ahn Jiyeul. How could you not thought of that, you idiot! You screamed in your head.

 

Eunah was still panting heavily. She nodded slightly and pointed towards the locker room. Seeing how calm Bobby was acting, it gave you the assurance and somehow, you felt calmer too. 

 

"I'll go get it." You said as you stood up. Coach, who was busy yelling at the students, noticed the three of you and headed over.

 

"What's going on?!" He yelled. 

 

"Coach, there's no time for yelling now. This girl... She's having asthma." Bobby stated matter-of-factly. You didn't hear the rest of the conversation as you took off towards the direction of the locker room. You ran down rows of lockers, trying to figure out where her locker was. 

 

"Think. Think." You slapped your head lightly as you paced around. Finally, you remembered her locker being three columns away from yours. You ran as fast as you could towards it and when you reached it, you pulled open the locker. You fumbled around her things and finally, found her inhaler. With the inhaler, you ran back to the gym. When you came back, you saw that Eunah looked even more serious. You quickly handed the inhaler to the coach and he placed it into .

 

Everyone else was now watching quietly at the scene. After a few gasps of the inhaler, Eunah's breathing became calmer and slower. You heaved a sigh of relief when you see that she was now okay. 

 

"Alright! You shall all start with the game of basketball. I'll send her to the infirmary and come back! You may form your own teams this time. Now chopchop, move along and stop staring!" The coach yelled as he waved at everyone. He helped Eunah out and they walked out. Soon, the gym was filled with chitter chatter as they try and form their teams. 

 

You didn't know anyone well so you stood exactly where you were, watching everyone awkwardly. You stared at the door and hoped that Eunah would be okay. 

 

"Hello!" 

 

You turned around and blinked in surprise at a cheery Bobby. Unknowingly, you smiled. 

 

"Let's be in the same team!" He chirped.

 

"Okay!" You nodded your head. Why not right? The only person you knew here now was Bobby. Being in the same team would be so much better than being around people whose names you don't even know or faces you don't even recognise. After teams were made, the students formed the order of the teams. Your team was playing first against....

 

Those teams that weren't playing first moved out of the court and sat down on the benches by the side. Now that the court was clear, you could see your opponents clearly. Guy one, guy two, guy three, girl one, girl- Ahri? 

 

"Ahri! Come over! Let's do a team cheer." One of her teammates called and she pried her eyes off you. Yep, no doubt it was Ahri. She was fuming mad that Bobby and you were in the same team. 

 

"Jiyeul! Let's do a team cheer too!" Bobby called out for you. Both you and Ahri looked at him... but the only person he was looking at was you. You saw that the rest of your teammates were waiting for you and you quickly hurried over, placing your hand ontop of Bobby's. 

 

"Team B!" You guys cheered, throwing your hands into the air. You grinned as Bobby said words of encouragement to the team. Someone blew the whistle and the game started. The boys were the main players since they were more experienced at it. They threw the ball to the girls from time to time and often letting them shoot. 

 

When Bobby got the ball, he passed it to you. You bit your lips and bounced the basketball. Well... It wasn't as easy as you expected it to be. To be honest, you were horrible at it. Some people laughed at you and Bobby shot them a 'shut-up' look. When they caught Bobby's glare, they stopped laughing. Bobby thought the way you were bouncing the ball was adorable. You had never played basketball before. You were a soccer player, bouncing or dribbling balls with hands was never easy for you. Finally, you caught the ball and passed it on to another teammate. 

 

You pouted because you knew you did horrible. You stood awkwardly by the side as your teammate scored a goal. Bobby caught your expression and when he ran past you, he patted your head.

 

"You did well~" He chimed and shot you an eyesmile. That definitely brightened your mood and you perked up slightly, smiling at him. He gave you a thumbs up then turned around to defend an opponent. Unknowingly, your face turned bright red and that smile on your face stayed on throughout the whole game. Everytime he caught the ball. he would pass it to you. Once, he even encouraged you to try and shoot the ball into the hoop. He quickly told you where to hold the ball at and taught you an easy technique to throw it. Following his  You turned to him and started jumping excitedly.

 

"It went in!" You said and he gave you a hi-five. Bobby ruffled your hair and that widened your smile. 

 

"It must be because of my good coaching!" Bobby taunted, wiggling his eyebrows at you. Scoffing dramatically, you punched him lightly and he laughed.

 

"Your coaching isn't very spectacular, mister." You said, sticking your tongue out at him. 

 

"Don't lie, woman." He said back, nudging you slightly. Beaming each other a smile, you two ran after the ball. 

 

//

 

Gym lesson was over and you were the last to enter the shower room. The other girls were gathered around Ahri and whispering among themselves. They stopped talking and looked at you after you entered. You awkwardly entered a cubicle and washed up, wondering why everyone was looking at you. After the shower, you felt refreshed and energized. You left your shower cubicle and found the place to be empty. You walked to your locker and casually checked your phone for the time. It was 15 minutes to your next lesson. You didn't see anyone else at the girls' locker so you packed up your stuffs and dried your hair with your towel.

 

"Ahn. Jiyeul." 

 

You whipped around, the towel still on your head. It was Ahri.

 

She had her arms crossed, her lips pluckered and her eyes flashing with distaint. She looked like one angry woman. Wait, no- she was an angry woman. 

 

"Uh...Yes?"

 

Ahri scoffed at you. "Don't 'uh...yes?' me." 

 

That made things awkward because you didn't know what else to say. Why was she being so rude? You narrowed your eyes at her and shrugged.

 

"Okay." 

 

Ahri eyes flashed with anger and she took a step towards you. "I don't know what you did to Bobby or whatever you said to him but from today onwards, you are to stay as far away as you can from him." She demanded, pointing a finger at you. You didn't like that one bit and that made you feel disrespected. Did you even do something wrong? Why was she restricting you from Bobby?

 

You opened your mouth to ask her why but she cut you off by hissing, "If you don't, you're going to have a hard time." With that, she turned around and walked off, leaving you dumbfounded. You never expect to be dragged into some sort of drama and to you, these kind of scenarios usually happens only in romance dramas. What exactly is the problem here? You're just friends with Bobby. No — Not even friends, just acquaintances. You don't even know him well and things are still awkward between the two of you. You've only get saved by him once, spoke to him during gym and hung out with him at the music store. Ahri was around too so why was she so mad? There could be two possible reasons. One; she's his girlfriend. Two; she likes him.

 

//

 

"You all know what day today is right?" Jinhwan asked the rest as he stretched his arms and legs on the couch.

 

"What?" Jinhyeong asked as he try to remember what day it is.

 

"Yah! It's our recruitment day." Jinhwan said as he smacked Jinhyeong's head. The latter pouted and rubbed his head.

 

"Oh yeah. Sorry." Jinhyeong smiled apologetically and shrugged. 

 

"It's the day we became the kingkas remember? It's time to invite someone. Last year it was Hongseok, this year..." Jinhwan glanced at Bobby.

 

Bobby grinned and sat down onto the couch. "It's my turn!" He waved, raising his hand into the air. Everyone sat around him on the couch.

 

"So, who's the lucky guy you've set your eyes on?" B.I asked.

 

"Well... It's not a guy." Bobby said, eyeing B.I carefully. Everyone eyes froze and stared at Bobby quietly. If it's not a guy then...

 

"What do you mean it's not a guy?" Jinhwan asked, awkwardly glancing at B.I, who was now staring at the ground silently. 

 

"I mean, the person... is a girl." Bobby said softly. Nobody expected it to be a girl. Especially after the previous female member... left. No girl had ever been mentioned upon recruitment ever since the departure of the first and last female member. It was an ugly memory, especially to B.I.

 

"G-girl?" Donghyuk stuttered, shocked at Bobby's suggestion. Everyone felt flabbergasted and everyone wasn't very fond of the idea of having a girl member. 

 

"Yeah. She's new and all... So she doesn't really have any fixed friends or clique yet. It'll cause less problems than the previous three invitations." Bobby explained quickly, nervously looking at B.I throughout the whole team. The leader kept silent. He didn't like the idea of inviting a girl. Doing that would most probably mean that the girl would become a queenka. Together with a lot of hate from their 'fangirls'. Hongseok, Jinhyeong and Chanwoo were invitated even though they had formed their own friends and it caused a lot of unhappiness and displeasure. The three boys got into a lot of fights with their previous friends and many targeted them as victims for bullying. VEA Academy was no ordinary school. The cliques in this school were very 'club' like, some with a pack organization, others with rules and regulations. Few cliques in this school are likes normal ones. Crossing over cliques often leads to fights and long-term conflict.

 

"That's true... But." Jinhwan said, sneaking a look at B.I. Everyone caught the hint and nodded, including Bobby.

 

"Our fanclub won't be very pleased about it though." Yunhyeong stated as a matter-of-factly. The six members, Junhoe, Yunhyeong, Chanwoo, Donghyuk, Jinhyeong and Hongseok could only point out ideas. Usually, the members with a bigger role, B.I, Bobby and Jinhwan made the decisions of inviting new members. They three boys took turns to pick a new friend. They wanted to do this because in VEA, these three boys had the most attention and love from other students. Instead of keeping all these to themselves, they wanted to share the titles of kingkas. Hence, every year, the pick one or a few students to become part of their popular clique. 

 

"Yeah, and it's may lead to a similar incident to that again." Donghyuk added carelessly, earning a nudge from both Jinhyeong and Chanwoo. He mentally slapped himself and made a mental note not to repeat that mistake again. B.I didn't budge throughout the whole conversation and that worried everyone else even more.

 

"Who's that girl?" Junhoe asked, trying to divert the attention.

 

"Ahn Jiyeul."