Prolouge

Insanity

 

Kim Eunmi

 

 

Libraries were always my favorite place to go. Whenever I felt sad or lonely, books kept me safe. They keep me at peace. They make my day a little better and they are my escape from this panopticon and I just indulge myself in a world full of adventure and thrills. Being the youngest had its advantages and disadvantages. One disadvantage - specifically for me - was that my parents and brother look very different from me.

 

I have long, black hair that cascaded down my back while my parents have dark brown hair. I think the only thing my family and I have in common is our love for books. It seems as if it runs in our blood. So after my brother, Minseok, graduated from university, he opened up his own library that is also somewhat a book store. He named the place Sillage which is French that meant remembering small moments that are destined to be lost and the interior was like a crossover between the gothic era and the Victorian era.

 

I thought it would look mismatched but my brother pulled it off. I work part time there and full time when it's summer. My brother was out because he needed to get some new books since Sillage opened up just three months ago. We needed at least four more people to help us out because Sillage was very big. I mean, my family was very well off. My dad is one of the top lawyers in Seoul and my mom is a fashion icon here and she owns her own her own brand of clothing lines. So growing up, it was just my brother and I.

 

"Aish. This place is going to be a dust shop if oppa doesn't hire more help. I can't clean this whole place all by myself." I complained tiredly, when the door opened and a slightly panting man walked in. He had cuts and bruises all over. What happened to him? I asked him worriedly, "A-are you okay?"

 

He must have not heard me because his eyes looked around in amazement and once he noticed me, his eyes widened and he blushed slightly, embarrassed. He huffed cutely and pointed at the door. Thinking if he was asking if Sillage was open, I nodded with a small smile gracing my lips as I do so. He suddenly looked as if he was going to fist pump the air then he pouted. He looked at me again - but not meeting my eyes - and pointed at the flyer on the door. My eyes widened in realization and I slightly bowed my head apologetically. I walked over to the desk and pulled out a blank paper and a pen. I handed it to him and he looked at me questioningly. My cheeks burned under his gaze and I explained shyly, "You write down your number and my brother will call you back when he gets back here."

 

He nodded wordlessly and started writing. As he was writing, I observed him. He had long eyelashes that girls would die for. His cheeks were slightly burning and his lips were pouty and pink and kissable. Though there were cuts on it. His eyes were something else. His eyes were like a deer’s. His eyes sparkled with something I cannot point out.

 

"P-please... don't look at me." His pleading voice broke me from my thoughts. "Please."

 

"Sorry." I mumbled as he handed me the paper that was once blank and the pen. As he was leaving, I whispered, "Bye."

 

He looked back and gave me a small smile that was breath taking and walked out. As the breeze from outside hit me after the door closed, I heard the faintest voice whisper, "Goodbye."

 

And at that moment, I regret not asking for a name. His name. 

 

 

 

A/N:

So what do you think? Any comments? Questions?