Ch. 2 Bad Luck

Bloom

After Ravi left Yebin just stood in the sidewalk with her left hand reaching out. She regretted that she didn't say anything. She stayed like that for a few minutes, frozen, hoping he'll come back again.

Then she started raising both her arms in front of her, moved them in circles and closed her eyes. She then started pretending like she was one of those wizards in her books trying to cast a spell. "He is going to come back. I will see him again" she whispered.

She knew that there will be no effect. But she just wanted to try. She really wanted to see him again and be his friend.

She continued acting like a wizard until she opened her eyes again and noticed that there were three students in front of her. They looked creeped out. The little one started crying so the oldest one comforted it. Therefore, the other got irritated and yelled, "Ay ajumma! you shouldnt be blocking the sidewalk and scaring children".

Yebin's face turned red and didn't know what to do. She was flustered. She kept trying to hug the little kid and comfort her. But she kept hesistating, pulling her hands back. She thought: no they'll think I'm more weird, I was just some stranger looking like I was doing some voodoo magic, now Im trying to hug them!!!? But what else should I do?

She was panicking. She kept turning around and messing up her hair trying to think of what to do while turning back around to pat the sobbing girl's back to comfort her. However, she kept stopping and pulling her hand back, hitting her head thinking no dont do that thats weird.

As she kept doing that, looking like a hot mess. The kids just got more scared. The little girl started crying louder and the two kids just looked at Yebin angrily judging.

Yebin finally pulled her thoughts together and was able to say a few words.

"Im sooooo soo so sorry :( I didnt mean to scare you guys. Im nice I swear". Her voice was shaky but at least she was able to say something.

The little girl still didnt stop crying so Yebin just thought of giving her something to make the little girl happy.Yebin reached for her backpack and opened it. She rummaged through her stuff trying to find something. What do I give her. Oh candy! There might be candy here somewhere... paper? Its pink. Girls like pink right? No thats stupid. Ah a pen. It makes ... like clicking sounds? and woah different colors in different clicks. Kids like interactive right? Oh my gosh.

She couldnt think of what to give the kid. Therefore, she gave up looking and closed her eyes. She planned on grabbing the first thing she gets a hold of and give it to the sobbing girl.

"Here i'll give you something. Just please stop crying", she pulled out a dictionary and handed it to the kid. When it was already in the kid's hands, Yebin just realized that it was a dictionary and got embrassed. She was gonna take it back and give her something better but she doesnt know what else to give. There isnt really anything fun in her backpack.

The girl stopped crying and all of them just looked at the dictionary with a confuse face. Yebin realized that it was weird giving a kid a dictionary but she was just relived that the girl stopped crying. She didnt want to embrassed herself more so she just said sorry and ran away.

As she was running away she looked at her surroundings and none of it looked familiar. She remembered that she has gotten lost earlier and now she was even more lost.

"Ottokaji. What do I do? Its getting dark already", Yebin said while wondering around trying to figure out how to get home. She figured that she should go back and retrace her steps and hopefully she'll get to a place she recognized.

She tried to remember where she came from but she was completely clueless to how she got there. She wasnt paying attention to her surroundings at all. She was too busy panicing about the bully and thinking about how she made a fool out of herself in front of children.

"Babo. You fool! Look at kind of mess you have got yourself into", she lectured herself and started hitting her head as a punishment.

As she was hitting her head she remembered a story in one of her books where the characters got lost in the forest and they used the stars and a compass to find their way home. Therefore she zipped open her bag and looked for a compass. Because she is such a nerd, she actually had one laying around her bag.

She kissed the compass and said "Thank Goodness this wasnt the one I pulled out of my bag to give to the kid. It would have been better than the dictionary tho. Lol".

She tried remembering what they did in the story and mimiced it. She pretended like she knew what she was doing and said, "If my house is by the train which is in South then the north star should be on my right. Which mean that I should head North East 75 degree towards..... ", she paused and realized that this was not gonna get her anywhere,".....Narnia. Yup because this is no use. What the heckie am I doing?".

She was feeling hopeless. She looked up at the sky and begged "Pls God help me find my way home!" After she yelled it, a rain drop fell in her cheeks and it started raining.

"No! Why do I have such bad luck!!? A bunch of bad stuff happened to me today now this. The universe hates me", Yebin started crying in the middle of the street. She was getting drenched but she didnt move. She just looked at the floor and watched the rain drop make splashes in the puddle.

Then all of a sudden she noticed that the puddle under her had no rain drops falling on it anymore. Did it stop raining she thought. She looked up from the floor to make sure, but it was still raining around her.

"Thats weird. What the heck? Why is it raining everywhere but I'm not getting wet anymore," she wondered. Therefore, she looked up at the sky and saw that an umbrella was over her. It was being held by someone behind her.

She was nervous because she didnt know who it was. She grabbed her backback to use it as a weapon just in case it was someone dangerous. Then she slowly turned around to checked who it was.

She first saw sneakers that looked liked it belong to a boy. She wondered Omg what if it's Ravi and he is here to save me again. She then started being excited and quickly looked up.

However, she was disappointed when she found out it wasnt him. She started panicking . She thought Who is this guy? Is her trying to creep on a helpless girl hoping he'll be lucky. Ya ryt. She grabbed her bag full of heavy books and started hitting him.

"Hey hey stop it why are you hitting me?", the guy complained , "Im just trying to help".

"Why are you helping me? You dont know me? Who asked for your help? You're probably gonna kidnap me and me. Go away!", Yebin screamed as she continued hitting him.

The guy had enough so he grabbed her hand and took the bag from her hand. "Stop it already, Yebin. You have always been so paranoid. I can see nothing changed. Dont you remember me?"

Yebin stopped what she was doing and looked closely at the boy. She began to grab his face and turned it left and right to have a closer look. As she was observing his face, he started looking familiar to her. Then she let go of his face when she realized she was being weird again.

"Yah weirdo! Do you remember me now? I can see you are still the same as before. Why did you have to hit me with your book bag Geez !!!?", said the guy

"Lets go. We are getting wet" He grabbed her hand and they ran to find some shelter.

When they found shelter, Yebin just looked at his face trying to figure out where she knew him. She knew that she knew him before but where? She was deep in thought staring at the guy until he snapped at her face and said "Hey whats wrong with you? Still dont know me? Im Ken, you're old neighbor. When we were kids, our parents forced us to play together because you had no friends."

After he said that,Yebin sighed nodding her head saying "Aigooo. Oh my gosh. Just my luck. Why are you back?"

Yebin remembered that annoying kid she was forced to have play dates. Her parents was worried that she wasnt interacting with anyone so they asked the neighbor to play with her.

However all he did was mess around with her and play pranks. Therefore Yebin hated him. She thought he was bullying her. She just continued playing with him to make her parents happy and not worry them. She wanted to show them that she is capable of getting along with others.

However, because Ken was just a kid, he didnt know how to express his feeling. He actually had a crush on Yebin, and he thought that pranks was to show her that he was being playful and it was his way of flirting with her.

Too bad that Yebin does not like him. I wonder if he still has feelings for her.....