Ch 6 - You're WHAT?

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

Summer 2012

All around the table where the Running Men are gathered, jaws are hanging open with shock.

Gary is the first to pull himself together.

“You’re what? Say that again?”

“I’m getting married,” Haha replies, a wide smile threatening to crack his face in half.

It doesn’t sound any more sane the second time.

“What -- when -- how --,” Kwang Soo stutters.

“I think what Kwang Soo means,” Suk Jin supplies helpfully, “is ‘isn’t this sudden?’”

“I think what they both mean is CONGRATULATIONS, Haha!” Ji Hyo breaks in. “Tell us more.”

Haha’s glee can barely be contained. “It’s not sudden, really. Byul and I have been seeing each other for quite a while now.”

One man is conspicuously silent, looking down at his half-empty plate, normally healthy appetite all but vanished. He tries to swallow, but his throat is suddenly tight and dry. He wants to say something to his friend, offer congratulations and best wishes, but his tongue feels huge in his mouth, cutting off his air supply and ability to say anything at all.

“Byul! REALLY!” Gary is incredulous. “I don’t even believe you. That woman spent years refusing to give you the time of day.”

“It’s true!,” Haha rasps. “I’ve known Byul was the woman for me for a long time now, and even through all these years, I couldn’t give up. And finally, finally, she’s agreed to marry me. I can’t even believe it myself most days, considering how many times she’s shot me down in the past.”

“Uuuuwaaahh, Byul. Nicely done, hyung!” Kwang Soo finally has his mouth back under control. “I never thought you’d be the one I’d ask, but you’re going to have to teach me your ways.”

“Well, I had a little help,” Haha admits. “From Byul herself. She says she always knew we’d end up together.” His eyes flicker over Gary and Kwang Soo briefly, landing on Jong Kook before he quickly looks away. “And that let her be patient in waiting for me to grow up to be a man. I wish I knew what she knew when I was crying into my beer so many nights, but here we are now.”

Jong Kook stands up suddenly, drawing the attention of everyone at the table. He looks around, almost as if he’s just as startled at his action as they are. He slides his eyes over the table, grabbing his glass of water and lifting it in the air.

“To Haha and Byul,” he says, forcing a bright smile.

“Haha and Byul!,” everyone choruses in response, lifting their own glasses to the center of the table and then beginning to excitedly talk over one another, demanding more details from Haha about his secret love.

Jong Kook slips almost unnoticed out the side door of the restaurant, leaning his back against the wall in an alley lit only by one dim bulb. He takes a deep breath and then another, feeling choked and panicky. How? How? How is his dongsaeng getting married so suddenly? How has he kept this relationship hidden for so long? How is he… so happy?

Ji Hyo slips silently out the side door to join him, handing him a fresh bottle of water from which he gulps gratefully. She stands beside him in silence, waiting patiently.

The quiet stretches out for some time before he speaks.

“I can’t believe it. Wow. Good for Haha.”

“Really?,” Ji Hyo questions. “Is that your real reaction?”

“Of course I’m happy for my dongsaeng. I’m a little hurt that he kept all of it a secret, but of course I’m happy for him. Good for Haha,” he finishes, more firmly this time.

Ji Hyo still waits, no reply forthcoming.

“I just…,” Jong Kook eventually continues. “I just… why?,” he asks, almost plaintively. He hates the sound of his own voice, hates himself for not being able to be fully thrilled for his dear friend.

“Your turn will come,” Ji Hyo consoles. “It will. I mean, Haha is getting married. Of course your turn will come.”

“Will it? I used to think so, but now…”

“Gary told me about your birthday last year,” Ji Hyo offers tentatively.

Jong Kook takes another swig f

Please log in to read the full chapter