Ch 18 - Reversal

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

Ice cream goes much the same way as lunch did, but reversed. As Hannah enjoys a small cup of frozen yogurt, Jong Kook turns the questions on her. Determined to gain as much information as possible without prying, he employs her own method of combining an interested attitude with gentle encouragement to keep her talking. 

She eats slowly, giving them plenty of time. 

"I'm sorry if you have somewhere to be, you don't have to stay with me," she says as she swallows another small spoonful of her treat. "I'm sure I can find my way back."

"No, no," Jong Kook assures her. "Please, take your time. I'm in no hurry to be anywhere at all. Besides, you're clearly enjoying that yogurt and shouldn't be rushed." He smiles.

She grins back at him, a megawatt, face-splitting glow he's quickly becoming accustomed to basking in. "I am," she agrees. "I almost never have sweets, no problem resisting. I put on weight really easily." He starts to speak up to deny her claim, but she stops him, holding up a hand. "Don't try to deny it, you haven't even seen it!" She laughs. "I don't mind doing what needs to be done to stay in shape. Unless I'm stressed. All bets are off when I'm stressed." She takes another bite. "I'm allowing myself this one and that's it. We'll go to the gym soon, right? Because if not, it's going to be all downhill into a pile of potato chips and regrets."

"Sure. Sure, we will. You know, that's the most you've said about yourself since I met you."

"We talked all the way through lunch!"

"Yeah, about me! I didn't even know you liked potato chips. Let's hear some details. Let's start with your family," he says, echoing her own line from earlier.

"Hmm, my family." Hannah taps her spoon against her lips thoughtfully. "Well, I have one younger sibling and two younger half siblings."

"So you're the oldest. I'm not surprised."

"Is it that obvious? I am the oldest, that's right."

"What about your parents? What was growing up like for you?"

"Fun!"

"That's it? It was fun?"

"It was! That's the best way to sum it up. Growing up with my parents was fun. They were fun. I always felt like kind of an odd one growing up - I was always much more serious and focused and driven than they were. Just goofballs, the both of them."

"Goofballs?" Jong Kook laughs. It's already so opposite his own upbringing that it sounds like a fantasy world.

"Yes! Goofballs!" Hannah grins. "Funny. Fun. Carefree. Interesting. Silly. Very, very silly." She takes a spoon of her yogurt, looking down at the cup as she thinks about what to say next. "I've always been really studious, if you can't tell." She laughs lightly. "And on and off throughout growing up in my house, I'd think, 'Can't they just be serious? Can't they take anything seriously?' It was really frustrating."

Jong Kook nods but stays silent in hopes that she'll continue comfortably. She seems unfamiliar with talking about herself.

"But the older I got, the more I understood them." She swirls her spoon around the nearly empty cup. "I'd be stressing - really stressing, like full fat ice cream stressing - over an exam or a college application or something like that, you know? And -- Oh, you dropped this!" She leans over to pick up a couple of bills that had fluttered from a passing man's pocket. The man ignores her and Jong Kook reaches out to touch his elbow, pointing to Hannah and explaining in Korean. He thanks her and she turns her megawatt grin on him. Jong Kook shifts and turns his face away to hide what he is sure is a clear expression of sour jealousy. He wants to make her smile. He schools himself and turns back.

"You were saying?," he prods her when she remains silent.

"I was saying... oh. I'd be stressed out, studying or just freaking out, and they'd swoop in and we'd do something ridiculous. Like camp in our backyard in the middle of winter. Or go see how many movies we could see in the theater in a row in one day. They never stopped me for going for what I wanted, encouraged me even, constantly and always. But at the same time, even though I spent most of my early years assuming they were giant goofballs, they kept me from imploding in on myself. I was an intense kid."

"You don't seem to be nearly as uptight as you're painting yourself."

"No, I'm probably not as uptight as I was when I was like... nine." She laughs. "Sometimes I thought I was the grownup and they were the kids.  I wised up as the years went on. Don't get me wrong - I'm still very focused on this program. And I'm certainly not a goofball.

Jong Kook quickly pulls up a picture on his phone, the one she sent of her cheesy thumbs up pose, the one he's looked at 85 times a day since he got it.

"Not a goofball?"

She holds up her hands. "Okay. Guilty. A little bit of a goofball. But it's genetic, you understand. I would get so aggravated and roll my eyes and think, 'God, please, don't let me grow up to be like them,' but I did. And it was kind of deliberate. I'm just like my mother. Well... a lot like her, anyway."

She laughs under her breath.

"It's hard to see the forest for the trees when you're a kid. Everything annoying about growing up in my house, the things that made me the most nuts, that seemed stupid and ridiculous and pointless, it was all for my benefit. To help me grow up, not hinder me the way I thought when I was an arrogant pre-teen who knew everything about everything. They balanced me, carefully and deliberately. And I did grow up, and I'm doing well, and I'm doing this all by myself. I... geeze, what a tangent! Psychoanalysis done, right?"

Jong Kook does not want to be done, he wants her to keep talking and keep revealing herself. He's enjoying listening to her, she has a pleasant way of telling stories and her animated features are friendly, open, and appealing. He's eager, though, to start discovering all the little things that make them soul mates. He wants to know all of it. He wants to know why her string snapped across the room, directly to his, when the fortune teller broke it that night. So far, they have plenty in common, but he's still waiting for that spark, that flash of light that he's sure is coming, the moment the reason their strings pattern so intricately over each other becomes clear. However, Hannah is now looking around restlessly, seemingly ready to drop the topic of her upbringing entirely. He's reluctant to move on, but does.

"Right! Past is the past, you're here now. How did that happen? You mentioned something about how a lot of things happened to get you to this point."

They both stand and Hannah tosses her empty cup into the trash, staring after it forlornly for a moment.

"Oh. Well. Yes, a lot went on for me to get here." They head out the door of the ice cream shop and Hannah looks back and forth, trying to orient herself. 

"The apartment building is that way," Jong Kook points. "And the hospital is just slightly to the west of that." He looks up and down the nearly empty street. "Let me show you a way back through the park across the street. There's a path through the trees that is great for running outdoors, and the other side is just a block from your building."

She nods. "Lead the way, captain."

Once they're ambling comfortably along the thinly wooded trail, Jong Kook restarts the conversation.

"What kinds of changes?"

"Hm?"

He flinches internally at his awkward reintroduction of the topic, but presses on. "You said a lot went on to get you here."

"Ah. Yes. Well. It's not really 'first meeting,' kind of stuff."

"This is our second meeting. Did our time in the airport mean nothing to you?" He pretends to be wounded, clutching his chest. "What about our s

Please log in to read the full chapter