Ch 25 - Run for It

Breaking for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

Exiting the gym, Jong Kook takes Hannah's bag from her hands as they approach the car. He gains a couple of strides on her to pull open her door for her, then tosses both bags into the back seat before rounding the trunk to take his place in the driver's seat. As he fumbles to get the keys in the ignition, he takes a moment to look over at her. She's staring out the window, and her still-damp hair swings around her jawline as she turns to smile at him. She places her hand on his on the gear shift and smiles brightly at him.

"Thanks for taking me to your gym! I really like it a lot and I see why you do, too."

Jong Kook feels the same soft warmth spreading through his body that he's come to associate with being caught in the beaming glow of Hannah's smile. Freshly scrubbed, her cheeks are pink and her bare face is shining, making her look younger than her usual put together demeanor allows for.

"You're very welcome," he replies, shifting the car into reverse and resting his arm across the back of her seat as he looks over his shoulder to pull out of the parking lot. "I thought you'd like it. I'm a little disappointed, though," he says as he pulls out onto the road that runs in front of the gym.

"Oh?"

"You said you didn't need anyone to help you out at the gym because that's what you have me for, but you didn't seem to need any help at all." He puts on a fake, exaggerated pout.

Hannah laughs and rests her hand on his shoulder. "Oh, I'm sorry, did I make you feel neglected, Mr. Kim Jong Kook."

He shrugs and struggles to keep his pout going, focusing on the road.

"Next time. Next time I'll pretend to need you to help me out, okay?"

"Pretend? Hmph." Jong Kook huffs.

"I'm a pretty independent woman, truthfully, but I'm willing to fake it a bit to keep my only Korean friend happy."

"It's the least you could do, really," Jong Kook agrees, though he carefully turns over this bit of "independent woman" information over in his head throughout the rest of the drive to the grocery store they agreed upon.

As they stroll through the aisles of the grocery store, Jong Kook takes the time to point out a few items he thinks Hannah might like or want to try and also gives her tips and tricks on how to locate her favorite foods in their Korean packaging.

"Ah, thank you, you're very handy to have around! My Korean classes start this week on Wednesday and from what I understand, they're going to be pretty intensive so that we can get up to speed in the hospital as quickly as possible."

"You're going to do great, Korean's not actually that hard."

"Mr. Kim Jong Kook, you are lying to me."

"Yes, I am, but that doesn't mean I don't have total faith in your ability to be speaking like a five year old Korean child in no time." He grins at her as they stop in the meat section of the market.

"Haaaa haaa haaa. So." She claps her hands together. "Tell me what you'd like for lunch. Say chicken and mushrooms."

"Chicken and mushrooms?"

"Oh, good, I was hoping you'd say chicken and mushrooms, I'm good at that. I lied. I don't know how to cook."

"I kind of picked up on that from the green monster poison you fed me in the car this morning." He grimaces, remembering.

"It wasn't that bad," she admonishes. "And it was good for you. And so is chicken and mushrooms!" She grabs Jong Kook by the hand and pulls him over to the cold case of meat, then drags him enthusiastically up and down the rest of the aisles to collect ingredients for the one dish she knows how to prepare. He follows her indulgently, listening to her ramble on about how much he's going to enjoy her chicken and mushrooms and how he's going to be begging her to make it for him every week. His mind drifts as they make their way through the store, imagining meeting with Hannah every week, then several times a week, then every day. He feels a warm and comfortable feeling at the idea, content. 

The reality of Hannah seems to match up well to all the daydreaming he's been doing since they first met. She's pretty, that can't be denied. Looking at her is definitely far from unpleasant. They share interests, which Jong Kook appreciates. At least, they share interest in health and fitness, and as far as he's concerned, that's a lot, especially considering that women he's dated in the past have had a problem with his dedication to his physical upkeep. Not only is Hannah enthusiastic about working out, her medical background also seems to give her some good perspective on why he's so insistent on consistent, regular exercise. She obviously takes good care of herself, which Jong Kook also believes is important. She's clearly very smart, and he knows he's no slouch himself. Talking to her in pleasant, not a struggle. She's apparently very driven in her career, as he is with his own. At the moment, it's hard to imagine a more perfect match. On paper, it seems that everything he's learned so far lines up with everything he knows about himself perfectly.

At the checkout, Hannah insists on paying for their food, citing his help with her adjustment to Korea so far. He carries the bags to the car and places them in the backseat with their gym bags before joining Hannah in the front seat of the car. 

"This isn't the kind of car I imagined you'd drive, Mr. Kim Jong Kook."

"Oh?" He glances around the small sedan. "No? What kind of car did you think I'd drive?"

"I don't know, something fast and sporty and extra manly?"

He grins. "Interesting. This isn't my car, though. I borrowed it from my... roommate."

He heads toward Hannah's apartment.

"You have a roommate? A celebrity lives with a roommate?"

"Actually, I still live at home. That's pretty common in Korea, with real estate costing what it does. Most people move out when they get married."

"That's different. In the States, people try to move out as quickly as they can. Ah. I've been living away from home for quite a while, myself. So this is... you parents' car, then?"

"Haha, no. Recently, I've been staying with... a couple of friends. Just to be closer in to the city since my schedule has gotten so busy. My car is at home because my manager usually takes me to my scheduled events, so I don't really need it since all I've been doing lately is work. My roommate doesn't mind sharing the car if one of us needs it."

"Ah," Hannah nods. "I haven't really thought about a car myself. Like you, I'm probably going to be so busy between the hospital and classes that I won't have time to go much of anywhere else, so it seems pretty unnecessary."

"Probably," Jong Kook agrees. "Plus parking in your neighborhood doesn't look too promising. It would likely be more hassle than it would be worth. Plus, the cost. I don't imagine being a student pays so much."

"Mmm," Hannah responds noncommittally, looking out the window as they pass through her new neighborhood. "I'm all right for money."

Jong Kook nods, not pursuing the subject, because how much money Hannah makes doesn't really matter. He's been saving his own salaries for years in order to provide for his future family, and Hannah's work and paycheck would be superfluous or even completely unnecessary. 

He spies a parking spot on the street directly in front of Hannah's building and neatly parallel parks Charity's small Sonata at the curb.

"Nicely done, Mr. Kim Jong Kook!" Hannah gives him a small round of applause. "It's honestly a relief that I don't have a car, because I'm a terrible driver and can't parallel park to save my life. I'm always impressed when I see someone do it." She flashes her megawatt grin at him and holds a hand up for a high five. He grins back and slaps his hand to hers, enjoying the praise, however simple it is.

Hannah grabs her gym bag from the back of the car and Jong Kook grabs the groceries. They trudge up the three flights of stairs toward Hannah's apartment, bodies tired from the long workout. Hannah beeps them into the apartment and holds the door for him to pass through. Kicking off their shoes, Jong Kook places the bags in the small kitchen while Hannah tosses her gym bag into her bedroom, then trots down the short hall. She knocks on a door at the end of the corridor and after a moment, pokes her head in the door, and Jong Kook can hear a murmured conversation. She rejoins him quickly, though, smiling brightly and moving to unload the bags onto the counter.

"Are you hungry?," she asks.

"Yes," Jong Kook replies. "What can I do to help you?"

"Hmm..." Hannah surveys the groceries on the counter. "Can you wash and slice the mushrooms? I think I can manage everything else pretty quickly."

"Sure can," he says, swiping the mushrooms up from the counter and accepting a colander Hannah hands to him. He turns his back to her and turns on the water, setting to work on washing the mushrooms in such a way that they'll be the cleanest mushrooms Hannah's ever seen. She'll be totally impressed. She'll compliment his mushrooms. She'll fall madly in love with him based on his mushroom-cleaning prowess. He's totally absorbed in his task and daydreaming when he feels the front of Hannah's body warming the back of his own and freezes. Something drops around his neck and Hannah laughs. 

"Wouldn't want you to get wet and dirty," she says, tying an apron snugly around his waist. She pats him on the back and says, "Do a little twirl!"

Jong Kook obliges, looking down at the green, polka-dotted, ruffled apron flaring out around his waist as he does so. Hannah doubles over in laughter and he grins at her. 

"Thanks for the consideration," he says, turning back to his mushroom task.

"No problem!," she chirps back, and sets about preparing the chicken.

After a moment of quiet work, Jong Kook asks, "So... will Daniel be joining us?"

"Nope," Hannah replies. "I told him I have a friend over for lunch, just so he wasn

Please log in to read the full chapter