Box

I Should've Kissed You

When I went inside the house, I saw the big box near my bed. I opened it and looked at the things inside. I took out a wool scarf and stared at it. Right, I bought this when I was walking down a street in Taipei.

A year ago

After that day, I decided to buy a plane ticket going to Taiwan. I just needed to be far from here. I told my mom I'd be leaving without clearly explaining why.

"Mom, I just need to get out of here."

"But why? What happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it anymore."

"So where are you going?"

"Sigh... to Taiwan... but please don't tell anyone."

"Honey, I can't undertand why you have to do this."

Me too mom...."

"Amber, will you be okay?" I gave out a faint smile while nodding.

"Of course mom. I love you."

"I love you too sweetie." I hailed a cab going to the airport. I sent Key a message telling him what I'm doing which made him call me.

"Amber? Where are you going?"

"I can't tell you buddy... But please, can you take care of her for me?"

"Dude, what's goiing on?"

"Please? Promise me you'll look after her..."

"Okay okay..."

"Thanks."

I entered the airport and waited for my departure. I took out my phone and looked at my wallpaper, your photo. I looked at your face the whole time I was seated there. "I guess things really needed to end this way... Sigh... but thank you, for filling 12 years of my life with happiness, Krystal Jung." Boarding time finally came and I stepped in the plane with a heavy heart. I took the window seat, looking at Seoul for the last time. One last look at the place I met you.

"Going home or leaving home?" I heard someone say. I turned to my left and saw a girl sitting next to me.

"Huh?"

"Well... with the expression you're having, I'm guessing you're not happy that you're leaving." she said.

"Ah... yeah... but I need to..."

"Why?"

"Because... I kissed my bestfriend... who is in love with someone else..."

"Oh... serious stuff." said the girl. "I'm Yuri by the way." she said while extending her hand.

"I'm Amber." I said taking her hand and shook it.. "How about you, why are you leaving?"

"Hmm... well... I just learned that my boyfriend cheated on me. Grrr.. that bas~ Sigh... just forget it."

"I'm sorry hear that..."

"Hey.. it's okay... He's not worth feeling bad for... and I think this is also a good time for me to have a vacation." she said with a smile.

"So... you don't feel sad about that?"

"I do... but... I realized that it's his loss, not mine. I've been a good girlfriend to him... it's hard to find someone like me nowadays, right?"

"Yeah yeah... well... then it's good that you're happy."

"So how about you? What are you planning to do?"

"I don't know... hmm... just enjoy my time there..."

"Until when will you stay there?"

"Actually, I don't know... maybe until I'm okay."

"Hmm... what about we go together?"

"What? I mean... Really?"

"Yeah... I know all the good places there."

"Wouldn't it be a hassle for you?"

"Do you want me to hit you?"

"N-no..."

"Haha! I'm just joking... yeah it will be fine... unless you wanna travel alone.."

"Haha! That would be sad to be honest..."

"Then travel buddies?"

"Travel buddies."

When we arrived in Taipei, we hailed a cab going to a hotel... it wasn't the expensive one but it's still nice. After checking in our rooms, Yuri and I decided to walk around outside. 

"So... what can you say about the city?" asked Yuri while fixing her beannie. Yuri.. she is very friendly... even though it was our first time meeting each other, I already felt comfortable with her.

"It's really nice... but... I'm feeling hungry now... do you know a good restaurant here?"

"I know a good one, but it's not a restaurant..."

"Huh?"

"C'mon... she dragged me somewhere... then after a long walk, we finally arrived.

"Tadaaa! The night market!" said Yuri with her hands up that made me chuckle. This place is just incredible because it has everything. We had some seafood noodles and grilled meat for dinner and walked through the stores after. We passed by a clothing store and Yuri tried some clothes on. As I was looking around, I saw this particular scarf which reminded me of you. I know how fond you are of scarfs that you have a huge collection of them.

"Are you getting that?" asked Yuri.

"Yeah... I'll take it.

When we got tired, we went back to the hotel and took a rest. It's my first day in a new country but I don't feel complete because my heart is still with you. Sigh..

Everyday, Yuri and I spend the whole day together. We would visit temples, famous restaurants and museums and would take a photo in each of them. I would also buy an item from those places. After three months, Yuri and I decided to get a part time job in a cafe near our hotel.

"Amber, don't you think it's better for us to have a part time job?"

"What for?"

"Because we've been spending much money paying the hotel and I think it would be better if we would just rent a house?"

"What? You mean, you and I will live in the same house?"

"Yeah... Why? Don't tell me you still feel uncomfortable with me?" said Yuri joking as she threw a piece of ice at me.

"Hahaha! Of course not."

So for the next months, Yuri and I rented a small house a few blocks away from the cafe and living with her was easy because she is like me. She cleans but not often, actually she hates it, but the good thing is she knows how to cook. We indeed became good friends and I'm so thankful I met her. Sometimes when I look at her, I was wondering if I would fall in love with her. Then one time, she caught me staring at her.

"Yah... just take a picture."

"W-what?"

"Because you're staring at me for a few minutes now, so why don't you just take a picture?"

"Hey... I wasn't staring at you... I just spaced out." I said defending myself.

"Yeah right..."

"And besides, we have a lot of pictures here in my phone... no need to take another one." At that moment, I realized that it is impossible for me to fall in love with her and I felt relieved, because it means I can keep our friendship forever. One Saturday, we had our day off and both of us were pretty bored.

"Yul, can we go somewhere? I'm so bored and I'm not used to doing nothing."

"Yeah... me too... Hey... I heard there will be a concert in the other town, wanna watch it?"

"Alright!"

After the concert, we stopped by a souvenir shop and took a look inside. I saw a very nice necklace with a pebble pendant. I bought two and took a picture of them. Everytime I come home from another place, I would always put the things that I bought in a box.

"What is that box for? What are those for?" asked Yuri.

"For someone back home..."

"For your bestfriend?" 

"Sigh... yes... for her..."

"You still love her, don't you? That's alright, I sometimes think about that cheater too..." she said sadly. "You know, Taeyang wasn't really a bad guy..."

"Yul..."

"I know... but I just miss him... I loved him very much... he was my first boyfriend."

"We really are the same, Krystal was my first love too."

"That's why we get along well, right?" Yuri said while putting her arm on my shoulder."

"So.. don't you want to go back to Korea yet?"

"Hmm... maybe a few months more. How about you?"

"We'll go home together." I smiled.

I occassionally call Key to ask about you. I miss you, just so you know.

"She's okay... but... she doesn't go out much."

"What  do you mean?"

"She just goes to work, then home."

"What about Minho?"

"Hmm... I think they broke up."

"Really?"

"Yeah..."

"That ..."

"So... can you please come home now dude? She misses you..."

"Did she say that?"

"No... but I think no one needs to be smart to know that."

"I'll see..."

"By the way, who are you with?"

"Oh.. I'm with my friend."

"Ah... can you just send me a photo? I want to see how you look now."

"Alright... alright.. I'll send it later."

I was too lazy to take a photo of myself so I just sent photo of me with Yuri at the background. I woke up one morning and we both realized that it has already been a year.

"Am, I think we've been away from Korea for a long time now..."

"Yeah... I miss eating ddukbokki..."

"And bulgogi!"

"Bingsoo!"

"Ahh bingsoo! Let's go home!" said Yuri.

"Yeah... it's time to go home." Two days later, we took a flight back to Korea. It feels good to be back. I immediately called Key and all our friends came to my house to see me. I didn't call you, I don't know how to face you yet.. I'm not sure if you wanted to see me, or if you're still mad at me... I'm really clueless... So when you came here a while ago, I was really surprised to see you... and it feels awkward. I'm still staring at this scarf... I took a glance at the box... all the things that I bought for you are still here with me... should I give it to you? And if I will, would you accept them?

 

 

Author's note: Hello... since a lot of you wanted a sequel of this, I decided to write in Amber's POV. I hope you like it <3