Close to the surface

Broken

“So how is our guest doing?” Eunhyuk asked. It was just after noon the day of the full moon. It was a rare moment but everyone was home and gathered in the living room. Eunhyuk’s question was met with silence. “No one knows?” he quirked a brow.

“She was still asleep when I checked on her this morning” Chanyeol shrugged.

Jia shoved his shoulder “She’s your friend why haven’t you checked on her more?”

 “If she can, she’ll sleep through her pain. I don’t want to bother her. I know she’s here, so she’s safe. There are other people in this house” he ticked the reasons off on his fingers.

“Are you guys talking about me?” They all turned to see Gage in the doorway with a hand over her eyes. Zhou Mi moved from his place to stand in front of her. Gently he removed her hand from her eyes which she immediately shut tight. Zhou Mi chuckled slightly before he glanced around the room “Zico?” The fire user took a pair of sunglasses off his head and handed them to Zhou Mi; who slipped them on Gage’s face. She opened her eyes but immediately shuttered them. The shades help some but not completely and everyone could see the purple glow of her eyes through them.

“Aside from the apparent light sensitivity, how are you?”

She made her way over to one of the couches and squeezed between Minhyuk and Chanyeol, taking hold of their hands. “My head feels like it’s going to explode” she answered before laying her forehead on Minhyuk’s shoulder. She couldn’t help the little sight that escaped at the bit of relief she received.

“You haven’t called your brothers have you?” he whispered.

She shook her head “I wanted to talk to Lay first.”

Chanyeol squeezed her hand “How are you even conscious?”

“Trust me. I’d much rather be sleeping right now.”

“What did you need?” Lay spoke up bringing her comment back around. She lifted her head to look at him “Do you have a lab here?” He nodded. “Would it be alright if I used it? I need to mix up something for tomorrow.”

“Sure, if you don’t mind telling me about what you’re making.”

Gage shrugged “You should probably know about it anyways.” She stood and followed him to the lab.

“Is no one going to say anything about her glowing eyes?” Eli commented. Jia kicked him. “Her eyes didn’t do that last month” Chanyeol supplied. “Yeah cause that helped” Eli muttered and Jia kicked him again roller her eyes.

“Her wolf is showing.”

“Is that a good thing?”

“Yes and no” Eunhyuk answered.

“Her brothers haven’t taken the time to work with her on training or anything yet aside from meditation. They’ve been working on their family bond” Chanyeol filled them in.

“Meditation and being with her pack seem to have woken her wolf.” Eunhyuk nodded agreeing with Zhou Mi’s observation. “We could help them train her… but she won’t be able to fully shift. She might not be able to shift at all until she’s fixed.”

“Gage!” Jia gasped making the girl turn back from her way back to the guest room. Everyone was shocked at what they saw. “The two of you, out!” Zhou Mi stood ushering the other two vamps outside.

Chanyeol was immediately at her side “You’re bleeding.”

Gage wiped her face with the back of her hand “Huh would you look at that. I should go back to bed.” Her legs gave when she made a move to turn. Chanyeol caught her, breaking her fall.

“Her wolf’s been at the surface for too long.”

 “You’re an Alpha, Can’t you-” Eunhyuk raised a hand silencing Chanyeol “Bring her to her room, and I’ll be there in a minute.” He turned to Minhyuk and Zico “One of you find Lay and the other call her brothers. Please.”

 They both nodded, Zico pulled his phone out while Minhyuk ran to the lab. Chanyeol laid her on the bed. Eunhyuk entered seconds later. Sitting next to her he placed his hands on either side of her head, and leaned forward so that his forehead was touching hers. He let out a low growl before he let go, and leaned back, his own eyes glowing. He moved off the bed so Lay could check her vitals. Zico handed him the phone. “Let Zhou Mi know they can come back” he said before putting the phone to his ear.

“How is she?”

 “Woohyun, put Sunggyu on.”

“He’s a little busy dealing with Myungsoo at the moment.”

“Then put-”

“Dongwoo is helping.”

Eunhyuk closed his eyes, reigning in his frustration “She’s stable and asleep. I got her wolf to sleep as well, though not being her Alpha I’m not sure how long it will stay asleep.”

“I’ll pass that on, thanks. Can you see to it that she calls when she wakes up?”

“Will do” He ended the call handing the phone back to Zico “It’s an odd day when Myungsoo is the one to flip out” Eunhyuk scrubbed a hand over his face. “He’s usually the calmest” Lay agreed. “For her sake, I hope she sleeps through the rest of today.” And sleep she did.

She woke up the next morning to a quiet house, though that was expected after the full moon. Gage changed out of her clothes from the day before into a tank top and a pair of pj pants borrowed from Jia. She made her way down to Lay’s lab to find the syringe she prepared the day before. Once that was taken care of she continued on to the kitchen to make herself a cup of coffee.

She noticed that there was something written on her arm as she reached for a mug. ‘Call your brothers’ it read. Gage returned to her room to retrieve her phone while the coffee brewed. Phone in hand she fixed her coffee before heading to the roof, sitting down she took a sip of her coffee before blindly dialing one of her brothers’ numbers.

“Hello…” a groggy voice answered after a few rings.

“Haya”

“…Gage.”

She couldn’t help but giggle, a small grin forming on her lips. “I’m sorry it’s early.” She could hear him moving around “Don’t worry about it. I’m gonna go find Myungsoo” Hoya sounded more awake with every word. “How are you feeling this morning?”

“100% compared to yesterday. I thought my head was going to explode.”

“Yeah, Hyuk managed to get your wolf to sleep. We definitely need to start working on stuff when you get back.” There was a pause as Hoya tried waking Myungsoo “Say something” he told Gage.

“Wake up, Soo.”

There was a flurry of movement “Gage! Are you alright?” She picked up a rock and started drawing on the roof “I’m fine now.” Myungsoo calmed down at his twin’s voice “They wouldn’t let me go last night” his voice was tired. “I know, I should’ve called yesterday” she dropped the rock and pulled her legs up resting her chin on her knees.

“It might’ve helped if you did.”

“I know.”

“When are you coming home?”

Gage took a sip of her coffee “I don’t know.”

“I’ll ask Sunggyu, alright?”

 “Kay”

Myungsoo chuckled softly “There’s someone waiting to talk to you. Be sure to call later.”

“Will do” Gage set the phone down and there was a hand on her shoulder. “Where are you hurt?”

She threw a slightly confused look at Minhyuk as he knelt next to her “I’m not hurt anywhere” she said slowly.

“Yes you are” he concentrated a bit “May I?” She nodded not quite sure what he was talking about. His hand slid off her shoulder and down her back. It slid under the hem of her tank top before it came to rest, fingers splayed across her belly. Gage stayed still and Minhyuk’s fingers moved until one came to a stop right on the injection sit. “Here” he breathed against her neck. She took hold of his wrist “You must be really sensitive. I’m not injured or hurt. It’s from insulin like shot that I have to take after every full moon.”

“Is that what you needed the lab for yesterday?” Gage nodded and relaxed against him as he drew slow circles on her skin with his thumb. “It helps me recover faster after the full moon.”

He studied her rock sketch “Is that a moon flower?”

“Is that what it is?”

He peered at her face “You drew it without knowing what it was?”

“Mhmm. I keep seeing it-”

“What?”

Gage shook her head “I promised Woohyun, I would tell him first.”

“Okay. Will you tell me once he knows?”

“Sure”

“Well aren’t you two cozy” Chanyeol pounced on them, knocking them over. “Aren’t you usually still asleep?” Minhyuk raised an eyebrow; Chanyeol rolled his eyes “You’re supposed to come back inside.”

--

“I’m going home today?” Gage repeated, eyes shooting up from starring at the floor to focus on Zhou Mi’s face. Jia rolled her eyes “Was it really necessary to wake everyone up for this?”

Zhou Mi frowned slightly at that “I thought you might’ve wanted to say goodbye.”

“We don’t mind, Mi” Zico nudged Jia. “But it’s not like we’re never going to see her again.”

“They’re right” Gage shrugged agreeing with the other two.

“It’s dangerous” Zhou mi reminded them.

“No, it’s stupid” Gage said, pushing away from the wall, she had been leaning on. “Think about it. The way this city is set up makes no sense.”

“It works” Gage stared at Eunhyuk like she couldn’t believe he was the one who just said that. “It really doesn’t. Yeol, can I borrow some clothes?” A low growl sounded from Minhyuk surprising everyone, himself included. Jia smirked “Come on you can borrow something from me.”

“I was kind of hoping for guy clothes.”

“Not a problem.”

“Dude!” Eli, Chanyeol and Zico tackled Minhyuk, teasing him as soon as the girls were out of the room. Gage’s eyes had flashed when Minhyuk growled, Zhou Mi, Lay and Eunhyuk didn’t miss that.