Job and My Kind

The Maze Runner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nana's POV

 

I heard shuffles from my left. Then I heard footsteps.

 

I opened my eyes and saw that Newt was just a couple of feet away from his hammock, "Newt?"

 

He startled and look at me. But his facial expression changed to a more relaxed face, "heya! Awake already eh?" "Yeah... what are you doing this early?" "Accompanying the runners..." "runners?"

 

Instead of answering, he held his hands out. So I quickly put my shoes on and took his hand as we both walk out of the homestead.

 

We walk to the kitchen and I sat on the counter while Newt was stuffing food into 2 lunch boxes.

 

"What are those for? Or who perhaps..." I asked. He looked at me, "for the runners-Thomas and Minho that is. They are going inside the maze to look for a way out."

 

"Can I come?" I asked.. dumbly if I may add.

 

He put a smirk on and ruffled my hair, "yeah kid, if you can survive the sudden grievers attack there..." he joked. I pouted and crossed my arms.

 

He chuckled and pulled me down on my feet, "come on kiddo, take the other lunch box and give it to Minho... after that, I'm going to show you something"

 

I just obeyed him and do what he had said.

 

After we packed their lunch, we went to this little shack in the forest and went inside.

 

We both saw that both Minho and Thomas were packing their backpacks. Minho realized that we both were standing there, "oy, why'd you bring the greenie here?" He asked.

 

Newt just chuckled, "come on dude, it's okay she's with me! Besides, soon she'll be in the Korean colony right~?" Minho just groaned.

 

Both me and Newt handed the lunch boxes. Newt handed his to Minho while I handed mine to Thomas, "how's your sleep eh greenie? Shuckin nice?" Thomas asked. I put a small smile on, "it was okay"

 

The 4 of us walked out and to the closed gate of the maze, "why isn't it opening?" I asked. Thomas chuckled, "it will soon"

 

Newt was talking with Minho about sections or something? I puffed my cheeks.

 

A loud gurgling sound was heard from the maze. I startled and jump which made Thomas laughed. I glared at him, "sorry! But it was just too funny!" He said while ruffling my hair.

 

"Oy Thomas! Come on!" Minho yelled. "See ya shank" Thomas ruffled my hair then run towards Minho and soon they both vanished from our sight into the maze.

 

"Come on, I need to show you something" Newt said as he walk in front of me. I followed him and we reached upon a wall that has names on it... some has been somewhat scratched.

 

"Alby... Newt... Chuck... Sungmin... Minho... Frypan... what is this?" I asked. "This, is our name wall... we carved our name here and we scratch those who has passed..." he said.

 

I looked at him and he looked sad as he looked down to the ground with his fists tightly balled. I reached for his hand and took it in mine, he returned my favor with a smile, "go carve yours" he said while handing me a knife.

 

I took the knife and began carving my name, right bellow his name. I looked at him with a grin which he replied with a smirk, "race ya to the lookout tree" he said. "Wait, what?" "GO!!" he suddenly sprinted as I regain my concentration back and ran to catch him, "NEWT YOU SLY DOG!! YOU CHEATED!!" I screamed.

 

But he just laughed and ran to the flight of stairs of the tree and reached the top first.

 

 I followed behind him as quick as I can. As we reached the top, we could see that Gladers were already woken up, some had showers already and started doing their duties and some were just about to shower.

 

"Nana, look around... see which job caught your attention or which place caught your attention" Newt said. I looked and saw that there were med-jacks that were walking to the council hall where they worked.

 

And then the fields where Gladers grow crops and harvest them for the supplies in the food shack.

 

The slicers caught my attention as they stayed on the pig and cow and also chicken's pen while feeding them while some sliced some animals for the food stock.

 

Then the food shack where Frypan is busying himself and his boys on cooking for the Gladers. It was interesting on how the boys cook.

 

"Food shack" I answered. He grinned while patting my head, "well... let's see if Frypan is willing to get you into his kitchen"

 

We both went to the bathroom and took a shower (not together of course) then we headed to the food shack to get our food... and to go to Frypan to tell him about my interest in cooking.

 

The line wasn't long since everyone already got their food before us. Frypan helped scooping food on our plates, "what's up man?" Newt started. Frypan shrugged, "not much, 'sup with you? Why'd ya suddenly asking me about what is up and not down?" He said.

 

Newt chuckled, "naah just telling ya that... y'got a new recruit!" It took Frypan several minutes to digest, "whoa! This shank?? Does she even cook??" He asked.

 

Newt shrugged while smirking, "one way to find out eh?" At first, Frypan sighed, but then he looked at me, "after you're done, come meet me in the kitchen... I'm gonna test you"

 

I grinned and nod at his words. I brought my plate with me and sat on a log with Newt next to me. "So..." I started, "what is this Korean colony that you speak of?" I asked. 

 

Newt swallowed his food before pointing at a group of boys-squinty eyed boys if I may add, "those are the Korean colony, they are a little bit secretive to the others but open to their own kind..." "then, why should I be in there?" "It's where you belong, those guys looks just like you and we made a deal with them if another greenie popped up and has their features, that greenie will be handed to them" he explained.

 

 I huffed a puff of air before continuing to eat.

 

After we finished, we went to the kitchen like what Frypan had told us to do. Once in sight, Frypan saw us, "great, now that you're here, we can test you. Newt, leave her to me, you can go to your field"

 

Newt turned to me and pat my head, "if anything goes wrong, just come to me to the field okay?" I gave him a smile and a nod before he dashed away to the field

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter