The First Meeting

Whispering Love

  As Chanyeol dragged her towards his friends, Minae kept an impassive face, showing no emotions. She was wary around people, especially boys. She had thought of them as dishonest and uncaring beings. You could never be sure what they are thinking. Except for Chanyeol, Minae had never interacted closely with other boys her age.
  The two halted in front of Chanyeol's friends — five boys sitting on the floor, staring curiously at them. They seemed to only be curious, with no ill meanings behind their stare but Minae could not be sure. People like them were unpredictable. 
  Chanyeol flopped onto the floor, pulling Minae down with him as well. Minae collapsed onto the floor awkwardly next to him before shifting to a more polite and rigid position. 
  "Who's that girl?" A boy with a small frame and a mischievous smile asked. 

  Baekhyun, Minae thought. Despite not being unsociable, she knew all of their names. She was quiet and inconspicuous, like a shadow, constantly observing. 
  "She's Minae, my childhood friend," Chanyeol announced in a loud voice, smiling proudly. Minae managed a polite smile. Be careful not to show too much emotion, she reminded herself, she just allowed herself a smile or a tiny nod, nothing more. 
  Chanyeol introduced his friends to her. Suho, Baekhyun, Sehun, Kyungsoo and Kai. All of them greeted her enthusiastically, except for the last one — Kai. He simply glanced at her, inclining his head to acknowledge her. He's somehow different. Cold, maybe, Minae thought, like me.
  Kai lay sprawled on the floor, propping her head up with his hands. He stared uninterestedly at the new girl who just sat down. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail, her features delicate and balanced, though she was not very beautiful. Some might call her pretty, if they looked closely enough. Minae was not the sort to stand out, she could easily blend in with the crowds. She hated attention. They bring trouble. Always.
  Kai sighed inwardly. Another one. Kai had enough of girls. Everywhere he went, they followed him. It was not that he disliked them, well, he disliked most of them. The arrogant ones were the worst. He needed a break from them, but what could he do? Anyway, he was not the type to run away from problems. 
  He looked closer at the new girl. Minae, he arched an eyebrow, had I seen her before?  Minae's eyes had a coldness behind it, her smile not reaching to her eyes. She seemed strong, unlike the rest of the girls he had seen. But, he thought, you cannot be sure about these things.
  Minae stared uncomfortably at the gang, they were shooting questions away at her like a rocket. She had not been under so much attention before. Under these circumstances, Minae did not know what to do other than replying with a curt answer. She looked helplessly at Chanyeol, poking him secretly.
  Chanyeol sighed and said, "Enough with the questions, you guys are annoying her." His friends scowled at him but kept quiet.
  "Hey, what are they doing?" Sehun asked, nodding his head in the direction of the TV. A crowd was crowding in front of it, cheering and shouting. The gang got up and approached the crowd, with Minae trailing uncertainly behind. Ah, a dance battle, Minae realized. Two boys were swaying  their body with the beat of the music.  They ended with a powerful jump, admist all the clapping and cheering. 
  A new round was being called upon, with everyone looking around for suitable candidates, or anyone who was brave enough to come up. Chanyeol nudged Minae, smiling knowingly. Minae furrowed her brows and shook her head. 
  Minae had learnt dancing since she was a small child. She was passionate about dancing and always refered dancing as the motivation for living. Not that she would tell anyone though — she did not want them to judge her. 
  Chanyeol sighed for the umpteenth time at her response and pushed her forward. Minae gasped when she felt a force behind her, pushing her in front. The crowd went silent for a moment. Who was this girl? Nevertheless, they erupted into cheers and clapping. Minae widened her eyes. This was like a nightmare. She scanned the faces of the crowd — some shining with excitement, while some were filled with doubt. Minae gulped, her body was tingling with apprehension and nervousness. Another boy was pushed through the crowd to the front as well. Kai, Minae recognized him. 
  Kai had an indifferent expression on his face. He glanced at Minae, tilting his head. Wasn't she the new girl, what was she doing here? The music then started. After throwing one last skeptical glance at Minae, he focused back on the music. This is going to be interesting.
  Minae took a shaky breath. Concentrate, Minae, don't embarrass yourself. She raised her hand and brought it down with a powerful , signaling the start of the dance. Her first few movement were tense, her body still uncomfortable. Soon, dancing took over her. Her mind cleared, leaving nothing except for the music, adrenaline rushing through her. Minae smiled. She had never felt so free in a long time. There was no one there except for her. No crowd, no cheering, just her and Kai dancing. Her movements were powerful yet graceful at the same time, her body moving like water, fluid and smooth.
  In the middle of the dance, Kai looked at Minae. He widened his eyes. Minae had a contented smile on her face, a true smile, her eyes fixed in front of her. Minae seemed to notice his gaze, turned her head and flashed him a grin. Shocked, Kai just stared back. He could sense her love and joy for dancing radiating through that smile. However, soon, he returned the smile and continued dancing, this time with renewed power and energy. 
  The crowd had hushed, the sight in front of them was amazing. The two moved simultaneously, their movements synchronized. When the music ended, everyone cheered, rushing forward to pat the both of them of the back and shouting compliments. All except for Chanyeol. Chanyeol stared at Kai and Minae, feeling a mix of emotions. He had caught the smile that the two shared during the dance. That smile.. It contained a lot of feelings, it was special and rare. What did that smile mean? Chanyeol frowned, annoyed. Does Minae like Kai? 
  Chanyeol waved that question away. Of course not, he was Minae's childhood friend, while Kai had only met her for one day. Still, that smile still bothered him. As he looked at Kai and Minae smiling and laughing among the crowd, her felt a pang of jealousy. Without a moment of hesitation, he strode forward and pushed through the crowd. It was not a tough task, since he had such a tall build. He grabbed Minae's hand and pulled her away, towards the door with an angry face. 
  Kai was opening his mouth, trying to talk to Minae, to learn more about her when Chanyeol came barging in, pulling Minae away. Minae staggered backwards due to his force, a shocked expression replacing the exhilarated one that was on her face earlier. Kai was surprised as well. He had never seen Chanyeol so annoyed before. He reached out, wanting to stop Minae but thought better of it. Chanyeol must have a good reason for bringing her away like this. Still, Kai had a nagging feeling in his heart. He stared at Minae's retreating back. Who is this girl, really? 
  Minae shrugged Chanyeol's hand off when they exited the house. "What are you doing?" She asked angrily, staring at Chanyeol. Her voice softened when she saw the hurt expression on his face. "Is something wrong?" Minae asked, placing her arm gently on his shoulder.
  "Just now... You.... Him...." Chanyeol spluttered in an accusing voice, glaring at her.  Minae waited patiently, gazing up at him. Chanyeol looked down at her, at her worried expression and let out a frustrated sigh, raising his hand and slapping himself on the forehead.
  "Nevermind, let's go home. I bet you are tired." Chanyeol grumbled and stalked away, sulking. Minae followed after him and stared at his slouching figure, puzzled. What's wrong with him?  Minae thought, shaking her head and quickened her speed to catch up with him. Ah, my weird Chanyeol.