The First Step

Whispering Love

 

  Minae was sick of the weather. When she went down to the convenience store to buy some drinks, it was still sunny, she even wondered why the temperature was so high when it was already autumn. Next, thunderclouds filled the sky and big fat raindrops fell. Minae sighed and looked up. A particularly fat raindrop greeted her. Annoyed, she wiped her eyes with an arm. Stupid Chanyeol, she thought, gritting her teeth. If he had not been thirsty, she would not have came down all the way to buy some stupid drinks for him. Minae narrowed her eyes and dashed headfirst into the rain. The rain pelted mercilessly on her back as she splashed through the puddles collected at the side of the road. Luckily, it was a short run - her clothes were wet, but not drenched.   


   Fishing her keys out from her pockets, Minae yelled, "I'm home!" She stepped into the apartment. The apartment was small, yet neat and tidy, at least until Chanyeol decided to pop in for a visit. The coffee table was full of magazines, stacked untidily at a corner, while the takeaway boxes were left forgotten on the other corner of the table. Chanyeol was lying on the sofa, leg propped up while flipping through a magazine. Minae glared at him and tossed the drink to him. Chanyeol shot out a hand and grabbed it, flashing a triumphant smile at her. 

  "Thanks!" Chanyeol said in his deep voice, smiling impishly at her. Minae frowned, walking towards the bathroom for a change of clothes. She sighed, she could never hold a grudge against Chanyeol. They had been close friends since kindergarten and were like inseparable siblings. She loved him as a friend and she knew that Chanyeol loved her as well. BUT, that did not mean that he could laze around and treat her as a servant the whole day. He's going to get it, Minae thought. Definitely. Well, after she change her clothes. 

  Minae stomped out of the bathroom and yelled, "Park Chan—".

  "Hey, Minae, are you going to the class party? Everyone's going." Chanyeol interrupted, casting a curious glance at her. That question threw her off. A class party? 
 

"Pfffttt. You know I never go to events like that," Minae scoffed, "and I do not intend to break my record."
 

Chanyeol sprang up and frowned at me. "Minae, we had just finished term tests! Isn't it a great time to relax and destress?"
  Minae blew a raspberry. "Relaxing? Destressing? They are just excuses. Anyway, we still have the end of year examinations coming up. This is not the time for us to slack, you know." Minae said, raising an eyebrow. 
 

Chanyeol slumped back, exasperated. "I know you don't like to interact with people but can't you just go as a favour to me? I really need a date!" He begged, clutching my arm and shaking it.

  "Ah, how can I ever refuse my best friend?" Minae sighed. "No."

  "Come on! Okay, if you go, I will buy you lunch for a week. A whole week. Whatever you want. I will even clean your bedroom for you!" Chanyeol suggested on impulse.

  Minae paused. Free meals for a whole week? That sounded great. And to have her bedroom cleaned? Chanyeol must really have hoped that she would go. Either that, or he had a death wish.Her bedroom was like hell. One wrong step and you might get buried under an avalanche of clothes. That, was totally not a lie. Just ask Chanyeol. He had never left her bedroom unscathed. She looked at Chanyeol at the corners of her eyes. Chanyeol smiled brightly at her, eyes widening. 
 

  "Fine. You promised." Minae suddenly smiled. With a nonchalant shrug and hiding a grin, she rushed to the kitchen for a pack of potato chips before Chanyeol could figure out what he had just promised and go back on his words.
 

 Chanyeol looked at her back, flabbergasted. What had he just promised? After the latest venture into her room, he had swore, for the sake his life, that he would not go back there again. What had he done? 

  The following week, on the day of the class party, Minae heard the doorbell ring. Reluctantly, she got up her sofa and opened the door. 

  "Chanyeol?" She asked, shocked. Chanyeol was wearing a fashionable pair of jeans and a tucked out dress shirt. That wasn't like him, he usaully just throw on some old t-shirts and a pair of shorts. Was today a special day? Minae thought, confused.

  "You are still not ready?" Chanyeol exclaimed, stepping into the house.

  "For what?" Minae asked, frowning. 

   Chanyeol said through gritted teeth, "The class party!" Minae gasped, cupping her hands around . She had totally forgotten about it. Flustered, she grabbed her coat and her bag. 

  "Quick, let's go!" She said, pushing past Chanyeol. Chanyeol rolled his eyes, reaching out a hand to block her.

  "Are you seriously wearing this there?" Chanyeol asked, making a face. "Go back and change into something nicer." He then forced Minae back into the apartment, blocking the doorway. Minae ran into the room, flustered. She was not the type to be late. After throwing on a blouse and a pair of jeans, she rushed out. Chanyeol stared after her and shook his head, smiling. 

  Within half an hour, they had reached the destination, a classmate's place. Loud music immediately came blaring out as the two pushed through the door. There was already a small crowd of people at the living room, holding a can of coke in a hand, and gesturing animatedly with the other. Chanyeol spotted his friends and jogged towards them, shouting out some greetings. Minae stared uncomfortably after him. Now that he'd left, what should she do? She did not have any friends there. Everything was unfamiliar. 
 

Chanyeol noticed Minae standing all along with her brows furrowed. She looked so lost that he felt a pang of guilt. 

  "Minae, come here!" Yelling out her name, Chanyeol gestured for her to come enthusiastically, wearing that goofy smile of his. Minae spotted him waving towards her and arched an eyebrow. She shook her head slightly, not willing to go towards him. Not especially since he was with his friends. Chanyeol ignored her and strode towards her. With a swift motion, he grabbed her arm, pulled her close to him and dragged her towards his friends, his mouth set in a thin and determined line. 
 

Oh great, Minae groaned inwardly. Why did she agree to come?