Pergamon

Power of nothing

I AM BACK

First of all: I am a horrible person and I apologize, This is not even good. It is short and confsing but that that is sort of part of the plot (not the short part- that is my fault). I should edit this more but this chapter is long overdue. 

Second of all: I'd like pictures/poster/gifs for this story- If anyone is interested in making some please tell me

And thirdly: I will make no promises for next chapter. I am so so so sorry <3 hopefully this is good enough for now. Sorry that it is sort and unedited <3

(BAP IS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!! YOUNG, WILD AND FREE!!!)

 

Youngjae is not overly fond of museums. He downright dislikes them. Statues, paintings and mundane objects hung up together in a vain attempt to educate and entertain the mass of clueless people. Memories of times not worth preserving scrambled together in grandiose rooms to create a dramatic ghost of the past.

Youngjae knows that the past was not as spectacular as the guide beside him tries to make it sound. The ideas and ideals where not as fascinating as the excited man seems to think. Humans where humans back then as well and acted in the same human way as they do today. They laughed, lived, worked and fell under the same underlying laws that the people milling around the museum live under. The unlucky and the normal walked the lines of their faiths until they decayed and the privileged made a small part of the history displayed on the walls of the museum.

“Isn’t it magnificent?” Daehyun breathes beside him, looking at the huge altar in front of them.

“Not really” Youngjae answers and he feels rather than sees Daehyun deflate.

“It was made for the old Greek thunder god, Zeus” Daehyun tries to push on and Youngjae sighs.

“I know” He says curtly and spares Daehyun a glance. “I was there.”

And then he walks away.

Normally he’s considerably more tolerant towards people but Daehyun is a special case. Daehyun talks too much, touches too much, expresses too many feelings. Youngjae likes quiet and calm and controlled and Daehyun is anything but. Daehyun is motion, emotion and happiness.

Youngjae doesn’t understand how anyone that has lived for so long can be so happy.

“Did you not like the architect or something?” Daehyun jokes as he follows Youngjae, who quickens his steps and reaches Himchan and Youngguk without answering, flashes of a smile and a clenching in his gut reminding him of memories that should be long gone.

“There you are! We are moving to the next part of the museum” Himchan says with a warm smile. “Where are the other two?”

“Over there” Youngguk answers and nods towards the other end of the altar.

Jongup is staring at Junhong and Junhong is trying so hard to look anywhere else than Jongup that he doesn't notice. Youngguk catches Junhongs eyes and motions for them to come. Junhong almost sprints over and Jongup can't really keep up. 

"Are we moving to the next room?" Junhong asks, moving closer to Youngguk and further away from Jongup. Jongup frowns, Youngjae thinks that they are incredibly stupid. He thinks that this is incredibly annoying and stupid.

"Yes we are" Youngguk answers.

Youngjae fights back a sigh. Why do they have to move along? Can't they just go home? The world is as grey inside the museum as it is outside. 

Apparently the rest don't agree. they move into the museum, going further down the memory lane. Memories so old that Youngjae no longer fully remember them. No longer feels the wounds that took centuries to heal. He lags behind, glances at the altar. Sees a smile, a laugh, a forbidden whisper in a garden. Touches that should never have been there, minds drunk on the idea of being remembered forever, stolen glances from eyes he can no longer remember fully. He only feels a small spike in his gut.

Gets a blurry memory of blood on his hands. Swallows down more flashes of blood and tears and screams, breathes in a familiar anexity.

nihil est sempiternum

And nothing is really worth perserving is it?

 

 

Professor Schultze is a professor at Freie universität Berlin at the department of history and cultural studies. He’s currently situated in the restaurant at the Pergamon museum. He has 4 empty and one half full cups of coffee in front of him, a portfolio with very important documents and a frantic stare in his eyes. He ruffles his hair, sips his coffee, feels the caffeine pump through his blood. His eyes sweep across the museum, searching.

He has a mission.

He frowns.

Has? Had? He’s had a mission? Does he still have it? Did he lose it between the cups of coffee or in the labyrinth of his mind? He had a mission?

He has a mission.

Professor Schultze smiles, straightens and meets the eyes of his old friend, waves him over.

Youngguk waves back with a gummy smile, turns around to his friends and says something before making his way towards Professor Schultze. He stands up, greets his friend, gets introduced to his company and asks them all to “sit down please, just get some chairs from the other tables there is no problem, do you want coffee?  Tea? Cookies?”.

The waitress arrives with their order (They did order? Right?) and they settle down. Youngguk’s friends seem nice, shy- two of them, and one is frowning like he’s confused, but overall they seem like a nice bunch.

“Aevum sends her apologies, she’d come if she could but you know how it is- the universe is big” He says to Daehyun and laughs (it’s an old saying, right? The universe is big, you don’t have the time. That’s what you say. Right?). Daehyun smiles, nods and rolls his eyes.

“Yeah, she’s always like that” He responds and they share a knowing, fond grin.

Like always, this is how it’s always been. Hasn’t it?

“At least we got to meet you, it’s been a long time” Youngguk says and Jongup nods with a lazy smile. Professor Schultze laughs.

“Well it’s always  nice to meet up with old friends” He answers and his smiles enlargens

“I am sorry.” Himchan irrupt the conversation, still frowning. “I can’t really remember us deciding on a meeting?” He continues slowly and his eyes flicker uncertainty between the 6 of them.

Professor Schultze blinks, frowns, and does a retake. The atmosphere grows heavy with tense confusion.

They decided on a meeting, right? Sometime before this, didn’t they?

“Well decide and decide” Youngguk says with a laugh and the short tension around the table breaks. “You know how it is these days, if you’re in the same town you take the time to meet up.”

“It’s not as easy as before to meet” Youngjae agrees and Professor Schultze sighs in agreement (there was a before? There has always been a before.). Himchan is still frowning slightly but he doesn’t say anything.

They small talk. Time passes, people walks by.

The professor remembers his mission.

“Right, I have the information that you need” He says and the company sobers up. The atmosphere once again tightens. He touches the portfolio on the table. “In here I have 6 tickets to Los Angeles, no return. There are also papers for a car rental. Take the car to the Huntington Beach district to find what you need to do.” He takes a breathe, looks at them one by one. “I guess you have some idea of what’s going on?”

“Yes” Youngguk answers while the others mutter words like “barely” and “well that depends on what you mean by ‘some idea’”. Youngguk glares at them, annoyed , and Professor Schultze smiles faintly. So typical Youngguk to not tell them anything clearly

“You’re here to get some answers, aren’t you?” He asks, suddenly sure of what he should do (haven’t he always been?). “I can explain some things, the rest you’ll have to figure out yourselves” Another deep breathe. “You're wondering why you can't control the weather at all times." 6 nods, so far so good. "It's because there are more creatures than you who can control the weather. Humans have enemies. You have enemies. They don’t have a name. They are sometimes called the little grey ones, or the shadows, or the darkness. There are several other names, some more dramatic than the others. It doesn’t matter. The grey ones are disturbances in your powers. Small shadows that slips in where you can’t see, when you’re not paying attention or when you’re having a moment of weakness. They thrive of destruction. The less compact matter there is in one place the better. Animal, and therefore human, fear and hopelessness are their favorite dishes. Natural destructions are their view of a prime feast. They are the reason for tsunamis, storms, earthquakes and have annual celebrations, which are our storm periods. They live in one single community, one single base situated at the American west coast. If you go there you can find their base.” He finishes an dthe silence stretch out in a tense pause.

“And then?” Youngjae asks.

But the Professor’s task ends there.

“That, you will have to decide yourself” He says.

The silence once again takes over. He slides the portfolio over to Youngguk, who opens it and stares at the tickets.

“First class” He states.

“You need to be generous sometimes” The Professor says with a shrug and another small smile.

Youngguk smiles back, a smile that doesn’t reach his eyes, and closes the portfolio.

“Thank you for this” He says solemnly and the others nod, looking lost in their own thought processes. Professor Schultze is a bit worried for them; they look so young, so lost.

“Good luck” He tries and they nod, smiles some of them, faintly.

They sit in silence, progress the events.

“We have to go” Jongup points out. Youngguk jerks out of his thoughts, nods, stands up.

The rest follows. Bids their goodbye and starts walking away. Himchan lingers.

“We don’t know you, do we?” He asks slowly, searching in the professors eyes.

The professor pauses. Looks around.

Do they not? Did they not plan a meeting? Time has passed hasn't it? The people around them ahve moved, haven't they? They know each other. Don't they?

He had a mission.

“Of course you do, have it really been so long that you don’t remember me Himchan?” He answers, laughs and smiles. Himchan looks uncertain but his frown is smoothing out.

“We know each other” He states

“Of course” The professor assures.

“Of course” Himchan echoes, slowly smiles. “Well, Goodbye then Professor, I hope that I’ll see you soon again. We can’t have these long breaks in between our meetings! We need to get better at maintaining our friendship!”

The Professor laughs, agrees, and bids his friend goodbye.

He sits down again.

He has finished his mission.

Professor Schultze is a professor at Freie universität Berlin at the department of history and cultural studies. He’s currently situated in the restaurant at the Pergamon museum. He has 6 empty cups of coffee in front of him and a tired look in his eyes. He ruffles his hair, sighs and rolls his head on his shoulders. His eyes sweep across the museum, slowly regarding the people in front of him.

He came here to get inspiration for how to improve his lectures, it had come to his attention that his students find his lessons boring and he wants to change. He’s been trying too hard, has come up with nothing, you would think 6 cups of coffee would make you feel energetic but he is just tired.

So very tired.

He goes out, walks slowly across the grand halls of the museum.

He had a mission. The thought makes him stop.

He had a mission?

Did he?

 

Das is all (Imma try to write the next chapter faster)