Costa café

Power of nothing

Hello again~! Jesus christ I'm tired! This was supposed to be a lot shorter what happened? -.- :(. I might go back and edit this later because right now I really need to get to bed!! Please leave a comment and tell me what you think! ^^ Goodnight! <3

It's awkward.

Yongguk's slowly swirling the Americano in his cup with his spoon as they wait for the snowman to get his incredibly complicated coffee drink. Opposite to him the rainman is fiddling with his camera as he looks out of the window. He looks calm but Youngguk can tell by the way he's detaching and reattaching the lens cover that he doesn't like silences. Himchan seems too busy glaring at the snowman and muttering about destroying good coffee with sugar and stupidity to notice the discomfort that has settled around the table.

Yongguk has never been good at starting conversations but he decides to try.

"What's your name?" He asks and the rainman turns to look at him, eyes glittering from the lights of the streetlights outside.

"Youngjae." He answers and Yongguk nods.

"I'm Youngguk, this is Himchan" He says and gestures to Himchan that doesn't even seem to notice.

Youngjae nods before he looks out of the window again.

Yongguk has never been good at keeping conversations flowing.

They sit in silence until minutes later when the snowman plops down beside Youngjae with a satisfied smile, a large drink with cream and a sandwich. Himchan give his drink a look of pure hatred and the snowman seems even more satisfied.

"I am an adventurer" The snowman suddenly says. "I am a dreamer, an inventor, a singer. I am the love of your life and your worst enemy. But you can call me Daehyun" He continues and Himchan snorts.

"I am pretty sure you're not the love of my life" He says but he seems amused. Daehyun doesn't seem offended as he smiles. Beside him Youngjae rolls his eyes.

"Believe me you're not the first one to say that" Daehyun says with a grin and turns to his companion. "Have you introduced yourself?" He asks and nudges Youngjae, who seems annoyed.

"Yes" Youngjae says

"Not like that" Yongguk says.

They stare at each other in silence for 3 seconds until Youngjae looks down at his espresso and open his mouth.

"I'm Youngjae. I'm a photographer, a loner, a searcher for things of beauty and a philosopher. I am the brother that gives small comforts, like a cup of tea or a blanket and I am the friend who's only making things worse when the days are dark." He says monotony and Yongguk offers him a smile.

Youngjae gives him half a smile back.

"Well that was two very thoroughly and very odd introductions" Himchan says and smiles comforting at the two of them. "But I guess it was about time that we got to know each other properly after all these years."

Daehyun nods, mouth full of sandwich as Youngjae turns to Yongguk.

"I don't think we have ever talked" He says and Yongguk smiles at him.

"I am not a very talkative person" He explains. "And I don't talk the way you do. Besides, I am rarely where any of you are" He gestures at Daehyun and Youngjae.

One of them frown and the others eyes shift in understanding.

"I see" Youngjae says and nods at Yongguk.

Yongguk thinks that maybe it's not that he's bad at keeping conversations flowing but that Youngjae is good at breaking them.

"Well you still have to introduce yourselves" Daehyun fills the silence after he has finished chewing on his sandwich. Yongguk looks at Himchan and the other leans back in his chair, raising a perfect looking eyebrow before he speaks up.

"I am Himchan. I am a realistic optimist and a dreamer without dreams. I live for today but I don't make every day count." He says shortly before he turns to look at Yongguk. Yongguk meets his eyes.

"I am a fighter. I refuse to just leave things alone, I always finish what I started and I do what I believe in. I might not be the friendliest guy but I am loyal and for me that is more important. I am a revolutionist." He says without breaking eye contact before he turns to Daehyun. He boars his eyes into the others before he continues. "And that's why I am here."

"To start a revolution?" It's Youngjae that speaks up and Yongguk switches his attention to him with a smile.

"Yes." He answers and beside him Himchan releases a breath.

"And who are you revolting against?" Daehyun asks slowly.

The air around them itself seems to thicken with tension as they all look at Yongguk. He meets their eyes one by one and calculates what to say. Outside the costa café few people are walking the streets. It's a Wednesday at 7 and those who are out tonight are at a restaurant or a café like theirs. In the corner by the window a teenager with soulless, lost eyes haven't touched his coffee since they entered. His eyes are glued to the paper in front of him and his left hand is spinning the pen around slowly. If he would pick up his coffee now it would still be hot, but not too hot, Yongguk has made sure of that.

"I'm not going to tell you now" He says and he can feel their disapproval.

"You will have to if you're going to make us follow you on this revolution" Youngjae says with a frown. "I'm not following anyone if I don't know what for"

"Have you ever followed anyone at all?" Yongguk asks. or have you always walked alone.

Yongguk knows he can’t ask the last part. He already know it would hurt. Youngjae’s eyes, his fiddling with the camera and the way he is annoyed by Daehyun but still does as he says have told Yongguk enough.

Youngjae will follow because he desperately needs to feel how it is to trust someone.

Daehyun will follow because he’s an adventurer.

This time Himchan breaks the silence.

“No one will force you to do anything you don’t want to do” He begins and glances at Yongguk. When Yongguk doesn’t say anything he continues. “I don’t know if you have something or someone special here. If you have some great conviction that is much more important than to follow us but if you can and want to I would like you to go out on a limb. Follow with us. For me this is the first time in forever that I have met someone like myself and I am planning to see this through, even though it is kind of insane.”

They don’t answer for a while. In the corner by the window the teenager touches his coffee cup with a sigh as he rises and startles when he notices that it’s still hot. He sits down again and stares at it as long as Yongguk stares at him from the corner of his eye. Then his lips turn up in a small smile and Yongguk turns his concentration back to the others in front of him. Himchan is looking at the barista by the counter, probably trying to see how she makes the coffee and Youngjae is staring out of the window again. He seems thoughtful, unsure, insecure.

Daehyun on the other hand has already decided.

“Insanity has always gone well with me” He says and his confident smirk doesn’t reach his eyes. “I’m in”

Yongguk nods seriously and Himchan smiles. Youngjae doesn’t react but keeps staring out the window. He’s not touching his camera anymore and his fingers are lying still on the table. Outside the rain has lessened to a soft drizzle, barely enough to be called rain.

“Where are you going?” Youngjae asks, eyes following a pedestrian with his eyes as she walks past. He doesn’t turn his head to look after her but let her go in favor of looking at the old man that’s coming next, walking his dog with a rain hat lowly tucked over his eyes.

“To get the others” Yongguk answers.

“And where is that”

“I don’t know yet” Yongguk answer and leans forward as Youngjae finally turns to look at him. His eyes are filled with annoyance and disbelief and Yongguk locks his gaze with a serious expression. “I don’t have a clear plan. I only have a goal and an enemy but one thing I know for sure. If I would let myself be steered by doubt I would never go anywhere. And you always have to keep moving. Life is about moving forward, it’s about ing up and being able to move on. To take a chance and fail miserably because then you know that what you just failed at doing won’t work. If you keep walking after that then you won’t fail that way ever again. And one day you will find the right way. Don’t let doubt stopping you from becoming who you are meant to be. Don’t you want to see if you could be someone that you’re not right now?”

The café is full of life.

Their table is silent.

The teenager in the corner is drinking his coffee happily and Youngjae is staring at Yongguk. Himchan and Daehyun is also staring, emotion clogging the sparks that normally shine in their eyes, but Yongguk only looks at Youngjae’s eyes. His eyes are empty. His sparks are hidden by a wall Yongguk can’t look through and that contains no emotions.

He keeps staring anyway, hoping that it helps.

Time stops.

“I really hope we’re not going to Los Angeles or Las Vegas or something like that because it’s terribly platonic and way to dry” Youngjae says and the tension breaks.

Time rolls on smoothly without skipping a beat and Daehyun’s mouth breaks into a huge grin. He tackles Youngjae with a hug and the other looks so horrified that Yongguk for a moment is worried that he will go back on his decision. He’s not really worried thought. All the sparks are back and Yongguk leans back in his chair with a gummy smile. Himchan pats him on the arm and he turns his head to look at him. Himchan’s hair is surrounded up by the streetlight outside and they share two happy smiles that make Yongguk feel strangely giddily.

“Well now that all this is settled why don’t we go and find a real restaurant to eat in? I’m starving!” Daehyun exclaims happily and ignores Youngjae’s tries to pry the overly enthusiastic boy of him.

“How can you be starving? You just ate!” Himchan says but Daehyun is ignoring him as well in favor of dragging Youngjae out of the chair and towards the exit of the café, all while babbling about “English Indian food”.

“Hey! Stop that, you’ll choke him!” Himchan exclaims and quickly stand up to run after the duo.

Yongguk slowly rises from his chair and sends an apologetic smile towards the confused and slightly chocked barista at the counter before he starts to make his way out of the café. Before he leaves he makes sure to send a reassuring smile towards the teenager by the corner by the window.

The teenager blinks in confusion and follows the man with the gummy smile with his eyes as the other follows his companions out of the café. His eyes never leave the man until he’s out of sight. Then he looks down at the paper again. His eyes drift to the warm coffee and back again. His mind toys with the idea of a sign from above.

Then he decides.

He picks up the paper and crumbles the suicide note in his hand, a feeling of determination washing over him as he throws it on the ground.

 

Yongguk and Himchan arrive at the hotel much later. Himchan is very tired and Yongguk is amused by how much the other seems to need a lot of sleep. He doesn’t comment on it thought and gracefully let the other rest on his shoulder as they take the quick ride up the elevator. The young business woman with them in the elevator looks like she’s trying hard to hold back a fond smile while looking at them and for some reason it makes Yongguk blush. He quietly wishes her goodnight as they go out of the elevator and the goodnight he gets back seems confused, like strangers doesn’t normally wish her goodnight in elevators.

They make their way back to the hotel room with Yongguks arm around Himchans waist, and as soon as they’re inside Himchan takes the bathroom for himself. Yongguk doesn’t mind though and his eyes fall on the black folder on their bed. He walks up to it and slowly opens it.

Himchan walks out of the bathroom door minutes later.

“What’s that?” He asks and walks forward to look over Yongguk’s shoulder.

“We’re going to France” Yongguk answers as he picks up the four tickets from the folder and turn to look at Himchan with deep, serious eyes.

 

(cause you know the sun sees it all...hopefully this chapter wasn't too confusing xD)