Prologue

Power of nothing

Authors note: this might be edited later but it's a start. Hope you enjoy and I will try to come up with a steady schedule for updates. there is a small chance that i will suceed.

----

Yongguk looks up at the grey clouds hanging over Stockholm. They are especially grey and heavy today. Like they are just waiting for a signal to pour down their water over the souls of the city. The swedes can feel it. Their steps are more stressed than usual, their shoulder hunched down and eyes dulled with annoyance and stress. It's the look most people’s eyes get as the days turn shorter and the constant darkness start to take over. But winter isn't here yet and the heavy clouds, the cold and oncoming rain is just a preparation for what is to come.

Yongguk turn his attention to the street in front of him.

He's walking slowly, earning angry glances from the people around him. In Stockholm no one walks slowly, everyone is constantly on the move and a person walking in a leisure pace is seen as a nuisance.

Yongguk doesn't mind though.

A nuisance is what most people see him as and he's long past used it.

It's a part of his personality.

He continues down Drottninggatan, towards the shopping mall that’s too expensive for him to ever visit, and turns to the left when he reaches the crossing. He continues down, past small, weird looking shops, until he reaches a road, cars slowly moving in front of him from the left to the right.

It's 5 p.m. and in the middle of the rush hour. The road is completely jammed with impatient car drivers tapping at their steering wheels. If any of these car drivers would notice a flash of light or a sudden feeling of warmth none of them will think about it for a longer time. Their brains filter away the sudden and short change as unnecessary information and focus on the meeting tomorrow or what they will make for dinner or how unnecessary the "dog in the car"- sticker on the car in front of them is.

Yongguk looks up at the sign in front of him, cars having come to a complete stop behind him as the traffic light some meters away have turned red. To his left is the central station and beyond it is the stream that moves along the inner city of Stockholm, its grey water unforgiving and cold.

The sign says “espresso house”.

It’s a large coffee house chain in Sweden with a hipster feel where everything is ridiculously overpriced except the muffins; those are just slightly overpriced. This one is situated in the corner of a large building and from where Yongguk stands he can see through the glass doors and straight at the counter where a man with Asian looks is serving a university student.

That male is the sole reason to why Yongguk is here.

He walks up the small stairs to the door and pushes it open. The warmth washes over him pleasantly and forces away the icing cold from outside. He takes a deep breath to inhale the smell of the coffee and lets out a small sigh as a smile spread across his lips. The man sitting down at one of the chairs looks at him suspiciously because like most swedes he doesn’t trust any stranger that randomly smiles to himself. It’s not seen as common or sane behavior.

There are a lot of people in the café. Groups of teenagers chatting at the sofas, busy looking women and men tapping away on their laptops as they take advantage of the free Wi-Fi and moms having a break from being moms while taking a coffee with their friend. Their conversations mingle in the air together with the soft background music into a warm, pleasant buzz. Yongguk walks to stand in the line behind a middle aged, tall and y looking man with an almost bald head who seems stressed and annoyed. There are three people in front of Yongguk in the line and he lets his eyes sweep over the delicacies lining up on the left side of the counter like he’s actually considering buying one.

He isn’t.

The woman in the front finishes her order and moves to the side to wait for her coffee to be made. The male at the counter turns to the next customer.

His name is Himchan.

He started his shift for half an hour ago and he will be the last one to leave today when the café closes at 8.

Yongguk haven’t been stalking him. He’s been doing necessary research.

“Hej” Himchan greats and smiles at Yongguk after the middle aged man has ordered his espresso. “vad får det lov att vara?”

“Sorry” Yongguk answers. “I don’t speak Swedish”

“Oh, sorry” Himchan has a very accented English but it’s not a Swedish accent. It’s Korean. “What would you like to order?”

“An Americano please”

Himchan smiles but Yongguk sees that he doesn’t approve. Like every true barista doesn’t when you ask for coffee with water. He’s probably sighing mentally while asking himself why no one understands the true beauty of coffee and instead insults it by adding hot water to dull and destroy the amazing taste.

It makes Yongguk smile and he quickly pays for his drink before he goes to stand and wait for it to finish while letting his eyes sweep over the café in search for an empty seat.

He finds one at the large wooden table in the middle and makes his way over to the spot after his drink has been handed to him. On his way he stops by the little bookshelf that’s a part of the staircase and snatch a random book to entertain himself with as he waits for 8 o’clock.

 

“You’re still here?” Himchan’s voice ring through the air and destroys Yongguk’s concentration. He tears his eyes away from the surprisingly interesting book and blinks at the barista. The café is almost empty and the people around Yongguk are already starting to pack up and leave. It’s already past 8 o’clock and Himchan looks annoyed.

Yongguk doesn’t care.

He’s on a mission.

“Yea” He answers, sending a smile Himchan’s way. “I am. And I am planning to stay here for a while”

“We’re closing” Himchan states with a frown, every sign of a shop worker’s hospitality gone.

“We need to talk” Yongguk ignores Himchan’s question and the other looks if possible even more annoyed.

“About what, I don’t have the time for this”

“We’re going to talk about clouds.” Yongguk answers and the man that passes them on his way out give him an odd look which Yongguk pretends to not see. He keep his eyes on Himchan instead as the others expression goes from annoyed to curious.

“Clouds?” He asks slowly. “What about them?”

“They are looking pretty today” Yongguk smiles. “And you control them.”

Himchan snorts but he seems flattered.

“Controlling wouldn’t be the right word” He mumbles. Yongguk smiles at this and get a brief twist of the lip upwards in return.

“Please sit down” He says and Himchan only considers it for a short moment before he sits down opposite to Yongguk.

“So are you like me?” He asks, curiosity filling his voice. “Have you come here to explain things? Why I am like this?” Yongguk smile falters when he hears the hope in his voice.

"No. I don't have any answers" Yongguk says and stirs around in his coffee cup, avoiding Himchan’s eyes. "Only questions and two plane tickets to London" Yongguk reaches into his pocket and takes out the two tickets which he places on the table in front of Himchan.

There is a short silence.

The tickets aren’t touched.

“Tickets to London?”

"We're meeting the others.”

“The others? Have you met them before?”

“No”

“And you expect me to join you just because you ask?”

“Yes” Yongguk answers and finally looks up at Himchan again. The other meet his eyes with a look of surprise. Then it turns into thoughtfulness. Yongguk leans forward.

“I think that you will join me because just like me you want to know. Why you’re special. Why you’re like this. And why I am the same. Why we were chosen”

Himchan looks doubtful and Yongguk’s heart is beating rapidly.

“You said you didn’t have any answers.” Himchan says after a short pause in the conversation.

“I don’t.” Yongguk counters easily. “But I have beliefs. And I think that we should do something. That what we has is made for being used. For good, for humanity. That's what I believe. And I also refuse to believe that I am not made for great things. That we aren't made for great things. So join me. And let us find great things to conquer."

The coffee shop is quiet again. They are the only ones left. Yongguk doesn’t take his eyes of Himchan and the other meets his eyes easily. He tries to read what Himchan is thinking but his eyes are emotionless dark pools, so different from their usual state of glittering friendliness. Outside the traffic has lessen markedly and the few pedestrians on the street hurries past without casting an eye into the shop or thinking about anything else but getting home.

 “Your coffee is still warm” Himchan remarks. “Even though you came in here hours ago”

“Even though I came in here hours ago” Yongguk echoes with a small smile.

“Well I can’t say I am surprised about the fact that it takes a long time to finish; an Americano is an useless choice” Himchan continues dryly and Yongguk laughs. Himchan smile at the sound and they fall into an easy silence after that.

Himchan doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to get home anymore and Yongguk is never in a hurry. He can wait.

The tickets remains unmoved.

“I can’t afford a trip to London. Especially not a spontaneous one like this that goes tomorrow. I will lose my job and everything I have worked for here” Himchan says finally and glances at the tickets.

“And for how long have you been working for this?” Yongguk asks lowly.

“For too long” Himchan avoids his eyes.

“Then don’t you think it’s time to work for something new?”

There is another pause as Himchan thinks this through.

“I am safe here. I have a home and a job and stability” He then says, frowning as he looks down at the table.

“Will that be enough then?” Yongguk asks. “For an eternity?”

Himchan looks up at this, meeting Youngguk’s eyes again and this time they seem scared. This time Yongguk’s words hit a sensitive spot.

“You said you didn’t have any answers” Himchan says and his voice cracks. “You can’t know…” His voice breaks and he have to take a deep breath.

“I don’t” Yongguk assures, carefully watching as Himchan seem to calm down. “But we might find out. If you come with me.”

Yongguk sees the moment Himchan gives up. The moment his shoulders sag and his eyes turn soft and he feel a flood of relief take over him even before Himchan open his mouth to speak.

“Okay”

The tickets are moved.