Denser Than Osmium?

Denser Than Osmium?

Chanyeol never considered himself the most intelligent person out there. However, he didn't consider himself stupid either. He was just pretty much average in his opinion. His sister thought otherwise, though. Chorong always complained about his density and Chanyeol didn't want to give her reasons to think she was right, but unluckily for him, he never understood why she said that.

He didn't understand why his sister thought he was dense, because he thought he was very good at reading people. Baekhyun and Jongdae were a clear example. He always knew when his two best friends did something just to piss him off, he was always ahead of them in their pranks and he knew how to push their buttons. Well, that was probably only because those two idiots were his best friends and he knew them too well.

But then there was Yoon Bomi and Chanyeol figured she was probably the reason Chorong always said he was dense. Chanyeol had been best friends with Bomi ever since the younger girl moved to the house next door when she was 7 and he was 8. The girl instantly became Chorong and Chanyeol's best friend, to the point that she spent more time at their house that at hers and sometimes stayed there and watched movies until three in the morning while eating ice cream.

Back to the point, no matter how long Chanyeol had known Yoon Bomi, he still found it hard to tell what was going on her mind. That was probably because she was a girl and girls were too complex for him to understand.

One day, for example, he came back to his house after football practice and found her curled up in ball on the couch, crying her heart out as he watched 'The Notebook' possibly for the millionth time. 

"Are you okay?" he asked her as soon as he saw her. He was slightly surprised when he saw her, not that it was not common to see her in his house instead of hers. It was just that he at comforting people and he definitely didn't know what to say when he saw her there. "Did you break up with your boyfriend or something?"

Chanyeol did not expect the glare, full of hatred, that was thrown at him afterwards nor the cushion that flew towards his head after that. He scratched his head confused. Did he say something wrong? He didn't know, he just knew she was mad at him for what he said.

"Just shut up and cuddle with me, will you?" she said and he complied. The tall guy walked towards the couch and she made space for him. The two of them laid in there and finished watching the movie quietly. 

Cuddling with Yoon Bomi wasn't something weird for Chanyeol. They had known each other for more than 10 years already, so it was something common. However, when the girl fell asleep on his chest, nuzzling his neck slightly, he felt shivers down his spine and for the first time, acknowledged the fact that the proximity with her was making him nervous. He fell asleep afterwards as well.

Chorong scolded him later that night after she came back from her date with Joonmyun, telling him that Bomi hadn't broken up with his boyfriend because she didn't have one. Chanyeol didn't understand why she had been so down then and Chorong didn't bother to explain anything to him.

"For someone so tall, one would expect you to have an equally large brain" she simply said shaking her head in frustration. "Too bad, that isn't the case"

Chorong only shook her head, once again saying how he was unbelievably dense. Chanyeol didn't know if he should feel offended or not.

 

With each day that passed, Chanyeol found it harder and harder to understand Bomi's behavior. Bomi was a really touchy person and she didn't seem to understand what the meaning of personal space was.  Not that he minded, though. It was just that it was too distracting.

She would just cling to his arm everytime they walked together at school or she would just lay her head on his shoulder while he read a book during breaks. Needless to say, he would lose concentration everytime and would end up reading the same line over and over again.

As he said before, Yoon Bomi didn't seem to know the meaning of personal space. He had watched her for the past weeks, trying to figure out if she was like that to everyone or it was just something she did to him. So, it wasn't a surprise when he saw her jumping to Kyungsoo's back once or when he saw her hugging Eunji out of the blue for no particular reason. She was just a very affectionate person, he concluded. Bomi was like that to everyone. Or so he thought.

That day was one of those days in which they were walking together back home. Once again, Bomi had clinged to his arm and they walked like that all the way home. Bomi was rambling about her history class and how boring it was and he simply chuckled as he thought of the many times he had dozed off in that class. Time seemed to fly everytime they were together.

Later when they reached a park, Bomi told him she wanted ice cream so he went to buy two cones. He bought her her favorite flavors, which were strawberry and vanilla, and she hugged him tightly afterwards. Chanyeol flushed inmediately. Despite the fact that he had known the girl so many years, it still took him by surprise everytime she did things like that.

"You guys make such a cute couple" an old lady suddenly said and Bomi didn't even bother to correct her. She simply smiled. 

It was then that Chanyeol realized that people around probably viewed them as a couple and it confused him, it confused him very much because Bomi was clingly with her other friends as well, like Jongdae and Baekhyun for example, but it had never occured to him or to anyone else that she could be dating either of them. However, it seemed as if everyone viewed him and her as a couple and he couldn't understand why.

 

Bomi was so chipper and bubbly that Chanyeol had never imagined, not even in a million years, that she would get so mad at him. And he didn't even know why she was angry at him, which made things worse. He just knew that she refused to talk or even look at him ever since.

It all started at school, during lunch one day. Jongdae was teasing Chanyeol non-stop about a girl that had stopped him at the end of their class just to ask him out. Chanyeol had been shocked, to say the least, but he hadn't had the heart to reject the said girl. So he agreed to go to the movies with her on saturday. So when they arrived to their usual table at the cafeteria, Bomi overheard Jongdae teasing Chanyeol about his 'new girlfriend'.

Chorong almost choked with her food when she heard that and she soon gave her brother a death glare. Chanyeol seemed confused and didn't know why his sister seemed so mad at him. He looked around the table and everyone seemed unusually quiet. 

"I need to go" Bomi suddenly said, standing up from her seat. She didn't even look his way as she stormed out. 

Needless to say, she didn't spoke to him after that and it left him more confused than ever.

 

Almost a week passed since the events in the cafeteria and Bomi still hadn't say a word to him. Everytime he tried to start a conversation with her, she ignored him and walked away. Everytime he looked her way, she looked away. She was clearly avoiding him like plague and he didn't know why. It frustrated him very much because he didn't even know what he did to make her so angry.

He was now lying in his bed, thinking about the possible reasons why Bomi was so mad at him. Frustrated, he pulled his hair. He didn't understand. Why were girls so complicated?

He let out a sigh, just in time to see his sister walk by. He inmediately jumped out of his bed and walked towards her. If there was anyone who knew why Bomi was so mad at him, it would be his sister.

"Noona, can I talk to you for a second?" he asked. The older girl turned around and glared at him before nodding. Chanyeol sighed and then spoke, "Do you happen to know why on Earth is Bomi so mad at me?"

Chorong looked at her brother in disbelief and then sighed.

"Do you really not know?" she asked and he shook his head, confused. Was he supposed to know? If he knew he wouldn't be asking in the first place. 

Chorong sighed once again and face-palmed herself in frustration.

"I guess it's not Bomi's fault that you are denser than osmium" she simply said as she shook her head.

"What?" he asked confused and his sister glared at him once again "I think you've been spending so much time with doctor Joonmyun that you've started to use nerdy words as well. Please don't use medical terms with me"

Chorong glared at her brother and sighed defeated.

"First of all, don't call my boyfriend a nerd" she said and Chanyeol fought the urge to laugh "And second, osmium is not a medical term, it is a freaking element and you just needed to pass chemistry to know that"

Chanyeol looks blankly at his sister as he doesn't understand the need of the clarification. He looks even more confused now than he was before.

"That doesn't help much" he said helplessly and Chorong sighs once again "I still don't know why Bomi is mad at me"

"That's something you have to figure out on your own" Chorong said before entering her room and closing the door at her brother's face. So the conversation with his sister didn't help much and Chanyeol was left with more questions than answers.

 

Another week passed by and Chanyeol still didn't know the reason why Bomi was angry at him. He had, again, tried to talk to her but she kept on avoiding him. It seemed as if she was seriously mad at him. 

Chanyeol was also still very confused about the conversation with his sister to the point that he had even googled what osmium was. The answers he found didn't help much though. He found that osmium was a chemical element (not that he didn't already know after Chorong told him), that its atomic number was 76, which wasn't much helpful, and that it came from a greek word that meant smell.

Did his sister try to tell him he was smelly?

His eyes widened inmediately as he sniffed himself. He didn't smell that bad, so why had Chorong said something about osmium? He then remembered she said he was denser than osmium. He searched for it and found out that osmium was indeed the densest element. However, that didn't help to clarify his doubts either. Why the hell did he need to know that osmium was the densest element?

As he made his way towards the living room still as confused as always, he was surprised to see Joonmyun sitting on the couch, reading a very thick biology book. Not that it wasn't common to see him in his house, it was just that his sister was no where to be seen. Chanyeol looked at Joonmyun for a second and figured that maybe he could help him. He was attending a pre-med school so he should know about that stuff.

"Hyung, can I ask you a question?" Chanyeol asked out of the blue as he plopped down next to him in the couch.

"Shoot" the older guy said. His eyes never leaving the book. Chanyeol looked at his future brother in law and hesitated for a while, before finally asking.

"Is is possible to be denser than osmium?" Chanyeol asked confused and Joonmyun raised and eyebrow in equal confusion. He then looked at him with slight amusement. He figured his girlfriend's brother was in a little predicament so he chose not to laugh.

"Scientifically no, it is not possible to be denser than osmium since it is the densest natural element" Joonmyun said

"But..." at this pause, Chanyeol looked at him with hopes of getting the answer he was finally looking for "If what Chorong meant to say is that if someone can be stupid enough to have a density that surpasses osmium, then yes. It is possible"

Joonmyun had a smug smile and Chanyeol was left speechless. So his sister had intended to say that he was stupid? Once again, he didn't know if he should feel offended or not.

 

Chanyeol figured he wouldn't find his answers by talking to people that weren't Bomi. So far the only thing he had found out was the osmium was a freaking element and that his sister thought he was stupid. Nothing new if he may add. So, he needed to talk to her in order to find out.

He tried his luck and went to look for her in her house. When she wasn't at school or at his house, she was definitely in her house. She didn't hang around in other places usually. He knocked on the door of the house next-door and was greeted by Bomi's scary brother, Doojoon. Chanyeol gulped as Doojoon glared at him with those cold eyes that could pierce anyone's soul.

"Is Bomi home?" he inmediately asked

"Living room" Doojoon simply said and let him in, before glaring at him once again and leaving to his room. Chanyeol walked on his own towards the living room of that familiar house and found the person he was looking for lying on the couch, watching a movie. For once, she wasn't watching 'The Notebook'. Instead, she was watching a movie he didn't recognize.

"Weren't you supposed to be on a date with your girlfriend?" she said coldly as soon as she realized he had walked in, without even looking at him. Well, at least she was talking to him and that was a progress.

"She is not my girlfriend and I cancelled the date because I couldn't figure out why you were so mad at me" Chanyeol said as he sat down on the floor, resting his back on the couch and looking at her.

"Oh so you cancelled your date because I was mad at you" she said as she rolled her eyes in frustration, not feeling less angry at him because of that.

"Well, yes" he said "My best friend is mad at me and I cannot figure out why, which bothers me a lot actually"

Bomi scoffed angrily and shoved his shoulder. Chanyeol looked at her confused.

"That's exactly the problem" she said

"What?" he asked, still as confused as ever. She simply sighed and remained silent. Why the hell did he have to be so dense?

"Nothing" she simply said, before fixing her attention on the movie she was watching once again and completely ignoring the guy that was sitting on the floor. Chanyeol looked at his friend and sighed. He sat there for a while and fixed his gaze in the movie she was watching.

"What is the movie about?" he suddenly asked, trying to break the ice. He figured that if she didn't want to tell him why she was mad at him, he could at least try to make a conversation with her. Bomi simply sighed. 

"It's about a girl that is in love with her best friend, but the guy is too stupid to notice her feelings" she said with special anger. She had been dropping hints about her feelings for him, but he didn't notice. He was always so oblivious that she just wanted to rip his head out. "Sounds familiar, doesn't it?"

"Hardly" he commented with his gaze still focus on the screen and Bomi couldn't help but roll her eyes in defeat, Of course he wouldn't know. She could hang a sign in neon colors in her head saying that she liked him and he still wouldn't notice.

"So, how come he doesn't notice when she is being so obvious?" he asked slightly annoyed, as he was starting to get hooked with the movie. He was starting to feel the frustration of the main character as he watched the girl dropping obvious hints to the guy, but he was still ignorant about her feelings. Bomi fought the urge to laugh as she watched Chanyeol gripping the cushion on his hands tightly. Now he was starting to understand the feeling.

"Because he is denser than osmium" she mumbled, eyes still fixed on the television.

Chanyeol's eyes widened suddenly and it finally hit him. After so many years and endless hints, Park Chanyeol finally realized that his best friend had a crush on him. Finally he could understand Bomi's behavior and finally, everything made sense to him. So, that was the reason why she was so mad at him and that was the reason why she was so affectionate to him. 

"Y-you like me?" he asked hesitantly, looking at her with widened eyes. Instead of being embarrassed, Bomi simply scoffed.

"Congratulations Park Chanyeol, you finally found out" she said mockingly "It only took you ten years to realize it"

After that, she fixed her attention on the movie once again, not minding Chanyeol's reaction. His mouth dropped in an instant at the realization and he then looked at Bomi in disbelief. He had just found out she had a crush on him and she was just sitting there, still comfortably watching a movie as if nothing had happened. It took Bomi a few minutes to realize Chanyeol was still staring at her.

"What?" she asked him as she turned to face him

"I just found out you like me, aren't you going to do something about it?" he asked and she raised an eyebrow, before scoffing once again.

"Do you seriously expect me to make the first move after I practically threw myself at you for the past months dropping hints about my feelings?" she asked smugly and Chanyeol was left speechless once again. He then looked at her and chuckled.

"Right" he said. Now that he thought about it, it was pretty obvious she had feelings for him. He thought of the many times Bomi had hugged him, had clinged to him or had simply rested her head on his shoulder. It inmediately made him blush profusely at the thought of how nervous she made him feel everytime. How could he have been so slow not to notice. Realization finally hit him once again. Not only did Bomi had a crush on him, but he had a crush on her as well.

"Ok, maybe I like you too but I was too stupid to notice" he said embarrassed and Bomi giggled

"That's what I was trying to say" she said finally looking at him. Chanyeol smiled, before standing up from his seat and walking towards her. He then cupped her face gently and crashed his lips against hers gently. Everything inside of him moved as he felt tingling sensation inside of him. 

"Can't believe I waited so long for this" he said when they finally pulled away, still dazzled with the kiss. Bomi simply chuckled, before pulling him into another kiss. And that's how they spend the rest of the afternoon. Kissing, cuddling and watching a movie that neither of them was actually watching. 'Making up for the lost time' as he preferred to call it.

The next day, when they told everyone they were finally together, Chanyeol was shocked to find out that no one was actually surprised. He only received a couple of 'took you long enough' or 'it was about time' from his friends. The most expresive reaction he got was, of course, from his sister Chorong.

"I was starting to think you were blind enough not to notice billboard sized signals" she simply said as she shook her head. Chanyeol simply chuckled. Maybe he had to admit that they were all right and he was indeed, denser than freaking osmium but at the end what was important was that he found out.