Jung Mihyun

Of Heroes And Gangsters

     

      Her parents had thought that graduating would open up a world full of wonderful opportunities. Being the top of her class had ensured she could get into any university she had wanted. It was her chance to finally do something right. The money was of no problem. Her family was a bit more than well off. Seeing as her father was a famous lawyer and mother came from an extremely wealthy background. They were willing to pay top dollar to insure she could fallow any career path the girl had wanted. Or more like a career path that would make them look good. Imagine their surprise when she had told them that her passion was to dance. Ballet to be more specific.
 
“I thought that was just a hobby.” Mihyun’s mother had questioned, her face showing something between refined shock and elegant disappointment. There wasn‘t anything her mother couldn‘t do without looking dignified. But she was right for the most part. Indeed it had begun that way, as just a pastime. She had started dancing at the young age of six. Her mother had said it would teach the young girl to become more polished and noble. But it had sparked something deeper within her. From that moment on she had known what she wanted to do in life. Dance. Beautifully and gracefully as she captured the hearts of everyone in the room. But the shy and meek girl had kept this to herself, knowing that her parents would reject the idea and pull her out of classes immediately. 

“Dancing won’t guarantee a wealthy future.” Her Father, a somewhat harsh man who was equally as caught up in riches as her mother. But despite the obvious distain and disappointment they both had shown, they had agreed after noticing how reluctant she was to back down from this. But that didn’t stop them from voicing how dissatisfied they were with her choice.  

“I should of expected you to pull something like this. You are always causing us trouble. Why cant you be more like Daehyun? At least your brother has chosen a promising path.” Their words hurt. But it was nothing she wasn’t already used to. Growing up, her twin brother had always been the one praised by their parents. Not that he didn’t deserve said praise. He played his part very well. He knew all the right things to say and he was even more intelligent than herself. He was kind, charming and witty with looks that could make any girl swoon. Everything came so naturally to him. The only thing he was bad at was speaking his mind to their parents, even if they caused him displeasure.
 
Mihyun? She thought of herself as average looking, often found herself tongue tied in front of people she didn’t know and not to mention a klutz. She didn’t even have to open half the time to make her parents mad at her. And despite working hard on academics and finally reaching second in her class, the only thing she was truly and effortlessly good at was dancing. It was the only thing she could do that didn’t make her seem like a stuttering clumsy fool. She felt like herself when she danced. Like she actually belonged to something. While at home, She felt like she had been seen as a setback since the beginning. When Mihyun had unknowingly been born a few moments after her brother. She was constantly living in his shadow. But She couldn’t blame him. It was far from his fault. 
  
The girl stared out at the ocean view from her bedroom balcony. Sometimes it felt like they had only let her join ballet so she would be out of the way. So they could focus on her brother and not have her embarrass them at parties or events her family would host. But Mihyun loved dancing too much to care. She was just glad they hadn’t taken it away from her. The small girl heard a knock ring through the room but didn’t move from her spot. She knew who it was already. And soon enough he was leaning on the railing next to her.
 
“Didn’t go so well, huh?” Mihyun let out a sigh before standing upright to face him.

“I suppose it could have gone worse. At least they agreed to let me do it…after telling me how wrong I was for wanting to become a dancer. They seemed pretty proud of you, though. I guess I can see why. Becoming a doctor should bring in a lot more money than dancing. Not to mention it makes them look good.” He snorted. 

“Come on. You know I’m choosing this carrier for me, not them. I want to save people. I don’t care about the money like they do.” She rolled her eyes and walked back into her room, Daehyun trailing behind. He ruffled her hair playfully and gave her a smirk.

“I’m really proud of you Jung Mihyun. I’m glad that you’re doing something that you love instead of forcing yourself into something that makes you unhappy for the sake of our parents. I really wish I had your passion and guts sometimes.” His smirk turned into a sad smile. She fixed her now messed up hair and curled her nose at him. Mihyun hated when people turned serious. Somber situations made her extremely uncomfortable and most of the time she would find herself trying to lighten the mood with a joke or sarcastic remarks. 

“Dae, what are you talking about? You have plenty of passion. I’ve seen the way you talk about becoming a doctor. You have so much passion that your eyes sparkle a little. Its sickening to watch, really.” His smirk came back at her words.

“Okay. But I wish I had a rebellious passion. One that would make mom and dad want to pass out from disappointment. Its exhausting being the promising one.” The girl raised an eyebrow at him.
 
“Okay. How about you twirl around on your toes while I cut people open for a living.” He chuckled.

“Point taken. Lets just stick to what we‘re good at.” But then his face darkened.

“I just really hate how they treat you sometimes. It’s not fair.” She shook her head at him.

“It’s alright. I’m used to it.” He pouted at Mihyun and punched her arm playfully.

“Liar.” They could always feel what the other was feeling, in a sense. Or maybe they were just close. Either way, nothing got past them when it came to one another.
  
“Dishonesty comes with the disappointment package. Live with it.” She smirked. 

“Come on. We are going to go celebrate your awesomely disappointing future! I’m taking you to a movie of your choice.” She rolled her eyes at him as he grabbed her hand and led her out of her bedroom door. 

“Gee, thanks.”

      It was late autumn. Winter was just around the corner. They had to walk to the movie theatre, seeing as Daehyun‘s car was in the shop for the time being. It had seemed like a good idea in the beginning. Some much needed bonding time, as her brother had called it. And the walk downtown wasn’t that long. But as she hugged her light jacket tighter to her body as they exited the theatre, she now begged to differ. The temperature had dropped dramatically as the sun had set. Daehyun rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly and chuckled.

“I guess we should of just watched a movie at home, huh?” She sent him a glare as she released a large obnoxious huff in his face, turning her breath into thick foggy white air.

“Okay okay, I get it.” He pouted and took off his jacket before tossing it at her. Mihyun was about to throw it back at him when he shoved his hands in his pockets and started walking. Growling, she put it on and walked after him.

“Aren’t you cold now?” He shrugged. 

“I’ve got a hoodie on. I’m all good.” The girl sighed and cuddled into his warm coat. They continued to walk in silence for a few minutes until Daehyun stopped abruptly, making her jolt out of her wandering thoughts. 

“Wha-” He gripped her wrist tightly and swung her behind him in a rough manner.

“Daeh-”

“Mihyun, stay behind me and be quiet. Okay?” His voice sounded frightened and barley audible. It was very unlike him. That thought alone had her in a silent panic. She heard rustling coming from in front of us but she couldn’t see anything over her brothers frame. 

“W-what do you want?” She could feel him tremble slightly as he held her wrist behind him. The girl slipped out of his grasp and held his hand in her own tightly. She was scared. And that fear only rose when her brother was yanked away from her harshly and someone had grabbed her from behind, slipping a gloved hand over . They were pulled into an alleyway a few feet from where they were standing. She heard her brother say her name before a deep voice had told him to be quiet. She was tripping over her own feet in fright as the man behind her pushed her forward. None of them said anything until they rounded a narrow corner. Mihyun looked around. They were now in the back of a large building. Out of sight from any straggling pedestrians that happened to be out in this cold night. What was going to happen to them? Why were these masked men doing this? Who were they? So many unsettling questions had rung through her head. But then one of them spoke and she slightly understood what was going on. They were being robbed. He demanded Daehyun hand over his wallet. When her brother hesitated to comply, the man had gotten physical. She let out a shrill noise that was muffled by the hand covering , then lurched foreword with all her might. The man continued to throw punches at Daehyun only making her try harder to escape the persons grasp. He hardened his hold around her waist to try to keep her still. With all his attention focused on keeping her still, the hand around had slipped down slightly. Seeing an opportunity, the girl chomped down on his thin gloved hand as hard as she could. The man yelled and let go. 

Mihyun screamed. She screamed as loud as she could, hoping someone would hear her cries. It was only when her body was thrown harshly to the ground that she stopped. Someone had hit her in the face. It had hurt but all she was concerned about right now was getting the man to stop hurting her brother. The man on top of her was yelling profound language at her. Telling her to shut up and stay still. That he would make her pay for biting him. Her vision blurred with tears. And suddenly she felt lighter. Was this it? Was she dying? She couldn’t see clearly and no longer did she feel the mans harsh blows to her body. She didn’t want to move but then realized that her brother might need her. Mihyun squirmed, trying to roll onto her side. Her body hurt. 

“Daehyun.” She squeaked. Someone came into her line of vision and she flinched, not knowing who it was.

“It’s alright.” The distinct male voice had told her as he scooped her up into his arms. 

“I’m here to help you.” His voice was so soft and sincere that she believed him instantly. 

“My brother...”

“He’s alright. Don’t worry.” The voice was saying something else, but her body had begun to slip into unconsciousness once her mind was at rest. He’s alright. She had thought. Daehyun’s alright.