Chanyeol/D.O: Vocal Training (1603 words)

One-shot
Play another slow jam,
this is my property...
Tell me what is love...

"That's not it," Chanyeol cuts curtly.

Kyungsoo pries open his eyes after having sung only a verse of a song. He needs to close them, for better and enhanced performance. He sends a look of confusion to the boy at the piano who adopts a slightly displeased expression on his face. "You've got to sound more natural, Kyungsoo-yah. Smoothen your vocal chords. Don't be so tense."

Kyungsoo gulps when Chanyeol places his fingers back onto the piano keys, probably to show him how it's done. Kyungsoo is more concerned about how he is going to deal with observing how those beautiful long fingers will skillfully press onto the keys and slide from one to another, rather than attempting to 'make his voice sound more natural'. Besides, Chanyeol's mere presence in the practice room is the real reason behind the lump in Kyungsoo's throat that is affecting his vocal chords. As Chanyeol flawlessly plays the piano, he sings the same verse in a lower pitch that causes chills to run down Kyungsoo's spine. The smoothness of his voice can make his heart thump fast beat after beat, until he can almost go out of breath and goosebumps, like every other time, never fail to rise on every inch of his pale milk skin. Kyungsoo sinks himself into the heavenly melody as his eyes draw hearts towards the talented, dreamy boy at the piano. A moment like this—being alone in a room with his personal vocal instructor in the evening—is worth staying back after long exhausting rehearsals for. Chanyeol has always been the apple of Kyungsoo's eyes since the latter auditioned into the company. Kyungsoo believes Chanyeol is more well-rounded than he will ever be; being able to play different kinds of instruments, lead confidently, socialize, etc. Physically and mentally, Chanyeol makes him feel very incompetent, which then leads to him being competitive. He wants to be just like the taller guy. That's why he looks up to him, that's why he likes spending time with him. Kyungsoo admits to himself he admires his instructor. But, like a shy schoolgirl, he can never pick up the slightest bit of courage to confess.

His thoughts are interrupted when his eyes are dizzily focusing on a colossal hand aggressively waving in front of his eyes. "Do you hear me?" Chanyeol asks, sounding annoyed.

"Huh? Uh- Yes.."

"Now try it again."

He plays the piano again—the same tune—and cues Kyungsoo to begin with a gentle nod.

Yeah...
Play another slow jam.
This is my property,
tell me what is love...

"Good," Chanyeol compliments, surprising Kyungsoo at his standing position. Chanyeol continues to give his advices enthusiastically. "Now I need you to pull your voice a little, especially at 'this'. It's like... 'this is my property'. You hear that? It actually sounds better if......"

Better or whatnot... Park Chanyeol, you're really beautiful. That's what Kyungsoo wants to say. Chanyeol's gorgeous facial features—his huge eyes, his structured, long nose bridge, his luscious pink lips—all of these are making Kyungsoo so hopelessly attracted to the boy. What's with Kyungsoo, really? He wants to learn the best from him, yet he isn't digesting any of his useful advices and instead scanning Chanyeol's every single detail as if he wants to memorize all of them by heart.

"Understand?" Chanyeol questions, snapping his fingers in front of a dazed Kyungsoo multiple times before the latter is finally plunged back into reality. "What's up with you today? Pay attention," the tall boy warns again.

"I-I am."

"You weren't. What was my last word?" Chanyeol tests, crossing his arms and tilting his head up in authority.

"Er... Attention?"

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. "Not that."

"...Pay...?"

Chanyeol heaves a sigh of resignation. "Let's just forget it. Now, from the start." Once again, Kyungsoo closes his eyes and takes a deep, but gentle, breath. He begins singing again, taking into advantage whatever advice he has managed to pick up from his instructor. One thing's different, though; Chanyeol isn't playing the piano this time. Probably just to make sure I sound okay, I guess.

After having done his part, he finally opens his eyes, only to be met with another pair—a totally gorgeous and dangerously close pair—and Kyungsoo has to take a step back. However, the taller boy (who's back is bent in other to neutralize their height difference) advances boldly forward.

"W-why—What's wrong...?" Kyungsoo stutters in nervousness to Chanyeol who is still standing right in front of him, and nose at most 3 inches away from his own. He can hear his own heart beat racing, and he truly prayed that Chanyeol cannot hear it because the pounding is not getting any softer. "You..." Chanyeol speaks in his monotonous voice. "You're really amazing."

Without sparing Kyungsoo any second to react to that, Chanyeol pulls his timid shoulders towards himself, and forwardly kisses him. Park... Park Chanyeol.. IS KISSING ME?! At the sudden realization, Kyungsoo believes his eyes has never bulged out further. Is this a prank? Am I being punk'd? For all Kyungsoo knows, he is not Chanyeol's type. He just knows. He has painfully witnessed Chanyeol acting very clingy towards the much more amazing solo artist in the company whose dance can make any girl faint on the spot. Chanyeol always compliments his dancing ability. Chanyeol always attempts to do anything to make the other guy laugh, after which he did earn a hysterical laughter from the other. Chanyeol... Chanyeol's type has always been Jongin. THE Kim Jongin. So... why? Why is this happening to me? Weak-kneed, Kyungsoo is trying his best to at least stand upright. His arms are loosely hanging, he doesn't know where to put them. On Chanyeol's shoulders like how Chanyeol is doing? Or on his waist...? Or... Cheeks? He doesn't know what else to do other than closing his eyes. This is his very first kiss, for goodness' sake. A very awkward one, to say the very least. That's how he feels it is. He doesn't know about the boy.

Why does it feel like the world is spinning? Or as if I'm on the highest cloud? Actually it feels like both. I think I'm gonna throw up...

He only feels better when Chanyeol pulls away slightly, as he takes a deep breath of air. He eyes meet with Chanyeol's and boy does he appear extremely dashing up close. Chanyeol's eyelids are heavy with affection, with lips that seemingly appear a little desperate, as if he wants more. Kyungsoo hasn't had enough of those lips' savory taste, although tasteless. But he can't kiss him back. He's too shy to. He waits for Chanyeol's next action, which is another quick peck on his lips again. Honestly, Kyungsoo wants to capture it, if he could.

"Do Kyungsoo, will you be my boyfriend?" Chanyeol questions. His voice is unlike how he usually sounds; authoritative and annoying. He sounds romantic. So agonizingly romantic that he can almost sound lustful. Kyungsoo clears his throat and moistens his dry lips with his tongue, all these to calm his nerves just to reply to the boy. Other options could have been drinking an entire river or maybe applying lip balm on his lips over and over again. He remains staring back at Chanyeol blankly, still trying to gather some courage just to say a single word. Yes. Yes, he wants to be Chanyeol's boyfriend. Chanyeol is everything he ever wanted. But that little word gets stuck in his throat and he wants to curse himself for that. Instead, he nods shyly it causes Chanyeol to smile greatly. That grin. That familiar proud grin whenever he makes Jongin laugh. Except, it's a little different. His grin is mixed with affection that is still in his eyes. The grin he usually showcases to other people appear playful and amused. But this one appears tender, passionate and strangely biased. And for some reason this results in Kyungsoo feeling really cherished.

Being the audacious boy he always has been, Chanyeol pulls Kyungsoo into the tightest bear hug Kyungsoo has ever experienced. It is rigid, Kyungsoo admits, but it isn't uncomfortable. In fact, he is willing to stay in that position for as long as eternity if he wants to. Because his head is right where Chanyeol's heart is, and he can feel it pumping crazily, just like his own. 

"So... All this while..."

"Yeah," Chanyeol says, and Kyungsoo's insides feel like it is churning as he can feel the vibration in Chanyeol's chest. "I've liked you for a while now."

"Since when?"

"Since I've been told to coach you with my awesome vocal skills."

Kyungsoo razzes at Chanyeol's 'subtle' attempt to praise himself. Nevertheless, Kyungsoo admits, "I've fallen way before that," smiling into Chanyeol's chest bashfully. "And also... I... I actually thought you liked Jongin."

"Jongin?" He breaks into laughter as he pulls away, but his hands never leave Kyungsoo's waist. "But why him?"

"I... Don't know..." Kyungsoo apprehensively says in a soft voice. "The both of you seem tight so I—" "He's my cousin," Chanyeol states, amused.

"What?" Kyungsoo's mouth is agape.

"Not much of a shocker, actually. We both kinda look the same."

Kyungsoo smiles. To be honest, you look better. But he saves the opinion when Chanyeol embraced him with his long arms, pulling him into his broad chest yet again. Although a little hesitant, shy Kyungsoo raises his arms to hug the boy back in a loose manner. And Chanyeol's hold on his waist has never gotten tighter.