Five

pink toes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The party is well underway by the time the four arrive. The ballroom is crowded with more people than Baekhee expected. She feels a little bit out of place as she looks around at the gowns that some of the ladies are wearing. The trip was quite spontaneous and she didn’t have much time to pack since it was going to be a relatively short stay in Cuiaba before they went back to Sao Paolo. Baekhee had expressed her feelings of unpreparedness to Jongdae after their meal with his father…

“A party? Jongdae, why didn’t you mention that before?” They were walking around the downtown area as Jongdae was adamant on showing Baekhee around Cuiaba before the South Korea vs Russia game.

“Sorry. There was so much to handle in short notice at the time. The detail about the party slipped my mind.” Jongdae really did look apologetic so Baekhee could only let it go for now and mentally contemplate about what she had brought with her that could pass for a respectable evening outfit. But, she knew she had nothing. It was the middle of June. In Brazil. All she brought were shorts and t-shirts.

“Maybe, I’ll skip the party tonight.” Baekhee sees this as the only proper solution. It’s no use to go out and embarrass herself in front of everyone (Jongdae had told her that the party was mostly for his dad’s business partners and their friends). Her suggestion is completely innocent on her part but when she sees Jongdae’s sad pout, she suddenly feels guilty.

“I mean, I have nothing appropriate to wear for it and it’s going to be all of your dad’s friends anyways. I don’t see the need for me to—“ Baekhee tries to explain herself.

“You’re going. I want you to go,” Jongdae starts before quickly adding, “My dad would be expecting you too.”

“Okay, but,”

“We’re really close by Goiabeiras. It’s a shopping mall. Let’s find something for you to wear tonight.” Jongdae moves to cross the street, turns around and holds out his hand for Baekhee to take. His actions catch her off-guard. This was probably the last thing she expected to happen.

“What? No, Jongdae. You don’t have to. It’s fine. Let’s just--” She lifts her hand to gesture that they should continue down the street but Jongdae takes it as his opportunity to take her hand as he leads them across the street when it is clear of cars.

Once they’re on the other side of the street heading towards wherever this Goiabeiras place was, Baekhee pulls back to make Jongdae stop. He turns to her, still keeping his hand around hers. Baekhee is also aware of where her hand is and loosens her grip which signals Jongdae to also let go.

“Baekhee, what’s wrong? Don’t you want to go to the party too?”

Baekhee thinks about the night Luhan had asked her what she thought of Jongdae. She hadn’t given her answer right away. She was quiet for a bit before giving just a simple ‘He is very nice and I enjoy his company.’ Baekhee guesses it isn’t the answer Luhan wanted to hear based on her huff but it was the truth. However, Baekhee couldn’t stop thinking about Luhan’s question for a while after that. As she thought about her feelings towards Jongdae (she had to admit, she did imagine herself liking him in that way every now and then), she also thought about what Jongdae’s feelings toward her might be. It wasn’t too hard for Baekhee to figure out that he also liked her but co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter