Two

pink toes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhee wakes up to the sound of dogs barking (her phone alarm) and the subsequent sound of a door slamming close. She turns her head, with one eye cracked open, towards the front door and sees Luhan settling some plastic bags on the table. Luhan sees her and Baekhee faces away, covering herself under the blanket.

 

“Good morning, Baekhee-ah~” Luhan’s voice gets louder so Baekhee can tell that she is approaching her. Baekhee sleeps in the living room of Luhan’s apartment since the sofa conveniently has a foldable mattress built into it. Baekhee groans when Luhan leans her weight against her back. “Wake up! I have really good news! Amazing news, actually.” Baekhee doesn’t move, hoping that by keeping quiet Luhan will leave her alone.

 

Baekhee’s plan totally backfires when she feels Luhan’s hand grabbing at the sides of her tummy. She shrieks and shoots up out of bed to get as far away from Luhan as possible. When Baekhee turns around, with her messy bed hair and shirt sitting haphazardly on her body, Luhan is doubling over in laughter.

 

“Unnie,” Baekhee whines as she fixes herself. “You know I’m ticklish.”

 

“Well, how else was I supposed to get you out of bed?” Luhan wipes a tear of mirth from her eye before getting off the bed and going towards the kitchen. Baekhee follows her, eyeing the plastic bags first.

 

“You went shopping?”

 

“Yeah, earlier this morning. I would have asked you to come but you were knocked out, I didn’t want to wake you yet.”

 

“What did you get?” Baekhee asks as she browses the contents of the bags. She sees various snacks, candy, and fruit drinks. “Was this your good news?” Baekhee asks as she watches Luhan fry eggs in a pan for their breakfast.

 

“Ha-ha. No.” Luhan turns away from the stove. “My friend, the actual owner of the house from the party last night, got us... these!” And with that, she brandishes four colorful pieces of paper. Baekhee stares wide-eyed at them when she begins to realize what they are.

 

“That’s right, Baek! Your girl got us four tickets to the opening match today! No thanks necessary, just buy me a beer when we get to the game.” Luhan winks.

 

“W-What!? How? I can’t... believe it, even though I’m holding the darn things in my hands right now.” Baekhee looks at the tickets to read them and yep, they are official tickets to the match between Brazil and Croatia at the Arena de Sao Paulo.

 

“She actually had ten tickets, she bought them a while ago when they first went on sale. Some of her family couldn’t make it down in time for today’s match and.. ta-da! My obsessive nature towards football has its pros now, huh?” Luhan pokes Baekhee’s cheek before laying out plates for the two of them. “Go wash up, breakfast will be ready soon.”

 

 

“So, who are the other two tickets for?” Baekhee asks as they eat.

 

“Minseok and Jongdae.” Luhan replies easily.

 

Baekhee swallows her rice too quickly. “What?”

 

Luhan lazily points her chopsticks at her friend. “You know, that guy. He’s one of Minseok’s best friends. You met him last night. And couldn’t stop talking with him for, like, ever.” Luhan restrains from laughing at Baekhee’s repentant expression. “I might have not seen you for a while Baek, but I do know what your flirty face looks like and you were definitely flirting.”

 

“I-- We were just talking. It’s called ‘getting to know one another.’ And, it’s not like I could hold a conversation with your other friends with the language barrier and all.” Baekhee looks down at her bowl of soup and starts playing with the green onions.

 

“You’re getting kind of defensive.” Luhan smiles smugly. Baekhee shakes her head, then calmly sips some of her soup.

 

“Alright, so you don’t mind that I invited Jongdae?” Luhan watches Baekhee’s reaction carefully. Her Korean friend shakes her head again.

 

“Okay good, because we’re going sightseeing together before the match.”

 

Baekhee perks up at this. “We are?”

 

Luhan nods. “Yeah. I would take you around myself but I only know so much. I haven’t even explored all of Sao Paulo yet. I’ve only been here for a year, remember? Jongdae would be a much better tour guide.”

 

Baekhee thinks about the prospect of seeing Jongdae again. If it wasn’t for Luhan’s teasing, she would be happier about it. Now she’s thinking about how she doesn’t want Jongdae to get the wrong idea. Baekhee likes Jongdae’s company, and that’s it.

 

-

 

The guys pick them up at Luhan’s place. Minseok is driving, Baekhee remembers his car from when he and Luhan picked her up at the airport.

“Shotgun’s reserved for the girlfriend, Jongdae.” Luhan shouts as they’re pulling up to the curb.

“Okay, okay. I owe you that much for getting us tickets. I don’t mind sitting in the back anyways.” Jongdae turns to smile at Baekhee. She smiles back.

 

Even though Luhan said Jongdae would act as their “tour guide,” she had planned today’s schedule (“If we follow my plan, we won’t miss any action

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter