Three

pink toes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s getting to noon when Baekhee finally wakes up. The TV is on (tuned to the FIFA match) and Luhan is sitting next to Baekhee on the mattress, watching intently. Baekhee turns in bed.

 

“Oh, you’re up!” Luhan pats Baekhee’s legs. “Come on, watch the game with me.”

 

“Who’s playing?” Baekhee asks as she rubs the sleep out of her eyes.

 

“Mexico and Cameroon.” Luhan answers as she gets up, moving to the kitchen. “I’m rooting for Mexico!” she calls out with a fake accent. Baekhee manages to sit up, groaning because her back and head aches.

 

“Aww, is someone hungover?” Luhan says as if she’s talking to a child. “Here, eat this. You’ll feel better.” Baekhee peers at the bowl of congee her friend hands towards her. She takes it without complaint.

 

Luhan tells her that they got home around 2 in the morning in a taxi and that Minseok and Jongdae got home safely too. Baekhee groans loudly all the way to the bathroom as she goes to relieve herself of her morning grogginess and Luhan decides to tell of her drunken ramblings another time.

 

Luhan tells Baekhee that she wants to take her to the market so they can buy meats and veggies for their meals. “We can’t have you eating take-out the whole time you’re here.” Baekhee decides she’s right and they decide to go after this game.

 

The whole market is abuzz with talks of the match; Mexico had won 1-0. Baekhee scans the wide array of vegetables laid out in front of her. She’s thinking hard about what she wants to make because Luhan just asked her if it was okay if Minseok and Jongdae came over for dinner tonight. “Also, they wanted to watch the game together.” she adds as she places a bag of enoki mushrooms in the cart.

 

 

 

The two arrive about an hour before the game between Chile and Australia. Luhan answers the door while Baekhee is preparing the meat.

 

“Smells good in here!” Minseok says as he and Jongdae greet Baekhee. “That’s weird, we only have the broth done.” Luhan points out as she tests the spiciness of the soup.

 

“Need any help?” Jongdae asks as he sets a tall bag on the counter. Baekhee just realizes he was addressing her, too focused on separating the chopped meat from the cutting board. “Uh..”

 

“Yeah, you two! Wash and cut up the vegetables.” Luhan commands, pulling out the bags of veggies from the fridge. While Minseok is getting the knives and bowls, Baekhee asks Jongdae what’s in the bag. Jongdae smirks and reveals a bottle of wine. Baekhee makes a sickened face.

 

“No, ugh. No more drinking..” she whines as she heats up the skillet for the meat.

 

Jongdae laughs and puts it away. Having it out of sight actually makes the threat of a headache go away. “We don’t have to open it today.”

 

“Yeah, not for a while at least.”

 

 

When they’re seated in front of the television, eating dinner with the fixings for hot pot all laid out on the table, Baekhee feels genuinely happy for the first time since she’s been in Brazil. She blames her anxiousness of being in a new country and ultimately, herself for not embracing this trip as much as she would’ve liked. But the warm meal and shared laughter between her friends seems to melt those things away and this is something she hopes to do again soon.

 

-

 

 

‘Soon’ turns out to be the following Sunday because the four plan another dinner at Luhan’s. “We’ll cook for you girls tonight.” Minseok had said while Jongdae placed their bags of groceries on the counter. Luhan and Baekhee shared a knowing glance but left them to it. The Argentina versus Bosnia game is on and Minseok keeps walking back and forth from the kitchen to the television to see how Argentina is playing. “He has a huge man crush on Lionel Messi.” Luhan side whispers to Baekhee and points out said striker on the field.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter