Sand Garden

Jet Lag

Sand Garden

 

 

“Urgh!!” Sandara flops herself face down on her bed and continued to groan.

“What is wrong?” Seunghyun steps out of the bathroom in his pajamas.  They had immediately gone home after the short party they had at the local brewery. It was almost midnight but visibly Sandara is far from sleepy.

“Nothing.” She moves her head back and forth effectively rubbing her face on the mattress.

“Obviously it is something when you’re trying to erase your face on the sheets.” He nudges her body.  “I like you as is.”

She groans, again. Seunghyun opted to wait. It won’t be long. She is bound to crack with all her groaning and like a dying pig.  He shook his head, not a very pretty visual.

“My sister and her husband decided to have a break from each other.” She started flipping her arms and feet.

 “She said she isn’t happy with him.” And like a fish, she flipped herself upward and opened . “How can she say that?  She married him! Had a kid and built that pretty white picket fence with him. You saw them! They were so in love.  She was beautiful and HAPPY! How can she not be HAPPY?!” Sandara was already screaming.

Seunghyun stared at her for a good long while before he pulled her to him. The neighbors don’t need to know what is going on in her sister’s life. “Is that really the reason?” He held her close and wrapped his legs around her. 

“What else can there be?” She sniffs.  So she started crying and like a child began to rub her eyes.  “How can her love not make her happy?”

“Maybe she fell out of love?”

“How does one fall out of it?  She didn’t trip into his arms when she fell for him.” She was unyielding.  She will not lose her love.

How does one fall in love really? Was it at first sight? Or does it creep on you silently during the night and one day you just wake up madly in love with someone?  Seunghyun wonders.

“How did you fall for me?”

“With eyes wide open.” Is her quick reply.  It was one of those times in her life that she knew immediately when she had fallen. 

 

Sandara was 9 when she met Seunghyun, an over-weight boy with thick glasses and camouflage bag.  He was the new boy on their street.  The son of a military man and a primary school teacher. He was friends with a piglet and liked to sit alone with his comic books by the cluster of tree stumps that line the sand garden. He was a loner.

 

And Sandara would have none of it. She decided she wanted to be friends with him not caring whether he wanted to be friends with her.  So she sat with him by the stumps and would borrow his comic books and read them aloud.

And she was loud. It would go on for so long until Seunghyun lost his fats in high school and found himself a girlfriend.   His girlfriend was beautiful, all curves and porcelain skin, her laugher clear as a bell. While Sandara like the good friend that she is, would smile and continue to borrow his books to read aloud by the stumps as he would wait for his love. Only this time she carried a torch with her.

Seunghyun and the girl, who for the purpose of narrative she wishes to call Fiona because she feels, not out of spite mind you, that the girl is a green ogre princess, have finally hit their 3rd year mark.  By then he had shown a great talent in drawing and the arts.  And his lady-love a genteel face on stage and off. 

Sandara though could never understand her aversion toward the girl until she heard them fighting one day.

Seunghyun had waited for her again to finish rehearsals. Fiona would star as Maria for the campus production of The Westside Story and she was getting too chummy with her Tony.

“It was practice!”

“Kissing him at the hall was practice?!” He roared. Students nearly left their seats and walked away, fortunately they were at one of the smaller gazebos on campus.

“He is supposed to me my lover, Seunghyun.  I was supposed to kiss him everyday, several times a day!”

“On stage! During rehearsals and not in between classes, damn it!”

“Well you were supposed to tell your best friend to leave you alone! You aren’t her boyfriend to pester with every little childish thing she can think of.” She shot back.  Fiona was obviously angry; a greenish pallor had begun to show around and below her eyes.  Is she going to froth in the mouth?

Sandara thought. No she did not.  Seunghyun had leaned forward and stared at her.  And that was that, Sandara never saw the girl with Seunghyun again.

 

 

 

“Why did you leave Fiona?” She asked suddenly.  Seunghyun decide to humor her.

“Fiona?”

“Yes! That ogre of a girlfriend you had in high school! Why did you leave her?”

“Her name isn’t Fiona, sweetheart.”

“I don’t care. Answer me.” She pulls on his shirt.

“Because she wasn’t right for me.”

“How did you know?”

“Because she wanted to get you of my life and I wasn’t willing to.”

“You chose me!” she smiles at the knowledge.

“Obviously.” He tried to suppress his laughter. 

“What did you tell her that day when you fought? Seunghyun frowns at the question.  What day? 

“When you caught her kissing her leading man.”

Seunghyun finally smiles and said “That I will never marry her.”

“What?”  She was incredulous.

“She wasn’t happy with me apparently or she wouldn’t have strayed.”

“But it was just a kiss.”

“If I ever catch you kissing somebody else, I would be very upset.”

“Me too.”

"You know why so many married women are miserable?” He pulled her chin.

Sandara shakes her head. “Because they don't marry the BEST MAN." Seunghyun gave her a small kiss. 

“Can I be your best man baby? Marry me?”

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So yeah, if you've read this entry on the fanfest,  I hope this made sense more that we have e previous chapter. It does, right? Let me know what you think. Mwah hugs everyone!