Crackling

Jet Lag

Jet Lag

 

 

 

 

 

"Love knows no distance... what do you think does it mean?" Seunghyun pulled a bag of chips from his backpack and went ahead to open it.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“We are about to find out, aren’t we?”  He dropped a few chips on his mouth.  12 months… Seunghyun felt like crying instead he gnawed on corn chips. 

 

“Can’t you tone it down a little?”  His best friend glared at him with contempt.

 

“What?” he scoffed back. “These are called cracklings for a reason.” He made a big show of biting noisily on a chip.

 

“I am trying to finish my work here.” 

 

“It is already 9:30 pm.” He flipped his phone to display the time. “On a Saturday. Your work ended 4 hours ago.” He watched as she pushes the yellow chick Rilakkuma earphone to her ear. “I have been parked on the sofa for 2 hours and 41 minutes exactly and you haven’t said anything substantial to me since you walked in.”

 

“Seunghyun…”

 

“Sandara.”  At that point she knew he is upset.

 

“I don’t mean to ignore you but I really have to finish this…” she lifted a folder to show him some paper that means nothing to him.

 

“Is that really more important than me?”

 

“No, but I really have to learn this.” She tried to explain. “Jiyong…”

 

“That again…”he spat

 

“He is the musical director, we work together.” She cuts him.

 

“On Valentine’s Day.”

 

“It is not yet Valentine’s here.” She tried to appease him.  She turned the volume up and went closer to the monitor where a petulant Seunghyun stares back.   It has been 4 weeks since she left for London, almost 7 weeks when she learned she got a part on the musical, the role of a sickly girl pinning for the lead.  She is sick of pinning. And 8 whole weeks since Seunghyun asked her to be his girl.

 

“Where are you?” she took note of the heavy draperies behind him.

 

“In a hotel somewhere.” He said dismissively.   “Did he ask you out?”

 

“I said no.”

 

“But he made sure you are spending it with him.”  He sighed, a sigh so big he looked like he is about to cry.  “You and that stupid ex-boyfriend of yours will spend Valentine’s day together while I sulk here in my room. Alone.”

 

“You don’t have to. I will call you.” Sandara grinned.  Seunghyun can be so cute at times especially when he is jealous.

 

“No. You will be so tired by the time you get home you will forget about me.” He growled.

 

“I will not forget about you. Never.” Dara crossed her heart. She saw him pout. “I already miss your pouty kisses.”

 

“And I miss you.” Seunghyun moved to kiss her face on the monitor.  “I love you Ms. Park, please come home so I can marry you.”

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

 

It was quarter past 10 in the morning; call time is at 10:30am. Sandara clutched on her bag tighter and ran full pelt up towards the back door of the theatre.   They had stayed late last night talking and now she is late.  

 

She was breathless by the time she reached the landing and threw the door open.   Everyone was silent.  As Seunghyun predicted this will be a very long day.  The chorus was already preparing for their part; Dara slipped in and took the seat up front. 

 

“You are lucky not to get told off .” Marshall, the second lead, handed her a note “meet me at 10 Cases@ 7pm” it says “Oppa...” but he already left and joined the chorus in front.

 

It was 7:30pm when the director finally allowed them to go.  She is exhausted and way past starving. 10 Cases sounds lovely at this time.

 

“Need a lift?” It was Jiyong. Dara saw Marshall few steps down with a London taxi. “No I have a ride.” She took a mad dash to where her friend is and stole a spot.

 

She was asleep the entire drive to the restaurant but was awakened by the smell of flowers.  It was a beautiful arrangement of 2 dozens of peach roses.  She smiled at Fenton; he is one of the chorus guys, gay and an absolute hoot.  “What is going on?”

 

“I cannot believe you!  Your boyfriend is here and brought you this!” he practically squealed.  “He is hot as fayyyeeeerrrrr.”

 

“Boyfriend? What boyfriend?” she asked gobsmacked.

 

“The one you promised not to forget less than 12 hours ago.” Somebody replied from behind Fenton.

 

“Omo!” she cried and pushed her friend out of the way. “Tabi.” She practically jumped out of the cab. “Tabi!”

 

“What was it you promised me?” he pretended to recall something. “Right. That you will NEVER forget about me and that you would call.”

 

“I did call. But you weren’t picking up.” She droned on. “Why are you here? I mean what are you doing?”She saw his face drop.  “No. I mean…”

 

“You don’t want me here?”

 

“No.” she stopped and just grabbed him by the hand.  “I want you here.” So much.  “How did you get here?”

 

“I was in Paris for a conference with Marshall’s brother.”  She saw the brothers do some crazy fist bump. “I was driving him crazy with all my whining he literally dragged me on the train so I can see you.” He gave her a kiss. 

 

“ I missed you so much, Mr. Choi.” It was her turn to give him a kiss.  

 

“Oooyyy…” They heard Marshall’s protest. “There are singles in here.”

 

“Ignore him.” Dara was smiling.  “Thank you for coming.” And they shared another kiss.

 

“My baby is getting a little frisky.” He tugged her hair softly.

 

“Well it is Valentine’s Day baby, and you are here with me.”

 

 

 

A/N: Just a seed of inspiration. Less than 1000 words.  Thank you for reading.