Chapter 2

Incompletion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]TWO[/CONTENTID1]

I think one of the saddest things is when two people really get to know each other: their secrets, their fears, their favourite things, what they love, what they hate, literally everything, and then they go back to being strangers. It’s like you have to walk past them and pretend like you never knew them, never even talked to them before, when really, you know everything about them - quote (via gottagetbacktohogwartsbrb)

 

[CONTENTID2]"Don't you think this is brilliant, Yoona?" Mrs. Lee’s voice snapped me back from my lost thought. I looked up to see five faces around the table, waiting for my answer patiently.

"Sure." It was the only word that escaped from my lips as the small smile formed to show my politeness.

Without noticing, I spaced out and didn't even pay attention to our conversation. All I knew was that I woke up from my slumber after my long flight and my mom informed me that we would have a dinner with the Lee family. So here we were, sitting in the high class restaurant to enjoy dinner. We were choosing the date for the so-called prestigious wedding between Donghae and I.

"Sounds good!" my mom chimed in and I could see the satisfied smile appear on Mrs. Lee’s face as well.

I smiled one more time before I glanced at the guy across the table and saw him smile gently at me. Donghae looked good and attractive with that black collared shirt. To be his bride and walk down the aisle with him would be my luck.

Yeah, everything just seemed perfect to this point because I would finally make my parents happy by getting married to decent guy. And Donghae was like that one dream come true for my parents... and same for me. At least I hoped so.

"Yoona, are you okay?" I felt a touch on my shoulder. Mrs. Lee was looking directly at me and just then I realized that I had been daydreaming again. I had done it too many times lately and it surely needed to be stopped.

"Y- yeah, I am fine," I tried to convince her, but my answer was not enough because her expression changed drastically. My heart was beating fast because I had upset the older.

"Looked like you're spacing out." She stated the fact with an unpleasant face and I opened my mouth, ready to say my apologies when another voice stopped me.

"Mom, Yoona just spent thirteen hours on plane to fly from Oxford to Seoul. It's normal that she is still jet lagged," Donghae spoke for the first time tonight. "I told you to talk about this another time."

I was speechless when he looked at me with a pair of concerned eyes. Could he be any more caring? The way he acted, the way he spoke, never failed to impress me.

This was just another prime example of how kind-hearted he was He would always stand in front of me. He would make sure no one could hurt me; not even his mother, so what was I complaining for?

"It's okay. This is a good time to discuss and choose the date because I've been waiting for this wedding too." My voice sounded enthusiastic as I smiled at Donghae. I didn't lie when I told him that I've been waiting for the day though. I had wanted to set the date as soon as possible so I could lessen the anxiety that crept into me. The sooner we got married, the sooner this guilt would disappear.

And the answer seemed to satisfy everyone in the room because now they're smiling, especially the guy in front of me. The happiness in his eyes was so obvious that you did not want to be the one to dismiss it.

"It has settled then! Let's cheer to our happiness." My dad stood up and raised his glass, following with others as we were cheering for our happiness.

A little while, just a little while, and I would get married. This was a good first step on the road to possibly being happy without her ever again. That was something that should be happiness in my life when this heavy stone on my shoulders will be lifted and the loneliness that got to me would disappear.


 

After having dinner and setting the wedding date, Donghae insisted to drive me home. I could just go back home along with my parents, but I understood his persistence because it had been very long since we spent time together, so I did not protest and just got into his car.

We spent our night by talking about every little thing, enjoying the view of the city at night. I told him about my life at Oxford and he told me about his career as a young doctor. He looked happy with his job and I was genuinely happy for him. At the end of the night, he drove me home and kissed me a goodnight. This was a simple but nice date, I tried to tell myself.

 


The first week at Seoul went well. I enjoyed my time by doing things I haven't done while I was in the other country. I spent most of my time with my family and Donghae.

For Donghae, he turned into a sweeter guy since our wedding date was settled. He treated me like I was a princess, and our relationship kept getting better. Somehow, it set a little spark of hope in me that I would really find happiness in my life with him. Maybe it's time for me to really start my new life completely without being overshadowed by the past anymore.

I was getting used to talk about our wedding plans. He also told me about the best friend of him who worked as a wedding planner and I agreed to meet his friend. Since both of us were the only child from our families, we're really inexperienced about everything related to marriage. And we needed someone trustworthy to plan it out and make sure everything would run smoothly until the big day.

 

 

It was already noon when we reached the restaurant where he had made a reservation for our appointment with his friend. He was being very excited the whole way, and his excitement affected me as well. I was glad that we finally made a real move to the most important step of our life.

The restaurant itself was not too crowded and looked comfortable which was good because I preferred cozy restaurants to fancy ones. I didn't want to create any awkwardness when we discussed the wedding plans. Beside, we're not really here for eating.

My eyebrows raised in confusion as we walked to the reserved table. When Donghae said we were going to meet his best friend, I was thinking about a guy, but all I saw was a woman, sitting with her back faced us.

We walked over slowly and I started to feel uneasy. There was something about this woman, something I couldn't explain, that made me felt so nervous.

"Sorry to have you wait," Donghae apologized as the woman turned to greet us. And that's when I felt like someone was hitting my head so hard with a baseball bat. In front of me was standing the woman who always appeared in my dreams almost every night these past few years.

"You-" I exhaled with a mixture of disbelief and shock. I felt my head spin and I believed that I looked like a fool right now. How couldn't I? I haven't seen my ex-best friend ever since I moved to Oxford, and the fact that our last conversation didn't end well made it harder for me to look at her.

"Did you guys meet before?" Donghae looked at me in confusion but the young woman answered for me even before I could draw my breath.

"No, we never met before." Her soft voice was ringing softly in my ears, but her statement surprised me. The calmness of her voice almost convinced me that she never knew me. Or maybe she really had forgotten everything that ever 'happened' between us. Probably she had started with new life.

Suddenly I felt the painful sting in my chest. I couldn't get upset when she didn't acknowledge me, right?

"Alright Yoona, she is Kwon Yuri, the friend I told you. And she will be our wedding planner." Donghae introduced us and Yuri extended her hand for a quick hand shake and withdrew it before I have a chance to feel the softness of her hand but one thing was for sure: her hand was as cold as mine.

"Nice to meet you, Ms. Im."

I still couldn't fully digest this situation and my mind was not working properly when we sat down and Donghae already started to talk with Yuri who was facing us. I heard him mention the date of our wedding and how he did not mind about the cost or the overall budget for our wedding party. More than that, I didn't know the direction of their conversation because my eyes were only focused on the woman in front of me. I felt my inner turmoil grow because I felt almost overwhelmed by her presence.

Four years being apart, I knew that was not a short amount of time but this woman in front of me was very different from the 'girl' I knew. I had no idea how she had managed to transform from a teenager into this stunningly beautiful woman that made my heart go crazy just by staring at her. She really had nice body and a great self-confidence.

"Yoona?"

"Huh?"

Donghae's soft voice has me back on earth but I wasn't sure how to react because there were too many emotions battling inside me right now and he seemed to pick up on my situation. "Are you okay? You look so pale."

"I- I'm okay," I tried to convince him although my voice was giving away how nervous I actually was and I knew he wasn't satisfied with my answer. His attention was fully on me now, but I was saved by the sound of his cell phone before he could show his protective side.

"I'm sorry I have to take this..." Donghae excused himself before walking a few steps away from us, leaving me and Yuri in awk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter