Chapter 2

sidelines

Chapter 2

Youngji woke up to a strong arm shaking her shoulder.

"Youngji-ah, wake up, it's time for lunch. Surely you're hungry, right?"

Fluttering her eyes open to see Jackson wearing a very revealing top that exposed his sides and arms. Blushing she nodded and attempted to get up but being clumsy she fell down, right onto her ankle.

"Ah!" wailed Youngji quickly putting her hand over . She can't have hurt herself seriously right?

"H-hey you okay?" asked a worried Jackson, who was extending his hand out for her to grab.

"Yeah I think I'm fine...” Youngji reluctantly took his hand only to stumble down again.

"I think you've rolled your ankle. It'll probably hurt you to walk, I'll lift you up okay?" just as Youngji was about to refuse he picked her up by her waist and legs and carried her over to the bed again.

"One moment I'll bring the first aid kit, it shouldn’t be anything serious." mumbled Jackson.

As soon as he left Youngji patted her cheeks, to make sure they weren't too red. Before she knew it Jackson returned with an ice pack and a bell.

"It's okay, I can do it myself." said a really shy Youngji.

"No way, it was my fault so I'll fix it, its fine really." countered Jackson. Placing the ice pack on her ankle he propped her leg up with a spare pillow.

"I will go get your food and if you need anything just ring the bell, okay? Don't move an inch or Dr.Jackson will be angry" hissed Jackson earning a giggle from Youngji.

A few minutes later Jackson returned with a tray filled with food.

"Here, eat up, you missed lunch as well."

Once she thanked him, he left the room. Sighing she picked up her chopsticks and stabbed at the rice, only picking up a few grains at a time. She was going to have to get used to this whole chopsticks thing...

-

Youngji finally finished her food and removed the icepack off her leg, and stood up cautiously and was able to walk properly again, although she had a slight limp. Bouncing down the stairs she tilted her head to the right and saw some of her roommates outside on the grass. And with a closer look she spotted Jackson and Nana holding hands and spinning in circles, while laughing hysterically. Suddenly she felt a pang in her heart. Why was she jealous?

Deciding not to mope around, Youngji exited the house and joined everyone else outside, avoiding Jackson on purpose, hoping he was too infatuated with Nana to see her. Jackson however did see her and was curious about the condition of her foot. Quickly he left Nana's grasp scurried over only to startle the girl.

"I see your leg is better, want to play volleyball with us?" he asked earning a glare from Youngji.

"Sure, I guess"

Jackson grabbed her hand tightly and dragged her over to the net where Nana was waiting impatiently.

"Jackson-ah, you can't just leave me hanging here, how did I do on my flip? Good right?" wailed Nana.

"Sorry noona, you did really well, you're getting the hang of it pretty quickly. Maybe it's because you're so flexible and sporty!" responded Jackson, letting go of Youngji's hand in the process. Jackson then completely ignored the fact that Youngji was waiting for him to play with her and continued to talk to Nana, who was clearly enjoying his attention.

And there it was again, the hit of jealousy. Youngji knew Jackson liked sporty girls, which is why he'd taken a liking to Nana almost immediately. Scratching her head she picked up a stray ball and started bouncing it up and down. Soon she was completely immersed and was throwing it back and forth to the wall. Everything was fine until Youngji didn't catch the speeding ball and watched as it flung right into Nana's face who whined in pain.

"Unnie, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" inquired Youngji.

Nana simply looked away from her and strutted off, almost about to cry.

It's not like the ball is that hard anyway, Nana is such a drama queen. Youngji tried to stifle her laugh when Jackson gave her a dirty look.

"I hope you didn't do that on purpose..." he spat before running in Nana's direction.

It's like he forgot what happened before...of coarse he would side with her, what was I thinking? Feeling guilty she thought of a way to gain Nana's forgiveness. Maybe some chocolates? 

Youngji tiptoed through the living room and went un-detected by her other roommates. Stepping into the entrance she slipped on her sneakers and hustled outside. Letting the afternoon breeze hit her cheeks, Youngji dodged cars and soon found herself at a nearby florist. Chocolates may not be enough for a girl like Nana so flowers might be better. Picking a variety of roses she handed the bouquet to the sleepy shopkeeper. Thanking the woman, Youngji left the small shop and mindlessly wandered around the streets. Occasionally she peered into the windows, seeing something pretty and then proceeded to walk. Almost reaching the house she spotted a vendor selling cute little key chains, and there was one that had caught her eye. It was a chibi with black hair and a basketball jersey holding a snapback in his hand. Instantly it reminded her of Jackson. This could just redeem herself. Pressing the coins into the elderly man's hand she skipped off with the bouquet and key ring latched tightly around her fingers. Opening the door she slowly entered, hoping no one would see her.

Youngji grabbed a piece of paper scribbling a message to Nana, placing it messily onto the wilting flowers. The said girl was now approaching down the stairs, clutching Jackson tightly by her side. As soon as she saw Younji her expression turned sour but she did not say a word. Youngji hastily slid the key chain into her pocket before facing Nana.

"I got you some flowers, unnie. I'm really sorry about before..." mumbled Youngji.

She could feel herself drooping just like the sad roses in front of Nana's intense glare, and not to mention Jackson's mere presence.

Shrugging Nana grabbed the flowers and smiled a sickly sweet smile.

"Thanks. Youngji." whispered Nana, emphasising Youngji.

Youngji swore she heard Nana laugh as she turned and walked off, Jackson close by her. Those two are really close huh?

Just as she was about to retreat to her room she saw Sunny appear behind her.

"Youngji! Where have you been? I heard you hurt your foot before, what happened?" asked Sunny.

"Oh that. It was nothing." recalling her embarrassing fall with Jackson.  "Should I help you clean up?" Youngji changed the subject hoping Sunny wouldn't pry any longer.

"You're such a life saver, I need to head out to my schedule but everyone has gone to sleep or gone out, and the dishes are overflowing. I have to go, sorry for leaving you with the painful job of washing! I'll make it up to you, I swear!" Sunny pulled on a coat and waved to Youngji.

Hearing the front door close she looked at the sight of the kitchen, groaning at the piles of plates. Great. I'm going to be here for ages, why did I offer to help anyway? Taking a breath she began to scrub at the grimy table and placed dirty plates into the crowded sink.

Placing her earphones into her ears and tugging on some gloves she started to load the dishwasher and wipe down the surrounding area. Bobbing her head to 'Girls Girls Girls' she finished off the last dishes and grabbed a cloth to dry them off and place them into their designated places. With her music turned up high she didn't hear Jackson sneaking up behind her quietly. Suddenly he zapped her waist causing her to jump in shock. Youngji realized it was just Jackson and relaxed, pulling her earphones out. Slightly tensed being alone with him she continued to wash.

"Poor maknae doing the dishes all alone, here I'll help." said Jackson pushing Youngji over to make room "What are you listening to?"

Before she could switch the song Jackson placed the earbud into his ear, a smirk forming on his face as soon as he listened.

"Youngji-ah, I didn't know you were a fan...”teased Jackson nudging the girl in the ribs.

"Y-yah I'm not a fan, I just enjoy the song" protested a very red Youngji. She had to be careful of what she said as cameras were filming them 24/7 and if the editors forget to cut out a part she could be in big trouble.

"That's what they all say...anyway who's your favourite member?" asked Jackson, removing the device from his ears.

"Pfft I know it's definitely not you!" scoffed Youngji while drying off the last plate and pulling off her drenched gloves.

Jackson mocked a offended look and also removed his gloves.

"Oh now I remember what I came down here for, the noonas were going to start karaoke and they asked me to come and get you, wanna join?"

"Whatever.." mumbled Youngji following behind Jackson.

The two youngsters joined the older women upstairs, and much to Youngji's annoyance, Nana was present. Youngji took a seat next to Sunny who seemed drunk or just had drunk too much coffee. Luckily the cameras had been turned off upstairs so she could freely say and do as she wished. Jackson was pleading Guk Joo to do a duet with him and she continued to refuse, but gave up after Jackson did some 'aegyo'. Everyone fell down laughing at the sight of Guk Joo's dance moves and jokes, including Youngji. After a few more songs (and Nana's whining for Jackson to sit next to her) the unnies forced Youngji to dance to Mamma Mia, again. The first time was okay, since Jackson wasn't present, but now he was intently watching her and cheering her on. Crap.

Reluctantly she stood up and began to dance her heart out, just because the cheers were motivating her to continue. She felt so self-conscious suddenly, and this dance was slightly provocative. Shaking her hips in sync she ended her dance with the bang and took her spot next to Sunny , who got up to sing leaving Jackson next to her. Nana had fallen asleep practically on top of Jackson, but he didn't seem to mind. Eventually Nana decided to go to bed, which Youngji was very happy about.

"Wow maknae, I'd have never guessed you were such a goddess when it comes to dancing!" finally spoke Jackson.

Rolling her eyes she slapped his shoulder. Seriously when did this guy shut up?

The flashing lights of the TV screen soon dimmed and her head tilted until it found something to rest on. It was uncomfortable but she was exhausted and didn't really care.

Little did she know that she was sleeping on Jackson's shoulder...