Chapter 1

sidelines

Chapter 1

Rubbing her face, Youngji awoke to the burning sun shining directly onto her body. With a yawn she slowly lifted herself up to find a thin sheet on top of her and a small pillow resting underneath her head. Once she gained her consciousness Youngji realized she had slept on the sofa. Scratching her head she tried to recall the events of last night. Yesterday was her first day in the Roommate House and later on she was quite exhausted so she went upstairs to watch some TV, more specifically re runs of her own performance with her fellow KARA members. Everything after that was foggy so she assumed she fell asleep sitting there.

 Pulling the blanket of her slender legs Youngji sauntered over to her room, where she was meant to be sleeping during her stay here. Peering through the door she saw the beds of her roommates were empty. Had they already left? Thinking they had separate schedules Youngji quickly brushed her teeth and made herself more presentable, as she guessed that everybody else would be downstairs.

She thundered down the stairs in excitement for breakfast as her stomach kept on reminding her that it was hungry with its continuous growls. But to her surprise, the living room and kitchen were empty. And with further investigation she came to the realization that no one was home. Why hadn't she been woken up if they left all together? Glancing over to the clock she realized it was already 2 pm. Luckily she had no schedules or she'd be be in big trouble.

Sulking, Youngji stomped over to the sparkling kitchen and grabbed a bowl filling it up with some generic cereal and splashing milk, which proceeded to spill onto the table during her clumsiness. Ignoring the mess she'd made Youngji slumped into a chair at the dining table and poked at her soggy breakfast. She had lost her appetite now and all the excitement from before was gone. Eventually she finished her meal and cleaned up the dripping milk.

Quickly she ran upstairs again to change and once done she returned to the same sofa that she had slept in. Sighing she plopped down into the soft seat and decided to continue the Lego castle she had started the previous day. Just as she was about to place the final block to her masterpiece the doorbell rang. Making her way down she answered the door to find all her roommates laughing and smiling, when her eyes finally landed on Jackson, who currently had his arm around Nana's pale neck. Hastily she averted her direction to Sunny.

"Where did you guys go?"

"Just over to the park nearby, sorry for not taking you, we nudged you but you refused to move so we decided not to bother you and went along" responded a cheerful Sunny.

Youngji mumbled a response and ran back to her original spot on the sofa. 2nd day here and she already felt left out, an outcast. Seeing everyone bonded made her look silly and unwanted. After finishing her Lego creation she wasn't sure what to do. Lying her head on the arm of the sofa she stared at the ceiling, daydreaming. Soon after she heard footsteps climbing up the stairs. Slowly she turned her body to see Jackson grinning at her.

"Hey sleepyhead!" he screeched then turning his head to the building of blocks Youngji had just finished. “Nice, did you make this?"

Nodding Youngji looked down at her feet to avoid talking to him. Jackson was observing the Lego instructions and went to fiddle with the blocks, resulting in breaking the castle in half.

"Crap! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to do that."

Youngji was dumbfounded. Almost about to cry she scurried into her room, hoping Jackson wouldn't follow her. Much to her dismay he did.

"Sorry, I'll fix it for you...are you mad at me?" whispered a now guilty Jackson.

Just when she was about to respond she saw a figure behind him accompanied by a high pitched voice.

"Jackson, can you teach me how to flip?" said Nana who was batting her eyelashes in a flirty manner.

Youngji rolled her eyes internally as she watched Jackson nod and run after the slim girl without hesitation.

Typical. Guys liked girls like Nana. She was pretty, athletic and outgoing, allowing her to have any guy she wanted. Not to mention she was the epitome of feminine. Youngji however viewed herself as boring, timid and awkward. She had barely any charm and came off as too confident, putting off men. Pushing her body back onto her stiff bed she fell into a light slumber yet again.