Chapter 5

sidelines

Chapter 5

After days of schedules, Youngji finally got time to rest properly but she kept thinking that she had forgotten something important, something that meant a lot to her. Unsure she picked herself up from her position on the couch and decided to look around her room, hoping her memory would come back. While pushing her belongings aside she saw her snapback that she had recently bought.

That's when it clicked. Youngji had forgotten to give Jackson the keychain she personally went out to get. One problem, though. Youngji had no clue where she had placed it and not only was her memory bad but she has always been a messy person. In a desperate attempt to find the keychain she knocks over Nana's photo frame, which in result, shatters to shards on the beige floor. Startled, Youngji clumsily picks the shards up but misses a few stray glass pieces. With quick thinking, she found another picture frame and replaced the photo, praying Nana wouldn't find out. When she swears she hears footsteps, Youngji steps back quickly, placing her foot on a tiny piece of glass, creating a speck of blood on her foot. Hopping downstairs to get a band aid she sees Jackson, Gukjoo playing a game of Uno while Nana watches on, stuck to Jackson's side. Interested in playing too, Youngji snatched the packet and pulled out a band aid. Peeling the non-adhesive side of the band aid she quickly placed it on the wounded area. Still hopping, Youngji waddled over to the others, wanting to join in on the fun.

"Can I play too?" inquired Youngji.

"Sure, just wait till we finish this game, you can play in the next round." replied Gukjoo.

Nodding, Youngji settled down on a pillow and watched intently as the game was played. After a heated match of Jackson yelling random words in English and Nana pretending to watch the game (when she actually was staring at Jackson), Gukjoo paused the game to get some refreshments. Jackson sat upright and that's when Youngji noticed something dangling on the side of his shorts. At a closer look, she saw the same key chain that she had purchased just a few days ago. How had he got a hold of the keychain?

"Hey, w-where did you get that?" said Youngji, pointing at Jackson's shorts.

"Oh this? I got it from Nana noona, its cute right?"

Nana? She must have picked it up and claimed it as hers. Youngji was fuming, when she had gotten the keychain she had shown Gukjoo and Nana was there as well, so Nana knew it was Youngji's and purposely gave it to Jackson instead. Youngji tilted her head to Nana's direction and the said girl was smiling back at Youngji, the sickliest sweet smile that Youngji swore almost said 'he's mine now'. Youngji knew if she said it was actually her who had gotten it for him, he wouldn't believe her. Tapping her chin thoughtfully she decided not to take revenge and instead get him something even better.

Gukjoo returned from the kitchen with a tray full of snacks and a bottle of soda in the other hand.

"Ok let's resume playing!" cheered Gukjoo.

The next match was Nana and Youngji. Great. Surprisingly Nana was quite good and kept pulling out cards that beat Youngji's. Soon after, Nana had no more cards left and won the game. Huffing, Youngji grabbed a cookie and aggressively bit a part off, sprinkling fragments of biscuit on the freshly cleaned floor. Once finished the initial cookie, Youngji went for another until she was oblivious of her violent eating habit.

-

10 cookies, 2 cups of lemonade and a tub of strawberry yoghurt later, Youngji's poor stomach had enough and she flopped to the ground with a thud. The remaining 3 were still playing various games, not noticing Youngji's existence. Sighing, the said girl pulled her bloated body of the now grotty floor and headed over to the front door. Sliding her shoes on and grabbing a coat she twisted the doorknob, stepping out into the chilling breeze. Shivering, Youngji zipped her jacket up quickly and walked in the direction of a nearby park.

 Placing her small hands in the pockets of her jacket she realized she forgot to take her phone. Slumping, Youngji stared down at her feet, wondering what she should get for Jackson. When she lifted her head she saw a shop that made life-size cardboard cut outs of anyone you wanted, as long as you gave them a picture. Youngji pushed the glass door, imitating a small ring from a bell as she stepped into the tiny store.

"Hello dear, what can I do for you?" asked a sweet elderly women, her eyes creasing as she gave a hearty smile.

"I was wondering if I could get a cardboard cut-out..." whispered Youngji, smiling back.

"Of course, do you have a picture I could work off? If you want you can print one out using our printer."

Nodding, the young girl made her way to the dusty computer sitting in the corner of the store, beside an equally neglected looking printer. She tapped a few words in before selecting a nice picture of Jackson and then printed it off. Once she handed it to the woman, she sat down on one of the chairs. Wordlessly the old lady got to work, furiously pressing button onto a big machine which took up much of the space in the tiny store. Restless, Youngji intertwined her fingers before turning to the grotty window, realizing it was getting real dark.

"Here you go dearie! Sorry for taking so long, the silly machine was not co-operating today. That will be $15 then."

Pressing a few bills in the lady's hand, Youngji thanked her and left with the cut out in both hands. It had only been a few minutes since she had started walking when a drop of water fell on her head.  Looking up she was startled to see that it had begun to rain. Youngji was in a frantic state now, because she couldn't have the cut out get wet. She quickly thought up an idea and took shelter under a big tree. Placing the cut out carefully on the ground, she took off her big raincoat and draped it around the cut out, making sure not to bend it.

Positioning it in her arms she set her eyes on her destination before running with all her might. Big mistake. By the time she reached the share house she was huffing and puffing, and not to mention she was absolutely drenched. Approaching the door she realized her back was sticky with sweat. Ew, she needed to have a shower as soon as she got home for sure.

A worried Sunny opened the door, her face immediately dropping once she saw Youngji's state.

"Yah! Where have you been?! I was so scared, you could've told someone! Get in before you catch a cold silly!"

While putting her muddy shoes away she heard Jackson's voice in the living room. How would she get the cut out past them, without him noticing? Unsure, she quickly hid it behind her back and ran up the stairs, avoiding detection. Sighing in relief once she reached her room, Youngji placed it in the corner and looked at it properly, and she had to admit Jackson was really good looking.

"Youngji? Where were you?"

Flipping the cut out away, Youngji turned at the sudden male voice. Her eyes widened at the sight of Jackson.

"Uh-h um I.. I was taking a walk" mumbled Youngji.

"For 2 hours?"

"Y-Yeah" stuttered the flustered girl.

Jackson approached her to which she stepped backwards, intimidated by his close proximity. He gently placed the underside of his palm on her forehead before frowning in displeasure.

"You're burning up and it doesn't help that you are still wet. I'll make some soup for you. Change out of those clothes, okay?"

Youngji was about to protest but he had already left the room. At least he didn't notice the massive cut out of himself laying sadly on the floor. She really did not want to listen to Jackson's orders but she had more common sense that to be stubborn, considering she probably already had caught a fever.

Peeling off her soiled clothes, Youngji stepped into the shower, her tense muscles relaxing at the touch of hot water. After a quick wash she towelled herself off and put on a fresh pair of pyjamas. She knew Jackson was waiting for her so she made her way downstairs.

"Ah it's about time! Here's your soup. Eat it before it cools down."

Taking the steaming bowl from him, Youngji gingerly scooped a spoon of the orange liquid. A soon as the mysterious substance hit her tongue she realized it was pumpkin, her favourite. Within minutes, she had engulfed the entirety of the bowl and almost asked for seconds when she saw that Jackson had only made enough for one serve. Now energized from the food, Youngji retrieved the cutout and shyly approached Jackson.

"Um this is to express my gratitude for...” Jackson hadn't really done anything significant, yet she had still gotten him this present for no reason. "Well whatever, just take it. Since you always say that you're short, I asked the store owner to make it big and I carried it all the way so you better like it."

"Woah you got this for me? Thanks Youngji!" said Jackson, scanning the cutout before ruffling Youngji's hair. "If you really went to that effort for me I guess I should thank you properly."

Without warning, Jackson stood up and gave Youngji a big hug.

"You're really sweet Ji, I'll get you a cool present next time as well!" whispered Jackson into Youngji's ear.

Youngji ignored that Jackson had called her Ji as an endearing way to abbreviate her name but even once he removed himself from their embrace she still couldn't fathom that they had just hugged.

Embarrassed, Youngji ran back to her room and jumped on her bed, screaming into her pillow. She had a huge crush and she wasn't sure how to deal with it.

_

yeah I did not update for a very long time because I am lazy but here it is! I know it's short and lame but I promise there will be more action soon, please give me some ideas on what to do for future chapters. also thanks for 350+ subscribers, even though I did not update for over a month! lastly, I would like to mention that I will be deleting the past author's notes as I update everytime because I think it will look better without author notes. thanks for all your support :)