Chapter 1

The Wood Elves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun shone brilliantly through the the canopy of green above, the light escaping it illuminating the dead leaves that littered the forest floor. All manner of woodland creatures scurried through the plants below, going about their daily routine. Songbirds chirped happily at each other, creating the most beautiful melody. The sound of rushing water could be heard from beyond a grouping of trees, where a river filled with aquatic life flowed down the slope of the ground. Eunji, a Wood Elf who inhabited this woodland with her Elven tribe, was perched on one of the branches of a Wynch Elm, taking in her surroundings.

 

She had long hair that was the color of the scenery around her; a few sections of it put into thin braids. Her ears were narrowly pointed and thin with three gold piercings in each lobe. She wore brown leather vambrances on each of her wrists and carried a long bow with a quiver of arrows attached to a belt at her waist. Despite her soldierly appearance, she was not rigid with the tension of battle, but calm and content with the tranquility the forest brought her.

 

A cerulean and gold butterfly flew near her and she held an inviting hand towards it. The colorful insect landed on her outstretched finger, completely unafraid. She kept her hand still, watching the slow movements of the butterfly's shimmering wings. The sunlight hit its scales perfectly, making them gleam gloriously. Even though she had lived in the woods all her life, its beauty still continued to take her breath away.

 

"Eunji!" A cheerful voice shouted from below. The unexpected noise startled both butterfly and Elf; the former taking flight immediately. It fluttered its wings as fast as it could to reach the protection of the nearest oak tree's leaves. Eunji turned her head sharply and looked down, her dark green tresses whipping through the air and landing over her right shoulder. A tall Elf with white-blonde hair stood beneath her, his hand resting on his bow as he smiled broadly up at her.

 

"Suho, you shouldn't sneak up on me like that." She said, mock-glaring at him. Suho was her oldest and most trusted friend. He was exceptionally tall, even for an Elf, being seven inches taller than her at 6'7". He was clothed in the traditional hues of brown and green, making his pale hair all the more striking. His bow was in his right hand, the quiver filled with arrows slung over his shoulder.

 

"You shouldn't make it so easy." He teased, moving closer toward the tree she occupied. "There is something I wish to show you." Eunji gripped her own bow tightly as she jumped from the tree, landing with her feet on the ground.

"What is it you wish to show me?" She asked curiously.

"You'll see." He said, turning to walk away after delivering his enigmatic statement. With no other interesting alternative, Eunji hurried to catch up to him.

 

The fallen leaves crunched softly beneath their feet as they walked between the trees. A dryad peered out from behind her bush as she heard them approach. Her green skin and mossy hair camouflaged her well against the foliage. As they passed her Juniper bush, she smiled timidly and waved before disappearing into the depths of vegetation that was her home. Dryads, while very shy,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter