DANGER: DEEP WATER

Horror Stories from Seoul I

DANGER: DEEP WATER

 

 

He remembered when they were riding in the sidecar through sandy and empty spaces of countries that were unfamiliar to him. They were escaping from their village in China, to look for a better future for Xian and Zhoumi. Although they weren’t a real family, after Xian’s parents died, Zhoumi was like an older brother for him. One of the elders in their village, who everyone’s called Uncle Shū, took care of the boys.

One night, when the villagers were sound asleep, Uncle Shū quietly lead the boys over the hill. There was a car waiting for them, and from that moment on their life as illegal immigrants began.

 

 After the murderous 500 miles or so journey, they had been dropped off in the woods near a lake. It was a tourist area, but not really popular. For a few days the could stay there and take a rest without the worry of being caught.

The man who was helping them, Mr. Park, was a chubby, older man with red cheeks and bold forehead. He couldn’t speak chinese but for Xian he sounded like a good man.

He lead them to a woody shed that was standing in the middle of the forest. The large lake provided it to be isolated from civilization. The bushes were really thick and there weren't any boats to cross the lake with. By the path that led to the lake there was a sign, but Xian nor Zhoumi couldn’t read it. Uncle Shū translated it for them. “ Danger: Deep water ”. Mr. Park said that the boys weren't allowed to swim in the lake, since the depths were really dangerous here. He then caressed Xian’s head and patted Zhoumi’s back.

The three runaways were watching as Mr. Park’s car was disappearing among the trees.

 

 Zhoumi and Xian were playing on the lake’s shore.

Sometimes they saw single tourists on the other shore. But even if they’d have wanted to they wouldn't have been able to communicate with other people.

One day, Xian went to the shore by himself, since Zhoumi stayed with Uncle Shū to help him with something. The resolute boy pretended that he was a chinese emperor and was building a mud-kingdom for his minions. He gathered some sticks, rocks and fallen leaves; constructed a delicate little houses with bark and a defensive wall with mud. While talking to himself, roleplaying all of the people from his kingdom, he placed little leaf-boat on the water and gently set it in motion. Rapt in his own thoughts, he cocked his head up when he heard a sudden splash in the water. On the other side of the shore stood a boy, a few years older than him. He was wearing a red t-shirt, shorts and black and white trainers. Like hypnotized, he looked straight at Xian with his mouth slightly open.

Xian also looked at him. It was impossible to hide now. He put his hand up and waved shyly. The boy from the other shore responded with the same thing, and Xian thought Maybe he’s not bad? They were standing like this, awkwardly, with no idea what to do with this situation. The boy in the red t-shirt jerked hesitantly and turned away, leaving.

Xian turned around as well and rushed through the woods. If Zhoumi found out, he’d be so mad at him!

In the evening they were sitting on the floor in their shelter; the oil lamp in the center filled the room with a warm light. Mr. Park had given them some food supplies.

Uncle Shu made an instant noodle soup. It tasted weird, much different than home-cooked  one. It was also more spicy.

“ Is something bothering you, Xiao Xian?” asked Uncle Shū when he caught the little boy gazing off into the distance. Xian shook his head. He was thinking about the boy he had met earlier. What had he been doing there? What was his name? Did he like playing football?

 

After dinner they went to sleep. Xian placed himself between  Zhoumi and his Uncle. The older boy covered the elder and kid with a blanket. They needed to stay warm more than him.  He stared on the ceiling, thinking about the future. In the foreign country, without money and knowing the language; they were free but were they going to be alright? He wanted to go to school like other children. Have a cosy house and a fridge filled with food. To feel safe, that was his biggest wish.

 

 On the other day, both boys were collecting dry wood for a campfire. Zhoumi was about to call Xian to go back when he noticed the little boy was waving. He looked in the direction Xian was facing and his face went pale. A boy in a red t-shirt was waving back at them.

He threw away the wood and quickly pinned the younger boy down to the ground.

“What are you doing, stupid!” he hissed. If someone would see them, he could’ve reported it to the police. All the hell they’ve been through would go down the drain.

“But he’s a friend.” Xian protested and tried to break away.

“What?” Zhoumi missed to hold the boy. He watched in terror when Xian once more waved at the stranger.   

“Come on, I’ll show you” the little boy encouraged his cousin.

The boy and Xian were waving at each other, getting more and more cheerful. The boy in red was doing exercises; jumping jacks and bends and Xian was imitating him. That was something along the lines of a children’s play – the only one they were capable of. Zhoumi stood on the side, observing the boys. To tell the truth, he would have loved to participate too, but still felt it was too dangerous. He nagged the younger one so they’d go back to the shelter. They picked up the wood and Xian said goodbye to his new “friend”.

When they were heading back, a cold silence fell between them.

“Are you mad, gege?” Xian asked innocently. Zhoumi furrowed his brows.

“No, but you shouldn’t be so careless. If they caught us they are going to send us back to China, and then we’ll be departed. It’s too early for making friends. I promise you, you will have as many friends as you want. But for now we must be vigilant.”

 “I understand, gege.” whispered Xian. „Can I go there tomorrow, one last time?” He asked, trying not to cry in front of the older boy. Zhoumi caressed his head and mumbled his consent.

 

 When they were sitting in a circle, with an oil lamp in the centre, eating hot noodle soup from the can, Uncle Shū told them the news:

“Tomorrow night we’ll be moving. Mr. Park will drive us to the town nearby.We can stay there till we’ll stand on our own feet.”

“ But isn't the police going to find out and get us?”

“Mr. Park worked out the visas for us. As long as we have them, we’ll be safe.” Said the elder man with a spark of hope in his eyes.

Zhoumi was staring at the ceiling again. Everything was going so smoothly. He started to plan his future, where anything was possible.

 

 When Xian and Zhoumi reached the lake the other day, the boy wasn’t there yet. Xian was worried; he really wanted to say goodbye. After a few minutes of waiting the boy appeared, holding a ball under his arm. He waved vigorously and placed the ball on the ground. The boys jerked, not sure what he was about to do. The kid took a big swing and kicked the ball over the lake. It was flying unvarying, leading by boys’ sight and landed almost on the target, the other side of the shore. Xian moved a step to fish the ball out, but Zhoumi stopped him.

“I’ll do it. You stay here.” He said and started to ford.

When he made it to the ball, the water was at the level of his thighs. He reached for it and then the sunlight was suddenly covered by a huge shadow.

 From the lake the monster had risen. It was pale, slimy, resembling a hybrid of a spider and a squid. Outsized, like a house with tentacles, it caught Zhoumi’s leg and pulled him up. The monster opened its mouth, full of pointy teeth and pushed his victim inside. It ate Zhoumi alive.

 

 The chaos prevailed. Xian was screaming. Uncle Shū, who heard his adoptive nephew’s voice, ran out of the woods and struggled to take the scared boy out of there. Behind him, Mr. Park ran, holding a rifle. He took aim of the monster but it was all too late.

The monster plunged into the water with a loud splash.

 

 They were riding in silence. Xian’s eyes were swollen from crying; Uncle Shu mouth was no more than thin line. They were shocked by what happened. Mr. Park also was stunned. Who would’ve known that the lake was dangerous because of a monster that lived under it’s surface.