The Tunnel

Horror Stories from Seoul I

The Tunnel

 

 

It was already a week since the last time Donghae had been seen. No one knew what had happened, where he had gone or why he had disappeared. His parents were in despair. Mrs Lee was crying the whole time while being in the headmaster’s office while Mr. Lee protectively placed his hands on her shoulders. The headmaster consoled them and promised the school's support in their search. When they were leaving, Hyukjae fallowed them with his eyes. He felt sorry for them. Donghae was his best friend.

 

He was walking down the railways with his hands in his pockets, once in a while kicking a random stone. He was trying to remember every detail of the day when they were playing football at the schools’s field. Everything had been looking fine. So what had happened to him?

On the railways next to the boy a train slowly passed by, rattling and chuffing and spreading the smell of oil. The sun on the horizon was setting down, turning the sky purple.

Hyukjae stopped and turned around, changing his course. He decided to find Donghae by himself. But first, he would pay Donghae’s parents a visit.

He went by the school field and headed down the lane his friend usually was choosing. It was already dark, the field was deserted and quiet, just as the school. He walked to the train station and waited about fifteen minutes for his train.

 

They had met in elementary school when Hyukjae had moved here from another town. Hyuk had been so skinny and pale; his limbs looking like sticks. He would always have bruises on his knees and a bit of a wild look in the eye that was making him look reckless. Donghae was short; the clothes he wore were usually too big. His fringe was too long and his facial expression always made one wonder if he was going to cry. In fact, he was a crybaby, but not when Hyukjae was around.  There was an unexplained connection between them that always made them bump into each other.

“You’re so skinny. You look like an anchovy.” Donghae once said and laughed. They were swinging on the swing that was making a funny squeaking noise.

“And you look like a dinosaur. With your pointy teeth. Rrrrr!” Hyuk made a face and Hae answered with a similar one.

Those had been beautiful times.

 

But now they weren’t kids anymore. Hyuk got off the train and walked for a while to Donghae’s place.

The door was opened by his friend’s mom who was surprised to see Hyukjae at this hour. He lived in a completely different neighborhood. For a moment they were standing in silence before Hyukjae finally figured out what to say.

“Umm… I’m sorry for coming here so late, but… “ he hesitated.

“Yes…?”

“Well…, I would like to see Donghae’s room. If it’s not too big of a big trouble.” he added quickly.

The woman looked at him in surprise but agreed and let him in. It was natural for her that her son’s friend wanted to see his room. Maybe he was missing him that much.

     

After taking off his shoes and bowing to the lady’s husband Hyukjae went up to the next floor. He knew the house very well, since he had often been around. Mrs. Lee told him she hadn't been moving anything in her son’s room. And indeed, the bedding was still messed up and school books were lying on the desk. Donghae’s clothes were hanging on the chair and his backpack also was there. It seemed like Donghae had just been here a minute ago.

Hyukjae looked around and touched a few knick-knacks on the shelf. He wanted to light up the night light but without the intended effect. The light bulb must have burned out, he assumed. Then he noticed the gold medal lying on the floor. The nail was still in the wall so it was impossible for medal to fall on its own. Did Donghae knock it off himself?

Hae’s mom came into the room and looked around like she was remembering good old times when her son had still been there. She looked older then she actually was.

“Something has changed in this room. I don’t exactly know what…but I can feel it.” She suddenly spoke in a quiet voice. “The atmosphere.” She turned her head so she could hide her tears. Hyukjae sighed and said:

“ I know you’re worried, mom, but I’m sure everything will be fine. I can find him. And I will.”

Mrs. Lee hugged him and patted his hair. She was happy Donghae had such a good friend.

“Please, dear, be careful. I’m afraid this is not a simple disappearance we’re dealing with. This is something much, much darker.” She whispered and gazed into the boy’s eyes to assure him she meant it. And he believed her.

 

    

While on his way back he thought about what he was supposed to do. Without any clues or more information he found himself in a bind. But he had promised Donghae’s mother he’d find him. I’m not going to give up so easily, he thought.

 

 

Han Sunhwa, a freshman student in Seoul’s High School loved to ride her bicycle. Everyday she was putting her school bag into the basket and by pedaling she was making her way. The school wasn’t so far but in winter she would use train instead.

But now, when the summer began, the weather was perfect for a ride. In her school uniform and hair tied in a ponytail she was cycling through the flowered lots and small woods.

When she was near the old tunnel entrance she noticed a cat seated next to the road. The girl stopped and cooed at it. It was black with a white tummy and a mark on its right fore-paw. It was looking at Sunhwa for a while, but when girl leaned to pet it, the cat got up and scampered away. Sunhwa pouted and got off her bike. She followed the cat which was gracefully walking to the old tunnel. It disappeared in the darkness and Sunhwa stopped at the entrance. A sudden thrill overwhelmed her and she instantly wanted to run away from there. But then, in a glimpse of an eye, two yellow lights appeared.

“ Kitty?” she asked, thinking she saw the cat’s eyes. She heard a meow and uncertainly stepped into the tunnel.

Now she saw the lights ceaselessly and it felt like they were calling her. The entrance was slowly decreasing behind her back.

 

 

“Didn’t she come back?” Han Siwoo found his mother seated at the kitchen table with her fingers entwined.

“No. It’s half-past eleven already. The teacher said she went back home and she’s not in any friends house.” Mrs. Han looked at her son with tears in her eyes.

Sunhwa had dissapeard.

 


Happy Halloween Everyone! Isn't it a good day to update your horror story? Haha!

How do you plan to spend Halloween?