Honey, I'm home!

Horror Stories from Seoul I

Lee Soonkyu was a cheerful and attractive young lady. Her beautiful bright smile was like an energy strike that always added some strength into ones soul. Despite her short height she was pretty spunky and outgoing. When she had dyed her hair blonde and then cut it short, everyone agreed that her surname “Sunny” fitted her best, and so she became their sweet Sunny,  always willing to help and bring some sun into their lives.

 

It all had changed when had she married Cho Kyuhyun.

 

He was a highly educated man, with both brains and looks, from a good family. Everything was looking perfectly fine. The newly married couple had bought a big mansion in the suburbs, with a terrace and garden. It had old-fashioned furniture and many expensive bibelots. Sunny didn’t have to work since Kyuhyun had a very well paid job. He would leave for work every morning when she was seeing him off from the porch. The rest of the day she would spend reading books, taking care of the house and cooking dinner.

But Kyuhyun wasn’t as perfect as it seemed. In fact he was very strict and didn’t like any objection. He would become more and more cold every day so she could see him no longer as her knight in shining armor but as her hangman.

Living in such a relationship was very depressing for her. With each day she became more sad and sometimes dreamed away. Her light was slowly fading and she could feel it.

 

One day she was preparing dinner when Kyuhyun came back from work.

“Honey, I’m home.” he said while taking off his shoes in the corridor. His voice was strong but smooth; she used to love to listen to him singing, but he hadn't done this for a long time now.

They sat at the table and began to eat. An awkward silence reigned and Sunny started to feel uncomfortable.

“So…how was your day? Did anything unusual happen?” she asked quietly.

“Nothing much.”

“Well, I’ve gotten a letter from my sister. She said she’ll have an important exam and can’t sit still, cuz’ she’s so excited. She also invited us for her graduation party. Maybe we could-“

“You’re talking too much.” He cut her off.

 

The rest of the meal they spent in silence and then they parted company. Kyuhyun was at his office smoking a cigarette when Sunny knocked on his door. The office looked a lot like a library, there was a numerous count of books and a dark, wooden desk in the middle. An old classy lamp was spreading warm light so the room looked comfy. On the wall next to the door there was standing a huge, old clock, a family keepsake from Kyuhyuns’ grandmother.

Kyuhyun stood there looking at the clocks’ dial. Sunny went in. She wanted to convince him to go to her sisters’ graduation party, although she knew Kyuhyun wasn’t really a party animal.

“I don’t want to go. And I don’t want you to go either. Your place is in this house, next to your husband,” he said harshly.

“ But she’s my sister. My family. And yours too.”

“No. We’re not going.”

“ Why are you like this? Sweetheart, what’s wrong?” she put her hand on his shoulder but he shook it off. He said he needed to work and asked her to leave, so she did as she was told. She closed the door and turned to their bedroom. Suddenly she felt very tired, so she laid down on the bed and fell asleep.

A few hours later a sudden noise woke her up. Sunny heard Kyu swearing and stumbling in the corridor.

She peeked out of the room and saw her husband standing there, holding the banister rail. He was trembling and muttering something. Apparently he was drunk. You sure were busy, she thought. She slowly approached him from behind with the intention of bringing him to bed, but Kyuhyun fought back, tried to break away from her and groaned angrily.

“ Get away from me, you damn bi-“ he took a swing with his fist but he was to drunk and missed Sunnys’ face. She stood there in horror, afraid of what he would do next. The man had turned around to face Sunny. With an insane look in his eyes and messy hair he looked like a mad man. Suddenly he descended on Sunny, spitting some swear words at the same time. The woman screamed and tried to protect herself, and they started to tussle. Sunny used a moment of inattention of her husband and pushed him away with all the strength she had. She completely forgot about the stairs behind him, and all she could do was watching how Kyuhyun was falling down the stairs and landing down in the corridor.

 

After calming down from the shock, Sunny, still shivering a little, struggled to her feet and went down the stairs where Kyuhyun was lying. His head was turned in a strange angle and a small puddle of blood appeared underneath it. His eyes were wide open, but he wouldn’t move as Sunny gently shook his arm.

What have I done, she thought, I’ve killed my husband!

“Oh my God!” the realisation of this deed struck her like a bucket of cold water. She walked up and down the corridor crying and mumbling God's name. In a second she had become a murderer. But what was she supposed to do now, she was asking herself over and over.

 

Kyuhyun was much taller and heavier than Sunny so she had to use all her strength to pull him to the garden at the back of their mansion. It was still dark and the high hedge was growing thick enough so the neigbours wouldn’t see her. From the garden shed she took the shovel and dug a hole into the ground. She shoved the man's body in and covered it again with dirt.  

Tears were running down her face. She didn’t mean to hurt him, and now she wondered what she’ll say to people. They’ll surely look for him.

Sunny was unhappy and frightened.

 

After mopping up the blood from the corridor, she took a long shower, but most of that time she stood under the flowing water and thought what had just happened. She tried to come up with some story that she would tell the police.

It was already too late for getting to bed again so she made herself a coffee; she wasn’t hungry, though. Sunny the TV and stared at it without any interest.

After few hours the telephone rang; it was a call from Kyuhyun's work.

“Well, I haven’t seen husband since yesterday evening. I thought that he already left for work.” Sunny tried to sound as calm and surprised as she could.

“That’s strange. Well, thank you, Mrs. Cho. Please, tell him to call us back.” The employer disconnected and Sunny thought that maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe she would be better without him. Abruptly she felt much calmer. Like somebody would take off the huge burden from her shoulders. “The last time Kyuhyun and I have seen each other was yesterday evening,” she repeated and slowly started to believe it herself. All she had to do now was convincingly playing the role of the worried wife.

 

In the evening it all looked so distantly; like a last night's nightmare. Sunny was in the kitchen washing the dishes when suddenly she heard the front door being opened. She frowned; was it her mother-in-law paying them an unexpected visit?

Then she heard it. The voice that she had used to love so much. Sunny felt like a tornado was storming through her head. She heard heavy footsteps in the corridor, and the voice repeated again “Honey, I’m home.”