The Concert

Worlds Apart

There wouldn't be a sky full of stars
If we were all meant to wish on the same one.

 

Soundlessly, she slipped the figure under the comforts of her large black umbrella and stood next to the figure silently. At first glance, Reina has mistaken the figure for a girl because ever since her arrival, she only spotted girls in sight. But when she reached nearer to the figure, she realised he was almost a head taller than she was, standing at a height of at least 1.8m and that was when she realised he was a boy. She sighed, wondering if that boy actually broke up with his girlfriend because of EXO which was what happened to her most of her girlfriends back in high school.


Being a head taller than her, she had to raise her umbrella higher to cover his body fully and also not hit the umbrella on his head. They were standing there for a good 10 minutes in silence and the boy did not move an inch, furiously typing on his phone. He was about to speak, spinning around and was shocked that it wasn't his manager but instead a foreign girl almost a head shorter than he was, trying her very best to shield him with the umbrella.


But having nothing suspicious about this girl makes things more suspicious.


Reina who thought that he might have been crying fumbled in her bag pack for something and the boy flinched, about to make a run if she brings out a large DSLR when the girl handed him a packet of tissue.


"Ehem." the boy coughed, receiving the packet yet not making any motions to open it up. Did he made a mistake about this girl? "Ärigato." 


"Nihonjin..de wanai." Reina stumbled in awkward Japanese, a survival phrase she made sure to memorise so that the locals would know that she wasn't a Japanese.


"Anata o dokokarakitano?"


"Kankoku." it was what she learnt all her life in Korea as a Korean to be proud of her own country's name even if she was landed in a strange foreign land.


"Ah..." the boy sighed in relief. Though he had been learning Japanese for almost 4 years now, it wasn't as fluent and he preferred his own tongue. "I'm Korean as well."


Reina was taken aback, did he flew all the way here for his girlfriend?


But speaking of which... it was strange. This male standing before her was strangely familiar although he only allowed his side profile to be seen by the girl which was nothing but the tip of his nose and his pale pink lips. But that was enough to strike a similarity in her mind. When all her days over the past few years was scrolling through EXO fansites and tumblr watching gifs and HD edits of the boys, it was hard not to identify them even by their facial features. She took a step back, frightened.


"K-Kai." The girl's voice did not had a hint of surprise, shock or even the slight happiness that fans gave off, only a mere acknowledgement. Was she a sasaeng? The boy brought up his hand to adjust his cap again, about to walk away when the girl spoke, "I'm not a sasaeng."


"I thought you were a girl when I first saw you by the way, well I was wondering why anyone was standing out here in the rain and I had an umbrella large enough to fit two so-" the girl trailed off, explaining herself calmly. "I'm just here to watch the concert. You should go back in."


Kai froze in his spot, unable to make a move. Wasn't she supposed to be very excited to see him? Was she sure that she was a fan? Shouldn't she be asking for an autograph or a photograph? But no. Hell, she was asking him to leave.


"I'm not leaving." he lifted his cap up, revealing his face. Slipping his phone inside his pockets casually, he looked at the girl squarely in her face. Reina wasn't mesmerized by Kai's features. He didn't have the sharpest nose or the largest eyes and his hair of platinum blonde wasn't Reina's type at all. Her type was Kim Jongdae. On the other hand, Kai found everything very normal about the girl. She had double eye lids which were uncommon for a Korean and she had a small button nose which was normal. She appeared to have only dabbed some foundation her skin before arriving here and wasn't to impress anyone.


"Why?" Reina glanced at her watch. It was almost 4pm and he was almost bareface with light foundation on. "Don't you need to prepare for the concert?"


"I-" the words were stuck in Kai's throat. He ran out from the waiting room because he just had a huge argument with the M member Lay that he was leaving EXO, yet another one this year. These chinese members were so irresponsible, pulling EXO-K down with them to suffer. He never liked them from the start and things started to get better in Growl but why did all these happen again after their Overdose album? Was it a curse?


"I just want to stay here for a bit."


"Do you need the umbrella?" Reina pushed the umbrella to him, knowing he needed some alone time. "I can just go to the basement or something."


Kai wasn't the type of person to trust people the very first time he set his eyes on them. He'd dissect them and made sure he knew every single tiny bit of information about them before he gave part of his trust to them to test the waters but today everything seemed to be in a mess for him. He eyed the girl warily again. There was nothing she was holding, not even her phone in her hands that could snap pictures or record videos. Only that black umbrella covering the two. Kai received the umbrella from her wordlessly and she let out a sigh of relief, gently massaging her aching right arm.


"You can stay here. I don't see you screaming like the rest of the girls or shoving albums in my face trying to get my autograph," he answered calmly raising an eyebrow towards the end. "Or are you a sasaeng?"


"Do I look like one to you?" Reina scoffed, rolling her eyes. She pointed to her tiny bagpack, "I don't think a 70-200mm lens can fit in here along with a DSLR though."


"But why-"


"It's not the first time I've seen celebrities though and I've watched the concert back in Seoul." she clicked her tongue, "Don't think too highly of yourself, you're just another human being to me."


And she still said she wasn't a sasaeng? His eyes knitted with perplexity trying to process her words. Was she one of those rich kids that could get him resources? He was in a dire state of needing them frankly speaking. Resources wise, he'd always lose out to Kyungsoo who had his rich sasaengs backing him up or Suho whose parents were shareholders in E.M.E. Chanyeol was good in variety and had connections with the higher ups in SBC and Baekhyun hyung- he's grounded by the company because of Taeyeon. As for him, he couldn't sing and his rap was uncomparable to Chanyeol's or Tao's. He only had dance and nothing else. His eyes scanned her outfit, eyes landing on her mint Givenchy bag pack.


"Who else have you met?"


"You mean celebrities? Cha Taehyun? Oh his kids are so adorable do you wanna see them?" Reina took out her phone from her pockets, flipping through her camera album excitedly "There."


It was a selfie of herself sticking a tongue out with Cha Taehyun playing with his two kids in the background. "Samcheon's always coming over our house in the weekends. I bet he thinks our place is a childcare centre just because we have a spare ro-"


Reina stopped herself in the middle of her sentence. All of a sudden, she remembered her parents' words.


The entertainment industry isn't as innocent as you see from the outside. People are always backstabbing one another, trying to outwin one another. We producers are standing between the celebrities and the public that's why we see things so clearly on the sidelines.


There's no one you can trust in there.


It wasn't right to be telling all of these to Kai because who knows he was one of those cunning celebrities who'd make use of this fact to extort her.


"He goes to your apartment?" Kai was growing increasingly impressed with this girl and now, he finally knew why she wasn't acting like how a normal fangirl should be when she first met him. Her explanations seemed to be true.


"Well", Reina coughed changing the subject wisely. "I think I should get going."


"I'll see you at the concert." she bowed politely at Kai, stepping out of the umbrella when she felt a tight grasp around her arm. 


"Wait!" when he saw the girl was making a run for the sheltered staircase down to the basement, he felt himself lunging forward by instinct, grabbing her by the wrist.


"I don't even know your name." his eyes averted her gaze. "I was thinking c-can I have your..."


Reina laughed, thinking that the guy before her was cuter than she thought. "I don't think it's appropriate for you to ask a stranger for a contact number especially when you're an idol. I'm sure you know that's very dangerous."


"Bu-"


"I'm Kim Reina."


"Reina..." the foreign name rolled off his tongue as he tried to memorise her name in his head.


"Isn't that a Japanese name?"


"Oh no it sure isn't." Reina chuckled, shrugging. "Or maybe it is."


"I'm Kim Jongin by the way." he flashed an awkward smile, trailing off. "Although I believe you know that already."


"Well I'll see you at the concert then." Reina flashed a quick smile, tightening her grip on her bagpack as she made a run for the staircase before Kai could call her back. "Good luck for the concert! Hwaiting!"


Kai stood rooted to the ground, the pitter patter of the rain still landing on the large black umbrella that once sheltered two. That was an out-of-the-world experience with a girl called Reina who was a fan but didn't exactly act like one.


"Jongin!" Ahreum, their short and chubby manager noona came running up to him with a large blue umbrella in her hands. "Oh, you have one already."


She was their noona who took care of them like a mom even before they debut though she was only older than him by a mere 5 years. And after they debut, she protected them fiercely at the airports or when they were on any schedules, even letting the fans hate her. He ought to feel indebted to her but- Kai let out a deep sigh, not wanting to face her at this point in time.


"Noona."


"Let's go in." she tugged at his arm forcefully, at the same time gazing their surroundings with hawk's eyes to see if there are any sasaeng.


"I want to stay here for awhile longer."


"Jongin." Ahreum stated with finality. "I know you are angry with Lay for whatever he is planning to do but that does not give you any rights to skip out on this concert-"


"I just want some time alone." Kai cut her words, walking away. "Go back to your Lay."


He had not moved over 20 steps when he was circled by a group of fangirls, clear by their EXO growl outfits as well as the banners they held in their hands. To make things worse they were his fans.


"Oh isn't that Kai oppa?"


"Kyaaaaaa. Kawaiii!!!!"


"Omo omo, why is he out here alone?"


It was basic Japanese that was still understandable to him and he flashed a tiny smile, bowing politely at his fans. The tiny clicks clicks clicks of the cameras did not escape Kai's sharp ears after 2 years of avoiding paparazzi and sasaengs. He groaned innerly in agony. Closing the umbrella, he made quick steps towards the security guarding the doors of the stadium and flashed his working pass, shuffled in by Ahreum noona behind him who most probably had gotten rid of the fans.


"I'm sorry." he heard the shorter girl mumble behind him.


"Don't apologise for him. Please."


Kai continue walking through the long alleyway, a mixture of Japanese and Korean shoutings along the halls and instructions flying everywhere and everyone was hot on the heels, scurrying in different directions. There were at least 200 employees backstage and they were the ones who made this concert exist. All EXO had to do was to look good and perform before a 10,000 audience.


That was his life.


The rows of costumes were pushed hurriedly along on the corridors and Kai manoeuvred his way into the large waiting room holding the 9 boys. He plopped down on the seat and threw his hoodie aside, revealing a black tank top within. The coordi noona rushed to his side seeing that he returned, cold fingers grazing his arm.


"The tattoo?" she asked, slightly raising her tone. She glanced at the precise clock. 16:47:03 There was a mere 1 hour and 15 minutes left for him to touch up his make up, draw his tattoo and what else the microphone. Oh god, why did he had to run off in the first place.


"Where's Youngmin?!" she screeched down the hallway. Immediately, a young male scrambled into the room with a palette in his hands.


The waiting room was fairly quiet and everyone was busy with their own things. The initial excitement that came from their first solo concert in Seoul had died down with their last concert in Osaka. It became a routine that they memorised just like their dance choreography. Tao was playing with a video camera sent by SBC for their latest variety show, filming Sehun taking a selfie. Suho was in a corner practicing his Japanese with their translator while Chen, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were warming up their voices. Chanyeol was lying on the floor doing push ups and flexing his muscles for his drumming solo and seated on the sofa were Lay and Xiumin engaged in a serious talk. Well that was rare because they were the most awkward pair alone. He scoffed, thinking that they must be discussing about his departure from the group.


"25 minutes before standby." their manager Minwoo hyung came into the waiting room carrying bags full of Starbucks coffee. "Drink up everyone."


Kai wondered silently to himself how things have turned out this way. 2 years ago they were nothing, a year ago just how many daesangs and bonsangs did they win? And this year? They were done for. Other than themselves in the room, sitting in a corner away from the members were the E.MRookies. it was clear what E.M.E was trying to do. They were trying to bury EXO alive deep under the snow with the upcoming boys group that targeted Japan. If things had not gone wrong, they were supposed to be debuted in 2016 but now changes have been made and they were set to be debuted in 2015. Now, E.M.E even arranged for the rookies to open the concert for them. That was how worrying it was for him to get resources somewhere, anywhere from people.


He was from a middle-income group family with only dance to his name and nothing else compared to the rich Chinese members. Tao already had a Maserati that he bought with his own money, Suho? Don't talk about his black card. Even if EXO disbanded he had his degree and was secured a job in the company with his parents' name. What about Chanyeol? He had close connections with the higher ups in SBC and they'd surely offer him programmes. Baekhyun could debut as a solo singer with his angelic voice or even a duo with Chen. Kyungsoo? Don't mention about his rich sasaengs. Honestly, he had no idea why they even liked him. He meant, yeah he was his hyung and he was nice, occasionally making food for them and being extremely caring for the members but he was a boring guy. He didn't smile at his fans, stared down at sasaengs with his large owl eyes scaring them away. Was this image loved by the public? Speaking of which he already debuted as an actor in 'Cart' and the ever-popular drama show starring Gong Hyojin, being the famous the actress loved by the Korean public which certainly received a lot of attention. Sehun on the other hand had the title maknae though he was only younger than Kai by a few months and that meant that he'd be loved by everyone although he had this cold expression on his face all the time, occasionally being exceptionally derpy.


Then let's talk about the M members now. Xiumin? He was already 24 but still quite laidback about his career which Kai did not understand why. He was in the same situation as Kai but he wasn't having much reaction. Tao? He was favored by the company though he received multiple warnings for his rash character and actions. Lay had his mom backing him up, making ties for him with the broadcasting system back in China and if he were to leave anytime soon, it wouldn't be too difficult for him to start anew over there in variety shows and what not. As for Chen, he could sing.


That was all he needed.

 

 

The screaming of the fans were loud and clear in his ears and it made Kai's heart pound faster, adrenaline rushing to his head. It was just like their first concert in Seoul all over again except that there were 11 members. Suho rounded the boys up one final time.


"EXO SARANGHAJA!" they shouted in unison, voice unclear among the screaming fangirls.


"HWAITING HWAITING!!!" Chanyeol shouted, jumping around to ease his tension.


"Ah ah." Baekhyun gulped down his spit, trying to clear his throat. 


"1 minute!" the boys were pushed onto the rising stage.


"30 seconds!" the stage rose and the bright silver sea shone, dazzling to the eyes. The sea of galaxies filled with tiny stars brought a tingling sensation whenever Kai saw that galaxy for him, for them, for EXO. It was always touching to see the lights waving for them and he was sure every single member felt the same way. He tilted his head to see Suho sighing in appreciation at the sight before him.


The lights were switched on, focused on the 10 of them and the familiar tribal beats of MAMA boomed throughout the stadium. He took in a deep breath, all over again.


"Watashiwa Kai da!" It was his turn to speak after the MAMA intro and after Suho did he briefly introduced himself. He smiled lovingly into the camera which was projected on the large screen on the sides of the stadium. His suave actions made the fangirls screaming louder, waving their lightsticks for him. Shushing them, he continued in his limited Japanese.


"Kon'ya o tanoshimimashou!"


As he stepped down on the lowering platform, the smile on his face disappeared instantly and he leaned against the wall, breathing ragged. The staff crowded around him almost tearing his shirt apart. In less than 3 seconds did he put on his next costume and a coordi was wiping the sweat off his face and the other touching up on his make-up.


"Area C."


He was pushed with a trolley and raced under the large stage of one of the 4 platforms. A staff stood waiting, listening intently to the instructions from his headset. He ushered Kai to step on the platform.


"In 3, 2, 1!" Kai was elevated back onto the stage, this time it was Let Out The Beast and they were required to move around the stage interacting with the fans. The smile reappeared on his lips as he danced slightly to the beat, making eye contact with the fans before him.


All of a sudden, his eyes doubled in size as he caught sight of the girl sitting right in front of him. It was Reina, on the front row seat.


He regained his composure a second later when he realised the girl didn't saw him and gave a tiny smirk which earned loud squeals from the girls, eyes still set on Reina's. She was seated on the East section, the front row seat of a triangular corner section where she was seated alone.


And she still acted as if she had no connections. How could the front row seat of a Japan concert possibly be given to an average Korean fangirl?


It wasn't as if Reina had not watched the concert back in Seoul and she knew exactly where each member was coming out from. She was waiting patiently for Chen's solo which would be right in front of her. Speaking of the concert back in Seoul, it was Arisa who dragged her to go for all 3 of them and unsurprisingly, her parents agreed. Because it was Arisa.


"Arisa said she bought the tickets?"


"Alright." her mom coolly replied, "You're gonna stay at her house for all 3 days right? We need to prepare gifts for her parents. Daddy? What should we buy?"


"It's summer now. The watermelons are in season. Maybe we should buy the imported ones from Japan."


"No there's no-"


"Manners Reina." her mom cut her off, continuing. "Her parents are highly regarded in their company and do you know what an honor it is for you to be friends with their only daughter?"


Reina snapped back to reality, wondering what facial expression her mom would make if she told her their daughter was one of those sasaengs who chased the idols down the streets.


Kai's gaze lingered on hers for a moment and she stared blankly at him for a few seconds before averting her eyes behind him. Kai spun around, still dancing and waving to the fans, eyes flickering at the person standing on the other branch of the stage. Chen was standing on the stage before the South section, singing and doing fanservice for the fans.

 

 

 


"Jongdae huh."