Chapter 30

I'm Sorry

“Hey…”




He whispered to her… holding her hand caressing it with his thumb… 




“Hey…” 




She answered him back with a very tired voice… she hasn’t had enough sleep… only to get one whenever she would faint from the pain… he couldn’t look at her… still haven’t got used to what she looks like right now… she badly needs that operation now… for it seemed like her body’s killing itself as days passed…





“Seunghyun-ah…”





She whispered as if it’s the only way she could able to speak… That’s the only time he looked at her only to be welcomed by her almost sleepy eyes… unable to see the glitter in it anymore… unable to see the life in it anymore… 





“Are you afraid…?”





After a moment of observing her… he knew what she’s feeling right now… her lips trembled… and tears filled her eyes…





“I’m afraid of what will happen after the operation…”





She slumped back on her bed and closed her eyes as she heaved out a sigh…





His forehead creased… and tightened the hold in her hand… Jiyong went out a bit and he was asked to stay with Dara first… she’s been worried all week for her operation and now that it’s only an hour before her operation… she couldn’t help but to feel helpless once again…





“Dara-ah… don’t think too much.... I know you’ll be able to survive it…”





He cooed her… saw the tears streaming at the side of her eye… he reached for it and wiped it off… after a while, she opened her eyes once again… saw him smiling down at her… but behind that smile she could feel that he too was uncertain of what might happen… 





“You’ve always been a good friend… I’m sorry to be for making you and everyone worry too much…”





He lowered his gaze… he should get accustom to it already… being a great friend is the least thing he could do for her, especially in times like this…






His smile grew wide as his hand reached for her face and caressed it…





“That’s why you have to be strong for us… we believe in you Dara… we’ll be just right here after your operation… we’ll wait…”






Her lips parted as a tear escaped her eye once again and finally she was able to smile back to him… reaching out her arms which he gladly accepted… he hugged her tight… closing his eyes trying to soothe the coldness in her body with his warmth… 





“Just be strong okay…”





He whispered… caressing the back of her head… he felt her nod and tightened her hug on him…





--





He was listening outside…leaning on the wall of her room… just an hour away to her operation… and after that no one knows what will happen next…





He tried to force out a smile when he heard the door of her room opened and Seunghyun came out wiping a bit of his tears… he tapped his friend’s shoulder and smiled at him… first time seeing his friend cry… such wonders how Dara could melt even a tough guy’s heart… 





“Are you okay…?”





Jiyong asked his friend… all Seunghyun could do was to nod…





“The others will be here later… how is she…?”





“She’s asleep…”





Jiyong nodded… until silence consumed the two…





“Jiyong…”





Jiyong looked at his friend and saw a smile plastered on its face…





“I was finally able to confess to her…”





Seunghyun chuckled… while Jiyong could only look at his friend, wondering if it’s just kidding…





“But I don’t know if she was able to hear me… I just want it all out for once…”





Seunghyun looked down but still the smile on his face didn’t vanish… Jiyong sighed and went closer to his friend and tapped its back…





“Way to go buddy…”





He which earned a light laugh from his friend…





“Uhmm excuse me sir…”





A nurse suddenly interrupted their talk… Seunghyun looked up and his smile went wider upon seeing the familiar nurse…





“I’m sorry to interrupt but sire I’ve already talked with my superior and she said we can’t give you the other ro-..”





Seunghyun quickly went to the nurse and grabbed her arm which made her and Jiyong startled…





“Sir..! What’s wrong…?”





“My stomach hurts… do you have some medicines for me…?”





He said while pulling the nurse away from his friend… Jiyong watched them in awe as the nurse forgot about what she was saying awhile ago and went to help his friend…





“Omo…! Come with me sir… did you eat something earlier…?”





Jiyong was left dumbfounded as the two slowly drifted out from the hallway… in the end he shook his head while smiling… sometimes, he couldn’t understand his friend’s antics… 





--





He went inside her room once her family and friends were there… and his eyes widen when he saw her awake and standing beside the window while watching outside…





“Dara…”





He called and almost ran up to her but got stopped when she turned around and smiled at him… his worried face got replaced as he smiled back to her… he went to her and wrapped his arms around her waist , hugging her from behind as they watched the beautiful day outside…





“Why are you up…? Aren’t you feeling bad…?”





He felt her shook her head and felt her hands caressing his arms around her waist…





“Surprisingly, I feel better…”





She rested her head on his shoulder locking her hand with his… he caressed her cheek with his… if only they could have moments like this forever…





"I hope Seunghyun-sshi could find the right girl for him..."






He was startled by what she said... probably she heard his friend earlier...






"But I was glad I was able to make him happy despite the heartaches I gave him... I really hope he will find someone that could give him the happiness that he really deserves..."






Jiyong smiled and closed his eyes as he hugged her tight...






"I know he will Dara..."






Silence enveloped them for a while until she broke it again...






“Jiyong-ah…”





“Hmm…?”





He hummed… with his eyes still closed and felt her tightened her hold on his hand…





“Wait for me arasso…”





Her words were like whistles of wind… too weak to be heard but enough to prick his heart as if she was like saying goodbye…there was a moment of silence before he could answer her back…





“Yes… I will…”





He kissed her cheek and felt her smiled… they stayed like that for a while…hugging… swaying their bodies to a music that only the two of them could hear…





--





She was lying down on the stretcher… holding on to his warm hand as the nurses slowly took her to the operating room… her friends were there… her mom was on the other side smiling down at her… everything that she had been through back then was now repeating again… but somehow today’s different… knowing that there will be a lot who’ll wait for her made her stronger…





“Be strong baby…”





Her mom caressed her face before she landed a kiss on her forehead… Dara smiled at her and nodded a bit… looked over to her brother whose likely suppressing himself to cry not like back then who was a crybaby… 





“We’ll be right here…”





Her friends cheered for her on the side… and lastly Jiyong went to her and leaned down to whisper something to her which made her almost cry…





He sealed her lips with his and touched it with his finger…





“Answer me when you get back… I’ll be waiting jagiya…”





--





He doesn’t even know how long it already passed…but it felt like forever and still, no one’s coming out from the operating room… everyone was quiet… waiting… 






He was in the corner… gripping tightly on the knees of his pants… looking down… as if he’s lost in his thoughts… praying for everything to go well…





“Why are they taking too long…?”





Seunghyun finally broke the silence… who’s likely the most nervous one as he paced back and forth on the entrance of the room…





“What’s happening in there…? I’m so nervous…”





“I hope noona could make it through…”





The two maknaes nervously prayed… their other friends was not much of a difference…all in silence… waiting…





--





Inside… she’s deeply asleep… drown in her own dreams as the doctors were having a hard time dealing with her complicate operation… 





Her heartbeat suddenly dropped… everyone inside the room panicked… they already got her tumor but something still went out wrong…





“We’re losing her…!”





Someone yelled… 





A nurse came to pump in oxygen through … as her heartbeat went flat….





‘Will you marry me…?’





Was the last thing that flashed her mind… his face disappeared as darkness filled her once vibrant dream…





A stream of tear flowed out from the side of her eye… 





‘I’m sorry Jiyong-ah….’