Curses and Enchants (1)

Curses and Enchants

(The story begins around 5 months prior to the prologue) 

 

“This is a party pooper. Seriously.” Annisa turned her head only to find her friend, Jasmine, pouting over something that she saw on her laptop screen.

 

“What?” Annisa got up from her seat and walked to her friend’s seat. Their class was unusually empty that morning with only just the two of them. Usually their classmates are early, but that day, the heavy rain seemed to halt their classmates.

 

“Look at our new task’s instruction. We literally have to babysit those Exchange students, aren’t we? Gosh . . .” Jasmine furiously pointing at her laptop screen, especially to a line of instruction which stated that each group of student will be consisted of at least two exchange student. Annisa just smiled and sigh over this. Jasmine might not like it, but to Annisa, she would do just fine. “Well I won’t lie that those boys are freakishly handsome, but that doesn’t mean I want to do my research with them. They should just let us choose our own team.” Jasmine continued to pout while Annisa scrolled the instruction up and down, looking for other important instructions. But so far she found none, well, of course other than the rule where thay have to be in one group with at least two exchange student.

 

“I think it’s not a big deal.” Said Annisa, walking back to her seat, smiling.

 

“Yeah right. Of course you wouldn’t mind. You have a crush on them. Particularly the tall and funny one.” Jasmine threw a look at Annisa and made her friend’s cheek turn scarlet.

 

“That’s not what I ment, Min.” Listening to this, Jasmine threw a harder look to Annisa with a nasty smile, and Annisa just couldn’t stop to let out a happy smile. With that smile Annisa confessed that, yes, she had a crush on one of those new residents in her class.

 

“Told ya. I knew he’s your type.” Even though Annisa couldn’t see it, she was so sure that Jasmine had that annoying contendent smile upon her face.

 

“He’s not 100 percent my type, though.” Annisa answered without looking at her friend’s face. She decided to play with her phone instead.

 

“Oh really? The only thing that made him different from your ex is the fact that he’s Korean.” This, made Annisa turned her head, facing her friend, frowning. It’s true that her three years relationship with her ex was over, it was true that she was the one whose being dumped, and it was obvious that she didn’t want to talk about it. Seeing the look in Annisa’s face. Jasmine then sighed, cursing herself for not keeping her y mouth closed. “Sorry.” Jasmine added in a low hushy tone.

 

“No, it’s okay.” Annisa answered in the same low tone, then hid her face behind her insanely straight hair. She wasn’t that sad actually, for breaking up with her boyfriend. Truth to be told, she felt relieved. It had been a boring 4 months before they both decided to split up. But still, the relationship she had with this last ex, was the longest one. No wonder the feeling of emptyness was still a frequent visitor for her. Even addresing him to be ‘the ex’ still brought a weird taste to .

 

When Annisa looked up, she found Jasmine already stood beside her, took a chair and then sat beside her. Jasmine seemed to be regretting her words earlier because after sitting beside her, Jasmine gave Annisa a warm hug and said, “Well, you got Chanyeol now, don’t you?”

 

Listening to that name, an image of a bright face popped in Annisa’s head. A face where smile seemed to stay forever. “Maybe.” She answered slowly.

 

***

 

It was a huge surprise, of course, when the University where Annisa studied, decided to open a class for exchange students. Of course, this program was still new even among top Universities in Indonesia and still limited to only students from Asia. The exchange students will be joining other local students who were studying in the international program, rather than having their own classes. And that, my friend, was the beginning of it all.

 

Annisa was in a second semester of her freshman year when her University officially open the program. She was still awkward, shy, and still got that I’m-confused-with-this-new-campus-life kind of look. She remembered the first moment she entered her classroom and actually found out that half of her classmates was a foreigner. Right at that moment she had no idea how on earth she was going to finish that semester, knowing that she would have to work with people from an entirely different cultures and backgrounds. In the first term, keeping her grades good was already hard, now with these stangers? But in the end she did just fine, passed the second semester with a good GPA, and lots of new friends. Because most of the exchange students stayed only for one semester, Annisa knew that she would meet a whole new group of people in the next term, and it made her expect a lot from her upcoming third semester.

 

Then, in the third semester she met her expectation in a form of tall and dreamy guy. Chanyeol. A ball of laughter.

 

The funny part was when Chanyeol spoke in Korean the first time he met Annisa. It confused the girl a lot. Seeing the puzzled look on Annisa’s face, Chanyeol laugh to himself and then spoke again, but this time with a fluent english, “Oh hi, I seriously thought you’re Korean. Nice to meet you, I’m Park Chanyeol.” He bowed, then looked up straight into Annisa’s eyes with a toothy smile. It embarassed her a lot everytime she remembers what happened after that because after Chanyeol bowed, Annisa just stood there, blank-faced, for like 3 seconds, before she finally snapped out of it and introduced herself, stuttered.

 

Since their first meeting, Chanyeol have always been the candy for Annisa’s eyes. At first, she used to sit in the front row of the class with Jasmine, but since there was Chanyeol, Jasmine sometimes had to give up to her dear friend’s plea and sit in the back, behind Chanyeol to be exact. And because of Chanyeol’s unrealistic body height, of course those two petite could see nothing other than Chanyeols broad back. This pleased Annisa, and was obviously irritate Jasmine.

 

A month into their third semester, and Chanyeol have already become the class’ entertainment. His remarks often made him the target of professors annoyed stare, and the class’ laugh. It made him the complete opposite from his bromance partner, Sehun. The quiet silver-haired Korean was attached to Chanyeol like they’re an inseperable twin brother. Him and Sehun are one package. When you invited Chanyeol, that means Sehun will come. And when you invite Sehun, . . . well  . . . actually people never invite Sehun, but people knew if they invite Sehun, Chanyeol eventully will have to come too. When people knew everything about Chanyeol, they barely know anything about Sehun. Informations about Sehun always came form Chanyeol’s mouth. He once said that Sehun have always been quiet and didn’t like to talk much. He also said that they’re friends since forever, they even decided to study in Indonesia together.

 

People never stop questioning how could a person like Chanyeol and Sehun become bestfriend, their personality was too different to begin with. Of course, the fangirls would gossip regarding to the different personality issue. They would gossip about Chanyeol and Sehun actually involved in some kind of complicated-and-extrimely-y homoual relationship. Annisa highly doubt that. That was totally riddiculous and sounded really wrong. It wasn’t about the homoual relationship that Annisa curious about, it was more about the intense atmosphere she always felt everytime Chanyeol and Sehun conversed. But the hell, maybe it was only her feeling.

 

***

 

“Oh Sehun?” was one of a name written in the paper Jasmine held. Annisa read it out loud.

 

“Well congratulations to me.” Total sarcasm. Jasmine was saying this while closing her eyes, looking really unpleased. Their class was boisterous, it was the announcement for research group and everyone was looking at their choosen teammates for the rest of the semester. And Jasmine would obviously  spend the rest of the semester with Sehun as one of her group member. As for Annisa, she hadn’t open the paper she had in her hand. 

 

“Oh come on, you can’t be that nervous for looking at your group’s member, can you?” Jasmine grasped the paper from Annisa’s hand, she was about to read it out when someone shouted rather loud for the rest of the class to hear.

 

“Chanyeol! We’re in one group!” Hee-Young, grinning like a five years old while waving her hand to Chanyeol knowing she will be in one group with the guy. The rest of the class could only snicker, it’s a public secret that Hee-Young had a huge crush on Chanyeol. I mean come on, we’re talking about a popular guy here. Annisa can’t be the only girl who was being knocked off her feet everytime Chanyeol smiles. Of course there are other girls, but Hee young was the toughest competition. She was pretty, friendly, and most important of all, bold. It was one thing Annisa wished she had, but she didn’t. Hee-Young had gone out with Chanyeol and their other classmates numerous times. She even asked Chanyeol to had lunch with her, just the two of them, and that was the first time Annisa saw Chanyeol went somewhere without Sehun! Hee-Young’s achievement was something that Annisa could only dream about.

 

 “Ouch. I’m so sorry, Cha.” Jasmine murmured. She gave a sour smile while slowly giving back the paper she previously took from Annisa’s hand. With a dim face Annisa took the paper, opened it, and read the names written on it.

 

Annisa Dinia

 

Barata Yudha

 

Jenny Lim

 

Lee Chang Soo

 

Obviously Chanyeol’s name was not on the list. Her hert sank for a while. She sighed, trying to calm herself down. Annisa knew that more than half of the girls in her class must’ve felt what she was feeling right now. Secretly, they were waving the white flag and surrender under Hee-young’s enormous luck.

 

“That lucky b*tch.” Out of nowhere Jasmine snapped rather a harsh remark and made Annisa turned to see why on earth her friend said things like that. “What?” Jasmine continued, “It’s true isn’t it? She’s a and she’s lucky. It’s only rational to said so.” With that, Annisa left her seat with a lazy face and walked to her reasearch group whose already gathered in the corner of their class. On her way there, she couldn’t stop looking at the sight of Hee-young and Chanyeol sitting together with the other of their group members. Even hearing their name mentioned one after another sounded so right it made Annisa scrunch her face.

 

“That lucky b*tch.” Annisa secretly cursed under her breath.   

 

***

 

It was a murky, humid Thursday afternoon when Annisa decided that it was the brightest day of her life, yet. After the ‘research team incident’ few days ago, Annisa decided that starting today, it no longer a big matter. No doubt, the reason behind Annisa’s strange bright mood involved a certain tall and dreamy looking guy, not to mention he’s sitting beside her. With a big smile Annisa so desperately tried to hide, she turned her head to her right for a brief moment only to see Chanyeol still sitting calmly on the seat beside her. It was the middle of History of Psyhcology Class and Annisa’s head filled with things that are obviously not related to the subject. Blame it to the class’ seat arrangement that day.

 

“Cha, Icha!” Jasmine whispered rather loud and was forcing Annisa to stopped throwing a dreamy gaze at Chanyeol.

 

“What?”

 

“I’m quitting this faculty. I can’t work with that stone-face Sehun guy.” Hearing this, Annisa rolled her eyes, uninterested. She knew Jasmine had always been a perfectionist down to her bone, so a tiny miscalculation or little thing went out not as she wanted, she’ll explode and overreacted to almost anything. Something must’ve gone a little bit wrong with Sehun and Jasmine’s perfect research planning during their first team meeting couple days ago. Annisa couldn’t be wrong.

 

“He’s okay, you’re just being overreacted.” Annisa whispered back to Jasmine who was sitting right behind her. She tried not to look back or the professor will catch her red handed, chit-chatting inside class.

 

“No I’m not.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“So first this guy was like not talking or contributing so I gave my awesome research plan and the rest of the group agreed. But in the next meeting he was like having this simple yet awesome research idea but everybody thought it was so cool they felt like replacing my plan!” Jasmine whispered this to Annisa without taking any single breath. The girl hyperventilated after delivering the news. Annisa was right, it was about Sehun and her friend’s research plan.

 

“So you thought his research idea was awesome?” Annisa asked.

 

“Of course not!” It was a loud whisper, and the professor almost threw a look at Annisa and Jasmine.

 

This time Annisa replied with a lower volume, “You said his idea was simple yet awesome.”

 

“Well actually yes. That’s why I was trying to contribute by suggesting some research design and procedure, but he didn’t say anything. He was like turned into a wall or something after saying his research idea.” Annisa could hear a little anger in her friend’s voice.

 

“Sehun IS a quiet guy, Jas. So deal with it.” When saying Sehun’s name Annisa squinted her eyes to Chanyeol, making sure he heard nothing. And the guys seemed totally immeresed in the subject of their class, it made Annise let out a relieved sigh.

 

“I’m so telling Ms. Tata I want to change team.” This time Jasmine was finished with her complaint about Sehun. She leaned back again into her seat and paid attention to what the professor were saying. Annisa could only shook her head in disbelief. Annisa then turned her head just a bit to her right, but this time, her sight wasn’t Chanyeol, but Sehun who was sitting in Chanyeol’s right side. Even when Sehun just being so still like that, he looked cold. Maybe Annisa will have difficulties too if she had to be put in the same team with Sehun, of course she won’t be as overreacted and Jasmine, but still, it must be difficult.

 

“Mmm, Icha?” This call made Annisa spontaneously snapped out of her thoughts about Sehun. A face popped up in front of her, a face with a toothy smile. “Can I borrow your pen? Mine’s broken.”

 

Without saying anything Annisa gave a pen that she have been using to Chanyeol. The guy smiled and thanked her before focusing again to their professor’s lecture. With just that small moment, Annisa reminded herself again that today, was the brighthest day of her life, yet.

 

***

 

“You can’t just ask me to buy you dinner and send it to your apartment! Buy it yourself!” Friendship, sometimes could be a pain in the . Just like what happened to Annisa right now. Later that day, right after Psychology’s History class her dear friend Jasmine had her monthly period cramp and went back to her apartment early, so she asked Annisa to buy her dinner and give it to her in her apartment, which means Annisa will have to walk about several hundred meters to Jasmine’s apartement near their campus ground. Annisa didn’t like being bossed around, but eventually right at that moment she had already ordered one portion of Chicken Teriyaki, just like what Jasmine asked.

 

Annisa looked around the cafetaria while listening to Jasmine’s voice from the phone, thanking her. Annisa could see that the semi-open cafetaria are now deserted. No wonder, since the murky and humid afternoon were going to turn into a stromy night. So most of the student must be eating in the indoor cafetaria.

 

“Yeah yeah, just wait for me, I’m going there now.” Said Annisa before she hang up on Jasmine. She decided to walk fast since the sky was already so dark and the wind blew really hard. If it rained so bad she thought she would spend the night at Jasmine’s place and come back home early in the morning before class.

 

Annisa put her arms around her body when she was finally walking out of her faculty building. She tightened the cardigan she was using and tucked her long hair behind her ear over and over again but the wind kept blowing her hair away. Looking at the weather, Annisa thought it would rain before she got to Jasmine’s place if she walked through the usual route, so she took a turn and decided to walk through a small alley which will take her right to Jasmine’s apartement building. Stupid decision actually, since the alley was kind of long, and clamped between two tall building. There was only one street light in the middle of the alley and once you get there, the only way to get out of it is to run forward or turning back, unless you can climb the wall. But the image of her getting wet didn’t please her either, so she will just walk super fast through the alley.

 

The looming shadow of building on both side of the alley made the pathway looked really dark. Annisa had once walked through this alley but it was on a bright day and she wasn’t alone. Now inside of the night’s embrace, it seemed that there’s something lurking under the shadows. Annisa swallowed her spit before she finally gather her courage and took a brave step into the alley. Even the constant cluck from her shoes echoed and made it sound like someone was following her. Annisa was so sure that it was the echo form her shoes until she saw someone stepped into the light under the street light. She stopped right there out of shock, keeping herself surrounded by the dark. There was two guy, just talking in dim light. Annisa contemplated, whether she had to turn back or just wait until the guys were gone. When Annisa finally decided to just turn back, she realized that she recognized two faces in front of her.

 

She saw two familiar faces, but with two pair of unfamiliar blazing red eyes.

 

Annisa was about to run when he heard a growl echoed inside her eardrum.

 

And it wasn’t her brightest day of her life anymore.

 

(to be continued)

 

 

Writer's note:

So there you go, my very first debut as K-fanfic writers. Actually this story is dedicated to my friend for her 20th Birthday, and that's why the story happened in Indonesia, which tells you that I'm obviously an Indonesian, so yeah. Of course forgive my grammar mistakes since I'm not a native speaker here. There's nothing more that I can hope for other than your inputs and critics! Happy reading! :D