Curses and Enchants (2)

Curses and Enchants

The stingy smell of cajuput oil was the first thing that kicked Annisa’s senses, slowly waking her from whatever that she was falling into. Seconds later when she opened her eyes, she was welcomed by the sight of three confused and unfamiliar faces, their voice reached her eardrum in the form of faded murmurs. Then, when suddenly flashes of hazy images flooded her head, Annisa was fully brought into her conscious realm, her eyes snapped open like someone just gave her a heart attack.

 

“Miss, you okay?” A women, with a cajuput oil’s bottle in her hand was the first person to speak. Beside the women, Annisa could see there are two middle aged men, one was wearing an old shirt, and the other  was wearing a motorcycle jacket, both looked as confused as the women.

 

“I  . . . “ Annisa was ready to spill her story when she realized she had nothing to remember. The only thing Annisa could remember before she lost her consciousness was . . . nothing. Only darkness that was visible in the corner of her memory. She realized this just now, when someone woke her up and asked her what happened. She opened to spit out her shocking experience but stopped right there, for there was nothing she could tell nor remember. She did remember she was going to Jasmine’s apartment and buying Chicken Teriyaki, she also remembered the part where she was walking toward the small alley. But after that, nothing. Nothing until she opened her eyes, awakened and  surrounded by strangers.

 

 “Are you sick miss? I found you collapsed in the middle of the alley.” One of the middle aged men spoke. Annisa rubbed her forehead, somehow hoping that small piece of her memory would return.

“I . . I’m okay.” Annisa finally managed to speak, the girl then sat down and tried to locate her belongings. She found both her bag and Jasmine’s teriyaki placed on a table near her.

“You look very pale, maybe you want to call someone to pick you up here?” The women spoke while closing the cajuput oil’s bottler in her hand. Annisa shook her hand and reached for her bag. Seeing that Annisa looked okay, the expression of those people who saved her ease a little.

 

“Was I suddenly collapsed, or . . .?” Annisa asked, while trying really hard to remember what happened. As long as she could remember she was in a very healthy condition, she hadn’t been sick in these past two months, it’s almost impossible that she could passed out so suddenly and without any symptomps.

 

“Well, we don’t know miss, when I found you, you were already lying down. That’s what we’re curious about, are you sure you’re really okay?” The other middle aged man asked.

 

“Maybe you’ve been sick lately, a bad cold, maybe?” The woman asked again, and Annisa answered her with a shook of her head. 

 

“I’m practically fine.” She answered. Well, even though right then she felt somehow hazy because she just woke up.

 

“Then why were you passed out? You have no idea at all? You don’t remember a thing?” Again, Annisa’s answer was a shook of her head.

 

“Did you see someone before you pass out? Do you lost something?” When Annisa heard this question, she furiously opened her back and found that everything’s still there. Her phone, her wallet with all the money and cards, even her iPod and headset.  

 

“I was about to go to my friend’s apartment, and then  . . “ Annisa’s head went blank for a split second because there was nothing in her head, until she finally continues, “I . . . I guess I’m stopping for something but then suddenly I’m here. I can’t remember anything.”

 

An eerie atmosphere suddenly fell in the middle of their conversation. The three people that saved Annisa suddenly went silent and threw each other a weird look. As if they were confirming something. Before Annisa could ask anything, one of them spoke.

 

“You better go through other route next time.”  Said the man with the motorcycle jacket. He threw a look at his other two friends again before continuing, “A couple nights ago, we also found a person collapsed in the middle of the alley just like you. He didn’t remember why he collapsed, he said he was perfectly healthy, and his belongings were still there.”

 

Hearing this, Annisa winced. Knowing that she wasn’t the only person experiencing this weirdness freaked her out.

 

“This month alone there are four cases already, including you.” Said the women. “You’d better be careful. You better don’t walk through this route for a while, and also remind your friends not to go here for a while. Until we can make sure that this kind of thing wont happen again.”

 

“We’re afraid there are people who aim for something more than money.” Said the man with the old shirt. It was a weird sensation when Annisa suddenly felt a vibe ran through her spine. Out of nowhere the feeling of fear bubbled up inside her. She never felt anything like this before, the fear was a little more intense than any other fear she had felt, the fear seemed kind of . . close, threatening. 

 

“O . .  okay I get it. Thank you very much for helping me. I don’t know what to say.” Said Annisa to the three people in front of her. She grabbed her bag and also the plastic bag containing Jasmine’s Teriyaki. She was so sure if she opened her phone right now there will be missed calls from her best friend, demanding her dinner to come faster.

 

“No problem, just remember not to come here for a time being.” The man tried to remind Annisa again. With that Annisa nodded and stood, she was thanking them again while heading out of the house. When she walked out, she found out that actully the people who saved her brought her inside a laundry owner’s house near the entrance of the alley. Before finally setting off, Annisa threw a final look a the clamped dark alley near her. The street light was still there, gloomy and lonely in the middle of looming shadow of buildings. Somehow Annisa knew there was something, something about that streetlight that made her heart beat faster gradually.

 

Just after a few step, Annisa could feel her phone vibrated. Jasmine.

 

“Yeah? I’m coming.” Said Annisa the moment she picked up the phone. She stopped talking for a while, hearing Jasmine’s reply from the other side of the phone line.

 

“No, I didn’t bumped into Chanyeol on my way, and for heaven’s sake just be more patient, Jas!” With that, Annisa hung up and walk faster without looking back. She wanted to tell Jasmine what happened as soon as possible, and most of all, she wanted to go away from that alley.

 

***

 

“Okay class, basically today’s schedule is a group discussion. I want you to discuss the progress of your reasearch with your group. If you have any difficulties or if there’s something you want to ask, I will be on my desk. Now you can gather with your group.” Miss Tata, after opening the statistic class this morning went straight to her desk in front of the class where some student already rose from their seat and waited for her there.

 

“Why do I hate and like this instruction at the same time?” Jasmine was saying this while putting all her belongings into her bag, ready to get up and gather with her group. While Annisa didn’t move an inch from her position and let out a sigh. She didn’t feel really good today, especially after what had happened to her the day before.

 

“What? You like this instruction because you got to meet Sehun, right?” But of course, Annisa still have energy to friend, and she got a soft slap on her shoulder for her that.

 

“Ha ha. Sehun my .” Jasmine then stood up, Annisa let out a small laugh for her friend’s sharp reaction whenever they talked about Sehun. “But Cha, are you really fine now? You still look pale though.”

 

Annisa nodded before answering, “Well yeah I still feel a bit hazy but I’m fine.”

 

Last night after the small alley incident, Annisa spent the night at Jasmine’s place. She told her friend what had happened to her. Jasmine, being Jasmine as usual, freaked out whe she heard the story. Well, no wonder since Jasmine was always using that small alley on a daily basis to get to their campus. There was a chance that whatever happened to Annisa could have happened to her too. Annisa also reminded her friend not to take that route for at least a month or so. After sharing her experience, later that night Annisa found herself unsually sleepy, she fell into a dreamless sleep before the clock struck eight. It was a dreamless sleep because she saw none other than darkness behind her eyes, but there was something else in her sleep, something that she could only feel, and it was a faint linger of fear.

 

“Okay then. Oh, and remember we’re not having lunch in that Korean Café, we’re not going to follow your Yoda prince today. Okay?” Said Jasmine while pointing her finger to Annisa. Annisa rolled her eyes hearing the request from her friend.

 

“Yeah yeah, your highness.” Annisa started putting her belongings inside her bag and ready to move along with her group. She was a little bit dissapointed though knowing that she won’t be eating in the same place as Chanyeol today, she thought the sight of him somehow could boost her mood. It’s not that Annisa couldn’t see Chanyeol right there right now in their class, she could see him alright, the problem was since Hee Young already seated so close¾too close¾ beside Chanyeol, the sight of Chanyeol won’t be as pleasing.  Annisa let out a sigh again and finally stood up, heading to the seats near the window where all her group’s member already gathered.

 

 “Cha, I found the journal you asked yesterday.” Jenny, one of Annisa’s research grup member welcomed Annisa by showing something on her laptop screen. It was one of the research material Annisa had been desperately looking for, a journal about teenager and aggression.

 

“Perfect! Jenny you’re a genius! How did you get it?”

 

“Well, it’s a long and a bit complicated story, but I got it somehow. Is this what you’re looking for?”

 

Annisa nodded enthusiastically, “Yes it is, guys can you see this? I think we can make this journal as our main reference.” Annisa then showed the journal to Bara and Chang Soo, her other research group member.

 

Reading the article, both Bara and Chang Soo nodded in agreement. Indeed, the Journal’s topic was highly related to their research theme, since they’re going to make a research about teenager’s perception to aggresion and violence.

 

“I guess this is okay. I’m sorry I haven’t really search for another reference. But I can explain you guys about the statistical analysis we can use.” Said Chang Soo. All the three member of the group nodded automatically, fully trusting on what Chang Soo said. Annisa had always thought that Chang Soo is the smartest and brightest member in their group. Chang Soo might not as good looking as his other Korean fellows in their class (read: Chayeol and Sehun) but Chang Soo got the brain. 

 

“I found one about aggression, I think we can use it, the information inside is so detailed.” Bara added. The totally Javanese looking guy in Annisa’s research team had always been the reliable one. On their second meeting, Bara already made a google drive where all the grup member can work their Research report later. Even though not being placed in the same group as Chanyeol, Annisa somehow relieved being placed within her current group.

 

“Wait, let me read the rest of it.” Chang Soo, along with Bara and Jenny read the journal together in silence. When Annisa was about to join reading with her group, she saw Jasmine was looking at her from across the class. Annisa winced in Jasmine’s direction, like asking why did Jasmine staring at her like that. With somehow a weird smile, Jasmine was signaling Annisa to look behind her.

 

When she obeyed her friend’s eye signal, she turned her head only to found that actualy Chanyeol was seating so close to her in her back, and that Chanyeol’s stare is directed to her. Annisa swore her heart stopped beating the moment a smile started to creep up in Chanyeol’s face.

“Hi.”

“Umm . . hi.”

“Doin’ good?” Asked Chanyeol, moving his seating position so that now he face Annisa entirely. Chanyeol was wearing a plain donker t-shirt and washed out jeans, his jet black hair was a little bit messy this morning, and Annisa could see these details within their close proximity.

 

“Kind of . .” Ukh, Annisa felt like cursing herself for being such a chicken everytime Chanyeol’s smile was directed to her.

 

“What’s your research theme?” Asked chanyeol, tried to peek Jenny’s laptop screen but failing.

 

“Teenagers and aggression.” Annisa answered, “What’s yours?”

 

“Music.” Answered Chanyeol.

 

“And?”

 

“First impression.” Annisa let out a smile and nodded, she thought Chanyeol’s research idea was really good.

 

“So you want to see people’s first impression on someone who played music?” Annisa asked Chanyeol again, trying to understands more.

 

“Something like that.”

 

“I think I will have a better impression to someone who plays music.” Even though Annisa’s heart beats like crazy, she still tried to continue the conversation. Heck, she wished she could continue talking to Chanyeol like this until the class’ over.

 

“Really?” Chanyeol raised both of her eyebrows, “Do you think you will have a better impression if we met when I’m playing guitar?” Annisa fell silent for a split second when images of Chanyeol playing guitar filled her head, she was about to squal with happiness. Annisa couldn’t imagine if she met Chanyeol when the guy playing guitar, just meeting him the ‘normal way’ already made her heart jumped up and down.

 

“You can play guitar?” Asked Annisa instantly before she drowned too much in the imagination of Chanyeol and guitar.

 

“You haven’t answer my question, would you like me more or not?” Annisa let out a small laugh.

 

“Well, can you actually play a guitar or not?” Somehow Annisa is more interested in knowing wther Chanyeol can actually play a guitar or not.

 

“Hahah it’s not important, Cha. Will you like me more or not?” The sound of Chanyeol’s laugh was never been this close to Annisa’s ear before. She could use to hear his deep soft chuckle all day.   

 

“I cannot decide, I have to know whether you’re good at it or not.” Annisa couldn’t hold her smile any longer. She thought her smile must have reached both of her ears now. God, wasn’t she so obvious? I think this is why approaching and casually talking to Chanyeol could be a hardwokr for Annisa.

“Well I . .”

 

Suddenly a loud noise broke the conversation between Annisa and Chanyeol, someone just got out the class and slammed the door hard. Their class went from a total racket into a total silence. Annisa automatically scanned her classroom to see whether there was something bad happened or not. And her eyes fell to a group seated across the classroom, Jasmines’s grop, and she found that Jasmine’s not there. She could see  the rest of jasmine’s  group member shocked faces, except Sehun. The guy was sitting so still like nothing happened. This means that her best friend was the one who just stormed out of their classroom and slammed the door.

 

“What the hell . . “ Murmured Chang Soo, shocked because he was in the middle of a serious reading. It took only a moment for Annisa to finally stood up and walked out of the classroom. Something must’ve happened, Annisa just hoped that it had nothing to do with her friend’s ‘mingling difficulties’ with a particular guy named Oh Sehun.  

 

***

 

“He called me a neurotic perfectionist!” Jasmine’s desperate shriek of anger echoed within the empty lavatory. Annisa could only cringe hearing what Jasmine’s said. She could see Jasmine’s chest goes up and down, trying to control both her breath and anger. Being Jasmine’s friend since middle school Annisa knew perfectly well what kind of person Jasmine is. Jasmine wasn’t only a smart girl, she was also bright, but since she’s a perfectionist from top to bottom it made her sometimes oblivious to people around her. She had always wanted to get everything right, so she often ignore other people’s suggestion and ideas. During middle school, there was one point where Jasmine was an outcast, and that was when Annisa came around, her patient and somehow demure personality was the only thing that could both stand and soothe the temper of Jasmine.

 

“Jas. . .”

 

“That jerk has to learn how to filter his freakin mouth.”

 

“Jas, I think . . .”

 

“He’s the one whose freakin neurotic, God dammit!”

 

“Jasmine!” Annisa  had to call her friend with a loud voice in order to stop her friend’s desperate utterance. “tell me what happened first.” she patted Jasmine’s back, even though she knew it won’t calm her friend entirely.

 

She could see her friend took a deep breath before opening , “We were dicussing about research procedure.” Jasmine took a deep breath again.

 

“And?”

 

“He wanted the research to be a field one, I want it to be in the lab. I said if we do it in the lab, we will have more control over the experiment. We argue for a while and after that he called me a neurotic perfectionist!”

 

“Are you pushing your idea?”

 

“Heck, no!” replied Jasmine in an instant.

 

“Jasmine, Sehun is a quiet guy. Do you think he will say things like that in a normal situation?” Annisa knew by saying that, Jasmine will get more furious somehow, she must’ve think that Annisa took Sehun’s side. But things like this had happened numerous times before, so Annisa knew that she had to make Jasmine introspect herself first before she put the blame on others.

 

“Cha, do you always think I’m the one whose done wrong?” As expected, Jasmine would think that Annis took another side.

 

“Jas, please. We’ve been through this before.” Annisa looked straight to her friend’s eyes, but Jasmine avoided it, she bent her head down.  

 

“I’m sorry, I think I wont be back to the class now, or I could slap Sehun off this earth ” Jasmine walked away from Annisa, “I think you should go back now.”

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Annisa had to make sure that Jasmine will be just fine. She knew Sehun’s words earlier had been one of the most direct remarks ever said to Jasmine.  

 

“Yea. You better go back.” There was a faint smile on Jasmine’s face when she said this.

 

“Okay. Just call me if you want to get into the class again.” With that Annisa walked out of the bathroom.

 

“Icha?”

 

Of course it shocked Annisa when a guy suddenly popped up in front of her the moment she walked out of the the bathroom. “Chanyeol?” There was also Sehun, stood against the wall with jaw clenched. Chanyeol must’ve dragged him here.

 

“Is Jasmine in there?” He asked, his two big eyes looked uncomfortable.

 

“I think it’s not the best time.” Annisa pushed Chanyeol away from the bathroom door. She was afraid jasmine will walk out any minute and that girl will be hysterical if she sees  Sehun here.

 

“Forgive my friend.” When saying this Chanyeol squinted his eyes and threw a piercing stare to Sehun. But his friend looked undisturbed, instead, Sehun comb his hair to the back with his fingers casually, drifted his eyes away from Chanyeol’s stare.

 

“It’s okay, let’s just go back.” Annisa walked away from the two guys and get into the class first. Right before she closed the door, she could see Chanyeol was throwing  a dark look to Sehun for the second time, his forever sparkly eyes suddenly turned dark, so dark it made Annisa question wether Chanyeol’s eyes have ever been sparkly before.

 

Then the same fear lingered, the kind of fear she felt yesterday.

 

(to be continued)

 

 


            Writers note:

Please forgive the -ness from this rookie writer. Happy reading! :D