Matchmade in Heaven

Don't Love Me
Reading guide : Italic (Flashback)
 

 

“How about this one?”

SuMin shoves a picture of a plain looking guy to my face. I just shake my head in annoyance. SuMin is trying to set me up with some men and as a result, stacks of pictures of random men are now on my desk.
 
“You need to move on from him, and dating another guy is one of the ways. And so, if you have any other effective ways, you can tell me. But as long as you don’t have any, this is how it's going down. And stop complaining, you're the one who dumped KyungSoo in the first place,” she sighs at her last sentence, probably wondering why I was being such an idiot for dumping such a great guy. She's right though, every single thing she said was right, it's me who dumped him. But it's not necessarily what I want.
“I’m still dead curious as to your separation. You’ve never discussed it with me,” she pouted. I onl close my heavy eyelids as the memories from a year ago came flooding back.
 

 

I took a deep breath to calm and cool myself, meanwhile my hands were frantically fanning my flushed face with the brochure that I got on my way to our meeting place which KyungSoo had decided.
 
The heat I’m suffering is making me more impatient. I sneaked a glance to my watch and showed that he’s 15 minutes late.
I knew he’s busy, that’s why I spared him the continuous calling to ask where he is and hours of nagging.
 
Fianlly, my eyes caught the sight of him in his comfortable clothes, waving vigorously at me while trying to catch his breath. My  lips unwillingly turned upwards to form a smile.
 
“Sorry?” His hand was rubbing the back of his neck nervously. He must’ve thought that I would be angry at him. I nodded and immediately took his arm to join it with mine as I dragged him away.
 
“You shouldn’t have run. Look at you, you’re practically drenched in sweat,” I faked a disgusted look.
“If I don’t run, then we won’t have enough time for ourselves, you know that.”
 
I didn’t remember when was the last time we fought, or maybe we never fought before, or maybe we had but I’ve forgotten about them because all I know was that in the end, we always made up and all was well.
 

 

I feel a hand rubbing my shoulder soothingly. I snap out of my daze and realize that it is SuMin. Her face shows that she’s guilty about bringing that topic up.

“HyeShin, you don’t have to think about it again, I’m sorry for bringing it up,” she keeps rubbing my shoulder while trying to comfort me.
I can only offer her a small smile, ”It’s okay, it been a year. I’m over it.”
She grabs all of the pictures and puts her stuffs into her bag.
“I need to go now. I’ll see you soon, okay?” I nod at her absentmindedly but I don't t miss her tossing out the pictures to a trash bin just outside the café.
 
I sit there for another 10 minutes before I decide that it is time for me to leave, I walk out and dump my half-full latte at the same trash bin SuMin dumps  the photos before.
 
I know SuMin doesn’t want me to keep thinking about him but my mind keeps on remembering KyungSoo. Without realizing it myself, my feet take me to the road I often used to with Kyungsoo.
 
My face must've been a big contrast to the sunny and cloudless sky above me. It feels so empty by my side because without his face beside me, I have nothing to focus my sight on.
 

 

The small breeze hit my face and I could feel myself refreshed and relaxed, with our hands still intertwined with each other’s.

 
“Finally, a breath of fresh air,I exaggerated in oxygen 'till my chest became so puffed out.
 
“You’re talking as if you just came out of prison,” he chuckled as he used his free hand to ruffle my neatly styled hair. I pouted immediately and fixed my hair with my other hand.
“KyungSoo, let’s eat! I’m really hungry,I said as I dramatically clutched my stomach to prove my point.
His eyes doubled in size, as if that’s possible. “We just finished our lunch, Lee HyeShin. What do you mean you’re hungry?”
“So? That doesn’t mean I can’t be hungry anymore,” I puffed my cheek in fake annoyance.
“No, you can’t eat anymore. It's been literally only 15 minutes since we finished eating,” he looked into my eyes sternly. Geez, I hate it when he gets all serious.
“Fine."
“Good girl,” he smiled and ruffled my hair again as I my pout deepend.
 
I can barely remember the feeling of his hand in my hair, his face as he showed me that boyish grin I love so much. Oh gosh, I miss him so much.
 

 

I take a seat and calm myself down. I hadn’t shed a tear for 7 months and I am not going to break my silent promise not to cry to myself.

Everything reminds me of KyungSoo. I even throw everything that I had of Kyungsoo to vanish every memory and every hope. But I still can’t go forward and still can't make myself believe that KyungSoo's my past.
 
I’ve never told anyone about the reason I broke up with KyungSoo. Maybe it's because I don’t know the reason myself, or maybe it's because if I do, everyone is going to hate me for being this selfish person. I am selfish. I promise to always be by his side, to be a home for him, but here I am, regretting the selfish choice I made a year ago.
 

 

“Lee HyeShin?”

A middle aged woman, who sat in front of me, looked sternly at me. I could even feel a disdain feeling she directed at me from her eyes. I bowed slightly and murmured a greeting with my head lowered, couldn't bring myself to look at her steely eyes.
 
We both took a sit facing each other. Stuffy silence is in the air. Then, she broke the ice by saying, “I’m not going to chitty-chat with you and just get to the point."
 
“Break up with KyungSoo.”
My grip on my white mug, which was filled with hot vanilla latte, tightened. My knuckles turned white and my face became as pale as sheet.
 
She continued, saying it with her emotionless and cold facade.
 
“You know that he doesn’t have his parents anymore, right?” I could do nothing but nod at her question.
“I’m his aunt. I’m going to work in New York soon and he has to be with me there,” she reasoned. “I don’t want any drama between you and KyungSoo that will trouble me in any way. I’ve already had enough trouble when I found out that he’s dating someone like you.Her harsh words stab me right through. I felt all of my emotions swirling inside me, and my heart felt like it would burst out of my ribcage. My eyes watered.
 
“I’m sure you would forget about him fast enough, and KyungSoo will definitely find a more.. suitable girl for himself in New York.”
She stared at me hardly, “I hope you can cooperate.”
 
And with that she stood up, gave me one last look, and walked out of the door.
 
I finally blinked and for that, my tears won’t stop drenching my face. I sobbed quietly in that empty coffee shop, trying to control my emotions and thought of what I had to do after this.
 

 

Just then, a loud ringtone coming out of my phone bring me back, I immediately answer the call.

 
“Hello?”
“Boss, you have a meeting in 15 minutes,” YooRa, my assistant, reported.
“I’ll be right there soon,” I said as hang up and stand up and started to walk.
 

 

“KyungSoo,” my voice cracked slightly, but still I could stop the tears at bay.

“Why?” his voice was calm, but his eyes was filled with worry and pain.
“I..” I looked into his eyes to find some courage, but found none.
I couldn’t help but felt like I’m crushing my own heart, and the heart of someone I love.
“Why?” his voice wavered.
I took a deep breath to calm myself. I don’t need a reason, do i? I scanned his face, particularly his soft round eyes that I am definitely going to miss.
“Lee HyeShin, why are you doing this…” he tried to hold my hand but I stepped back before he could touch me again, because I might break down right there.
 
“It's for the best KyungSoo, I’m sorry. Goodbye.”
My eyes lingered for awhile at his lips, but I pulled away and turned my back to him.
As I walked away, I could feel the road I went through marked with my overflowing tears, as if saying farewell to a path I had said goodbye to.
 

 

I quicken my pace as 10 seconds left before the traffic lights turn green. By the time it's only 3 seconds to go, I immediately slow down and catch my breath to continue walking slowly.

 
I sigh deeply while waiting for another 30 seconds to pass for another red light. I run my sleeve to my forehead to clear the sweat from getting into my eyes, while my other hand is failing at fanning me.
 
Suddenly, I freeze. I thought I just saw someone that I think I recognize between these vehicles at full speed. Am I starting to imagining things? I sigh. When the lights for the pedestrian to walk was on, I quickly walk to the other side.
 
But, maybe this is not my lucky day, I bump into someone and causes the other person's files to scatter on the road. On reflex, I immediately kneel down and gather the papers.
Finally, when I have gathered the last of the papers, I looked up to meet the eyes of the guy I knocked out.
 
I gasped in shock. My breathing stops. My blood circulation pumps faster than average. My liver feels like falling. He was in front of me, Do KyungSoo. KyungSoo is now infront of me.
 

 

“Do you believe that it’s a coincidence that we met?” I ask as I stir my hot chocolate.
“Coincidence? I’m not going to call this coincidence,” he looks at me with his two beautiful round shining eyes.
“Then?” I look up from my drink to be caught in his mesmerizing eyes, his hand reached out to mine, and hold it passionately. Our gaze are locked. He smiled.
 
“This is our destiny."