Part 2

To Walk A Fine Line

 

Day twenty nine post ‘the day’, Seohyun clamped her hands and said solemnly to the soccer team after the practice, “We’re going to have end of season party after the next match, isn’t it great?” She proceeded with glancing to Yifan with a wistful gaze, which Yifan completely missed since he’s scratching dirt on his shoes.

 

Luhan leaned on Minseok and whispered, “We need to keep an eye on Seohyun at the party. From what I see, she’s determined to jump on Yifan the next time Yifan breathes next to her. Who knows if she’s planning to attack Yifan when he’s drunk. Let’s protect our national treasure, Yifan’s ity.”

 

Minho who overheard him snorted, choking up on his drink and Seohyun threw a glare at him because she felt interrupted.  Minseok simply rolled his eyes and pushed Luhan away from his side.

 

“Ah, I talked to Joohee and she agrees to go with us, so we’ll have our party with the cheerleaders,” Seohyun continued, and this time she got wonderful response from the team.

 

Following the boys cheers, there’s a loud cheer from the cheerleaders and the soccer players turned their heads, curious. It seemed like the cheerleaders wanted to try a big stunt since almost all of them were in the formation, and Bomi’s hair color stuck out; she’s standing in front of the formation.

 

Joohee gave out the cue, “Ready? Five, six, seven, eight! One, two—”

 

Bomi made a backward salto into the formation, before she’s being pulled up and stood in an extension prep position in the middle. There were three fliers total, and they all were thrown up, but Luhan’s eyes stayed with Bomi, seeing how her ombre hair twirled prettily as she spun twice mid-air, performing more difficult stunt that the other fliers on her side. 

 

By the end of the stunt, when the three fliers already landed safely on the ground, the soccer players stood up and clapped for them with enthusiasm, and the cheerleaders clapped happily too, crowding around Bomi and patted her back since she’s their new flyer. 

 

The soccer team would have one last match before the break began, and of course the cheerleaders would be there.

 

It would be Bomi’s debut as the cheerleader, Luhan supposed.

 

***

 

Day thirty-three post ‘the day’ was the day for their last match this session and Minseok was burning with desire to win, even more than usual. Luhan didn’t share the sentiment, because Chorong would be there, cheering for Woohyun, and Luhan wanted to stab his eyes just at the mere thought. It’s already a month, when would he get over his feelings for Chorong?

 

They warmed up on the side of the field along with the cheerleaders, and while stretching, Luhan saw Joohee gave Bomi a pep talk. She put her hands on the younger’s shoulders, and Bomi nodded, biting her nails with unfocused eyes. Luhan overheard, “You will be fine,” from Joohee, and she smiled gently to ease Bomi’s nervousness, but all she got was another absentminded nod.

 

Luhan remembered the mental break down he had on the first match after the coach appointed him as the striker, the burden of the expectation after he played his way to the position. Even now after countless matches, he still felt it, the unpleasant feeling in his stomach that only disappeared when he’s already chasing the ball on the field. Taking pity on the new cheerleader, he rummaged through his duffel bag and managed to find his secret stash of chocolate bar.

 

He made sure Seohyun was not around when he took out the chocolate, he’s not supposed to have it.

 

“Hey,” he patted Bomi’s shoulder and she jumped in her heels.

 

“I’m not doing the Gorilla Walk!” she blurted out the moment she saw Luhan, pupils shaking and unfocused.

 

Luhan only raised his eyebrows, unimpressed with her reaction. Perhaps Minseok was right, he traumatized the kid. “Of course you’re not, silly. Here, for you,” he hit the chocolate bar on Bomi’s head lightly. “It calms me down, maybe it can help you too.”

 

Bomi blinked a couple times before she regained her consciousness, her eyes’ landed on the chocolate and she took it from Luhan. “For me? … Thank you…” Then, as if she suddenly had a thought about it, she added, “Do I need to do something for you in return, Sunbaenim?!”

 

“No, do you think I’m that low,” Luhan flicked Bomi’s forehead. The sheepish, awkward smile Bomi gave to him answered Luhan’s question. He clucked unhappily. “Anyway, don’t worry too much, I’m sure you’ll do well. Just look at me being amazing and you’ll find strength.” What Luhan received from the girl this time was a pitiful gaze, as if Luhan’s vain was an incurable disease. He rolled his eyes; at least Bomi didn’t look as nervous as before.         

 

“Luhan! Come here!” Minseok shouted, calling the other soccer players to gather.

 

“In a minute!” Luhan shouted back before he turned to face Bomi again. Anxiety was back on her eyes as soon as Luhan took his attention away, and he put both hands on Bomi’s shoulders, matching her eyes’ level and held his gaze there. “Remember, eyes on me, alright?”

 

Regardless of her previous act of belittling Luhan’s over-confidence, Bomi nodded, and this time it was not an absent-minded one like she previously gave to Joohee, it’s filled with determination and a promise now.

 

Luhan grinned, forgetting that he wanted to stab his eyes just earlier.  

 

***

 

Hours later at night, still day thirty-three post ‘the day’, Luhan found himself nursing a big glass of beer in his hand – he couldn’t remember how many glasses he already took alongside the soju shots, but his tolerance was quite high so he kept on going. Although it’s a celebratory for the soccer team and the cheerleaders, it’s not a private party, they could ask their friends to come if they wanted.

 

Friends, boyfriends, girlfriends; Chorong.

 

The girl was sitting at the other side of the room – they rent out a bar for the end of the season party – alongside Seohyun, Joohee and other senior cheerleaders. Woohyun would drop by from time to time, making sure his girlfriend had a good time with her friends, before he left to join Howon and Sungyeol at his own table.

 

Yoonjo and Minhyuk who took it upon themselves to be the some kind of MC of the night sent Zitao off from the stage, he had been singing a mellow Chinese song and it’s obvious that he’s drunk since he broke down crying in the middle of the song – and that’s the reason he’s being kicked off from the stage, the MCs decided he’s killing the celebratory mood among them. Of course they won the match, again, and Luhan thought he probably should make a shrine for the MVP medals he gathered.

 

“We need someone to save the night!” Minhyuk yelled through the mic, surprisingly still quite sober after the amount of soju shots he drank. “Who do you think will be our savior, Yoonjo?”

 

Yoonjo giggled excessively with a red face. “I know, someone’s perfect! You know, our youngest flyer? Wonderful, isn’t she! Jjang, jjang girl,” she started to ramble.  “Cutie Bomi!”

 

They clapped and whooped furiously for the junior cheerleader, who stood up from her place and bowed to several directions, sporting a silly grin on her face. It seemed like she’s been drinking a lot.

 

“Should we see her famous Gorilla Walk?” Minhyuk asked to the crowd, directing the mic to them. He’s taking the whole MC thing too seriously.  

 

“YES!” almost all of them answered, including Luhan and Minseok by his side, and they started to chant Bomi’s name. “Yoon Bomi! Yoon Bomi! Yoon Bomi!” Bomi didn’t hesitate at all this time, staggering to the stage and took the place in the middle between Minhyuk and Yoonjo.

 

“Bomi!” Bomi shouted, raising her hand up, “Will do the Gorilla Walk!” she grinned cheerily, all teeth’s showing. The Gorilla Walk definitely lifted the mood again – even though it’s never really down before, even when Zitao cried they still too happy to care – and it’s funnier because she’s drunk. Luhan snorted when Minhyuk and Yoonjo tried to copy her; they’re nowhere as funny as Bomi. He excused himself to the bathroom.

 

When he walked out after taking a piss, he immediately bumped into someone. Luhan reached out on reflex, catching the person by the arm before she fell flat onto the floor. The hair color was a dead giveaway who was it.

 

“Bomi?” Luhan helped the girl to stand straight but he didn’t let go of her arm, afraid that she would collapse if he did so.

 

Bomi looked up, and she needed a moment to recognize Luhan. “Lu-God,” she croaked out, face pale. Luhan sincerely hoped she wouldn’t puke in front of him.

 

He glanced back to the middle of the room, Minseok was on the stage now, singing. Chorong was still on her seat, clapping following the beat, a big, bright smile on her face. Luhan looked away. “Let’s get you some fresh air.”

 

Bomi nodded weakly, letting Luhan helped her walk out from the bar through the exit door. Luhan managed to snatch a bottle of water on their way out, and he handed it to Bomi after they’re outside, sitting on the sidewalk.

 

“Thank you, Sunbaenim,” Bomi said after she gulped down half of the water.

 

Luhan just nodded curtly. He’s not a noisy drunk, it’s the contrary. When there’s alcohol in his system, Luhan turned into a quiet one, full of thoughts, but thankfully not up to the point he’s being emotional and embarrassing himself. He didn’t really have a bad drunk habit. He saw Minho kissed everyone when he’s drunk – Yifan was one of the unlucky victims and Minho didn’t know why Seohyun kept on giving him extra round of exercise for two weeks – and on the cases like Zitao they just weep about everything, thinking they’re a failure. No, Luhan was just being a normal human – unlike his daily persona. 

 

Bomi nudged him by the arm, offering the rest of the water to him. Luhan accepted it without a word, eyes fixed to nothing at far, and he chugged down a lot of water at once.  

 

“Not only for this,” the girl whispered quietly, taking Luhan’s attention to her. “But also… thank you, for this morning.”

 

Luhan raised his eyebrows before he finally caught on. “Ah…,” he wiped his mouth, smiling a little. When the cheerleaders perform the big stunt during the break, they were flawless, as far as Luhan could tell, and Bomi’s smile was like sunshine when she landed. “Did you really look at me?”

 

“Um!” Bomi nodded, admitting it easily. “I really, really, didn’t take my eyes off of you.” Luhan blinked, the words fell to his heart, and slowly, Luhan turned to stare at Bomi. Her cheeks were flaming, her eyes were gleaming. She continued to talk, didn’t minding Luhan’s eyes on her, “You change on the field, Sunbaenim. It’s like, like you’re flying, when you’re dribbling the ball. You’re... glowing. No wonder people like you, so much.”

 

Bomi grinned, finally meeting Luhan’s eyes, and Luhan was still too stunned with the compliment that he ended just staring back into her eyes. He heard compliments about his skill, both sincere and fake, some were only ways to get onto his good side, some onto his pants, some were actually genuine, for example from Minseok and very rarely from Seohyun, but never before a compliment as honest yet as glorifying as Bomi’s.

 

“That’s why I gained strength! Our college has you as the star, it would be embarrassing if I didn’t do well. So I tried my best, so you wouldn’t be ashamed with the cheerleader team,” Bomi said, grinning widely, and something clicked on Luhan’s mind. She’s a talkative drunk, an honest one.

 

“… Thanks,” Luhan finally said. “You did really well.”  

 

Bomi giggled, and suddenly she tilted her head to Luhan’s direction.

 

Luhan stared at the crown of her head confusedly, but then he realized. Oh. She’s asking for a pat. Chuckling, he petted Bomi’s head, and the girl let out a hum. “You’re really cute when you’re drunk.”

 

He kept on Bomi’s head absent-mindedly, and Bomi was probably close to doze off, head’s getting closer to Luhan’s shoulder, but then they heard someone opened the exit door. Luhan turned his head, catching sight of Seohyun with Yifan. Seohyun was looking around as if she’s making sure that there’s no one around, and Luhan ducked his head automatically, hiding behind bushes that coincidentally were there between him and Seohyun.

 

Bomi whined for the loss of Luhan’s touch on her head, and Luhan clamped his hand over , dragging her with him to hide.

 

Yifan waited until Seohyun faced him before he asked, “You want to talk?” Although his face was scary with the thick eyebrows, Yifan was actually very gentle and absolutely kind – a little bit dense and oblivious, but still kind – and now was no different. He had a small smile on his face, it didn’t seem like he’s been drinking. If Luhan remembered it clearly, Yifan only drank the beer, and he’s still on his first glass when Luhan left.

 

“Yes,” Seohyun breathed out, blushing, and Luhan thought it had nothing to do with alcohol. Seohyun looked a little bit different since the beginning of the party, she didn’t nag at them at all. Maybe this was the reason why. “Actually, I... I ask you to come with me, because… I… Um, I…”

 

“Hey,” Yifan touched Seohyun’s arm and she flinched a little. “Calm down. Are you okay? Do you need me to get you water? You already eat, right?”

 

“Yes, yes. No!” she quickly said when Yifan mistook her answer as she indeed needed water. “I mean, I’m fine, it’s just… I’m… All this time…”

 

Bomi poked Luhan’s arm, asking for his attention. They’re squatting behind the bushes, and Luhan put his finger in front of his lips, petting Bomi’s head for good measure. Judging from Bomi’s content smile, it worked.

 

Seohyun took a deep breath, and she looked straight at Yifan. “Yifan, I really like you, ever since you join the club. I like you, Yifan, and I… And I hope we can… go out together. Like… a couple.” She lowered her stare then, closing her eyes tight, biting her lips. 

 

A confession.

 

Something that Luhan didn’t get to do.

 

He crossed his fingers, wishing the best for Seohyun.

 

Yifan didn’t answer immediately, it seemed Seohyun’s confession took him aback. “Seohyun, I…” Seohyun looked up, and saw the apologetic gaze he gave. “I’m really sorry. I never… I—Thank you for your feelings, but… I don’t feel the same way. I’m sorry.”

 

It was Seohyun who got rejected, but Luhan felt the sting in his heart. Bomi, too, finally sobered enough to understand the situation, and she hugged her knees in a childish manner. Broken heart never felt good, even if it happened to other person.

 

Yifan looked incredibly sorry and also didn’t know what to do, and Seohyun forced a smile. “Ah, it’s alright! I-I understand!” she smiled, raking her hair in order to do something. “It’s not like I—I mean—Well, things like this happens…”

 

When Yifan took a step forward to reach her, Seohyun moved away. She tried to brush it off with a laugh, but got choked up in the end. “I’m sorry, can… Can you go inside first? Thank you… for listening to me. But, just… Please.”

 

The goalkeeper took a moment before he nodded silently, leaving Seohyun behind as he went back to the bar.

 

After the door was closed, Seohyun sobbed loudly, breaking into tears.

 

Bomi whimpered and she almost stood up to comfort Seohyun, but Luhan held her back, shaking his head. He whispered, “… Let her keep her pride. She was holding back so Yifan doesn’t see her cry. Let’s leave her alone.”

 

Throwing a last glance at the crying Seohyun, Bomi finally nodded, and together they crawled until they’re far enough from Seohyun’s place. They found an empty bench and Bomi sat herself there, bringing her legs up right after and placed her chin on top of her knee. Luhan sat beside her, also feeling rather glum after witnessing the rejection.

 

“… It’s sad,” Bomi whispered, and it’s even sadder because they could hear the loud music and the cheers from inside the bar yet they knew Seohyun was not a part of all the merriness.

 

“Yeah, it is…,” Luhan agreed. “… But at least, Seohyun got to tell Yifan her feelings. And even if Yifan doesn’t like her back, he knows, he’ll think about it, and she won’t be haunted with what if,” he added bitterly in the end.

 

Bomi looked at him, long enough to make Luhan felt conscious about it. “Sunbaenim… You didn’t get to confess…?”

 

Luhan shook his head, trying to smile while he dug onto the ground with his sneakers. “No. She gets herself a boyfriend before I could.” The thought of Chorong made his mouth felt dry and he uncapped the bottle he’s been holding, finishing the water off. Bomi just kept her silence.

 

“… She’s Seohyun’s friend,” Luhan wasn’t sure himself why he told Bomi this, he never told anyone, not even Minseok, about his feelings for Chorong, and yet here he was, telling a girl he knew barely a month ago. “She came to our practice, once, waiting for Seohyun. I fell. Got a pretty deep cut on my knee. It was her who helped to treat my wound.” He sighed, closing his eyes, the image of Chorong’s smile after she cleaned his wound was still vivid on his head. “… At that time, I thought… I’m seeing an angel… But that’s probably because anyone would seem like an angel compared to Seohyun.”

 

Luhan chuckled and Bomi smiled along softly to humor him, even though her gaze was sorrowful.    

 

“She showed up after our matches, congratulating us when we won, telling us we did a great job even when we lost, and since she’s also friends with some players, sometimes she joined us during gathering like this. Then she started to come to our practices, just watching from the bleachers with her other friends… And I thought… you know, maybe, she…” Luhan didn’t finish his sentence, only shaking his head. “… Anyway, I was thinking of confessing to her last month, when I saw her with her boyfriend. And even then, even after she has a boyfriend… I still think of her.”

 

Bomi still didn’t say anything.

 

Luhan’s heart was aching.

 

He snorted and wiped his nose. “You must be thinking I’m pathetic.”

 

“… I don’t,” Bomi said earnestly, and when Luhan looked at her she stared back to show him she meant it. “What’s pathetic about liking someone?”

 

Luhan his dry lips, wasn’t really prepared with a question like that. “But she has a boyfriend already, I should… I should forget her soon.”

 

This time Bomi nodded, still hugging her knees. “You probably should. It’s probably better if you do. But if feelings are that easy, Seohyun Sunbaenim wouldn’t be crying right now. We don’t get to choose who we like or don’t like. Don’t force your heart, Sunbaenim, it’s okay to take things slowly. When the time is right…,” Bomi rested her cheek on top of her knee and she smiled while looking at Luhan, “… You’ll forget her, and you’ll find someone who will love you back, someone who means to be yours.”

 

Luhan didn’t know why.

 

Maybe it was the way the street lamp shone its light onto Bomi’s face, or the faint sounds behind them serving as the background noise, or maybe because Bomi looked so serene with her smile, maybe because Bomi said the words he needed to hear, or maybe, simply because it’s the alcohol inside him, but suddenly Luhan felt peaceful.

 

He didn’t feel anger towards Woohyun anymore, or towards Chorong, and most importantly, not to himself. It’s okay that he still loved Chorong, he would get over it with time.  

 

And Bomi didn’t say someone better or someone who deserves you because right now Luhan was very much still in love with Chorong and he didn’t want to hear about her being not enough and didn’t deserve him or something along that line that was supposed to cheered him up, Bomi said someone who means to be yours.

 

Luhan was grateful.

 

“… I like you,” he said quietly, patting Bomi’s head. “You’re like Minseok.” Minseok tolerated Luhan and his recklessness and his stupidity and Luhan in general. “But a nicer version of Minseok.” Bomi chuckled, and when Luhan offered her, “Do you want me to hook you up with him?” Bomi chuckled harder. “Do you like someone? A senior? I’ll help you.”

 

“No, thanks,” she said, finally stretching her legs out. “I don’t like anyone right now.”

 

“No one?”

 

“Nooope.”

 

“What’s your type? Really, I know a lot of people, I can introduce you to someone.”

 

Bomi laughed, her voice was light and clear on Luhan’s ears. “Well, if you insist…” She swung her legs like a little kid, and Luhan watched them until Bomi spoke again. “I just want someone who takes good care of me. Someone with a good first impression. I think it’s very important.”

 

He frowned a little because the description was too vague. It could be anyone. But then he remembered his first encounter with Bomi, how he bullied her into doing a gorilla walk. “Well, then I guess it’s not me,” he jokingly said, and Bomi laughed again.

 

“I guess it’s not you, Sunbaenim.” She yawned after that, didn’t bother to cover so Luhan did it for her, furrowing his eyebrows in disapproval because how come a girl was this ungraceful. At least Bomi had the tendency to look sheepish.

 

They were quiet after that, just listening to the blaring music from the bar, the party was still on inside – they probably wouldn’t stop until morning. Luhan glanced to the side, watching Bomi’s eyes started to flutter close.

 

“What are you thinking now?” he asked, keeping his voice low.

 

“… I think…,” Bomi rubbed her eyes with her fist sleepily, “… I think my first impression of you was wrong, Sunbaenim.”

 

There’s an uncontrollable smile tugging on Luhan’s lips. “You do? Is it worse now? Or better?”

 

“Def—” she yawned again but remembered to cover it this time, “… Definitely better. So this is why people like you...? Not only because you’re glowing when you’re on the field… But you’re just… you,” she waved carelessly at Luhan’s direction. “You’re just… great.”

 

Before Luhan could fully processed what Bomi was saying, she already pulled her legs and made herself comfortable on the empty side of the bench, curling up and falling into slumber.

 

Staring at the sleeping girl, Luhan wondered whether everything she said was her true thoughts, and whether she would remember all of those tomorrow in the morning.