A Tenuous Plan

The Bubble Wrap Affair

In hindsight, Hoon thought, everything was Soohyun's fault. After Hoonbi had pulled Hoon back to earth and helped him realize that his money-saving idea regarding the DNA accessories was a poorly thought out one, Soohyun had noticed Hoon's slightly dejected appearance and had asked Hoonbi what had happened to him. Hoonbi, of course, hadn't shared Hoon's idea with Soohyun, and had merely told him that Hoon had an idea to save money that wouldn't work after all. Soohyun, in turn, had somehow mentioned this to Kiseop, and Kiseop, ever the miser, had listened with rapt attention, ears perked up.

"Hey, Hoonie," Kiseop said as he caught up to Hoon after practice. "I heard you had an idea for the fundraiser that could save us some money."

"You did?" Hoon asked, incredulous. "Did Hoonbi tell you?"

Kiseop shook his head. "No, I heard from Soohyun."

"Soohyun?!" Hoon stared at Kiseop, alarmed. Did Soohyun know about his brief plans to replace the DNA accessories with the Soohyun-covered bubble wrap from the couch?

"Yeah, he just said you were feeling down because your idea wasn't going to work...but I thought maybe we could talk it over!" Kiseop said, always on the lookout for a good money-saving plan.

Hoon nodded slowly. It wouldn't hurt to talk things over with Kiseop. Perhaps they could salvage something of his idea after all.

"We need to go somewhere private," he whispered, casting a suspicious glance at the other members, who were busy catching their breath and packing up. "Soohyun can't know."

"Soohyun-hyung can't know?" Kiseop's eyes widened. He had been looking to save money for the group, but now it seemed he had stumbled across an elaborate scheme against Soohyun. Feeling as though he had just discovered a secret bigger than himself, he followed Hoon out of the practice room.

"We can talk in my car," Kiseop offered, and Hoon readily agreed.
 

Kiseop and Hoon settled into the front seat of Kiseop's shining, clean car, each waiting for the other to speak first.

"Whatever the idea is," Kiseop mused, "if it can save us money while we're fundraising, I say we should try it. If we make more money, we can do more for the fans with our special album."

"It's not that great of an idea, though," Hoon said. "Hoonbi was right. It's not-"

"Don't put yourself down like that, Hoonie! I'm sure it's a great idea."

"There might be a few issues..."

"Nothing we can't straighten out!"

Hoon bit his lip. "I'm not sure..."

"It doesn't hurt to hear it! Go ahead and tell me about it," Kiseop encouraged him.

Hoon slowly relaxed a bit, calling to mind the details of his abandoned idea. Maybe there was some truth in what Kiseop had said. The flattened sheet of bubble wrap had just been sitting on their couch (frequently accompanied by Soohyun) for a while now, and it was time for a change. Preferably a clean, profitable change.

"Well," Hoon began, shifting in the passenger seat, "Soohyun-hyung is always at home, and Hoonbi-hyung and I were tired of cleaning the couch, so I put some bubble wrap on it to keep the couch clean."

By this point, Kiseop, who had become mildly alarmed at the mention of Soohyun's perpetual , was thoroughly perplexed. But he maintained some hope that Hoon's idea, however strangely it had come to be, could save the group money. He listened attentively.

Hoon sighed. "All of the bubbles were popped overnight, and now we can't do much with it. After we got the memo about the DNA accessory, I realized that there are several sheets of DNA accessory, all ready to go, on the couch. Of course it's only Soohyun-hyung's DNA, but..."

Kiseop stared at Hoon, somewhat taken aback.

"We can't do that," he said, giving Hoon a look. "It's really strange. We just...can't."

Hoon nodded. "I told you it wouldn't work."

"You didn't tell me it involved distributing Soohyun's DNA using bubble wrap. That's a really strange idea."

"I hadn't had much sleep when I thought of it," Hoon admitted, "and I just wanted to get rid of the plastic. Maybe get rid of the couch, too."

"It's okay, Hoonie," Kiseop said kindly, patting Hoon on the shoulder. "Just get some good rest. I'm sure we'll raise enough money from the fundraiser. The DNA accessory sounds like a neat idea. Everyone loves key chains and phone charms!"

"Have you talked to Kevin about it yet?" Hoon asked. "Because I don't think it's exactly like that..."

And so Hoon and Kiseop chatted in Kiseop's car for several more minutes, during which Hoon explained to Kiseop what "DNA accessory" meant, which was followed by a brief crisis and text to Kevin. Overall, it had been a good day. Despite Hoon's plan's lack of usability, Kiseop's mind, which had been racing with anticipation at the prospect of a good plan, had calmed somewhat. Furthermore, Kiseop could rest assured that there was no strange plot against Soohyun- only a caring, slightly disgruntled pair of Yeo brothers. And Hoon could rest assured that his bandmates would always be interested in his ideas, no matter how far-fetched or strange they might be.