DNA Accessory

The Bubble Wrap Affair

    “DNA accessory?” Hoon frowned as he read the text from Soohyun. “That’s not quite the phrase we had in mind when we told the CEO about our idea to raise money for the special album.”

    “Well, that’s what he came up with,” Soohyun said, walking into the living room and flopping down onto the couch.

    Hoon looked up, then quickly looked away. “Hyung! Can’t you at least put some pants on?”

    “This is my space too,” Soohyun said good-naturedly. “We’re both men. It doesn’t matter.”

    Hoon groaned inwardly. After about a week of the couch being covered in bubble wrap, Soohyun had managed to pop every bubble. Neither Hoon nor Hoonbi wanted to know exactly what kinds of activities Soohyun had been engaging in that might have popped the bubbles, but they were both somewhat surprised that the protective cover hadn’t lasted longer. “If you’re really passionate about something, anything is possible,” Hoonbi had said grimly when he had discovered the flattened bubble wrap one morning.

    Hoon looked back at his phone’s screen. DNA...accessory? Something about it sounded slightly off, but he wasn’t completely sure since it was in English. He decided to ask Kevin.

    Kevin-ah, Hoon wrote, what is DNA accessory?

    DNA accessory? Uh...why?

    Soohyun-hyung says that we’re giving away something called a DNA accessory for the fundraiser for the album. What’s the phrase like in English? I’ve never heard of it.

    It sounds a little weird, I guess. You mean like a keychain? Shaped like DNA?

    “Hyung, what’s a DNA accessory?” Hoon asked, looking up with closed eyes.

    Soohyun glanced up. “It’s the prize for the fundraiser, remember? We were just talking about it.”

    “No, I mean...what is it?”

    Soohyun frowned thoughtfully. “I think it’s an item we’ve touched. The DNA is our DNA. Because we’ve touched the item.”

    “What?” Hoon’s eyes flew open in surprise, and he immediately regretted it. “Ahhh! Hyung!

    “Hoonmin, I just explained it,” Soohyun said, sounding slightly annoyed. “Why do you keep asking?”

    Hoon typed out his response to Kevin’s text.

    Soohyun-hyung says it’s our DNA. The prizes are things we’ve touched. So...DNA...accessory?

    DNA accessory? That’s a bit… o.o It’s alright, though. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

    Hoon sat back in his chair and squeezed his eyes shut, listening to the sound of Soohyun tapping something out on his phone and shifting on the plastic-covered couch. DNA accessory? Hoon couldn’t decide whether it sounded futuristic or creepy. Maybe it would make more sense to him if he were a native English speaker. It would certainly take some time for every member to touch all of the accessories. And it wasn’t as if they could just send out things that the members had already been touching on a regular basis-

    Hoon jumped out of his seat, opening his eyes to reveal Soohyun in all of his glory. But for once, Hoon didn’t care. Hoon had an idea. An idea that would make the entire DNA accessory process more efficient. And it was all thanks to Soohyun.

    When Hoonbi returned from work that evening, Hoon met him at the door.

    “Hyung!” Hoon popped out from behind the door, startling Hoonbi into dropping his car keys.

    “What’s up, Hoonmin?"

    “I think I found a way we can make the best of this situation.” Hoon gave his brother a pointed look.

    “What situation?”

    “The couch,” Hoon whispered.

    “Is Soohyun here?” Hoonbi craned his neck, peering into the living room.

    “He’s sleeping in his room.”

    Hoonbi nodded. “Alright, what’s the plan?”

    “Well…” Hoon wasn’t sure where to begin. “There’s this prize for our fundraiser, DNA accessory, and…”

    “What?” Hoonbi drew his eyebrows together as he took a seat in the chair Hoon had been sitting in earlier. He and Hoon often had to fight for that chair when they had guests. They couldn’t let guests sit on the couch, and that left only one seat.

    “We touch the prize. It’s our DNA.”

    “Ah.”

    “Anyway,” Hoon continued, “I thought of a plan that will make the prize-making process more efficient and give us a way to get rid of the bubble wrap!”

    “You want to get rid of the bubble wrap?” Hoonbi asked, looking at Hoon as though he were crazy. “Are you crazy? That’s the only thing standing between Soohyun and the couch!”

    “Exactly.” Hoon looked pointedly at his elder brother. “Think about it. We have several sheets of DNA accessory right here. We can save so much money and maximize our profits for the fundraiser.”

    “I don’t want to think about it,” Hoonbi said with a grimace.

    “If we cut the bubble wrap into squares, everyone can have a plastic square that has been touched by Shin Soohyun!”

    “Hoonmin,” Hoonbi said slowly, attempting to be the voice of reason, “you mean a plastic square that has been touched by Shin Soohyun’s-”

    “What’s going on?” Soohyun wandered into the living room. He was, by some miracle, wearing sweatpants.

“Nothing!” Hoon said quickly.

“I heard my name.”

“Sorry, hyung. It’s a surprise.”

Soohyun shrugged and made his way into the kitchen. Hoonbi leaned closer to Hoon, his face serious.

“Hoonmin,” he hissed, “you can’t give that bubble wrap to the fans.”

“But it’s Soohyun’s DNA! DNA accessory!” Hoon protested.

“But you can’t know for sure where the DNA came from,” Hoonbi insisted. “Technology is really advanced these days. If you give the wrong kind of DNA to the wrong person, couldn’t someone do something weird with it?”

Hoon considered this for a moment. “What are you talking about?”

Hoonbi threw his hands in the air. “All I’m saying is, don’t blame me when someone comes forward with a child of Soohyun’s that they conceived from something on that bubble wrap.”

Hoon blanched. “Oh. Oh.”

“It’s okay, Hoonmin.” Hoonbi patted Hoon on the shoulder as he got up from the chair. “It was a clever idea.”

Soohyun passed through the living room again at that moment, and he patted Hoon on the shoulder as well.

“It’s okay, Hoon,” he said. “I’m sure that whatever it was, it was a good idea. You have really good ideas.”
“Thanks, hyung.” Hoon gave him a small smile. “I appreciate it.”