Chapter Six

This Ain't No Heaven

“Yunnie, that’s Minnie’s friends!” Jaejoong squealed, dragging Yunho behind him, as if he wasn’t the King of all demons. Said King seemed only happy to comply.

Changmin cringed. “Jaejoong, could you not call me — ”

“Yes, Minnie and I are great friends!” Kyuhyun said loudly. He ignored the furious look Changmin shot him, and focused his bright gaze and beaming smile (“deceptive little ,” Changmin grumbled) at Yunho. “I’m also severely disabled, ever since I got into this terrible accident.” The smile faded as he said these words.

Changmin decided that “deceptive little ” wasn’t a strong enough title.

“It breaks my heart,” Jaejoong whispered, and, ever the drama queen, held his hand to his chest, his eyes misting over.

“Boo, are you crying?” Yunho asked, his brow creasing in concern.

“It’s just so tragic!” Jaejoong sniffed. “Look at his poor tail…Yunho, we must let him stay here! We have a duty as the rulers, and ultimate power couple, of this land!”

Changmin felt his jaw clench. “Well, actually, I think — ”

“Well of course he can stay, Boo!” Yunho said, staring adoringly at Jaejoong. “Why in the name of Hell would I say otherwise?”

“…Why the do I still live here?” Changmin muttered. “Does anyone even notice me?”

Jaejoong glanced at him. “What did you say?”

Changmin glared.

“Changmin’s just really excited at the prospect of a sleepover,” Kyuhyun interjected. He stared at Yunho, his eyes roving over him, a curious look on his face. A part of Changmin hoped to hell that Jaejoong would misunderstand and kick Kyuhyun out for in a fit of jealousy for ‘inappropriate thoughts’.

“So…you’re the King?” Kyuhyun asked at last. Changmin’s shoulders slumped; well, there went that possibility.

“Yes,” Yunho replied, looking proud.

“Wow!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, his eyes shining. “I can go home and tell my friends that I met a King and — well, if I still have a home that is…”

“Oh my god, what happened?” Jaejoong gasped, his hands flying to his mouth.

Changmin swallowed; he could already see thoughts of fires and flash floods flying through Jaejoong’s mind, and the realisation of what that could result in — an offer to live here permanently — was not something he wanted to deal with.

"I'll tell the servants to make a room for Kyuhyun," he called to Jaejoong and Yunho as he walked to the door. He ignored the angel's protests, and dragged his unwanted companion out of the room.

“But I want to sleep with you!” Kyuhyun complained as they walked down the (thankfully empty) corridor.

“ off,” Changmin snorted. “You are not sleeping with me.”

Kyuhyun, rather than looking offended (oh, what Changmin wouldn’t give for the slightest hint of embarrassment), giggled.

“ — it’s such a great word. So many bad connotations that would probably give Teukie-hyung an aneurism.” The angel laughed, clapping his hands together in glee. Changmin could see the bump on his back, from where Kyuhyun had hidden his wings, quivering slightly; Changmin was sure that if those wings were spread, they’d be moving rapidly, matching their owner’s excitement.

“Why the hell did you say you didn’t have a home anymore?” Changmin asked, deciding not to comment on Kyuhyun’s idiosyncrasies.

“Because I might get kicked out,” Kyuhyun replied, beaming at the prospect. “This is the baddest of the bad right? Breaking into Hell? Teukie-hyung is probably going to go berserk, and throw all my stuff from the highest cloud.”

Changmin rolled his eyes. “Well, I’m sure you’ll find a lovely home in the Human Realm. I’ll give you a housewarming gift if you like — Jaejoong has plenty of things he’d hate to lose.”

Kyuhyun glanced at him. “Or…I could move here." He shifted closer.

“Or you could move six feet under,” Changmin replied, his expression unchanging.

Kyuhyun’s eyes glazed over. “Death threats,” he breathed. “That is so — ”

“Come on, moron,” Changmin growled.

Changmin was enjoying the wonderful warmth and comfort of his bed, and the glorious silence (oh Devil, silence - you really didn't appreciate what you had until it was gone) of his room, when Kyuhyun struck again.

“Hot Demon Dude?” the angel inquired, walking into the room (without even bothering to knock, Changmin bitterly noted). “Can I come in?”

“What do you want?” Changmin muttered, his face pressed into his pillow.

“I had this really steamy dream,” Kyuhyun replied. Changmin felt his bed dip and he froze. He turned around, eyes wide.

“Why are you on my bed?” he demanded, trying to keep his voice low. He quickly glanced away from the angel, choosing to stare at the bed instead; Kyuhyun’s bed-hair was certainly a sight (a bad sight, he told himself, a little desperately; it was a bad sight).

“It involved you.”

“What?”

“The dream,” Kyuhyun replied, lying down beside Changmin. The demon winced and tried to move away, but only succeeded in trapping himself amongst the masses of bed sheet.

“Okay Kyuhyun, I really don’t want to know,” Changmin replied. He resorted to staring at the wall behind him, deciding that it was the furthest he could get from his personal tormenter.

“You were .”

“…Alright, back to your room.”

“But I can’t sleep,” Kyuhyun complained. Changmin felt hands on his arm, and then he was being wrenched around. He yelped as he fell unceremoniously on the mattress, inches away from Kyuhyun’s face. “I’m bored,” the angel continued, ignoring his companions indigenous and embarrassed exclamations. “Plus, this stupid costume is getting uncomfortable. Do you know how annoying having my wings under my shirt is?”

“You’re own fault,” Changmin retorted. “If you’d just gone home like I told you to…”

“But then I wouldn’t have the best bed buddy ever!” Kyuhyun replied, beaming.

“You aren’t going to be my bed buddy,” Changmin snapped. He glanced behind him, wondering if it was possible to throw Kyuhyun off the bed, without the angel dragging him with him. “In fact, you’re leaving tomorrow.”

“No I’m not.”

Changmin’s jaw clenched. “Oh yes you are.”

“What if I ask Jaejoong-hyung?” Kyuhyun questioned, smiling.

“That’s King Jaejoong to you,” Changmin scoffed. Sure, he’d happily replace his brother-in-law with a cow, but this worked in his favour.

“No it isn’t — he told me I could call him Jaejoong-hyung because 'I was just so adorable and tragic’.” Despite his innocent smile, Changmin could see a spark of something else in his eyes. "Aren't relationships based on lies just wonderful?”

Changmin stared. “I just don’t get you,” he said at last.

Kyuhyun smiled and shifted closer. “They say you can understand a person better if you see them .”

Changmin cringed.

“Completely bare — ”

“How did you become like this?!” Changmin shook his head in disbelief. “How the hell does an angel end up as ed as you?! I mean, I don’t even know half the ual innuendoes you do.”

“Let me tell you a story,” Kyuhyun replied, stretching. “You see, I wasn’t always this way. When I was still an impressionable little tyke, I was…boring.” He shuddered; the mere thought seemed to horrify him.

Changmin blinked. “Uh, Kyuhyun, I hope you realise that I wasn’t complementing you. You may not be ‘boring’ now, but it sure as hell isn’t a good thing — ”

“I’d sit around on clouds all day,” Kyuhyun continued, the loud sound of his voice cutting Changmin off, “and drink tea, and say my Hail Mary’s, and — and — I loved to play the harp.” He swallowed heavily, looking like he was about to cry.

Despite himself, Changmin felt his lips twitch. “So what happened?” he inquired.

“Now what — who.” Kyuhyun’s eyes sparkled. “One day, Heechul-hyung came into my life.”

Changmin frowned. “Uh — Heechul-hyung?”

“Oh, don’t be jealous,” Kyuhyun told him, patting his shoulder.

“I’m not!” Changmin snapped, flushing. “I just — ”

“You don’t have to be jealous of Heechul.” Kyuhyun smiled placatingly, as Changmin continued to splutter in protest. “I was just a kid, and I never saw him as anything more than a weird, and sometimes annoying mentor. No — I was holding out for someone who would give Teukie-hyung an early death — like you!” He beamed.

Changmin avoided his gaze.

“But anyway, I can’t remember how young I was — just that I was young. Heechul, who had just been freed from centuries of solitude in the Bad Angel Corner — ”

“Wait!” Changmin cried, cutting him off. “Centuries?! What the hell did this guy do?!”

Kyuhyun shrugged. “Oh, nobody knows,” he replied. “Some say he destroyed every harp in Heaven — I doubt it, since we’re still cursed with those horrible devices.” His pouted. “Some say he ran stark through Teukie-hyung’s One Thousandth Jubilee as Head Angel.”

“Did he?” Changmin asked. Okay, as eager as he was to get Kyuhyun out of his bed, the story was somewhat intriguing.

“Nah, he did that at his 1100th,” Kyuhyun replied, shrugging. “He only spent 10 years in the Bad Angel Corner for that, so it couldn't be the reason.”

“So why do you think he did it?” Changmin questioned.

Kyuhyun’s lips curved into a smirk. “The videos,” he replied, nodding his head.

“…The videos?”

“Yeah, the videos!” Kyuhyun continued to nod with large, enthusiastic bobs. “You asked me how I learnt my amazing pick up lines — Heechul-hyung stole some videos from the Human Realm and showed them to us. It made me realise — they have way more fun.”

For a moment, Changmin stared at Kyuhyun uncomprehendingly.

And then, well, he understood.

“You — you watched in Heaven?!”

“Oh yes,” Kyuhyun replied, his eyes shining with pride. He then cocked his head to the side, a thoughtful expression appearing on his face. “Although,” he murmured, “I’m not sure if that is the reason, because I’m fairly certain Teukie-hyung never found out about that…”

“And — and that’s how he showed you a ‘better way of life’?” Changmin choked, still stuck on the thought of Kyuhyun watching that in…in Heaven.

“He also introduced me to rock bands,” Kyuhyun added, jubilantly. “Do you know how many instruments they have? And none of them are harps!”

“…I think I need to meet this Heechul-hyung."

Kyuhyun settled back into the bed, a content expression on his face. “He can be a bridesmaid at our wedding,” he said, taking Changmin's hand.

Changmin pushed it off. “Shut up Kyuhyun.”

“Okay, I will,” Kyuhyun agreed. “I’m tired anyway.” He pulled the blankets around his body, and closed his eyes.

“Wha — Kyuhyun!” Changmin spluttered. “Get out!”

“I'm sorry, but I can't reply to that,” Kyuhyun murmured, his eyes closed, and his lips curved into a smile. “You told me to shut up.”