Final

Happy Birthday

Tear-clouded brown eyes watched the hands on the watch tick by. Seven minutes until midnight. Seven minutes until his birthday was over. No one had said anything all day; his friends, the company, the members who still hung around the dorm on an uneventful Saturday. A singular tear rolled down his cheek, but Yixing banished the offensive droplet. Zhang Yixing wouldn't cry for something so insignificant as a 24th birthday. It was hardly important; just another day.

 

Stairs squeaked somewhere behind him, but Yixing didn't care. It wasn't his room, after all. He shouldn't care if someone else decided the sitting room was a good place to while away the midnight hour.

 

"Bit late to be up, Yixing."

 

He knew that voice. It was rich with humor and a carefree attitude he wished he could possess. Luhan had never been known for serious behavior. The mischievous man was prone to prank and mock and laugh as often as a situation would allow. And sometimes, more often than a situation would allow. They had never been close, too different to be friends. But Yixing wondered how they soon became like brothers. Yixing, though, saw the attraction he held. He could understand people's gravitation toward him and the others. They were smart and successful, creative and witty.

 

"Not speaking to me, Yixing?"

 

Said man continued to stare out the window, his eyes drawn to the moon without really seeing it. Its light shone, casting a whitish aura on everything it touched. The world outside this dorm looked peaceful.

 

"It's dark, so I know you aren't reading."

 

His voice sounded closer. Yixing squeezed his eyes tight, hoping the action would make Luhan disappear. His right eye cracked open slightly. He was next to him, his hand resting on his shoulder. A concerned, slightly worried look ghosted across his face before Luhan moved to sit in front of him.

 

"What's wrong?" Luhan asked, his voice barely a whisper as he spoke. Yixing hugged her knees to her chest, careful not to touch the man in front of him. Automatically, his shoulders shrugged as he used his shirt sleeve to wipe the moisture from his eyes.

 

"It's nothing," he finally said. His eyes glanced down at the watch. Five minutes.

 

"Right, because it would make sense to cry over nothing," Luhan retorted, standing up. Yixing watched him move. He hadn't changed much over the years. Curly hair, barely noticeable freckled cheeks, a growth spurt had shot him up to just over five foot eight. His once gangly frame had filled out from years of soccer; arms and legs strong and muscular, stomach flat and toned. He blushed when his eyes connected with his own. If he wasn't mistaken, a flash of a smirk danced on his face. Yixing looked back down at the watch. Four minutes and 30 seconds.

 

"I've had a not so good day today," Yixing confided, eyes still set on his watch. The couch sagged under his weight, his right leg brushing against his sock-clad toes. He left them there this time, glad for any little touch.

 

Luhan nodded, pushing his shaggy hair off his forehead. "Wanna talk about it?"

 

The man shook his head, letting it rest against the back of the couch. His eyes never left the watch.

 

"I know something you don't know." Yixing looked at him. Luhan's smile was taunting and full of delight.

 

"Oh, really? And what is it?" His curiosity always bested him. He knew that much about the young, book loving man. Luhan examined him, entranced by brown eyes that held traces of sadness lit up at the thought of a new discovery. Luhan laughed, noticing the way his spine straightened in anticipation.

 

"Can't tell you."

 

Yixing raised an eyebrow. "Why not?"

 

"Because then you and I will both know it," he answered. "And then I can't tease you with 'I know something you don't know'."

 

The younger let out a groan, swung his feet to the floor, and began to move toward the staircase.

 

"Today's your birthday."

 

His left foot had just hit the first step when he stopped. Slowly, Yixing turned his head to look at him, his mouth open as if to ask a very important question.

 

"Okay, so maybe you do know that," Luhan amended, standing up, but with no intentions of coming closer. Yixing turned fully now to look at him. A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth at the thought of Luhan's face blushing madly. The younger moved closer to him, an arm chair in between them.

 

"I did, in fact, know that," he replied, a chuckle escaping with his words. He looked down at his watch.

 

Three minutes.

 

"Is that why it's been a bad day?" Luhan asked. "Not a fan of being another year older?"

 

Yixing produced a mirthless laugh. "No, that's not it."

 

"Didn't get what you wanted?" he guessed.

 

"You're getting warmer."

 

Luhan stepped to the side of the chair, a foot of space in between them.

 

"Was it a unicorn? Is that what you were hoping for?"

 

His eyes dropped down to look at his feet, the grip on his watch tightening. "No, that wasn't it."

 

"Well, thank goodness for that," Luhan replied with a laugh. "Wherever would we put a unicorn?"

 

Yixing joined in his laughter. "Yes, because there is absolutely no room for any other wild animals in the dorm."

 

A hand landed on his heart as Luhan pulled a pained look on his face. "That hurts, Yixing, really, truly, deeply hurts. I'm offended. Wounded. Might never be right again."

 

Yixing took a step closer, glanced at the watch. Two minutes. He put a comforting hand on Luhan's left arm and said, "I'm sure you'll live."

 

Luhan smiled. "So tell me what it was that's put you in such a horrid mood on your birthday. Please?"

 

His resolve slipped as Luhan cast his deep brown eyes in his direction. "No one remembered," he told him, his voice soft, on the cusp of broken. He wouldn't cry though, had done that enough already. "Not Suho hyung, not Kris hyung, not even Tao. And if they did remember, well, they haven't let on that they did. I don't care about that though. It's just, for once, it would be nice to have a little bit of the spotlight on me for something that isn't dance related or work related or EXO related. You must think I'm being silly."

 

Arms pulled his lithe frame closer to a warm body. "It's not silly at all," Luhan whispered, his breath tickling the shell of his ear. Yixing turned his head to look into Luhan's eyes. Never before had he seen sadness in them. Instantly, he regretted the thought that he was to blame for it. Yixing shook his head, trying to rattle loose those thoughts. Instead, he relaxed into the hug, glad that someone (even Luhan) cared.

 

It was over too soon, he thought, as Luhan's arms untangled themselves from him. Yixing felt cold without the comforting hand rubbing soothing circles on his back. His arms clutched his waist, trying to regain hold of that feeling that coursed through him as Luhan held him. His cheeks were pink, Yixing realized; his eyes looking everywhere but at him.

 

"I'm gonna go to bed," Luhan declared, clearing his throat. He was three stairs up when he looked back at him. "Happy Birthday, Yixing."

 

12:01 am.

 

Yixing laughed, standing two steps below him. "It's not my birthday anymore."


To our amazingly talented, kind hearted unicorn,

          It's your birthday today! I'm so proud of you. Words can't express how lucky I am to find someone like you. Never have I seen such compassion in one person. You care about everyone, don't you? You care about everyone else more than you care about yourself, right? We, the fans, are all touched by your kindness. Congratulations on turning 23 (now 24 in Korean age)! You will always hold a special place in this girl's heart. Oh, and I heard you were gifted with a forest? Congrats! You should leave your unicorn spirits there or something. Lol. Anyway, you are an amazing person. You really are. You have a wonderful personality along with a kind heart that has charmed everyone. Even though you weren't my first bias, you were the best choice I've ever had. And if you're reading this (which I really, really hope you will... someday), I am thankful to have met you, Zhang Yi Xing.  生日快乐! <3

P.S. I really wish I could've attended your birthday party. Oh well, there's always a next time! :)

Forever your number one fan (self claimed, sorry!),

-HML