001

to you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment I saw you (only you)
Was the moment you entered deep in my heart (only you)
I don’t regret choosing you (only you)
Yes, I only want you

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Have you ever wondered that promises are indeed made to be broken? Well, it is true that promises can lull one’s heart and even seduce one’s soul, but the problem with promises is that once you have made one, it is bound to be broken, either intentionally or not. It is more or less like an unspoken cosmic rule. And guess what, although it may not seem like it, but the receiving end of a broken promise actually gets hurt. Not to mention that sometimes it takes such a long time to trust those who have given broken promises again, right? Right. Therefore, some people tend to always say do not ever promise anything if you cannot keep it. It is understandable; no one wants to get disappointed and hurt in the end of the day.

Baekhyun knows this; he knows that promises should never be made if the intention is just to break it. Why? Because he knows promises are a lot like impressions, wherein the second one does not count for much. He also knows that breaking a simple promise can break the receiving end as well, thus, he tries his best to always keep his promises. He knows people make mistake too, which means sometimes they also break their promises. But when we always do our best to keep our promises, it is just right for us to want the same thing from other people, no?

So when Chanyeol promised Baekhyun that he would come to the celebration of the latter’s twenty second birthday, the boy immediately looked forward to his special day. With their respective schedules (or more like Chanyeol’s), it is hard to slip even a short hang-out session for them. The phone calls may happen everyday, but to be really facing each other takes too much effort and risk. Baekhyun can just come to Chanyeol’s first-class apartment in Gangnam, though, but what is the point of his visit if the one he is looking for is not there most of the time?

But now, even after Baekhyun’s classmates are gone back to their respective houses, leaving only him, Michi, and empty glasses and plates on his dining table, Chanyeol is still nowhere to be seen.

“Baekhyun,” Michi breaks the silence, eyes stealing a quick glance at her soft pink Baby-G wristwatch circling her left wrist. It has been almost an hour since the last of Baekhyun’s friends left, yet the birthday boy has not spoken anything until now. She is deeply worried that her cousin is turning mute for real tonight. “It is past midnight already. He is not going to come.”

The boy swipes his thumb over his phone screen to unlock the device only to see that, nope, there is no message or missed call. He puts his phone back on the perfectly polished wooden table (eyes lingering a bit longer on his hummingbird phonestrap, the one matching with Chanyeol’s) and leans back, sighing as he eyes the slice of tart on his plate. It is full of whipped cream and fruits cuts, just like how he likes it. He purposely saved it from the chaos caused by his friends earlier.

“Byun Baekhyun,” the girl tries again, her hands moving to clasp around the said boy’s pretty one. “He is a busy person. We know it, you know it.”

Baekhyun’s free hand balls into a fist as he visibly gulps, probably trying not to be too emotional. “He has promised me, Michi. I know he is coming.”

Shaking her head in defeat and muttering a weak whatever, Michi then stands up and gathers all the used kitchen utensils, putting them in the sink and washing them right away. At every sigh heard from behind her, she cannot help but pray for Chanyeol to at least send—

A loud screech coming from Baekhyun’s chair being pushed backward gets Michi drop the forks in her hands.

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun is just right in time to catch the taller male before his handsome face meets the cold floor. He swears he heard something like happy birthday but he is not sure, though. He props a young-executive-looking Chanyeol up, stumbling a little while slipping his slender arm around the other’s waist for support. Baekhyun’s small, amber eyes widen as he takes in his best friend’s messy appearance. “Why are you sweating so much?”

“It is nothing,” Chanyeol tries to stand up straight but his legs have given up. Michi quickly dries her hands using a napkin before rushing to her cousin’s side to help him properly propping the towering male up. Once the golden brown haired male feels that his legs are strong enough again, he smiles down at Michi in gratefulness before pulling away from the girl only to engulf Baekhyun in his embrace. He then kisses the top of the shorter boy’s head twice. “Happy birthday, my Tinkerbaek! I am sorry I came late.”

Baekhyun’s face instantly breaks into a big smile and his arms find their way to wrap around Chanyeol’s torso tight. “You are here now, Peterchan. That is what is important.”

Michi is busy fangirling over the two boys (and thanking the Heaven because the usual glowing Baekhyun is back since Chanyeol is here) when suddenly Junmyeon comes dashing in with an equally sweaty face. Hands on his knees, he takes a moment to catch his breath before straightening his posture up and massaging his temples once he sees that Chanyeol and Baekhyun are hugging with happy smiles on their faces. “Chanyeol is the craziest, I swear. He ran all the way here from the set.”

“He—” Michi’s jaw drops. “—what?!”

Junmyeon gulps the remaining coke in a can (he does not care whose can it was) on the table and sits on the nearest chair, massaging his tired legs. His legs will not be working well tomorrow, that is for sure. “We were filming for the last episode of My Turn to Cry when he suddenly broke into a run after noticing that it was a bit past midnight. The location is not that far from here, but still… ugh! I do not understand why he—”

“It… It was Baekhyun’s birthday, oppa,” Michi answers in almost a whisper, finding it hard to believe what she has just heard. Her eyes shift to look closely at Chanyeol’s beaming face. Did he really just… “Chanyeol oppa promised to come to Baekhyun’s birthday celebration.”

Something clicks above Junmyeon’s head as he opens his mouth but not saying anything. And as he witnesses how Chanyeol and Baekhyun look at each other with something in their eyes that more or less seems like a great affection, how Baekhyun’s face is luminous as he is trapped in Chanyeol’s arms, and how Chanyeol playfully nuzzles their noses together once in a while, he admits that it is there. He can see it, he can feel it.

“You can see it, right?” Michi inquires, head tilting to the side as she leans against the kitchen counter, eyes following the two males who are now walking to the living room. “It is so obvious.”

“It is still there, huh?”

“Mmhm. Amazing, isn’t it? They indeed gravitate to each other, even I get jealous sometimes,” Michi giggles. “All they need is a confirmation.”

Junmyeon heaves out a defeated sigh. Confirmation is what they will never get with the current situation they are in now.

 

✾✾✾

 

Young and charming, that is what people know of the twenty six years old Park Chanyeol, or who is better known by Actor Park, the most-wanted idol in Korean entertainment world. Having debuted as a class heartthrob with red hair in a teenage movie called Love Love Love when he was barely twenty three, he has successfully captivated everyone’s heart with his dimpled smile and honey deep voice. And even before his second movie, Miracles in December, was in the cinemas, the number of registered fans on his official fans club reached over three hundred thousand people. Directors come looking for him every now and then, offering a big sum of money if he agrees to be in their movies. Moreover, Chanyeol is so good with instruments (especially guitar and drums) that musicians continuously offer him a joint project or so.

That may be the dreams-come-true all the people in showbiz hope for, but Byun Baekhyun knows that Park Chanyeol does not really enjoy his current life.

Baekhyun has known the taller male for twenty two years, or exactly since his day one in this world. His father is a great friend of Mr. Park; they were deskmates back then in high school and are now partners in construction business. His father used to bring him along whenever he met Mr. Park for a meeting at the latter’s house, so he is really close to the Park family. Baekhyun does not remember how their friendship really began, but all he can remember is that Chanyeol always protected him during his childhood, be it from the bad weather, bad insects, or bad people. Back then, Mrs. Park always said that Chanyeol was kind of an unofficial bodyguard for Baekhyun and Michi—Baekhyun’s cousin who is five months younger than him—during their childhood. Hence the beautiful friendship between the three, and a strong one between Chanyeol and Baekhyun. The two males are so close (although they are four years apart) to the extent that Chanyeol allows Baekhyun to drop the formalities between them. Instead, they sometimes call each other with pet names.

According to Mrs. Park too, Chanyeol and Baekhyun have never been separated all this time. They spent their childhoods in laughter and tears together, sticking to each other whenever they went, even Mrs. Byun used to buy similar clothes for them just because she thought it would be fun. And even after years of practically being with each other most of the time, they have not found any reason to get bored at one another. If anything, their friendship has only become much more stronger. Chanyeol even remembers almost all of Baekhyun’s friends, and Baekhyun remembers all of Chanyeol’s friends as well, including his ex-boyfriends.

And although Chanyeol has become a popular actor, they still keep in touch. Back then during the first few months after Love Love Love, they could still hang out in random cafés, but now everything has changed. With the huge fame in Chanyeol’s hand in these past two years, his schedules are very exhausting and once he has a month with no schedule at all, he decides to spend it in Jeju Island, his hometown where his parents reside. His meet-ups with Baekhyun are never scheduled properly (and stay overs are a must when Chanyeol’s schedule-free days come), but phone calls and skype are greatly necessary; that is what they promised each other about four years ago when Chanyeol joined an agency and had his debut one year later.

 

✾✾✾

 

Baekhyun knows Chanyeol like the back of his hand and vice versa. They do not need any word to know what the other is feeling, just one look straight into their eyes and they can read one another like an open book. Baekhyun also remembers all the little habits Chanyeol has. He knows Chanyeol is covering up his nervousness whenever the bigger male draws little circles on his right thigh with his thumb; that is why he always hopes to be able to follow Chanyeol everywhere to give some mental support. He knows Chanyeol is lying when his best friend touches the left side of his neck during or in the end of his speech; that is why he always knows what statements are facts and lies during Chanyeol’s interview on the television. There are still so many things about Chanyeol which give away his real feelings that Baekhyun knows, and he is glad his brain is amazing enough to remember them all so that it makes things a whole lot easier whenever the older male keeps everything for himself only.

With all the public attention and recognition Chanyeol now has, one would suspect that life could not get better for him. Squealing fans wherever he goes, long queue line at the cinema whenever his movie is up, high rating for his drama series, and boxes of gifts sitting in front of his apartment door on monthly basis; Chanyeol is supposed to be all happy and smiley, right?

Wrong. Byun Baekhyun knows that behind all the blinding smiles and charming attitude, Park Chanyeol is also suffering.

Fans do not know that Chanyeol has been lacking of sleep because of his packed schedules. Fans do not know that Chanyeol always tires himself at the gym to build his muscles whenever some people criticize him for being not manly enough. Fans do not know that Chanyeol actually gets dizzy whenever they crowd up on him with blinding camera flashes and loud screams of his name. Fans do not know that Chanyeol truly hates being followed wherever he goes during his holidays, especially when he comes to visit his parents in Jeju Island. Fans do not know anything, because Chanyeol always puts on a smile. Fans do not know anything, but Baekhyun does. Baekhyun knows because it is about Chanyeol, his Park Chanyeol.

And fans also do not know that this Baekhyun is Actor Park’s best friend. Well, fans know that Byun Baekhyun is Chanyeol’s best friend (because Chanyeol proudly mentioned it during the premiere of his first drama series, XOXO), but the majority of the fans (especially the new ones) only know the name and not the face.

Contrary to how most people are when their friend is a popular idol, Baekhyun chooses to stay undercover. It is not that he is Xenophobia or something; he is just not one to like being the center of attention amongst strangers, and he surely does not want to be the one spotted with the center of attention. Fans will never see him at the filming set, though, simply because Baekhyun still has classes in university and the locations are mostly far from his house, so nope.

Baekhyun also dislikes the idea of being seen with Actor Park in public because it causes something uncomfortable to sit in his heart. He knows people may think he is just exaggerating about the whole being-anxious-because-of-the-fans thingy, but that is just how he is. He is indeed a bubbly boy, but he is always sensitive and anxious when it comes to ownership of friends. He prefers his circle of close friends to be as small as possible, which now proven to only consist of Junmyeon, Minseok, Luhan, Sehun, and Chanyeol (with the last one as the closest one, of course). Minseok and Luhan do not even know that he is friends with Actor Park, though, since he is good at hiding things.

Sometimes the fans catch them together on random days, and Baekhyun always hates whenever it happens because Chanyeol cannot be his best friend whenever the fans are around.

The fans always think they own Chanyeol.

Call Baekhyun coward or loser or whatever, but he has seen many examples about how fans disturb the life of an idol’s friend who is not an idol too, thinking that they can get closer to their idol by approaching their friend instead (but if the friend is considered to potentially be the idol’s lover, the fans will send their hatred in many possible ways).

Baekhyun wants to live a peaceful life, thank you very much.

He also acknowledges the fact that Chanyeol does too much skinship with him, and so does he to the older male. Therefore, he is afraid that people will misunderstand it although the excuse of best friends can be used. Not that he hates being assumed to be Chanyeol’s boyfriend or something, but he hates being accused of stealing Actor Park from his fans.

When people brag about their idol friends and proudly post whatever activities they are doing with them, Baekhyun chooses to never post anything on his SNS that he knows Actor Park, let alone tell the whole world what they are doing. He really does not want to cause any fuss out there that will probably trouble them. Better stay safe, right?

Being a successful actor was what Chanyeol wanted when he was twelve, Baekhyun recalls, but now he can see that his tall best friend kind of regrets it. His best friend may look like he enjoys his glory, but he knows the towering male actually does not. Chanyeol often speaks his heart out to him—about no longer having his privacy, about no longer having his freedom. But Chanyeol is one to never disappoint others, so he forces himself to always be the best everyone out there expects him to be.

As for Baekhyun himself, he is in his last year in the university, majoring in Architecture. He also has a part time job, which is being a barista along with Luhan as the cashier in Minseok’s coffee shop on weekends for these past ten months. His life may seem boring and tiring, but he is content with it.

With different occupations Chanyeol and Baekhyun have, people will never expect that they are related, best friends even. Fans will never expect that the first person Chanyeol phones good morning everyday is this Byun Baekhyun, and no one will ever expect that the person Baekhyun texts goodnight before he goes to bed is the famous Actor Park. Only their families (including Michi), Junmyeon—Chanyeol’s manager, and the mutual friends of Baekhyun and Chanyeol really know about what they are to each other.

So, what are Chanyeol and Baekhyun? A lot more than best friends but not yet to be boyfriends, that is what Michi always concludes whenever she gets so fed up with the confusing relationship between her two male friends. They do not put a label on what they are, but they always prioritize each other first.

 

✾✾✾

 

“Michi, I am going to Sehun’s house. Do you want to tag along?” Baekhyun asks, bending down to tie his worn out sneakers. It is not that he is too poor to buy a new one, but this pair of black with white stripes sneakers was Chanyeol’s Christmas gift for him two years ago. Well, the clothes on his body right now are actually also from Chanyeol. Baekhyun always treasures everything given by the older male so much, not caring if it is just a grain of salt or a small pack of sugar. Once he is done tying his sneakers, he fixes his baby blue cardigan and looks back at his cousin who is busy reading whatever it is on her phone, probably some fanfic again.

“Nah, it is Wednesday,” the girl glances up at the clock hanging on the wall and immediately scrambles up to turn the television on after noticing the time. “It is time for My Turn to Cry! Chanyeol oppa’s drama! Ah, I wonder if today’s episode is full of surprises like the previous one. Damn, I cried hard when Minho died last week.”

Remembering that nothing beats Chanyeol oppa’s drama, Baekhyun just chuckles in amusement. “Funny how you always get all excited to watch Chanyeol’s drama when you can just call him and ask how the plot is going.”

“That is not fun, Byun,” Michi flips through some channels before stopping at KBS and leans back on the sofa. “Way to kill my mood.”

“And if I am not mistaken too, you like reading fanfics about Chanyeol,” Baekhyun laughs. “Do you not feel awkward when Chanyeol comes here, then? I mean, you read fantasies about someone you know who practically also knows you.”

“Shush! The drama is on! Go away now or I will—”

“Okay, okay. I am out! Geez,” the chestnut brown haired boy then shouts a be back later before opening his front door—

“Oof,” he closes his eyes in reflex as someone suddenly pulls him in for a bear hug. He is about to scream in panic when suddenly his brain recognizes the all too familiar warmth. And as he inhales the particular musky scent he likes so much, his heart starts pounding faster and louder and he feels as if he is soaring to the sky for the happiness surrounding him now. He is here! The corners of his lips twitch before a warm smile appears on his beautiful face as he returns the hug. It has been a little over a month since the last time they met each other, which was the day after Baekhyun’s birthday. “Chanyeol!”

No one says I missed you or something along the lines but with the way the hug becomes tighter, they understand the unbearable longing in their souls. They used to play together after school back then, but now it is hard to just have a peaceful meet up because of Chanyeol’s fans who seem to be everywhere. They used to go to school together (although they attended different schools), but now it is hard to just walk leisurely together because of the fear that fans will catch them and make a chaos. They used to be just Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol, but now it has changed into Byun Baekhyun and Actor Park.

Chanyeol finally pulls away, though, much to Baekhyun’s dismay. However, his hands casually stay on the shorter male’s hips, as if they are meant to be there. He eyes Baekhyun up and down, taking in the cute appearance the latter is sporting by wearing a baby blue cardigan over a white t-shirt with a pair of hummingbirds printed on the front and dark blue jeans. He is wearing my gifts. “Is my Baby Smurf going somewhere?”

“Mmhm! To Sehun’s house!” Baekhyun is quick to reply as he fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter