The Overprotective Brother

12 Older Brothers

It was already past eleven and the concert should be ending soon. I look up from my phone and see Kai already fast asleep on his bed so I decided to play on his iPad. We've been in the room for hours and I can't believe how much I knew so much about him. I really didn't think Kai would open up that much but I was surprised. He even lent me his iPad and made me play this racing game that he was addicted to and... I agree. I've been playing it since he fell asleep. 

I was just about to finish the race when the door opens. I put the iPad down beside me and see the members coming in. They haven't changed from their stage outfits and proceed to look at their member who was sleeping soundly. 

"Aww, I was looking forward to see his happy face at the sight of these" Tao says carrying two bags of dog food that made raise both my eyebrows at him. Tao noticed my expression and explains, "Kai has three dogs and today a fan has gifted him with these treats"

"Aw, so sweet of them" I say finally remembering the barks from his phone call with his noona. I also remembered the time where he hugged me back that suddenly made the hairs on the back of my neck rise upon remembering. I never imagined that I could even hug an EXO member who is not my brother.

I start rubbing the back of my neck then and see my brother coming towards me after talking with Kris. 

"Hope, are you tired? Joon hyung will be here in a minute to drop you home" He says as he puts an arm around my shoulder. I shook my head but suddenly I yawned making him laugh. My brother and I spoke for a moment and I'm surprised at how much of a heavy sleeper Kai is. With the amount of members crowding the room, shouldn't he at least open his eyes? 

Both managers came in later on with food and began to feed the boys and I swear they were all salivating when Manager Joon was just opening the plastic bag that made me think of them as actual wolves under the full moon. Hehe, too funny Hope! Not. 

Chen was first to attack followed by Chanyeol and the rest. Once the food was served, the managers stepped out because they have to handle some business with the media due to Kai's injury.

Everyone was scattered in the room, some were sitting on the couch, some were on the floor, and Suho's sitting on the foot of Kai's bed.

My brother offered me food but seeing how hungry they all are, I just refused. Besides, I'm more sleepy than hungry.

"Why does the room smell like fried chicken?" Kai's voice suddenly made everyone stop what their doing. Suho turns around and finds Kai struggling to sit up.

"Take it easy, man. You need to rest" Suho says with much sympathy. Kai did not object and just lays back down on the bed as he stared down at s. 

"How did it go?" He asks.

"The concert? It was great! Baekhyun got attacked by a fan" Chanyeol says letting himself get locked into Baekhyun's chokes. Chanyeol almost gagged the food in his mouth but quickly covered it with his hands and swallowed.

"What do you mean?" Kai asks, worry suddenly painted on his face. The guys began to snicker a laughter making Kai and I exchange glances. 

"A fan ran up the stage and literally started kissing Baekhyun. Trust me, it was not a good image to see" Chen says to him and later on his face scrunched up as he recalled the image. Baekhyun sighs, "my poor lips have been violated" he says as he puts a finger on his pouting lips. The guys and I just laugh. Even though it was pretty much a horrific memory for him, it was quite funny. Actually, I shouldn't even laugh but... sorry Baek. 

"Anyways, what have you two done? Must be boring getting stuck in the hospital room" Suho asks turning to me. I shrug, "Just talked and played a game on the iPad" 

"That's... it?" We all turn to Sehun who had one of his eyebrows raised. `He even has this playful smirk on his lips.

"What else could there be?" Kai asks looking annoyed at his friend. Sehun just shrugged and takes a bite of his food.

"Ya, maknae. Don't even try to imply anything." My brother warned. The atmosphere in the room suddenly gets cold upon my brother's voice. 

"Huh?" I ask, clueless. My brother sighs and looks at s before turning to me. His eyes looked at me intently that it seems like it's gonna burn down my soul.

"I will say this once and never again: You're not dating any of the members" He says making, not just me, but s gasp. My cheeks warm up. I never really thought about dating any of them because I know it's not allowed and they're obviously out of my league. How can he be so straightforward?

"O--oppa. Why the sudden--"

"I know, I know. I'm just saying this now but you can't. Not only is EXO banned from dating for the next couple of years but as your brother, you're not dating any of these idiots." Minseok oppa says as he crosses his arms in front of them. The guys faced him, dumbfounded at the sudden remark from their oldest hyung.

"Hyung, you're insulting!" Kai says.

"That hurts!" Suho says.

"You're mean!" Tao says.

"I'm telling Baekhyun's grandma on you!" Lay says making us turn to him. Baekhyun looks at him with his mouth hanging open, "Why put my grandma in this?"

Lay shrugs making s shake their head at the randomness.

"Yeah, sorry. But my sister is off limits even if the ban is lifted. Especially you, Oh Sehun" Sehun raises both his hands in surrender.

"Even if I have feelings for her, I'm not one to just go and date her. I'm smart enough not to do that" Sehun says and turns his face towards Baekhyun's direction. Baekhyun realized the sudden glance and quickly fumbled with the piece of cloth wrapped around his wrist. The atmosphere suddenly looked tense as the room grew silent.

I notice my brother's gaze on the maknae. Having been a fan of EXO for quite a while, I can already tell the types of personalities that each member holds. My brother in particular is not one who really shows a tough side. Sure, he has that charm on stage but there's something with the way his eyes always looked soft whenever he's on variety shows. He's not as silly as Chanyeol or Baekhyun nor does he act too cold like Kris. He's usually the quiet one. But seeing the look on his eyes, I was worried. I'm not one to get on my brother's, or any of the members', bad side. Even my eyes landed on the leader, Suho had his eyes fixed on the maknae but no one spoke a word until Sehun spoke up once again.

"I said, if." Sehun clarifies and suddenly looks at me, "Don't get me wrong, Hope. You're pretty and all but... I respect the company and especially my members." I was not sure if I should take that the wrong way but for some reason it made my whole body heat up that I start fanning myself. How can he be so blunt at this state? He's the freaking maknae for pete's sake but he acts like the oldest.

I saw the way my brother start to get up from his seat that my hand held onto his arm as reflex. My brother looked at me and suddenly, I felt a slight pang of relief when his eyes were soft again. He leaned back on the couch once again when Kris suddenly clears his throat, "Who's staying here and who's not? Two people only"

The guys looked at each other for a moment and Suho was first to raise his hand.

"I will" Suho says.

"I'll be here too" Chanyeol says. Kris gives them a nod and starts letting everyone know that they should head out as they have a flight for China tomorrow. When everyone was busy cleaning up, I just sat on the couch trying to prevent myself from sleeping. I mean as much as I want to sleep right at this moment, I did not exactly want to be rude to the guys.

My eyes start to close when I notice Luhan come sit next to me and nudge my arm. I force to open my eyes but they just want to give up. I hear Luhan chuckle next to me and felt a warm hand on the top of my head. 

"Just sleep, Hope. We'll wake you up when we have to leave." I didn't bother answering him but just nod my head and lean my head on the couch.

*Xiumin's POV* (A/N: Sorry guys for the sudden change of perspectives. I was thinking that I might actually change the point of view for the rest of the chapters--what I mean is instead of writing "I", I will use "She" "He" etc. etc... so third person POV. Let me know your thoughts in the comments if you're fine with the change!)

"Hyung, we'll head out first. Rest well, Kai!" Lay says before stepping out of the room. Kai waves at him leaving Xiumin with the K members. Xiumin has asked his manager if he could come with him to drop his sister home and the manager didn't hesitate an answer. Considering how Xiumin has finally get to see his sister again, the manager tried his best to meet the needs of the siblings and their grandfather despite the busy schedules.

Manager Min has already left with the M members and later, the K members will be driven home as soon as they drop off Hope.

The members just made themselves comfortable in the hospital talking to Kai about the concert, their upcoming concert in China, and other future plans. There are even times where the young ones would tease their oldest hyungs Suho and Xiumin. Even though they have an , all the members treat each other as friends, or actually, brothers. 

Xiumin is sitting right next to his sister as he chatted with s. 

"I just hope you won't injure yourself anymore after this, Kai" Suho says as he pinched Kai's cheeks hard enough to leave a red mark. Kai slaps his hyung's hand away and rub his cheeks as he glares at him. 

"I'll work harder!"

"Ya, ya, ya! Kim Jongin. You work too hard you can sleep anywhere. I know how packed our schedules are but you don't need to dance in the plane" DO says. Kai rubs the back of his neck as he remembers the paparazzi pictures of him in the airport always yawning and someone has even uploaded a video of him in the plane, dancing and getting scolded by the flight attendants and the pilot. Of course, it made headlines but luckily the issue stopped circulating when they made a comeback.

"Araseo" Kai says with a slight pout. His eyes suddenly wander to the girl right next to his Xiumin hyung. Her head was on his shoulder and even though it may look disgusting, he finds it amusing that she drools in her sleep. 

"So you're the same age as me?" Kai says with his eyes widen at her as she narrows her eyes at him.

"Why is that so hard to believe?"

"Because you're so short! You're like what, five feet? Or no, you're less than five feet, are you?" Kai joked receiving a hard slap on his arm from his new friend. She was sitting right next to him on the bed as he showed her some game on his iPad.

"I don't care if you're an idol but honestly you're getting on my nerves" She says as she rolls her eyes and puffs her cheeks at him. Kai just smiles and passes her his iPad to play. 

"Don't even think of me as an idol, Hope."

"But you are, Kai. You're EXO Kai. EXO's Dancing Machine." She says not looking at him as she focuses on the game. A frown suddenly formed on his lips. Sure, he may be EXO's dancing machine but there are times where he just wants to be known as Kim Jongin. 

Kai remained silent as Hope played the game. The room only filled with the music coming from the game itself. Right when Hope finishes the race, she starts bouncing on the bed as she won first place. Kai laughed at the childish actions that Hope has just showed him. He still couldn't believe how close they just got for such a short period. He even noticed the similarities Hope has with her brother: the way they puff their cheeks in frustration, the same coloured hazelnut eyes, the way they smile. They really look like siblings even if Hope is not exactly a pure Korean.

"Kai! I won! I beat your high score!" She says pointing at the screen. Kai just laughed and nods his head, "Yeah, yeah. Don't rub it in!"

"This is fun, I'll download it on my phone. Do they have this game on android though?" She asks more to herself rather than Kai. He watches her look through her phone and he didn't expect himself to speak up the words to Hope.

"Hope, can you call me Jongin from now on?" Hope's head turns to him and he really noticed the way her cheeks blushed that got him to be more fond of her.

"Why?" She asks as she slightly tilts her head to the side. Kai bit his lip and hesitated for a while, "Err, we're friends now, right?". It was true. They got close pretty quickly and Hope doesn't seem to be harmful... she is Kim Minseok's half-sister. Kim Minseok, the nicest and most quiet member of EXO, the most caring hyung he could ever asked for... after their leader Suho of course.

Then again, the other half may be bad genes...

Hope turns away and shakes her head slowly, "Yeah but... you're EXO Kai and I'm... Hope."

"But you call Minseok hyung by his real name"

"But he's my brother, Kai" 'There it goes again, Kai, Kai, Kai', he thought to himself. 

"Well, I still want you to call me Jongin. If you call me Kai I won't respond"

"But Kai--" Kai turns his body from her and begins to put the blanket over his body to pretend to sleep. Hope rolls her eyes and nudges Kai on the arm.

"Kai"

No response.

"Kai"

Again, no response. Hope sighs and nudges him harder on the arm but being careful not to injure him any further.

"Ya, Kai!" She yells. Kai flinches yet he still didn't turn to her. 

"Kay fine. J--Jong... Jongin" She stutters. Kai smiles at himself and finally turns to Hope who was blushing even more. 

"I never thought you could be this annoying" She says getting up from his bed to move back in the couch. Kai just laughed, "I'm telling you. I'm not just EXO's dancing machine. I'm Kim Jongin"

"Whoa, hyung. You really are siblings. You have the same sleeping habits, she even drools!" DO says as he grabs tissues from the table next to Kai's bed to wipe the drool that was coming from Hope's lips. 

Xiumin lets out a chuckle and looks at his sister. He places a hand on the top of her head and continue to watch his dongsaeng sleep. Something tugged at his heart at the sight of the sleeping girl right beside him. It already satisfied him to hear her light snores that makes him a lot happier ever since he joined EXO.

"Hyung, how are you going to tell her?" DO suddenly asks. Xiumin looks away from his sister and looks at DO, he also noticed the rest of the members' gazes on him. 

"I don't know..." It was the only thing he could say. He didn't want to force his sister in remembering him because it might only frighten her or rather, it might frighten him when she remembers what happened. He was afraid that they might separate again and that's one thing he would not want to happen, not again.

"Is there even a chance she'll remember anything, anything it all?" Kai asks. Xiumin shrugs and remembers the day very well. He regretted it, he regretted every moment of it. The moment he stepped out, he hasn't turned back ever since.

"Grandpa, what are you doing here?" Xiumin asks as his grandfather arrives at the park. It has been more than three months since he saw his grandfather or even contacted him but his grandfather's physique has definitely changed. His grandpa looked as if he had added more years in his age, his usual partial gray hair is beginning to turn more white, the wrinkles on his face multiplied... it worried him.

"Minseok" His grandpa began to say but before he could even sit down, his grandfather's arms quickly wrapped around him. Minseok was surprised but maybe it was just his grandpa's way of expressing his feelings, it has been a while since they last saw each other so he probably misses his grandson dearly. 

"Grandpa, wh--"

"Minseok, don't be surprised okay?" His grandpa's voice was soft but Minseok can tell the strain from the tone. His grandpa slowly pulls away and looks into his eyes. Minseok saw the sadness in his eyes and was shock to see a tear fall on the corner of the old man's eye. He has never seen his grandfather look so... so fragile before.

"Kim Minseok... there is something you need to know... Jimin..." Minseok flinch at the name and for some reason he didn't want to hear what his grandpa has to say. It already hurt him when he last heard the name and he vowed to himself to never hear it again or say it again to avoid the hole on his heart.

"Jimin... Jimin is...she...she's in a coma." The last word made Minseok's legs give in. His grandpa kneeled down in front of him and cup his face to look at him in the eye. Minseok couldn't look at his grandfather in the eye. He wishes he's lying, wishing that this is only a dream.

"How... how is she in a coma?" He asks suddenly as he begins to feel the lump on his throat.

"She... she ran away... for weeks since you left she wouldn't eat, she won't sleep, she won't talk... she misses you that she attempted to find you. The next thing I knew I get a call from a hospital saying my granddaughter got into a hit and run. She's been in a coma for... for almost two months."

"Then why didn't you tell me this earlier?"

"I... I didn't want to worry you and let you get hurt, grandson."

"I don't care! You should've told me!" Minseok shouted, anger filling his eyes. He wasn't angry at his grandpa, he was angry at himself. If he didn't leave, maybe his sister wouldn't have ran away... maybe... just maybe Jimin wouldn't even be in that state.

A tear suddenly rolled down on Xiumin's cheek and he quickly wipes it with his hand. The members saw it and chose not to say anything. They know how much their hyung has been looking after his sister from a distance and now that he's right beside her, they all hoped that everything works out.

"Jimin" Xiumin whispers as he stares his sister. The Jimin he knew may be gone now but he knows that there is Hope.

*

Xiumin ends up carrying his sister until they reach the apartment. His grandfather welcomed him and even though this is the only second time he has stepped in their home, he felt that he belonged here. If only he didn't have such a busy schedule, maybe he would be able to spend more of his free time here. 

"How is Kai?" His grandpa asks as soon as Xiumin lay his sister on her bed. 

"He's better, he just needs rest. Suho and Chanyeol are there."

"Good" His grandpa says. Xiumin smiles at him slightly, "I better get going, I have to pack for the flight tomorrow"

Xiumin was just about to step out of the bedroom until his grandfather called him.

"Minseok" 

"Yes?"

"Jimin may have lost her memories with you but you can always make new ones with Hope"